PDA

View Full Version : I am a little shocked at KW

ukigdog
07-31-2006, 08:56 AM
I know we have till this afternoon, however i will be really shocked at KW if the Sox dont trade for a starter. There is one team out there that is being agressive for pitching like honestly the sox should be right now and that is the mets. They are rumored to be all over schmidt or oswalt in many articles as soon as they popped up as being available. The white sox should be as well. Both schmidt and oswalt are STUDS! especially oswalt. I would take either ahead of Vaz, Garcia, or even Buehrel right now. Immediately our rotation is three solid with garland, contreras, and schmidt/oswalt giving more room for two more to step it up.

Maybe KW is flying under the radar and will land us a starter, id even take zito. But clearly buehrle and garcia are tired or something this year and are not as effective, and vazquez i dont have to comment on. Unless by some miracle all three or two of three step up right away, we need to make a change.

I love the sox, and our current players, but it is becoming frustrating watching this team day after day, and seeing them slump like this for a whole month now. I feel that something needs to be done to shake things up, and after what the yankees pulled off yesterday if the sox dont do anything, they may not turn it around in time to keep up with yanks, twins, etc.

I know there is a good chance that the Sox still make the playoffs, and i feel that until they are mathematically out of it they should be regarded as the favorites to land the wild card, but i dont like how we are now hoping to make the playoffs, when clearly with the talent we thought we had or the talent we could have if we made a trade here for a astarter, we should be in cruise control to the postseason!

GO SOX and no matter what team they have on the field as of 3pm, DONT STOP BELIEVING! :smile:

Beer Can Chicken
07-31-2006, 09:02 AM
I think (and hope) that KW has something in the works, especially considering the move the Yankees just made yesterday. The Wild-Card race just got alot tougher.

Pequod
07-31-2006, 09:11 AM
A deal for starting pitching that would move Garcia or Vazquez is the only thing that makes sense to me. In the case of Oswalt, problem is that the Astros are looking to improve their lineup. So that would have to be the key to the deal for them. Who are you going to offer up? Crede? Konerko? Dye? Thome? Iguchi? No on all counts.

Jaffar
07-31-2006, 09:13 AM
Basically, if you heard ANYWHERE that KW was trying hard to get ANYBODY, you could basically expect the deal NOT to happen. Where were all the Yankees Abreu/lidle rumors? Soriano is still a Nat, Clee to the rangers, hopefully you are getting my point.

hold2dibber
07-31-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm very leery of NL starters. Although I think Oswalt could make the transition, I would absolutely fall out of my chair if the Astros trade him. Why would they? They want to win now, while they still have Clemens and Petitte, both of whom are nearing the end. Trading Oswalt would make no sense at all. Schmidt would probably be good in the AL, but I think the Sox would have to overpay to get him. Same goes for Zito. I'd like another stud starting pitcher, but it takes two to tango, and I highly doubt KW could get one of those guys without giving up someone you really couldn't afford to give up.

07-31-2006, 10:06 AM
Oswalt? This is the first time I heard of him....Anyway, I love a good trade and a new face as much as anyone, but it's not going to happen

Fred Manrique
07-31-2006, 10:09 AM
I would be overjoyed if we somehow pulled off Oswalt, very excited if we got Schmidt, and cautiously optimistic if Zito joined the team.

I don't want to overpay for a starter, but if we can ship off one of our struggling starters and one good prospect for one then I say we do it.

Man, the Astros would be dumb to trade Oswalt, I'd give up one of our good position players in order to get him, but I wouldnt even think that would be enough.

Jurr
07-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Everybody thinks that just because it's the trade deadline that the player you pick up is automatically going to improve the team. I know that it's exciting to add a piece, but it may or may not pan out.

If the Sox added Riske or Macdougal today, everyone would be thinking that THESE GUYS are the missing pieces because they were acquired today.

Did adding Garcia make the team good enough to make the playoffs in 2004? How about Contreras? No on both counts. They contributed in 2005, but they did not have an immediate impact.

I can't remember too many late additions making a huge impact on a team. Graffanino helped out Boston last year, and Shannon Stewart turned around Minnesota in 2003. That's the bulk of what I can remember.

Say you add Zito. He helps every fifth day. Does he guarantee you a win? No. Nobody really does. If your team isn't hitting or your bullpen is struggling to hold games together, Zito's not going to help.

This team just needs to get back in their rhythm, and all will be fine.

Madvora
07-31-2006, 10:14 AM
I can't remember too many late additions making a huge impact on a team. Graffanino helped out Boston last year, and Shannon Stewart turned around Minnesota in 2003. That's the bulk of what I can remember.

Beltran to the Astros was one of the biggest I remember. That team just caught fire when they picked him up and he went crazy in the playoffs.
Man, I was so glad to have him off the Royals.

Domeshot17
07-31-2006, 10:24 AM
I think if we get anyone (which I doubt), Schmidt is the guy, because Kenny seems to not give up on guys he wants (Mackowiak) and he has been after Schmidt for years.

soxfan13
07-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Basically, if you heard ANYWHERE that KW was trying hard to get ANYBODY, you could basically expect the deal NOT to happen. Where were all the Yankees Abreu/lidle rumors? Soriano is still a Nat, Clee to the rangers, hopefully you are getting my point.

Abreu to the Yankees had been talked about the last week before it happened, it was more or less deciding who the Yankees would give up.

miker
07-31-2006, 11:16 AM
What, we're no longer in the Soriano derby? :o:

07-31-2006, 11:30 AM

quote]

Beltran saved the Stros in 2004....especially in the playoffs

07-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Abreu to the Yankees had been talked about the last week before it happened, it was more or less deciding who the Yankees would give up.

If it's any consolation, I got Abreau on my fantasy team, and he really is having a down year...and I don't think the added pressure of going to the Yanks is going to help him

caulfield12
07-31-2006, 11:43 AM
OTOH, you have short-term trades like Big Unit for Garcia, Carlos Guillen and even Halama that really set the Astros back 3-5 years.

We have to be very careful we don't end up making a desperate stab at someone we only have for two months and losing Fields, Sweeney, Broadway, etc. Our minor league system has been pretty much gutted, and many of our former prospects are underperforming this year.

If you can trade Vazquez/Garcia, Cotts and another spare part to get a frontline starter, then you have to do it. I know Cotts is due to turn around, but I would rather have Thornton than Cotts if I had to choose between the two and the trade couldn't be made without a LH relief pitcher.

caulfield12
07-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Let's hope that Sheffield starts shooting off his mouth about his future with the organization in the next week...

White Sox Randy
07-31-2006, 11:49 AM
I still think that we're going to get Ken Griffey Jr. , Eric Chavez and probably Randy Johnson.....maybe Randy Winn too......heck maybe Randall Cunningham

Domeshot17
07-31-2006, 11:50 AM
I wish we could talk Oakland into a Vazquez and Sweeney and Cash for Zito deal. IF we send like 3 mil, put Vazquez around 4 per, Sweeney is expendable, maybe the A's bite at it.

caulfield12
07-31-2006, 11:51 AM
While we're at it, maybe we can secure an option on Ken Griffey, Jr.'s kids for when they turn 18.

spiffie
07-31-2006, 11:59 AM
I wish we could talk Oakland into a Vazquez and Sweeney and Cash for Zito deal. IF we send like 3 mil, put Vazquez around 4 per, Sweeney is expendable, maybe the A's bite at it.
Oakland wants prospects, nothing else. And since all the prospects we have either have apparently no trade value or have been deemed future HOF players and thus totally untradeable, we have no real chips to trade with.

ShoelessJoeS
07-31-2006, 11:59 AM
I still think that we're going to get Ken Griffey Jr. , Eric Chavez and probably Randy Johnson.....maybe Randy Winn too......heck maybe Randall Cunningham:tealpolice:

Domeshot17
07-31-2006, 12:01 PM
NO He is serious. His mom called him from the bus stop and she heard someone who claimed to have gone to school with Kenny in the 3rd grade and they said Kenny called him and told him he is going to get ALL of these guys!!

RavenswoodFan
07-31-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm not seeing anything happening by the end of the day. I'd be really suprised if Kenny made a trade this late in the game. But strange things do and can happen when your in a wild-card/division race!

White Sox Randy
07-31-2006, 12:39 PM
I predict that KW picks up Bee Bee Richard off the waiver wire and although he plays little the rest of the season, the Sox go all the way into the World Series.

Then Bee Bee wins a WS game for us with a home run. Oh yeah, and his wife has triplets this year - and she's now 54 !

eriqjaffe
07-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Graffanino helped out Boston last yearTony G helped us out last year, too, and we didn't have to pay him a dime for it!

Gremlin3
07-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Tony G helped us out last year, too, and we didn't have to pay him a dime for it!

Beat me to it.

StatHead21
07-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Tigers got better with Casey, Yankees got better with Abreu, and I'm betting the Red Sox and Twins make a move or two today.

This White Sox team is good enough to win the World Series, BUT is it good enough to make the playoffs in the position they are in? I just don't know.

Upgrading LF would or SS would be his best options.

He could also make an addition by subtraction move by dumping Vazquez.

Domeshot17
07-31-2006, 02:00 PM
I would right now see if you cant get Pierre off the cubs, at WORST he is a 4th OF with better D then Ozuna who can split time with pods.

kwolf68
07-31-2006, 02:02 PM
I would right now see if you cant get Pierre off the cubs, at WORST he is a 4th OF with better D then Ozuna who can split time with pods.

Why would he split time with Pods? They both bat lefty.

Domeshot17
07-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Give the legs a rest. Pierre seems to be able to hit lefties. But the big thing is keeping their legs fresh. And imagine games where we give BA a day off, with Pierre and Pods, would be HELL on catchers and pitchers opposing us.

BadBobbyJenks
07-31-2006, 02:37 PM

Um, was there a person on this planet that didnt see abreu going to the yankees?

BadBobbyJenks
07-31-2006, 02:40 PM
The sox have got the players needed to win this thing again, nows its up to the starters to take us there or keep us out.

Besides Zito and Schimdt who are way too expensive what we have is better than what is on the market.