PDA

View Full Version : Abreu headed to the Bronx!

rowand33
07-30-2006, 01:12 PM
from espn.com:

Abreu Appears Headed To Bronx (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2534459)

The Yankees and Phillies reached a tentative deal Sunday that will send Bobby Abreu and Cory Lidle to New York for three minor-league players. The Yankees will also pick up Abreu's contract in full

link for full story: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2534459

soxfanreggie
07-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Well, it's pretty easy for the Phils to make that trade. They pick up some good prospects (not that NY has a lot of them), and they are off the hook for Abreu's entire contract. They pick up Lidle who can help pick up the slack in the starting pitching dept. Not much you can do unless you're willing to shell out a lot.

Baby Fisk
07-30-2006, 01:19 PM
I hate the Yankees. :angry:

SoxFanPrope
07-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Here is my first question about this trade, somebody help me out here.

Abreu's numbers are down from last year. How in the world are his numbers going to improve in the AMERICAN LEAGUE? If he can't do it in the National League, how's he going to do it in the American?

SOXintheBURGH
07-30-2006, 01:23 PM
*yawn*

Abreu is going to add another what, ten homers to the lineup? Unit is gonna give that many up in his next two starts.

SoxFanPrope
07-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Here's another question I wonder about the Yankees; How many more prospects can they possibly have left?

rowand33
07-30-2006, 01:25 PM

Abreu's numbers are down from last year. How in the world are his numbers going to improve in the AMERICAN LEAGUE? If he can't do it in the National League, how's he going to do it in the American?

well, his homers are down, but his OBP is up to .427 this year. and he was still on pace for 100+ RBI right now.

only his home runs are down.

Paulwny
07-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Yankmee radio, Suzie Weldman (sp) and Sterling, ~ "the players have been agreed upon however the yanks will not pick up the option yr on Abreu. It's now up to Abreu and his agent to come to some sort of financial agreement with ny. "The deal isn't done yet.

DSpivack
07-30-2006, 01:36 PM
When Matsui, then Sheffield, come back from the DL, where's he gonna play?

Paulwny
07-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Abreu's option yr is 2008, to complete this deal Abreu may ask for $$$$$ for losing the option and to waive his no trade clause ( Sterling, Weldman (sp))

INSox56
07-30-2006, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't worth his money in the AL. He's never impressed me immensely. Yet another reason to laugh HARD at the Yanks if he fails....yet another wasted huge contract for an overpayed player.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-30-2006, 01:40 PM

He gets the short porch but Philadelphia is an easier park for Home Runs (above and beyond the benefit of facing NL Pitchers).

Abreu's divisional opponents ballparks were all pitchers parks (RFK, Shea, Florida, Atlanta).

He is 32 and looks to be in decline phase. He is a very expensive fill in for Sheffield and it looks like Sheffield will not be returning to NY next season.

Lidle will help their weak staff if only to eat innings.

Paulwny
07-30-2006, 01:43 PM
[quote=SouthSide_HitMen]
it looks like Sheffield will not be returning to NY next season.

quote]

Yep, being discused during the yankmee game broadcast

gbergman
07-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Well if this helps them keep Boston out of the Playoffs so be it.

SoxFanPrope
07-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Well if this helps them keep Boston out of the Playoffs so be it.
I'm actually really hoping for a late season push by the Jays to keep both Boston and the Yanks out of the playoffs.

buehrle4cy05
07-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Over/under on how long it takes Abreu to get booed in New York because he's really not having that good of a season: 1 week.

QCIASOXFAN
07-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Over/under on how long it takes Abreu to get booed in New York because he's really not having that good of a season: 1 week. 4 games.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Ah...more overhead Georgie boy can vent about when the Bankees don't make it past the ALDS. Ha.....peas in a pod.

doctorlecter
07-30-2006, 02:01 PM
CSN reporting that it's a done deal. Abreu and Lidle are Yankees. No report on whether any of the Yanks' two or three decent prospects were included.

buehrle4cy05
07-30-2006, 02:01 PM
When Matsui, then Sheffield, come back from the DL, where's he gonna play?

Something tells me he'll end up riding the pine.

Brian26
07-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Something tells me he'll end up riding the pine.

He'll probably DH. That's a better option than Bernie.

PushnThaEscalade
07-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Considering Cashman didn't give up Hughes and Tabata, not too bad of a move at all. Abreu might do well in NY. As long as the Sox take care of business, we will not have that much of a problem dealing with him.

Save McCuddy's
07-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Pretty solid move by the bombers. Abreu gives them another left handed bat, better defense than they'd be getting if either Sheff or Matsui were healthy and Lidle who could prove to be this year's version of Shawn Chacon.

It appears that they traded their #1 from 2005 a shortstop in low A C.J. Henry and Matt Smith who's a 27 yr. old lefty out of the pen with no track record. I'd say it's a buyers' market and that this is a sensible trade for a team that has money to burn.

EndemicSox
07-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Wow, some are not taking this news well, or have simply not looked at the numbers Bobby puts on the board. He gets on base with the best of them, and will only make the Yankees tougher to beat. The prospects given to the Phillies are not impressive. Big George is throwing money around again.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-30-2006, 05:07 PM
This was a pure salary dump. And to think the Red Sox offered Manny for abreu at the start of the year.

TDog
07-30-2006, 05:53 PM
The Yankees always make deals. A lot of people don't perform with the Yankees nearly as well as everyone expects. Most of the deals don't work out, but the Yankees spend so much money to make up for their mistakes that no one notices how poor many of their personnel moves are.

I don't think this will make a big difference in the Yankees this year. It wouldn't have kept the DRays from scoring 19 runs on Saturday (with Randy Johnson starting). It won't improve the Yankees in future years.

jabrch
07-30-2006, 06:11 PM
Plain old salary dump...

They gave up NOTHING. 4 low level prospects, at best, for Abreu AND Lidle. I wish we could absorb 40mm more of liability over 2+ years and not think twice.

Patrick134
07-30-2006, 06:43 PM
The yankees major successes over the years were more of when they had a good team that came up together, rather than the rent an all star junk they do now. making a dream rotisserie team doesn't always translate into wins.

Corlose 15
07-30-2006, 08:25 PM
The Yankees can't seriously continue to spend money like this can they? Its fine with me if they do since whenever they decided to go with the big name expensive players at every position they haven't done **** in the playoffs.

With they way they've depleted their system too they're going to have to continue to spend to be competetive.

Pierzynski 12
07-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Isn't this something new.:D:

JB98
07-30-2006, 10:33 PM
He'll probably DH. That's a better option than Bernie.

Yeah, they'll put Giambi back at 1B every day. Bernie goes to the pine. If both Matsui and Sheffield come back healthy, Sheff becomes the DH.

brewcrew/chisox
07-30-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm actually really hoping for a late season push by the Jays to keep both Boston and the Yanks out of the playoffs.

As long as that push doesn't happen next weekend.:cool:

BeviBall!
07-31-2006, 07:23 AM
That lineup, when healthy, is just flat out ridiculous.

spiffie
07-31-2006, 07:56 AM
The Yankees can't seriously continue to spend money like this can they?
They won't really be spending any more except for these last 2 months. After this season Abreu slides into Sheffield's salary slot. Johnson's deal will come off the books in another season so even if they go and overspend this offseason for Zito they only have to wait one year to get $16 million in salary relief from Johnson's leaving. Mussina only has one more season, an option season at that. Posada is optionable for next year, and it would not surprise me to see the Yanks not accept his $10 million option. I haven't looked to see if Wright has had enough DL time to make his 07 season a club option, but if so I can't imagine them keeping him unless they have to. So they could possibly clear some $40-50 million from the payroll this offseason, while only adding $16 million.

Fred Manrique
07-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Last night they were saying Sheffield might learn to play first base. Lots of people are going to laugh at a move like that, but truth be told that is an all-star lineup.

Obviously we can't just hand the thing over to the Yanks, especially with questionable pitching, players who are more about stats than winning and a weaker defense once Sheffield does move to first, but they gave up nothing for a player I think it primed to break out.

The fact that Abreu has only eight home runs scares me more than if he had a lot. Just like Teixxera he is due to start hitting them soon.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2006, 12:59 PM
I thought I read this on ESPN.com yesterday and couldn't believe it.

Can someone confirm or deny this?

I read where the Yankees aree now spending 100 million more then the next closest team in terms of payroll.

Is that true?????

Lip

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2006, 01:02 PM

I read where the Yankees aree now spending 100 million more then the next closest team in terms of payroll.

Is that true?????

LipI heard the same thing, and it sounds about right. I believe the Red Sox are around $120M and the Yankees were around $300M going into the season. Of course, they have about $50M on the DL.

bluestar
07-31-2006, 01:07 PM

Is that true?????

Lip

Apparently it is true. Supposedly, the Abreu/Lidle deal adds $23 million to their payroll. Their payroll was reportedly already right at $200 million. The Red Sox reportedly have the next highest at just over $120 million.

Does it mean anything if you spend ten times what some other teams spend? If you do that and win, people just say, you should have won with that payroll. If you lose, people just laugh.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2006, 01:09 PM
I heard the same thing, and it sounds about right. I believe the Red Sox are around $120M and the Yankees were around $300M going into the season. Of course, they have about $50M on the DL.

Dotel, Sturtze, Cano, Matsui, Sheffield and Pavano. It's amazing they have been able to win any games with Damon missing a bunch of games with back issues, the 2004-Sox-esk 5th starter issue, 3 or 4 backups starting regularly now... Imagine what they can do with some of those issues resolved. Scary.

Paulwny
07-31-2006, 01:33 PM

Is that true?????

Lip

I'm surprised you're shocked Lip.
If I remember correctly there were many here who thought that ny maxed out last year at at $210 mil. With the YES Net and 4 mil attendance , King George has $$$$ to burn.