PDA

View Full Version : question:: white sox drafts

guillensmofia
07-31-2006, 03:54 PM
I was browsing the WS website and came accross the draft picks/results. Some have signed, some haven't. Are these fresh from high school/college? Just bored. And curious about these. It's a pretty long list of people - are they going to play for the WS or used for trades...? I'm totally clueless on this - any info would be super :)

Randar68
07-31-2006, 04:22 PM
I was browsing the WS website and came accross the draft picks/results. Some have signed, some haven't. Are these fresh from high school/college? Just bored. And curious about these. It's a pretty long list of people - are they going to play for the WS or used for trades...? I'm totally clueless on this - any info would be super :)
Here is a thread that covers who has and hasn't signed (3rd post with signed players in bold)

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73123

Britt Burns
07-31-2006, 05:19 PM

Generally speaking, if a player, especially one drafted in the lower rounds, hasn't signed by now, he probably won't. The exception to this are players who are attending JUCOs and are eligible for the draft and follow process, where the Sox see how they develop over the course of a year and then decide if they want to try and sign them before the 2007 draft (for instance, Mark Buerhle was a DFE).

The Sox have two picks who slid down in the draft due to signability conerns, an Illinois high school pitcher named Wade Kapteyn and a catcher from Cal-Riverside named Jeffery Dunbar. While highly doubtful, the Sox could make a last minute push to sign one or both of them before college classes start and their eligibility to sign a professional contract expires. The Sox kept trying to entice Jordan Danks, who was drafted in the 20th round (but would have been a top-10 pick had he not been adamant about going to college) into turning pro last year right until he attended his first class at UT.

Randar68
07-31-2006, 05:40 PM
The Sox have two picks who slid down in the draft due to signability conerns, an Illinois high school pitcher named Wade Kapteyn and a catcher from Cal-Riverside named Jeffery Dunbar. While highly doubtful, the Sox could make a last minute push to sign one or both of them before college classes start and their eligibility to sign a professional contract expires. The Sox kept trying to entice Jordan Danks, who was drafted in the 20th round (but would have been a top-10 pick had he not been adamant about going to college) into turning pro last year right until he attended his first class at UT.

In addition to Kapteyan and Dunbar, the Sox will watch several other of these prospects play summer ball, and will likely attempt to sign a few more of these high-ceiling prospects who slid in the draft. Will they put enough money on the table? I dunno, but with the way Kenny likes to trade, I would sure like to see the Sox take a flier on 3-6 of these kids and use some of that extra revenue towards restocking the system.

Why can the Yankees and Cubs sign guys to contract WAY above and beyond their draft round records but the Sox seem obliged to stick to the commissioner's office recommendations? I know JR and Selig are friends, but if Selig can't control the other teams, why should the Sox miss the opportunity other teams are taking advantage of?

Britt Burns
07-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Why can the Yankees and Cubs sign guys to contract WAY above and beyond their draft round records but the Sox seem obliged to stick to the commissioner's office recommendations? I know JR and Selig are friends, but if Selig can't control the other teams, why should the Sox miss the opportunity other teams are taking advantage of?

No kidding. Especially the way the Yank$ have snapped up free agents in Latin America. They have spent as much on several players from there just this season as most teams pay in bonuses for their entire draft...

At least with the cubs, they might blow through the guidelines but at least you know whoever they sign will be a bust-and an expensive one at that.

caulfield12
08-01-2006, 09:21 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2508432

Where are/were the White Sox again?

I know there were quotes recently about the Sox efforts in Venezuela and how basically the Yankees outbid them...

MadetoOrta
08-01-2006, 09:45 AM
No kidding. Especially the way the Yank$ have snapped up free agents in Latin America. They have spent as much on several players from there just this season as most teams pay in bonuses for their entire draft...

At least with the cubs, they might blow through the guidelines but at least you know whoever they sign will be a bust-and an expensive one at that.

I do get exasperated reading all of these VENEZUELAN young stars signing with other teams. Isn't Ozzie a national hero? Can't he intervene and help the scouts? Like Michael Jordan calling a prospect on behalf of North Carolina, shouldn't we be using Ozzie's status among Latins to better the farm system? Just a thought.

ChiSoxFan7
08-01-2006, 06:43 PM
I do get exasperated reading all of these VENEZUELAN young stars signing with other teams. Isn't Ozzie a national hero? Can't he intervene and help the scouts? Like Michael Jordan calling a prospect on behalf of North Carolina, shouldn't we be using Ozzie's status among Latins to better the farm system? Just a thought.

Hero < $$$

soxfanreggie
08-01-2006, 11:57 PM
I don't think we're going to offer the same millions and millions to some of these guys that the Yankees do.

Also, some players picked in a lot later rounds decide to stay in school, not play pro ball, or hold out for more money than they're worth. You usually see most of the top 15 round picks sign and then the guys picked 40 and above. It's the guys in the 20-40 range that you seem to have the most trouble with.