PDA

View Full Version : Empty series win ?

White Sox Randy
07-31-2006, 08:24 AM
Does anyone else have an empty feeling after taking 2 of 3 in Baltimore ?

That had to be the worst pitching that we've faced all year (in games 2 and 3 ) and we still couldn't sweep.

It seemed like the O's could have easily swept us.

I think I feel worse about this series than the Yankees or Boston series. If the O's were any good, we would have been swept. The Sox looked like crap.

The O's seemed like the confident team and the Sox look like they are waiting around to see what bad thing will happen next - they are clearly tight and not loose.

I still feel that we have a good shot at the wild card but we have to start playing like ourselves again.

mrwag
07-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Yea, it sucks because in my opinion we played good enough to sweep. The pitching just can't hold anything now. But, a series win is still a series win. Keep taking each series and we're back in the hunt.

batmanZoSo
07-31-2006, 09:21 AM

That had to be the worst pitching that we've faced all year (in games 2 and 3 ) and we still couldn't sweep.

I think I feel worse about this series than the Yankees or Boston series. If the O's were any good, we would have been swept. The Sox looked like crap.

The O's seemed like the confident team and the Sox look like they are waiting around to see what bad thing will happen next - they are clearly tight and not loose.

I still feel that we have a good shot at the wild card but we have to start playing like ourselves again.

Did you consider how the team played for the previous three weeks?

AuroraSoxFan
07-31-2006, 09:38 AM
I gotta agree. Always nice to take 2 outta 3. But a solid team woulda swept us. Javy showed yet again that he can't go even 1 batter past 5 innings for whatever reason. And the bullpen took some major beatdowns. Freddy and Garland didn't have stellar outings either. Again, I'm glad for the series W but the way they played still was not impressive.

Madvora
07-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Yes, they took two out of three, but they're still playing just as bad as they have been since that Boston series. The only difference is that the competition sucks too.

batmanZoSo
07-31-2006, 09:51 AM
Yes, they took two out of three, but they're still playing just as bad as they have been since that Boston series. The only difference is that the competition sucks too.

Yeah well the competition gets even weaker now, so we have even more time to get it together and get hot again. Considering the abysmal way they played coming into Baltimore, what do you expect? At least they showed some fire and made a few comebacks. The second game was a major battle too and Garland was sick as a dog. It was a transition series, hopefully. We'll see if they take the next step tonight.

Madvora
07-31-2006, 09:56 AM
Yeah well the competition gets even weaker now, so we have even more time to get it together and get hot again. Considering the abysmal way they played coming into Baltimore, what do you expect? At least they showed some fire and made a few comebacks. The second game was a major battle too and Garland was sick as a dog. It was a transition series, hopefully. We'll see if they take the next step tonight.
I was looking for two sweeps because that's what I know they're capable of. They better get this one in KC.
The thing is that I was also expecting them to play better. They got two wins, but they're still not playing any better. This has gone on far too long and better end now.

sox1970
07-31-2006, 10:27 AM
They're only going to make the playoffs if they go on a run. Simply winning two out of three sounds good, but it's not realistic to think they'll do it every series for the rest of the year. They need a 15-5 stretch. Right now seems like a very good opportunity.

miker
07-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Winning 2 of 3 from a bad team VS. getting swept by a good team...is this a trick question?

At this point I take any wins I can get and hope that playing against teams like the O's and the Royals (which does NOT a guarantee a win!) will give us a chance to keep our heads above water and and opportunity to rediscover that momentum we had earlier in the year.

C'mon Sox...I'm still pulling for ya!

CommanderPudge72
07-31-2006, 10:48 AM
I'll take the wins...if it wasn't for the previous weeks, it wouldn't seem like such an "ominus victory". I think the pen was bad, and Javy is Javy....the silver lining is that the offense cam get jumpstarted off mediocre or bad pitching....we put up enough offense to win the entire series...

So, let's pile up some wins and see what happens.....

I am still not ready to conceede the division...Tigers can go in a slump...never felt they soundly beat us yet, as much as we beat ourselves...

And, the Tigers handily beat the Twins...

We get outta our funk soon, and we can regain the division.

nevr say dye sox
07-31-2006, 10:52 AM
anybody else upset with the way Cotts has been pitching? He can't get a lefty out if his life depended on it. you guys think he's shot? I'm starting to feel the same way about him as I did when Poliete would come in the game. If he comes in and their runners on, you know at least one is going to score!

CommanderPudge72
07-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Yeah, Cotts has been "unreliable" all season....not sure why. But, if I were Ozzie, I would be very careful about the situation I brought him in on. We no longer have the luxury cushion in the standings to let someone try and work out of a situation on the mound that they have been struggling with all year.

stl_sox_fan
07-31-2006, 10:59 AM
Yeah, Cotts has been "unreliable" all season....not sure why. But, if I were Ozzie, I would be very careful about the situation I brought him in on. We no longer have the luxury cushion in the standings to let someone try and work out of a situation on the mound that they have been struggling with all year.

I'm thinking they need to run polygraphs on all the pitchers and ask if they are injured/hurt/voodoo cursed or whatever. It is just crazy unbelievable that this staff has done a 180 with it's productivity.

CommanderPudge72
07-31-2006, 11:03 AM
You know what the biggest sadness with self-inflicted injuries are...you do it to yourself.

No matter where you go, who you are up against, you get hurt, not necessarily because of what the opposition is doing, but because you did it to yourself.

That is what is happening to the Sox right now. Ozzie is not maanging the issues with certain players/pitchers....players are always going to go through their slumps, but you have to deal around them...granted for the past weeks, its been the entire team, but this past series...its been the wrong pitcher selections at the wrong time.

Juice16
07-31-2006, 11:04 AM

My opinion exactly. I still had a bad feeling watching the game despite two wins.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2006, 01:34 PM
You always want to take a series but with 60 games or so to go, the Sox need to take advantage of every break that goes their way.

Lip

soxstarter
07-31-2006, 01:43 PM

Yes, this is true but let's hope they don't play like they think these next few teams are shoe-ins.....maybe they need a challenge.

Foulke You
07-31-2006, 02:11 PM
anybody else upset with the way Cotts has been pitching? He can't get a lefty out if his life depended on it. you guys think he's shot? I'm starting to feel the same way about him as I did when Poliete would come in the game. If he comes in and their runners on, you know at least one is going to score!
Cotts has been very inconsistent this year. He started out of the gate in April very badly but pitched well in May and June and now is starting to go into the crapper again in July. He was showing signs of the 2005 Cotts in June and I thought he was back but I think we just have to be patient and it will come back to him.

One thing I have noticed is that Neal's velocity is down a tad from last year. It isn't as dramatic as Cliff's drop off but last year he was popping the glove at 95-96 and this year it is down to 92-93mph. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, just an observation.

hawkjt
07-31-2006, 03:31 PM
No offense,foulke, but Cotts never threw 95-96. He has always been around 92 tops but as hawk always points out his motion allows his fastball to look much faster.

I honestly do not think he has lost velocity- its location. Those leftys are poking his outside pitches to left. He cannot get the inside strike over to keep them honest.

Jurr
07-31-2006, 04:17 PM
You never bitch about winning 2 of 3. Even if you're playing sloppy baseball, your pitching sucked, your hitting sucked, whatever. If you win 2 of 3, you're doing well. It's a lot better than looking really good but losing 2 of 3.

nug0hs
07-31-2006, 04:21 PM
does anyone know if ozzie/kw have had a closed door meeting with the team? a lot of people had said that they tought they should sit down and have a talk with the team during our slump but no one has mentioned it.

mrwag
07-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Ozzie is not maanging the issues with certain players/pitchers....players are always going to go through their slumps, but you have to deal around them...granted for the past weeks, its been the entire team, but this past series...its been the wrong pitcher selections at the wrong time. These guys are major league pitchers. They should be able to get anyone out, regardless of "match-ups". You can only blame a manager so far.

MrRoboto83
07-31-2006, 05:08 PM

With all those runs over the weekend, and all the food at the grinder fest I felt rather full thank you.:D: