PDA

View Full Version : If you were to replace one starting position player...

The Dude
07-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Just like the bullpen poll, if you had to replace a starting position player in a trade or whatever by next season which one would go and why?

Palehose13
07-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Just like the bullpen poll, if you had to replace a starting position player in a trade or whatever by next season which one would go?

I would love to replace Anderson with Carl Crawford.

BNLSox
07-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Pods. And he doesn't need to go, but you said if I were to replace one, he'd be the one that I think could be best upgraded in both offense and defense.

Honestly though I would be very happy with our position players back for another run.. I think they're great defensively and can obviously put up big numbers with the lumber.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Uribe. Can't hit consistantly (240 or 250 consistantly for a full season is too much to ask??), and makes way too many stupid mental mistakes in the field for someone touted as a defensive wiz...

Trade him for a forth OF or another BP arm and sign Alex Gonzalez in the off-season.

The Dude
07-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Ahh damn "Y" key sticking typo!:angry: Sorry about that. Mods fix if possible Thanks!:D:

Pods would be the one to go in my opinion because of his lack of speed, power, defense and bad ABS this season since coming off of his injury.

kwolf68
07-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Carl Crawford in left for Pods.

I read somewhere where the Jays were looking at Lugo and Crawford in a major package.

If the Rays actually have Crawford on the block and are willing to listen then I want in on some of that action.

I can't imagine the Jays have better pitching to deal that the Sox.

jenn2080
07-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Pods I cant take watching him no more...and since we just had a Pods hate thread about a week ago I wont repeat why I think so again.

kwolf68
07-31-2006, 01:04 PM
I see some votes for Uribe. I like him...the only way I'd move him is for a comparable defensive player who can steal 25+ bases a year.

I'd give up the power numbers for more speed and better bat control just so we don't take a hit on defense.

Still, you can win with Uribe...it looks like Pods is used up, sadly because he was amazing for us last year.

Chicken Dinner
07-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Twinkle toes in left. Can't steal bases very well any more and his defense is marginal at best.

Domeshot17
07-31-2006, 01:20 PM
Uribe. only reason to keep him is his D (offensively hes garbage) and his D has been suspect this year (wild wild wild throws).

And since we can replace Pods with Crawford, Im going to say we can replace Uribe with Michael Young

Lip Man 1
07-31-2006, 01:22 PM
In a perfect world if the Sox had a chance to 'upgrade' (not saying the players they replace aren't good, just that the Sox would like to get better) I think you'd see them look to the following areas. (and I honestly think Kenny will be giving these areas a hard look in the off season, trying to return more to a 'grinder' approach...)

I think Kenny will be trying to inject more speed and defense into the lineup. And getting some guys who can execute the small things will also (in my opinion) be a factor after he talks with Ozzie.

LF (Posednik)
CF (Anderson)
SS (Uribe)
5th starter (Vasquez)
Middle relief (Loss of McCarthy to rotation?)

Lip

The Dude
07-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Jake5824, Are you joking with these Konerko & Jenks votes?!?:dunno:

jenn2080
07-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Jake5824, Are you joking with these Konerko & Jenks votes?!?:dunno:

you obviously havent seen his other ALL STAR Threads today. He is a real winner. I am thinking :dtroll:

guillensmofia
07-31-2006, 02:09 PM
my vote was between pods & anderson -- based on the last couple of weeks. i chose anderson (although i would like to change my vote), but i think they both need to step it up a bit.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2006, 02:11 PM
my vote was between pods & anderson -- based on the last couple of weeks. i chose anderson (although i would like to change my vote), but i think they both need to step it up a bit.

Anderson is a rookie! What do you people expect from him??? 300/30/100?? :?:

Pods on the other hand...

jenn2080
07-31-2006, 02:22 PM

the last couple weeks try the past month or so. Anderson is a rookie. And Pods...well please see the Pods hate thread.

The Dude
07-31-2006, 02:27 PM
you obviously havent seen his other ALL STAR Threads today. He is a real winner. I am thinking :dtroll:

Yeah I just did.....:thud:

You're probably right! :tongue:

batmanZoSo
07-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Hypothetically, I have to go with Anderson. He's the weakest stick on the team, period. If there was a chance to get someone with great defense but with some offensive production, I'd take it. Unfortunately there isn't.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-31-2006, 03:19 PM
http://www.antmusic.fsnet.co.uk/images/albums/dirk_wears_white_sox_cbs.jpg

"You can't field, can't throw, what do you do?
You can't hit, can't bunt, what do you do?..."

His final arb year may be picked up by the club but he will not be here past 2007.

BV2005
07-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Uribe. only reason to keep him is his D (offensively hes garbage) and his D has been suspect this year (wild wild wild throws).

And since we can replace Pods with Crawford, Im going to say we can replace Uribe with Michael Young

I agree, I would love to replace Uribe w/ Young.

rowand33
07-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Pods is ****ing terrible.

a shell of his former self.

a speedy little leadoff guy whose legs aren't under him anymore.

we didn't replace him, so I hope that he pulls it together, but he's the epitome of the word mediocre since those leg problems. I hope he's not in our plans for 2007 unless he gives us a phenomenal second half.

MrRoboto83
07-31-2006, 05:05 PM
I vote non of the above, I like our line-up just the way it is.

soxfanatlanta
07-31-2006, 05:08 PM
(Sigh)

Is anybody else out there growing weary of this armchair general managing?

Chips
07-31-2006, 08:43 PM
I would love to replace Anderson with Carl Crawford.

I would not like this all.

rdwj
07-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Pods is the obvious choice.

Anderson votes are a little silly. He's a rookie, he's picked it up lately AND he's stellar on D.

Uribe plays solid D too.

Pods, right now, brings nothing to the table. He's a poor hitting defensive liability.

Chips
07-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Pods may be the weakest link on the team, but if he can start reading pitchers and stealing bases like he did last year, I'll keep him around.

I don't like his arm at all and he isn't ****ing with pitchers like he did last year, but like I said, if he can regain his base stealing skills, I'd keep him around. But I really hate his noodle arm and he would be the guy I replace.

doctorlecter
07-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Pods was a total stud for the first 3/4 of the season last year, then had his injury. Since then, his production is WAY down. It is not just the steals that made him so effective last year. The fact that he could draw so much of the pitcher's attention made our whole lineup better. How many times has Pods stolen third this year? What the **** happened to him?!?

The Dude
07-31-2006, 11:47 PM
I would not like this all.

If we got Crawford, I'd replace Pods with him and not BA.

Chips
07-31-2006, 11:55 PM

Much better idea.

IlliniSox4Life
08-01-2006, 01:06 AM
I wouldn't replace any of them. Yet. I'd have something in the back of my mind for Pods, but I wouldn't pull the trigger quite yet. He has until Opening Day 2007 to show he can pick it up.

palehozenychicty
08-01-2006, 01:59 AM
People need to stop hating on Anderson. He's a rook who is improving by each start. Pods, however, needs to replaced by Carl Crawford.

ShoelessJoeS
08-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Jake5824, Are you joking with these Konerko & Jenks votes?!?:dunno:.....but Thome votes?

The Dude
08-01-2006, 10:49 AM
.....but Thome votes?

I can only guess they are probably huge Aaron Rowand fans or Thomas fans that can't admit we are a better team with Thome or they are simply.....:dtroll:

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2006, 11:23 AM

Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Ever since Pods lost a step due to his hernias, he's been less able to get on base via a bunt, swinging bunt or infield hit. Therefore's he has had to rely more on hitting the ball to the outfield and/or taking a walk. The walks are OK, but when the infielders know he's lost a step, they can play a bit deeper to cut off sharply-hit grounders to throw him out at first.

Pods' value to this team - or any team - declines in proportion to any loss of speed.

0o0o0
08-01-2006, 11:29 AM
I can only guess they are probably huge Aaron Rowand fans or Thomas fans that can't admit we are a better team with Thome or they are simply.....:dtroll:

Well, technically...

:tongue:

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2006, 01:02 PM

Exactly

There's no doubt this team hits better with Thome and plays better defense with Anderson, who also lately has hit better than Rowand typically did.

The only reason this year's team has not been as successful as last year's is because the starting pitchers have not performed as well as last year's staff did: earlier this season it was Garcia and Garland (who have since improved); now it's Buehrle and Vazquez.

INSox56
08-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Replace Pods with Crawford....too bad we'd have to dump every single pitching prospect to do it...but still...................HE'S SIGNED THROUGH 2010 FOR CHRIST SAKE...and CHEEEEEEEEEEEEAP at that! I'm straddling the fence as to if I would like that or not. Leadoff hitters are very very tough to come by (see: this year's FA class...)

Jurr
08-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Replace Pods with Crawford....too bad we'd have to dump every single pitching prospect to do it...but still...................HE'S SIGNED THROUGH 2010 FOR CHRIST SAKE...and CHEEEEEEEEEEEEAP at that! I'm straddling the fence as to if I would like that or not. Leadoff hitters are very very tough to come by (see: this year's FA class...)
Hell, if you put that stuff in there...replace Konerko with Pujols.

INSox56
08-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Hell, if you put that stuff in there...replace Konerko with Pujols.

Well as it's been said before...prospects are suspects until they get major league experience. Like I said, I'm leaning towards no way jose, but the possibility is intriguing

vegyrex
08-01-2006, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't change anything.

Jurr
08-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't change anything.
Amen, brother. :bandance:

Chips
08-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Well, technically...

....the pitching is worse. Talentwise, this year's staff is better, they're just not preforming. The offense is much better.

The Dude
08-02-2006, 12:10 AM
....the pitching is worse. Talentwise, this year's staff is better, they're just not preforming. The offense is much better.
Talentwise, yes, we are better but a little tweaking in the offseason wouldn't hurt...especially at weak positions. I honestly wouldn't be upset if we kept the same lineup, bench and pen...but think we can improve in a few spots and I would guarantee KW does a few things to tweak the team before the start of the 2007 season .

EDIT: I also can't believe someone voted for Iguchi!:smokin:

SoxFan64
08-02-2006, 02:18 AM
I voted to move off Uribe. I read the poll as who would you replace from our roster with someone from inside the organization.

While everyone seems to be sizing up Pods for a new uniform, I looked at this poll as if there was no trade. So I did not factor in Crawford or Soriano or someone else for Pods.

To me, Pods is the table setter. He is statistically better than last year (save ave and SB) but he is almost impossible to replace. No one else has the combination that lends them to be a leadoff hitter. Ozuna (sp?) is great for a few situational roles but he is not the long-term answer in LF or in the leadoff position.

I like Uribe but he has been a bit lax at times this year. I still think the last two plays of Game #4 WS were defensive gems. But I think Cintron can hold his own at SS and is a more disciplined hitter than Uribe.

But I am still happy with the make-up of the team and I am not disappointed with any of the regulars.

So I went along with the premise of the question... and select Uribe.

The Dude
08-02-2006, 06:39 PM
I voted to move off Uribe. I read the poll as who would you replace from our roster with someone from inside the organization.

While everyone seems to be sizing up Pods for a new uniform, I looked at this poll as if there was no trade. So I did not factor in Crawford or Soriano or someone else for Pods.

To me, Pods is the table setter. He is statistically better than last year (save ave and SB) but he is almost impossible to replace. No one else has the combination that lends them to be a leadoff hitter. Ozuna (sp?) is great for a few situational roles but he is not the long-term answer in LF or in the leadoff position.

I like Uribe but he has been a bit lax at times this year. I still think the last two plays of Game #4 WS were defensive gems. But I think Cintron can hold his own at SS and is a more disciplined hitter than Uribe.

But I am still happy with the make-up of the team and I am not disappointed with any of the regulars.

Nice post. :thumbsup: If I were to pick a second player, Uribe would be it especially if the benching doesn't light a fire under him. Cintron is a more than adequate replacement for now and KW may look to upgrade the position for 2007.

santo=dorf
08-02-2006, 08:08 PM
I believe Gary Matthews Jr. is a free agent after this season. It'd be nice to not see him in another team's uni hitting a double against us. :cool:

Twinkle Toes currently in LF can take a seat or go elsewhere.

kitekrazy
08-03-2006, 01:45 AM

Oh my gosh! A post that's more logical than emotional. This is a keeper.
Excellent post.

The Critic
08-03-2006, 07:58 AM
I also voted Podsednik.
He's just not doing any of the things right now that made him valuable last year.
His bunting is terrible, when he tries to bunt at all, and he's not stealing bases anymore.
Plus, his play in LF has been subpar.
He's probably been the biggest disappointment for me this season.

santo=dorf
08-03-2006, 07:56 PM
To me, Pods is the table setter. He is statistically better than last year (save ave and SB) but he is almost impossible to replace. No one else has the combination that lends them to be a leadoff hitter. Ozuna (sp?) is great for a few situational roles but he is not the long-term answer in LF or in the leadoff position
This has been the stupidest argument on the board lately.

Please tell me why I should put so much stock in Pods having "better" numbers this year than last year?

First off he was injured in the second half of 2005 so his overall numbers took a dive.

Secondly the lineup in 2006>>>>>>the lineup in 2005.

Jim Thome is way, way more productive than 2005 Carl Everett resulting in more runs being socred by Pods
Konerko is better in 2006 than 2005 because of Thome.
Dye is way, way, way better than the 2005 Jermaine Dye that was in a coma until Memorial day.
Crede in 2006. 'Nuff said.
AJ has a much higher BA in 2006

Here are the stats Pods has improved in 2006: SLG% (not important for a leadoff hitter,) HR (a whopping 3,) Walk rate, RBI's, and runs scored (directly related to the much improved offense.)

Here are the stats Pods has remained the same in: OBP .345 (-.006,) and stolen base % 70% (-2%,) outfield assists 2 (3) :rolleyes:

Here are the stats Pods has expierence a noticable decline in: Stolen bases, batting average (-.021,) errors 7 (4 more than last year) strikeout rate 5.49AB/K (6.76 AB/K)

The negatives far outweigh the positives especially when you consider Podsednik's health in 2006 compared to 2005 and the lineups between the 2006 and 2005 teams.

Podsednik needs to go.

maurice
08-03-2006, 08:17 PM
replace Konerko with Pujols.

Works for me. :gulp:

More realisticly, Podsednik or Uribe could be shown the door. Ozzie has been pining for a new SS who could bat at the top of the lineup (notably, Vizquel and Furcal).

Anderson is not going anywhere, unless KW manages to land Andruw Jones. A rookie should be expected to struggle early and then improve, if they've got the goods. For those who weren't paying attention, Anderson batted .313 in July. The only starter with a higher AVE that month was Dye. Perhaps more importantly, Anderson's July AVE was higher than his June AVE...which was higher than his May AVE...which was higher than his April AVE. His SLG and OPS also rose steadily each month of the season.

CYGarland20
08-04-2006, 02:29 PM
I also voted Podsednik.
He's just not doing any of the things right now that made him valuable last year.
His bunting is terrible, when he tries to bunt at all, and he's not stealing bases anymore.
Plus, his play in LF has been subpar.
He's probably been the biggest disappointment for me this season.I dont know if i would say he's been the biggest diappointment this season, that would have to fall on either Cliff Politte or the whole starting staff - Contreras. Either way, we definitely could use a replacement for him next year, and i'm even inclined to have MAck take starts from him at this point.

Soxworldchamps
08-04-2006, 03:25 PM
I dont know if i would say he's been the biggest diappointment this season, that would have to fall on either Cliff Politte or the whole starting staff - Contreras. Either way, we definitely could use a replacement for him next year, and i'm even inclined to have MAck take starts from him at this point.

I don't think anyone can really blame Contreras. I mean, you can't win forever. I think we should be happy with his amazing streak, he should be back on the winning track soon.

Also, for all the anti-Anderson people, he really is an amazing center fielder, one of the best in the game in my opinion. His hitting has also completely turned around since the beginning of the season. And yes, of course, there is the fact that he is a rookie. Give him a chance before giving him the boot.

lakeviewsoxfan
08-04-2006, 03:49 PM
I voted for Pods. It seems he has lsot his confidence in every aspect of the game. I would bet he will not be back for the 07 season.

FedEx227
08-04-2006, 04:53 PM
This has been the stupidest argument on the board lately.

Please tell me why I should put so much stock in Pods having "better" numbers this year than last year?

First off he was injured in the second half of 2005 so his overall numbers took a dive.

Secondly the lineup in 2006>>>>>>the lineup in 2005.

Jim Thome is way, way more productive than 2005 Carl Everett resulting in more runs being socred by Pods
Konerko is better in 2006 than 2005 because of Thome.
Dye is way, way, way better than the 2005 Jermaine Dye that was in a coma until Memorial day.
Crede in 2006. 'Nuff said.
AJ has a much higher BA in 2006

Here are the stats Pods has improved in 2006: SLG% (not important for a leadoff hitter,) HR (a whopping 3,) Walk rate, RBI's, and runs scored (directly related to the much improved offense.)

Here are the stats Pods has remained the same in: OBP .345 (-.006,) and stolen base % 70% (-2%,) outfield assists 2 (3) :rolleyes:

Here are the stats Pods has expierence a noticable decline in: Stolen bases, batting average (-.021,) errors 7 (4 more than last year) strikeout rate 5.49AB/K (6.76 AB/K)

The negatives far outweigh the positives especially when you consider Podsednik's health in 2006 compared to 2005 and the lineups between the 2006 and 2005 teams.

Podsednik needs to go.

Game. Set. Match. Great argument. Yeah, his production is up... in stats that don't matter for leadoff hitters. When it comes down to it, he's not doing what needs to get done to be the leadoff hitter of a World Champion team.

caulfield12
08-04-2006, 06:15 PM
I think Anderson is not going to be moved for a couple of reasons, maybe they are emotional at this point...

1) We've traded Anthony Webster, Jeremy Reed, Chris Young AND Aaron Rowand because KW believed in him...I wouldn't even say the most, but he put Anderson and Young ahead of everyone in terms of potential, that, and the fact that their lower salaries would buy him some payroll flexibility

2) KW and OG have seen progress and development throughout the year...they're not going to give up on him now when there's light at the end of the tunnel

And Contreras is not the one I would point my finger at...

Soxworldchamps
08-04-2006, 08:18 PM
I think Anderson is not going to be moved for a couple of reasons, maybe they are emotional at this point...

1) We've traded Anthony Webster, Jeremy Reed, Chris Young AND Aaron Rowand because KW believed in him...I wouldn't even say the most, but he put Anderson and Young ahead of everyone in terms of potential, that, and the fact that their lower salaries would buy him some payroll flexibility

2) KW and OG have seen progress and development throughout the year...they're not going to give up on him now when there's light at the end of the tunnel

And Contreras is not the one I would point my finger at...

Thank you.

Domeshot17
08-05-2006, 01:57 AM
I still say Uribe. Pods, on a given day, Offers a lot to a team. Look at what he did today. Getting no hit, looking like a Loss and a halladay Gem, He bunts his way on, steals 2nd, and scores on a Thome Double. I agree he has not been good this year, And I was one of the biggest "get soriano on top of the lineup this year" but honestly, I would love to get a SS who can lead off. Uribe is around strictly for his D, he has probably the most limited and inconsistent offensive games in the starting lineup (minus BA who gets 1 year pass for a rookie). His D has been VERY suspect lately. He is taking piss poor at bats on to the field, his throws are all over the place (Konerko saved one today with a great sweep tag) and He still hot dogs routine pop ups like the other night.

The 2nd thing that I think is seen, Ozzie said Pods needs to pick his game up, and lately he has. I think the trade deadline took a TON of pressure off pods. But the effort was always there. I think all these guys pull for Pods. Uribe on the other hand, his attitude and effort are not what we, as a team, are about. I know hes a competitor and plays hard, but I think he has Randy Moss Syndrome and takes plays off.

The 2nd is this
Lets say, because my brain is kind of fried right now, add a lead off SS like Furcal or Reyes, not saying we can get them, but since we can replace pods with carl crawford, Im going to use Reyes Furcal Young any of those here.

The entire lineup is PERFECT with a lead off ss

Reyes
Pods
Thome
PK
Dye
AJ
Crede
Iguchi
BA

Iguchi gets a chance to drive in runs and also turn the lineup over, we get consistent hitting from our bottom 3,

Pods 2 is Ideally where he hits now without his half step he lost. You can switch him and Iguchi and ideally have the same lineup. Pods puts more speed on top of the lineup, but since in the AL you usuallty like an 8 and 9 with some speed since they lead off innings later in games, You have Iguchi/pods BA (SS) Pods/Iguchi. You are setting yourself up to put a TON of men on base for your 3-4-5 which is one of if not the best in the game.

If you replace Pods with Crawford and hit crawford lead off (Which, IMHO, is a complete waste of his 5 tool abilities, He should bat 3 all year and become vernon wells). You still have a 250 hitter hitting 8 and a 260ish hitter (Anderson post early struggles) hitting 9. You are major upgrading at one position in the lineup, but getting a SS to lead off improves 2-3 lineup spots AND improves the production from the heart majorly.