PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Jake Peavy?

TheOldRoman
07-30-2006, 07:50 PM
I was looking over the Padres stats, and I saw that Jake Peavy is having a miserable year. He is 5-10 with a 5.01 ERA. His WHIP is up from his career average, and he has already given up as many runs as all of last year. Why is that?
Some people on here (JJav?) follow the Padres, so I was wondering what is wrong with Peavy. Is he hurt? Has he been "figured out"?

rowand33
07-30-2006, 07:57 PM
I was looking over the Padres stats, and I saw that Jake Peavy is having a miserable year. He is 5-10 with a 5.01 ERA. His WHIP is up from his career average, and he has already given up as many runs as all of last year. Why is that?
Some people on here (JJav?) follow the Padres, so I was wondering what is wrong with Peavy. Is he hurt? Has he been "figured out"?

shoulder problems all year.

he's killing my fantasy team.

Mr. White Sox
07-30-2006, 09:39 PM
shoulder problems all year.

he's killing my fantasy team.
Killing my team as well.

He's been incredibly inconsistent; I don't think he's strung together three starts in a row under a 4.50 ERA (that would be three quality starts...that's what I'm getting at)

Of course he'll strike out 16 in a game...but all indications point to nagging shoulder problems as r33 has said.

The Wimperoo
07-30-2006, 09:56 PM
http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2006/07/dont_be_jaked_b_1.php
Pretty decent article on Peavy's stats this season. A lot of his peripherals are the same as they have been in the past. He's giving up more flyballs which is leading to more HR's. In addition he has been dealing with shoulder pain, but insists on pitching through it.

Jjav829
07-30-2006, 10:01 PM

Yes, I'm the leader of the WSI Jake Peavy fanclub. :smile:

He definitely hasn't been "figured out." It's hard to figure out a guy with his stuff. Just the 136 K's would tell you that.

It's really two-fold (or maybe one led to the other). He's battled shoulder problems all year long. And he's also a WBC guy. Peavy is one of many pitchers who pitched in the WBC and has either been injured or bad. He's really just been tremendously inconsistent, which could be due to the shoulder issues.

Peavy has made 20 starts this year. In 13 of those starters he has allowed 3 runs or less. In 6 of those starts he allowed 6 runs or more. In only one start did he allow 5 runs. So he's either been very good or very bad. Classic example, he struck out 16 Braves and allowed 2 runs in one start. The next start he allowed 6 runs in 5 innings.

Peavy will be fine. He's just had some rough outings, probably due to the shoulder or WBC issues.

TheOldRoman
07-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Yes, I'm the leader of the WSI Jake Peavy fanclub. :smile:

He definitely hasn't been "figured out." It's hard to figure out a guy with his stuff. Just the 136 K's would tell you that.

It's really two-fold (or maybe one led to the other). He's battled shoulder problems all year long. And he's also a WBC guy. Peavy is one of many pitchers who pitched in the WBC and has either been injured or bad. He's really just been tremendously inconsistent, which could be due to the shoulder issues.

Peavy has made 20 starts this year. In 13 of those starters he has allowed 3 runs or less. In 6 of those starts he allowed 6 runs or more. In only one start did he allow 5 runs. So he's either been very good or very bad. Classic example, he struck out 16 Braves and allowed 2 runs in one start. The next start he allowed 6 runs in 5 innings.

Peavy will be fine. He's just had some rough outings, probably due to the shoulder or WBC issues.
OK, thanks. I heard BS rumors on another board talking about the Padres sending Peavy to the Red Sox for Lowell and others. I'm assuming this is ridiculous? Unless they know something is seriously wrong with Peavy, I can't see them moving him.

soxfanreggie
07-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Wins wise, he has turned out to be a horrible pick for the fantasy team, but he's not a horrible pitcher.

Jjav829
07-30-2006, 10:11 PM
OK, thanks. I heard BS rumors on another board talking about the Padres sending Peavy to the Red Sox for Lowell and others. I'm assuming this is ridiculous? Unless they know something is seriously wrong with Peavy, I can't see them moving him.

Not a chance in hell. Padres fans would hang Kevin Towers from a foul pole if he did that.

I know the Padres want a 3B, and need one, but I'm guessing the Peavy for Lowell rumor was completely fabricated. Of course, given the Red Sox reported offer of Crisp for Buehrle, I suppose it's possible that Theo made some ridiculous offer of Lowell and crap for Peavy.

buehrle4cy05
07-30-2006, 11:14 PM
WBC issues.
I blame the Wind Bag Circus.