PDA

View Full Version : battery

sox230
07-30-2006, 11:43 PM
So Sandy is going to be Buerhle's personal catcher?? Wonderful, so AJ, who is hitting on all cylinders will have to sit that game. Ozzie never had Widge be anybody's personal catcher. I agree our pitchers have sucked, and that could be AJ's fault who knows, (I do not know who actually calls the pitches), but I found this as not a good time to announce a pitcher will have a personal catcher when AJ is not only out of his slump, but hiting out of his mind. Does this mean, he will get 4 out of every 5 days off?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060730soxbits,1,6230829.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

TheDarkGundam
07-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Sandy knows Burls, he's familiar with how Burhle pitches. They played together before.
This seems like a good idea to me, I thought this is what people wanted when we first got Sandy (err, I mean, "first got him for the 3rd time")...
Does this mean, he will get 4 out of every 5 days off?

If Alomar always catches for Burls, then AJ will get 1 out of every 5 days off.

NDSox12
07-30-2006, 11:48 PM
So Sandy is going to be Buerhle's personal catcher?? Wonderful, so AJ, who is hitting on all cylinders will have to sit that game. Ozzie never had Widge be anybody's personal catcher. I agree our pitchers have sucked, and that could be AJ's fault who knows, (I do not know who actually calls the pitches), but I found this as not a good time to announce a pitcher will have a personal catcher when AJ is not only out of his slump, but hiting out of his mind. Does this mean, he will get 4 out of every 5 days off?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060730soxbits,1,6230829.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Did you miss this line in that article? :

"Guillen reiterated his faith in starting catcher A.J. Pierzynski and stressed that Alomar won't serve as Buehrle's personal catcher."

JB98
07-30-2006, 11:53 PM
I really don't think the pitching problems have anything to do with pitch-calling. If AJ was a genius at handling the staff last year, I don't think he's become an idiot now. The pitch selection isn't as big of a problem as the pitch execution, IMO.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-31-2006, 12:45 AM
I'm for anything that will help pick Mark up. I'm sure there is no problem with AJ, but if Buerhle's funk is mental I don't see how Alomar can hurt.

brewcrew/chisox
07-31-2006, 12:50 AM
Did you miss this line in that article? :

"Guillen reiterated his faith in starting catcher A.J. Pierzynski and stressed that Alomar won't serve as Buehrle's personal catcher."

Reading comprehension....who needs it?

CLR01
07-31-2006, 12:54 AM
Reading comprehension....who needs it?

Reeding never got anywon know were.

"wrong" sox fan
07-31-2006, 02:15 AM
even if here were, would it matter that much?

Is it that bad resting an offensive asset during the hottest months of the season 1 in 5 games?

Many teams do it, the yankees did it with Posada when Posada was having seasons much better than what AJ is doing now. Boston did it with Veritek over three seasons that Tek hit 70 homers. The Mets did it with Piazza, yes even when he was good.:wink:

ClaudelSleptHere
07-31-2006, 04:34 AM
Exactly which seasons was Posada "much better" than A.J. is right now?

"wrong" sox fan
07-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Exactly which seasons was Posada "much better" than A.J. is right now?
Every year since he's been a starter except 2, and what does that have to do with the claim that I am making about resting catchers not being a bad thing?

A.J. is having a fine season and WS fans should be very pleased at how he's playing. If I'm Ozzie I don't mind sitting him every 5th day just because I like resting the hardest workers in baseball (catchers).

His 805 OPS is wonderful for a catcher and all but lets not hurry to compare him to maybe the 3rd best offensive catcher since 1994.

voodoochile
07-31-2006, 07:58 AM
Reeding never got anywon know were.

I think you meant:

Reeding never got any won know WEAR.

And I disagree...

Basket weavers can win fashion design contests too...

digdagdug23
07-31-2006, 08:40 AM

So what do you suggest, AJ never has a break?

On his off days he can take up basket weaving. Maybe pretty gift baskets with fragrances, soaps, delicate chocolates for all his pitchers. That should help.

:threadsucks
This poor guy is getting a work out lately. Carpal Tunnel can't be far behind.

Paulwny
07-31-2006, 12:00 PM
I hope Buehrle didn't ask Oz to make this switch. Posada and Randy Johnson haven't exactly been buddy, buddy after Johnson asked for the change.