PDA

View Full Version : Munoz

RichH55
02-18-2002, 12:35 PM
Munoz one to watch
By Scot Gregor Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted on February 18, 2002
TUCSON, Ariz. - It seems to happen every spring.

A nondescript pitcher is invited to the White Sox' training camp, assigned a high uniform number, and filtered into the pack.

Most get early transfers to the minor leagues, but one always seems to sneak onto the Sox' 25-man roster.

Last spring, Gary Glover rose to prominence. The spring before, Kelly Wunsch. The spring before that, Sean Lowe.

Maybe the lack of pressure and attention provides the competitive springboard. Maybe it's sheer untapped talent. Or maybe it's a combination of the two.

Whatever the reason, keep an eye on Amaldo Munoz.

"He's a guy that's been mentioned by the development people as the top guy,'' White Sox manager Jerry Manuel said. "To hear the people talk about him, Munoz, he sounds very interesting. Good curveball. To me, it sounds almost like they were talking about (Mark) Buehrle.''

Like Buehrle, Munoz is left-handed and has shown the ability to throw all of his pitches for strikes. Especially the curve.

In 60 games with Class A Kannapolis last season, all in relief, Munoz went 6-3 with a 2.49 ERA. He also saved 12 games and had 115 strikeouts in only 79 innings.

The 5-foot-9, 170-pound Munoz doesn't turn 20 until June 21. But it's ability, not age, that counts with Manuel.

"I've always said that with left-handers, if they have it, they have it,'' Manuel said. "Some different scenarios will have to play out, but he's interesting.''

Munoz also remains a mystery. Visa problems have kept Munoz in his native Dominican Republic, but he is expected to arrive at the Sox' spring camp today or Tuesday.

l

Welcome back: Along with Ray Durham, Aaron Rowand and Jeff Liefer, Brian Simmons is one of the White Sox' position players who decided to report early to spring training.

The Sox' first full-squad workout is scheduled for Thursday.

With Kenny Lofton, Rowand and Liefer ahead of him on the outfield depth chart, Simmons decided to make an early impression.

Simmons is back with the White Sox after being claimed off waivers from Toronto. In 60 games with the Blue Jays last season, Simmons batted .178 with 2 home runs and 8 RBI.

"It wasn't a great situation there,'' said Simmons, who spent part of the 1998 and '99 seasons with the Sox. "I'd just play in late-inning situations and they gave me a few token starts. I'm happy to be back here.''

czalgosz
02-18-2002, 12:47 PM
How often do these phrases go together -

The 5-foot-9, 170-pound Munoz doesn't turn 20 until June 21.

and

native Dominican Republic

Who wants to bet on how old Munoz really is?

Soxheads
02-18-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
How often do these phrases go together -

The 5-foot-9, 170-pound Munoz doesn't turn 20 until June 21.

and

native Dominican Republic

Who wants to bet on how old Munoz really is?

We could always have a pool. :gulp:

kermittheefrog
02-18-2002, 01:05 PM
Assuming he is the age he says he is, he dominated A ball. He struck out 115 batters in just short of 80 innings and only allowed 41 hits. It'd be silly to throw him into a major league pen now (if he really is 20), I want to know if he has any potential as a starter.

Cheryl
02-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
[B]

"He's a guy that's been mentioned by the development people as the top guy,'' White Sox manager Jerry Manuel said.

Just once, I'd like to see JM say something else. He doesn't have to say anything like "Munoz hasn't a chance in Hades to make my ballclub," just something other than calling someone a top guy. They all seem to be top guys.

BTW, I'm voting Munoz is 26.

Pete_SSAC
02-18-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

We could always have a pool. :gulp:

23!

- Pete

kermittheefrog
02-18-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Just once, I'd like to see JM say something else. He doesn't have to say anything like "Munoz hasn't a chance in Hades to make my ballclub," just something other than calling someone a top guy. They all seem to be top guys.

BTW, I'm voting Munoz is 26.

Ah Cheryl you're always on the extreme end. I think he can't be older than 22 but that would still discount the performance he had in A-ball. I think he's the real thing, the guys whose ages have been found to be fake were guys who were suspected of it anyway. I'm sure the teams already knew and other teams were very suspect.

kermittheefrog
02-18-2002, 01:26 PM
The other thing about these ages is the Angels team doctors have been seeing Ortiz for a good 5 years by now, don't you think they could tell over 5 years of physical development that he probably isn't the age he says he is?

RichH55
02-18-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Ah Cheryl you're always on the extreme end. I think he can't be older than 22 but that would still discount the performance he had in A-ball. I think he's the real thing, the guys whose ages have been found to be fake were guys who were suspected of it anyway. I'm sure the teams already knew and other teams were very suspect.

I have little doubt the teams know who is older than they say...but it doesn't help them to release that info...the more internal they keep that the better off they are....BTW I'm saying 21 going on 22

RichH55
02-18-2002, 02:12 PM
Question here: Furcal is older than they said.....He got a DUI when he was 19 simply because he was under age, but he was really legal at that time.....What gives? Can he get that taken off his record or is that a buyer beware type of situation