PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Stark: Reports Yankees closer to getting Abreu + Lidle

Mr. White Sox
07-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's Jayson Stark believes the Yankees will acquire Bobby Abreu and Cory Lidle from the Phillies for 2005 first-round pick C.J. Henry and right-hander Steven White.
The Phillies could likely get better prospects for Lidle alone, but that so clearly isn't the point. Abreu's no-trade clause may or may not be a stumbling block. The Yankees are apparently prepared to pick up his $16 million option for 2008 in order to keep him happy, though it's not guaranteed that Abreu wouldn't more to sign off on the deal. In taking Abreu's contract, the Yankees would be employing about $100 million more in talent than any other team in baseball. If they can win under those circumstances, well, Joe Torre really must be a genius.

ShoelessJoeS
07-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Per Rotoworld.com:I hope this falls through.

Craig Grebeck
07-30-2006, 09:04 AM
We could use Abreu, but we don't have 37 million to throw around.

palehozenychicty
07-30-2006, 09:27 AM
We could use Abreu, but we don't have 37 million to throw around.

Abreu is overpaid, and a loser. He's another Soriano, who puts up pretty statistics in losing environments. Hope the yankmees get him.

Craig Grebeck
07-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Abreu is overpaid, and a loser. He's another Soriano, who puts up pretty statistics in losing environments. Hope the yankmees get him.
Whaaaaaaat? So because the team assembled around him is horrendous, he is a loser? That is perhaps the worst line of thinking I've ever heard. His career line is .301/.412/.507/.919...While averaging 30 SB per season. He's had a pitching staff the quality of the Lansing Lugnuts, but you're right, he's the loser.

Brian26
07-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Whaaaaaaat? So because the team assembled around him is horrendous, he is a loser? That is perhaps the worst line of thinking I've ever heard. His career line is .301/.412/.507/.919...While averaging 30 SB per season. He's had a pitching staff the quality of the Lansing Lugnuts, but you're right, he's the loser.

Not defending Palehoze here, but I might understand what he was trying to get at. On the surface, the offensive numbers he's put up over the past six or seven years are pretty damn good. However, he's also always been regarded as a notoriously underachieving player. He goes through stretches (sometimes quite long) where he can't hit his way out of a paperbag. It's amazing he's finished each year close to or over .300. He's been labeled as difficult in the clubhouse and not the hardest working guy around. Some of this stuff, maybe, could be cleaned up with some better coaching or in a different environment.

Jjav829
07-30-2006, 11:01 AM
If this trade goes through, that team will look a team put together on a PS2 baseball game. If they get everyone back healthy, their lineup would look something like this.

Damon
Jeter
Giambi
Arod
Abreu
Sheffield
Matsui
Posada
Cano

Wow, that's good.

Fortunately their rotation would be:

Mussina
Johnson
Wang
Lidle
Wright

Wow, that's bad.

Craig Grebeck
07-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Not defending Palehoze here, but I might understand what he was trying to get at. On the surface, the offensive numbers he's put up over the past six or seven years are pretty damn good. However, he's also always been regarded as a notoriously underachieving player. He goes through stretches (sometimes quite long) where he can't hit his way out of a paperbag. It's amazing he's finished each year close to or over .300. He's been labeled as difficult in the clubhouse and not the hardest working guy around. Some of this stuff, maybe, could be cleaned up with some better coaching or in a different environment.
That all makes sense. If Palehoze would have said that instead of "he's a loser, i hope the yankmees get him" it would have made sense. I for one hope he goes to the Mets and stays out of the AL.

Brian26
07-30-2006, 11:42 AM
If this trade goes through, that team will look a team put together on a PS2 baseball game. If they get everyone back healthy, their lineup would look something like this.
Damon Jeter Giambi Arod Abreu Sheffield Matsui Posada Cano
Wow, that's good.

The best collection of players doesn't always win a championship, but the best team does. It's an old adage, but it may be true.

caulfield12
07-30-2006, 11:55 AM
How many US NHL, NBA and baseball players have learned that lesson internationally in the last decade or so? Albeit, different circumstances and not actual teams playing together on a continuous basis, but the underlying theory is still correct.

MrX
07-30-2006, 01:00 PM
ESPN is reporting they've reached an agreement.

SOXintheBURGH
07-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Looks official.