PDA

View Full Version : Pitching wins Championships

soxyess
07-30-2006, 03:46 PM
We just dont have the pitching top to bottom to win it this year. Its simple as that. They just dont go after the hitters. They dont focus, or maybe they are just not that good. Were 91/2 behind the Tigers, and 1/2 behind the Yanks, and the Yanks just got another bat and a pitcher. Unless KW gets us another arm by tomorrow, I dont think we have enough to get to the playoffs.

Patrick134
07-30-2006, 03:47 PM
We just dont have the pitching top to bottom to win it this year. Its simple as that. They just dont go after the hitters. They dont focus, or maybe they are just not that good. Were 91/2 behind the Tigers, and 1/2 behind the Yanks, and the Yanks just got another bat and a pitcher. Unless KW gets us another arm by tomorrow, I dont think we have enough to get to the playoffs.

8.5 behind tigers

SoxFanPrope
07-30-2006, 03:47 PM
:rolleyes:

ndgt10
07-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Our GM said that we were done dealing. It's time to forget about possible trades. The team we have now is going to have to start getting the job done.

MarySwiss
07-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Actually, until the Tigers win, I think it's 9.

And who cares? We can do this.

Jurr
07-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Man...so if we don't get another arm, we should just stop watching the games because the playoffs are a pipe dream, huh?

Glad I'm now informed. I thought our pitching was decent. Maybe not the 2005 pitching, but pretty good in its own right. Must be wrong.

batmanZoSo
07-30-2006, 03:50 PM
There's no chance of them winning the division by themselves. Detroit has to tank it for a while or the WC is all we got.

soxyess
07-30-2006, 03:52 PM
You shouldnt stop watching, but u have to be realistic. This is not 2005. We dont have the pitching to beat Yanks, Red Sox, Tigers. Its obvious.

SoxFanPrope
07-30-2006, 03:53 PM
You shouldnt stop watching, but u have to be realistic. This is not 2005. We dont have the pitching to beat Yanks, Red Sox, Tigers. Its obvious.
Have to be honest with you, the Yankees rotation doesn't really make me wet my pants. Nor does 3 of the 5 starting for the Wrong Sox.

Patrick134
07-30-2006, 03:54 PM

Yanks pitching is awful.

ndgt10
07-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Yanks pitching is awful.
I could have sworn they had a lower team ERA than we did last time we played them.

caulfield12
07-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Mussina has been rock solid. Johnson inconsistent....Wang has been showing signs of steady improvement. Lidle has been pitching very well and will help solidify their rotation and they can bump Ponson out.

Their problem has been Wright and then Chacon/Ponson whoever is their 5th. But their ERA is well below ours, they have a pretty good bullpen and a "decent" guy at the end there, don't you think?

I would much rather have had a 3 game lead on Minnesota in the WC...they were on the deck, Santana looked like crap and now they're back alive again.

MadetoOrta
07-30-2006, 03:59 PM
We ought to just quit scoreboard watching and see if we can't run off - gulp - 15 out of the next 20 games. Our pitching is our problem. 7 runs is plenty of runs. In addition, we won some games last year that this year have gone the other way. Examples? We won a game at Detroit last year with a line drive to Crede that would have lost us the game if it got by and the game at NYY late last year where Bernie Williams lined out to Paulie with the winning run in scoring position. That's baseball. I'm with those too who don't understand the Mackowiak fascination.

caulfield12
07-30-2006, 04:00 PM
6-3 Twins....WOW!!!

Patrick134
07-30-2006, 04:03 PM
6-3 Twins....WOW!!!

Bonderman had agem going, then Leyland left him out there way too long in the 8th, even after a bases loaded walk to tie the game which had Bonderman totally flustered. Tigers announcers saying they fel lucky the sox blew that one.

BanditJimmy
07-30-2006, 04:06 PM
For our pitching to get beat up by that line-up the Orioles put out this series, I don't like the out-look the rest of the way when the big bashers come into town.

Even Garland, our hottest starter going, took it in the chin yesterday.

We are getting beat up by bad offensive teams.

That Yankee Series a few weeks back, Torre was sending AAA players out there and they beat the crap out of our starters.

This series was awful.

The Twins had not homered in quite some time and took White Sox pitching to get them all hitting again. And now they face Detroit this weekend and can't get anything done offesively.

I don't like this pattern, but I guess we are still in the Wild Card hunt.

kwolf68
07-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Have to be honest with you, the Yankees rotation doesn't really make me wet my pants. Nor does 3 of the 5 starting for the Wrong Sox.

And just how much pant wetting does the White Sox pitching provide? Right now we have two quality starting pitchers. Garcia is doing it with gile and guts right now, but he is clearly wearing out as evidenced by his decrease in velocity.

Garland has been awesome and has pitched better than expected, but each of his last 3 wins have ALWAYS been followed up by a Vazquez loss/meltdown.

Contreras, while pitching well, isn't near as dominant as before he went on the DL. Our starting pitching is quite literally not very good and watching the games and looking at the stats prove that.

batmanZoSo
07-30-2006, 04:08 PM
For our pitching to get beat up by that line-up the Orioles put out this series, I don't like the out-look the rest of the way when the big bashers come into town.

Even Garland, our hottest starter going, took it in the chin yesterday.

We are getting beat up by bad offensive teams.

That Yankee Series a few weeks back, Torre was sending AAA players out there and they beat the crap out of our starters.

This series was awful.

The Twins had not homered in quite some time and took White Sox pitching to get them all hitting again. And now they face Detroit this weekend and can't get anything done offesively.

I don't like this pattern, but I guess we are still in the Wild Card hunt.

Did you hear Garland talk yesterday? He was sick as a dog. Irrelevant.

greenpeach
07-30-2006, 04:10 PM
I could have sworn they had a lower team ERA than we did last time we played them.

Detroit, Minnesota, New York & Boston all have lower team ERAs then we do at this point in the season. The Sox are currently ranked 18th out of 30 teams with a sparkling team ERA of 4.62. This is the one & only reason we may not make the playoffs this year. Forget all the other stuff about corpse ball & not manufacturing runs. That's all just peripheral stuff. Our pitching has let us down this year.

SoxFanPrope
07-30-2006, 04:12 PM
And just how much pant wetting does the White Sox pitching provide? Right now we have two quality starting pitchers. Garcia is doing it with gile and guts right now, but he is clearly wearing out as evidenced by his decrease in velocity.
Garland has been awesome and has pitched better than expected, but each of his last 3 wins have ALWAYS been followed up by a Vazquez loss/meltdown.
Contreras, while pitching well, isn't near as dominant as before he went on the DL. Our starting pitching is quite literally not very good and watching the games and looking at the stats prove that.
Well, because if the Sox make it to the playoffs, you can scratch Vazquez off the rotation. There is no way he is on a 4 man rotation.

My comments about the Yankees and Red Sox pitching was in response to a post saying that the Sox do not have the pitching to beat those teams.

BanditJimmy
07-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Did you hear Garland talk yesterday? He was sick as a dog. Irrelevant.

I did hear Farmer mention this on the radio. My feeling is if you are "sick as a dog," then you should stay home. Great to see Garland gut it out for the team, but it almost hurt the team more for him to be out there sick and give up the 6 runs he did. The offense picked him up and we got the W.

digdagdug23
07-30-2006, 04:47 PM

:wired: :wired:

Oh My God, I need help. These threads are like a train wreck I can't look away from.

If we don't, we don't. It's like my father-in-law always used to say:

"A man that's born to hang will never drown".

We have pitching, they are just under-performing. Apprently KW, Oz, and Coop have enough faith in these guys to stick with what we have, and go from there. If it's meant to be it will all come together, and then I can pull all the bookmarks out that I have saved, and lots of people get to eat words. If not, we move on to the next season. None of us is the GM (unless KW is masquerading here somewhere) and it is easy to have 20/20 vision when you look BACK.You look ahead to the next series, and see what happens there.

And ya, just because the trade deadline is tomorrow, doesn't mean we can't do anything after that.

BanditJimmy
07-30-2006, 04:52 PM
:wired: :wired:

Oh My God, I need help. These threads are like a train wreck I can't look away from.

There's this button on your PC with a light called the On/Off switch. Press it and hold it down and poof you won't need to see this any more.

Soxmissy
07-30-2006, 04:56 PM

As much as I love this team the bottom line is the pitching just isn't there this year. I would love to be optimistic and say they will step up and
pitch better the rest of the way but at this point I have to believe that I would be kidding myself. The schedule is unfavorable for them the rest of the way after KC. 59 games left and everyone is important in order to make the playoffs. I hope I am wrong but I just don't see our pitching as Championship
caliber this year.:(:

QCIASOXFAN
07-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Its the sad truth right now. We only have 2 starting pitchers that we can feel comforable with at the moment (Freddy is starting to come around). I think they still have time to turn it around though. I don't think I can say that for Javy though, he seems to be a lost cause. I just cannot believe that he makes the 3rd most amount of money on the team a year.:whiner:

FarWestChicago
07-30-2006, 05:06 PM
There's this button on your PC with a light called the On/Off switch. Press it and hold it down and poof you won't need to see this any more.Yeah, and there is a button on my screen that says "Ban User". All I have to do is click it and I won't see this anymore. :tsk:

ChiSoxFan7
07-30-2006, 05:07 PM
for that whole stretch of AL east always getting the WC the second team always just did it with bats and lil pitching. I hope right now that we can do the same. Because it seems at this point that our pitching isn't on, so our bats will carry.

DO NOT mistake me, I would LOVE to see our pitchin turn it around but right now all that's been working is our bats so this should be different story to the playoffs but hopefully the same conclusion as '05

"wrong" sox fan
07-30-2006, 05:26 PM
pitching does not win anything...

scoring more runs than you allow does.

A balanced team has a better chance of winning it all than an bad hitting team with a sick staff.

White Sox should be happy about the make up of their team. Should they not make the play offs it will be a dissapointment but sometimes teams get lucky/ unlucky. They've played well enough to be a play off team but so have NY, Boston, the Twins, and the Tigers.

IMO the twins and tigers have had good luck, the White Sox have had nuetral (bad luck in the sense that thier chief rivals are sleeping with angels) and boston and NY have had bad luck...

No matter who makes it or not they're all good teams.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-30-2006, 05:33 PM

Do me a favor:

Time capsule comments like this - I want to see what your comments are when the race tightens up and we close the gap. I'd love to see if you're gonna Marriotti your way around.

Bankees - blah.....Red Sox...blah....Tigers make it a fun race.

TDog
07-30-2006, 05:45 PM
There's no chance of them winning the division by themselves. Detroit has to tank it for a while or the WC is all we got.

As a matter fo fact Detroit's pitching and defense tanked late today. It might only be the third time this season the Tigers have lost after leading a game by three or more runs, but it was the second time in a couple of weeks.

If the Sox had an 8.5 game lead, I wouldn't be comfortable. I wasn't comfortable last year when it was down to 8.5.

digdagdug23
07-30-2006, 05:49 PM
As a matter fo fact Detroit's pitching and defense tanked late today. It might only be the third time this season the Tigers have lost after leading a game by three or more runs, but it was the second time in a couple of weeks.

If the Sox had an 8.5 game lead, I wouldn't be comfortable. I wasn't comfortable last year when it was down to 8.5.

This is the point I was trying to make, counting on anyone else is wrong, and whining because we won 2 of 3 is wrong. Still entirely too early to be making any kind of predictions, and we can only do what we are capable of doing, and let the chips fall where they may. We take care of our own business.

TDog
07-30-2006, 05:56 PM
This year the trick in the AL will be getting into what has become the postseason tournament. This has been a brutal season and the amphetamines are gone. Won lost records will qualify and seed the AL teams, but they won't dictate who will be the best team at the end of September.

ZombieRob
07-30-2006, 06:04 PM

yea but the yankees swept us and made it look easy with there so called mediocre pitching and our so called vaunted offense

digdagdug23
07-30-2006, 06:07 PM
yea but the yankees swept us and made it look easy with there so called mediocre pitching and our so called vaunted offense

Didn't they sweep us last year, though, too? If they didn't they at least took the series. I believe the Red Sox did the same thing to us. You can't win every game. I am really not looking through rose-colored glasses, but I just believe you can't gage a performance for the entire season to that point on one series.

ZombieRob
07-30-2006, 06:11 PM
Didn't they sweep us last year, though, too? If they didn't they at least took the series. I believe the Red Sox did the same thing to us. You can't win every game. I am really not looking through rose-colored glasses, but I just believe you can't gage a performance for the entire season to that point on one series.

1 a better bo-sox team then last year .2 completly diffrent white sox team then last year. Bad pitching ,Bad defense,questionible managing and terrible execution on the base paths. My question is this .What will it take to turn this pitching around ? and is it too late?

MarySwiss
07-30-2006, 06:23 PM
This is the point I was trying to make, counting on anyone else is wrong, and whining because we won 2 of 3 is wrong. Still entirely too early to be making any kind of predictions, and we can only do what we are capable of doing, and let the chips fall where they may. We take care of our own business.

You are rapidly becoming one of my--and probably many others'--favorite posters. Talking about hitting the nail on the head!

Anyone else notice that most--but not all--of the "woe is me" posts in this thread are from newbies? To those gnarled veterans of the 2005 campaign who are crawling out on the ledge, I can only say, "shame on you." And as Daver said not long ago to a pessimistic poster (see how cleverly I avoided using the phrase "dark cloud?") "Go ahead and jump."

Lip Man 1
07-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Dig:

Last year the Sox won 2 of 3 at Yankee Stadium and the Yanks won 2 of 3 at U.S. Cellular.

Lip

digdagdug23
07-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Last year the Sox won 2 of 3 at Yankee Stadium and the Yanks won 2 of 3 at U.S. Cellular.
Lip

Thanks Lip, I knew it was something like a sweep or series win, just couldn't recall that far back. My memory, she ain't what she used to be. :D: As good as we were last season, we were far from a perfect team. Let's wait and see what happens when the Yanks come to town.

thomas35forever
07-30-2006, 09:15 PM
It's just been a crappy July. The dog days of summer will give us a boost.

JRIG
07-30-2006, 09:29 PM

The Yankees now have Mussina, Wang, a washed-up Randy Johnson, a guy who can't throw more than 5 innings (Jaret Wright), and a guy with a 4.7something ERA in the crappy National League (Cory Lidle).

The Red Sox have Schilling, Beckett, the corpse of David Wells, rookie Jon Lester with 30 walks in 53 innings, and Kyle freaking Snyder.

And you think we have pitching troubles? Yes Buehrle is struggling. Yes, Vazquez has trouble past the 5th. But I'll take our problems any day over what the Red Sox and Yankees are running out there.

Grzegorz
07-30-2006, 09:32 PM
And you think we have pitching troubles? Yes Buehrle is struggling. Yes, Vazquez has trouble past the 5th. But I'll take our problems any day over what the Red Sox and Yankees are running out there.

You just might be right; I just read today that the Red Sox wanted Buehrle for Coco Crisp.

I am just hoping for consistency out of our staff and bullpen.

Domeshot17
07-31-2006, 12:33 AM
I dont care about the names really

If Lester is pitching well and Buehlre isnt, right now its a better situation for the Red Sox. I think this is 3 pronged and each of the 3 determines our fate (although I must say what Im about to post reminds me of John Madden and his "if the other team wants to win, they need to score more touchdowns" Comment)

(1) The pitching stays like this, very bad. Bull pen bad, starters bad, we wont have the O's to bail us out like this last series. Good teams will expose that, and we will be on the wrong side of the standings. This is worst case

(2) The pitching improves some, Buehlre turns it around, Vaz, some bullpen members keep struggling. This will leave us in the thick of things. Hanging around, 1 up or 2 out, fighting and scrapping tooth and nail.

(3) The pitching lives up to what we thought. Garland puts it back together, Buehlre and Vazquez and Freddy get it together, Cotts remembers how to locate and Jenks puts it behind him. We could run away with this. On paper this team is the best team in baseball. There is nothing else that can compare. However, Championships dont get won on paper. I still like our lineup against anyone (including the yanks with Abreu). We get our pitching to run off a ton of quality starts in a row, we could run away with this thing. I dont think any other team can say that.