PDA

View Full Version : Who has the horses and why?

daslobo
07-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Hey all,

I'm mostly a lurker here but love the discussions. Want your opinion on who has the pitching to carry them deep into the post season and why? Let's focus on the AL. As I see it, nobody looks dominant this year. All of the teams listed below have weak points which have been shown except for Detroit. I still think Detroit has weak points that will be revealed in the second half. Please rank the following and supply reasoning if you like.

Detroit - I have to rank them first because my perception of their weaknesses has to do with second half wear and tear but if they can stay healthy, they've got to be the favorite

White Sox - If Buehrle is only in a slump that he'll pull out of (like 2003) then we have the best staff. End of season, Vazquez can go into the pen. Untill then he's a comparable 5th starter

Twins - Awesome rotation but they have been on a pretty unsustainable pace IMO.

Red Cubs - Pretty solid but not scary good.

Toronto - If they can get healthy, they can make a serious run
Yankees - Obviously trying to slug their way in.

Jjav829
07-31-2006, 02:03 PM
The Twins are the team that every AL contender is hoping misses the playoffs. If they get in, it could be over for everyone else. No team wants to face Johan and Liriano 4 games in a 5 game series or 5 in a 7 game series. Add in Radke for a few games and their bullpen and they have the potential to run through the playoffs like we did last year.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2006, 02:06 PM
The Twins are the team that every AL contender is hoping misses the playoffs. If they get in, it could be over for everyone else. No team wants to face Johan and Liriano 4 games in a 5 game series or 5 in a 7 game series. Add in Radke for a few games and their bullpen and they have the potential to run through the playoffs like we did last year.I agree. People were saying the exact same thing about the White Sox in 2004. Building a team for the regular season is different than building a team for the playoffs.

batmanZoSo
07-31-2006, 02:10 PM
I don't know, but I'd put good money on Chicago, NY, Boston or Detroit winning it all. I don't give much of a chance to anyone else. I think it'll come down to who's hot at the right time. That seems to be the trend in recent years.

Tekijawa
07-31-2006, 02:20 PM
I think that the Yankees are now the toughest team built for the regular season, unless the White Sox Starting Pitching can turn it around. But I know that if I needed to win 11 out of 19 games for my life, I'd really like to have a team built around Liriano and Santana...

"wrong" sox fan
07-31-2006, 02:24 PM
I don't know, but I'd put good money on Chicago, NY, Boston or Detroit winning it all. I don't give much of a chance to anyone else. I think it'll come down to who's hot at the right time. That seems to be the trend in recent years.

I agree 100%

It's all come down to who is hot and healthy as the season winds down and we enter the play offs.