PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC article on Ozzie by Mike Celizic

CallMeNuts
07-30-2006, 09:12 AM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14063908/

Celizic compares Ozzie to Billy Martin. He says Ozzie inspires through terror and threats.

I cannot see any basis for his opinion. The only times I can remember him being noticeably mad at players are:

1) During the Marte incident last year.
2) Sean Tracey's inability to put the ball in the right place this year.

On the contrary, it seems like Ozzie gives his players lots of chances to succeed and doesn't kick them during slumps. Did anybody think it looked like Ozzie was mad at Politte?

Am I missing something?

MarySwiss
07-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Yet another sports columnist who should never, under any circumstances, allow his picture to be printed next to his column. At least until he loses that doofy hat!

Craig Grebeck
07-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Celizic is a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad writer. I'd recommend www.firejoemorgan.blogspot.com for some pretty good beatdowns of his writing.

michned
07-30-2006, 10:27 AM
At first I thought the article wouldn't be as bad as everyone made it sound but it absolutely is. There is no mention that Martin's heavy drinking always played a part in his managerial flameouts.

The one similarity I see is Martin got into an altercation with Reggie Jackson in the dugout and everyone saw it so everyone always talks about it. Ozzie rips into a Tracey or Garland regarding retaliation so everyone talks about it.

But other than that, I've never heard any rumblings from players not wanting to play for Ozzie, and it is well documented (the book "The Bronx Zoo" being one place) that his players loved playing for Billy Martin. They are both players' managers yet Celizic seems to be trying to rewrite history.

If he wanted to write an article about this subject he should have wrote it about Mike Keenan.

fquaye149
07-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Celizic is a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad writer. I'd recommend www.firejoemorgan.blogspot.com (http://www.firejoemorgan.blogspot.com) for some pretty good beatdowns of his writing.

ken tremendous HATES hatguy

southside rocks
07-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Well, we never thought that the Windsock was the only blithering idiot out there with a column, did we.

NonetheLoaiza
07-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Lost effectiveness? Last time I checked, the White Sox are still in the hunt for the Wild Card, and division. That's losing effectiveness? Not to mention, this guy wrote an article about a team he has seen on tv maybe once, and seen in person probably never?

GoGoOzzie
07-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Guillen has exhausted his effectiveness. The ploys and gambits, the tantrums and tirades that worked last year aren’t working this year. Instead of being amused by their manager, the players are starting to act as if they’re tired of him. They’re not waiting to see what he does next but praying that he just shuts up and lets them play.

I've never even heard of this guy, and frankly, I never want to hear of him again.

Since when are ANY Sox players acting as though they are "tired" of Ozzie??

Did I miss something?

cheezheadsoxfan
07-30-2006, 07:27 PM
That is one of the most idiotic articles I've ever read, right up there with Mariotti. He gives absolutely nothing (fact, rumour, etc.) to base this on. The comparison to Billy Martin is a joke. Martin was an alcoholic who had very bad childhood and a lot of the emotional baggage that goes with that. Also he worked for Steinbrenner. If you already mentally fragile that could push you over the edge. And has someone else said, the players loved Martin.

Ozzie has none of these issues. Sure, he's blunt and he's excitable. I don't see those as all that negative.

These damm writers love to have a character to give them column inches and turn on them as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

This same nitwit gave Johnny Weir, the figure skater, the same treatment.:angry:

ClaudelSleptHere
07-31-2006, 12:50 AM
I can't help but think that the only reason this idiot even mentioned Ozzie is that he hopes it might help his beloved Yankees. Nice try, douchebag.

miker
07-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Mike Celizic is yet another abuse of "Freedom of the Press."

cheezheadsoxfan
07-31-2006, 09:38 AM
I can't help but think that the only reason this idiot even mentioned Ozzie is that he hopes it might help his beloved Yankees. Nice try, douchebag.

That thought occured to me also.

mccoydp
07-31-2006, 09:54 AM

Celzic's columns are always centered on the Yankmees and the Blow Sox. To him, those two are already in the ALCS.

This is the same guy who picked roid-head Giambi as his AL MVP for this year. Please.