PDA

View Full Version : WEEI Reporting: Andruw Jones to Boston

Gavin
07-31-2006, 12:23 PM
**RUMOR**

Sox, Braves had talks about Jones
The Lawrence Eagle Tribune's Rob Bradford reported on Boston sports radio station WEEI today that the Red Sox and Braves on Sunday had talks about bringing slugger Andruw Jones to Boston. Bradford reported that the Braves had asked for Jon Lester, Coco Crisp, and Craig Hansen in return for Jones (who is hitting .273 with 25 homers and 91 RBIs), and were turned down by the Red Sox. The deal would have left a gaping hole in the Sox rotation, though in theory the Sox could have gone out and acquired another pitcher. Jones is making $13 million this season and is under contract to make $13.5 million in 2007.

sox230
07-31-2006, 12:42 PM
This would be terrible for us--I heard about it too...hopefully talks stall long enough past the deadline.

DSpivack
07-31-2006, 12:44 PM
I doubt it happens, as Atlanta would be asking for a lot in return.

Britt Burns
07-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Andruw Jones has been coming to the White sox for what, three years now? Four? Don't see it happening. It will be interesting to see what the Red sox have to give up if they did get him.

Gavin
07-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Does Boston even need offense or would they do this just because of what NYY did yesterday?

chaotic8512
07-31-2006, 12:46 PM
At least the asking price is really high... I wouldn't mind too terribly to see Jon Lester depart that rotation for the unstoppable David Wells.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Given the state of Red Sox pitching, they'd be idiots to give up Lester and Hanson...unless, of course, they had another deal in the works to get another starter.

sircaffey1
07-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Lester, Crisp, and Hansen for Jones would be an absolute rap job IMO by Atlanta. I hope Boston changes their minds.

StatHead21
07-31-2006, 12:48 PM
5% chance this actually happens.

getonbckthr
07-31-2006, 12:48 PM
So for the Sox to get Jones it would cost Bmac, Anderson and Broadway, way to much for Boston unless they can get Lieber or Myers or even Maddux for virtually nothing. Unless Papi for Gload and Vazquez was attainable.

Gavin
07-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Well suppose Boston did do this and then thought the could grab a SP from somewhere to cover their new whole. I wonder what KW could peddle off to them.

Jjav829
07-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Did people even read the whole report? It said the Red Sox turned down the Braves offer.

The Red Sox are about as likely to make this deal as we are to make the Buehrle-Crisp deal. Why is it being discussed as a legitimate possibility?

Gavin
07-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Yes this should be merged with the rumors thread. I made a mistake making a new thread.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Did people even read the whole report? It said the Red Sox turned down the Braves offer.

The Red Sox are about as likely to make this deal as we are to make the Buehrle-Crisp deal. Why is it being discussed as a legitimate possibility?This trade made no sense from the get-go. If Theo is trying to trade a CF for starting pitching, why would he now trade starting pitching for a CF?:?:

DaleJRFan
07-31-2006, 01:17 PM

The Red Sox are about as likely to make this deal as we are to make the Buehrle-Crisp deal. Why is it being discussed as a legitimate possibility?

Another one bites the dust...

From rotoworld:

Andruw Jones won't be traded to Boston with the Red Sox uninterested in giving up Coco Crisp, Jon Lester and Craig Hansen for him, says the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes.

There have been no additional discussions between the team, according to Edes. A rumor that had Jones going to Boston for Crisp and Mark Loretta appears to be bogus.
Source: Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/07/andruw_jones_is.html)

PennStater98r
07-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Given the state of Red Sox pitching, they'd be idiots to give up Lester and Hanson...unless, of course, they had another deal in the works to get another starter.

And to the Boston Red Sox - Javier Vazquez and Prospect XYZ for Andruw Jones...

:redneck

BanditJimmy
07-31-2006, 03:11 PM

I could only hope Javier Vazquez.