PDA

View Full Version : 1 Trade to go all the way....

White Sox Randy
07-29-2006, 01:15 PM
I realize that KW is probably done dealing. But, if he were to make one more trade, I think this one is out there and feasible. It would make us the clear favorite to go all the way. Here it is:

Garcia, Pods, Josh Fields and C. Haeger to Philly

for Abreu and Gordon and cash

This would give the White Sox the best bullpen in baseball - maybe in the history of baseball. 3 closers would allow the Sox to pull any of our starters after 5 without a problem. We would probably win 90%+ of all games that we led after 6.

Also, since we were the highest scoring team in baseball until recently, this would probably give us a lineup as good as any in the game.

The starting rotation would be atleast as good if not better - and also among the best.

We would end up taking on some big salary but hopefully by throwing in Haeger and maybe another lesser prospect we could get Philly to pay about 4 mil. per year of Abreu's contract - they pitched in what ? 22 mil. on Thome's ?

Who thinks this trade would give us the best chance to win it all ?

Who has a better trade idea ? I'm just talking about 1 trade to win it all.

kwolf68
07-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Wow. I hate that deal.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Adding Abreu to this team would be huge for this year and the future. If all they want are 2nd tier prospects from the Yankees, we should definitely get him.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Wow. I hate that deal.Me, too. Blech.

StockdaleForVeep
07-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Why would u give away our speed for power? This is what ozzie did away the past two years. If we needed or wanted power we woulda kept carlos lee.

Offense isnt the problem, its the starting rotation,maybe bench a few of the starters their next start and let mccarthy and cotts do a start or 2 just to give the starters a week to think\ready.

Also, the issue of 3 closers doesnt make it a great bullpen, its a rather notable fact that some closers are lights out in tense closing situations but suck in mop up duty cuz its not the same. Look at Gordon when he was on the sox, he wasnt that great as a setup man, hell, its like he would delib walk the bases loaded for the challenge of it.

Also, i dont want a trade for just this season. If fields needs to go, i want a semi aged player(like late 20-early 30) who we can keep for 2-4 years and will be great. Fields will have a great trade value and he wont play unless crede goes down or goes to a diff team

kwolf68
07-29-2006, 01:25 PM
One thing is, I don't believe we need to do anything with our pen.

I think Kenny has really resolved that issue. Last night against Baltimore (I was there and I hung in till the end, wooooo) our pen really showed what it is capable of.

Honestly, I think our pen is just fine. If our starters can get it going and we can start getting those clutch hits (last night was promising, still with a few chinks) then we should be able to rally back.

soxyess
Uribe, Fields, Haegar(or Broadway), AA-A throw in to the Orioles for

Tejada and Bedard

we pay the rest of Tejada's contract

batmanZoSo
We don't need any trades to go all the way. We have all the pieces we could possibly need to win another championship, and there are no worthwhile deals out there that I know of.

Our bullpen is set, our lineup is stacked and balanced, we have 5 good starters. This is it. Perform.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 01:33 PM
We don't need any trades to go all the way. We have all the pieces we could possibly need to win another championship, and there are no worthwhile deals out there that I know of.

Our bullpen is set, our lineup is stacked and balanced, we have 5 good starters. This is it. Perform.Finally some sense in this ridiculous thread. The Sox don't need different players. They need the players they have to perform to their capabilities.

Tragg
07-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Finally some sense in this ridiculous thread. The Sox don't need different players. They need the players they have to perform to their capabilities.
Exactly.

There is no trade that will "take us all the way" anyway.

The deal at the top of the thread, solves none of our real problems and gives away a lot of young talent for geezers - pass.

MarySwiss
07-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Finally some sense in this ridiculous thread. The Sox don't need different players. They need the players they have to perform to their capabilities.

Absolutely. I don't usually agree with Mike and Mike, but the other day they were discussing the trade deadline and who needed to do what and they said we didn't need to do anything.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Absolutely. I don't usually agree with Mike and Mike, but the other day they were discussing the trade deadline and who needed to do what and they said we didn't need to do anything.You mean they actually talked about something other than football??

MarySwiss
07-29-2006, 01:43 PM
You mean they actually talked about something other than football??

Apparently. I didn't hear it, but Mr.MarySwiss told me that's what they said.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Player A: AVG .277 | HR 8 | RBI 65 | OBP .427 | SLG .434 SB 20 CS 4
Player B: AVG .271 | HR 3 | RBI 37 | OBP .347 | SLG .394 SB 29 CS 12

Player A can leadoff for me any day of the week.

batmanZoSo
07-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Any trade scenario that involves Podsednik is something I tend to immediately dismiss. His arrival was the single most important offensive addition that led us to the World Series. Before him, we coudn't even make the playoffs. Is it all because of Pods? Of course not, but it's not entirely coincidence that we won it all his first year here either.

TDog
07-29-2006, 01:47 PM
I realize that KW is probably done dealing. But, if he were to make one more trade, I think this one is out there and feasible. It would make us the clear favorite to go all the way. Here it is: ...

All the way to what?

buehrle4cy05
07-29-2006, 01:49 PM
We already have a rightfielder and a setup man.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Any trade scenario that involves Podsednik is something I tend to immediately dismiss. His arrival was the single most important offensive addition that led us to the World Series. Before him, we coudn't even make the playoffs. Is it all because of Pods? Of course not, but it's not entirely coincidence that we won it all his first year here either.
His first year here we had four pitchers have career years. This year our offense is much, much, much better and there is absolutely no reason for us to play smallball. Abreu>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Podsednik

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Any trade scenario that involves Podsednik is something I tend to immediately dismiss. His arrival was the single most important offensive addition that led us to the World Series. Before him, we coudn't even make the playoffs. Is it all because of Pods? Of course not, but it's not entirely coincidence that we won it all his first year here either.I sometimes have to wonder what people were watching last year. Did no one notice that the August and September slump exactly coincided with when Podsednik was hurt? It certainly was a big topic of conversation here. Or did I dream that?:?:

Tragg
07-29-2006, 01:53 PM
His first year here we had four pitchers have career years. This year our offense is much, much, much better and there is absolutely no reason for us to play smallball. Abreu>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Podsednik
He gets on base at a .350 clip to allow the power in the middle of the lineup to mean something. That isn't small ball.

That said, Podesednik for Abreu....I'm for it.

batmanZoSo
07-29-2006, 01:54 PM
I sometimes have to wonder what people were watching last year. Did no one notice that the August and September slump exactly coincided with when Podsednik was hurt? It certainly was a big topic of conversation here. Or did I dream that?:?:

Exactly the fact I forgot to add in my point.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2006, 01:56 PM
I sometimes have to wonder what people were watching last year. Did no one notice that the August and September slump exactly coincided with when Podsednik was hurt? It certainly was a big topic of conversation here. Or did I dream that?:?:
I'm not discounting that, but I'm going to check the staff ERA during this point of the season.

batmanZoSo
07-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Is Abreu a better player than Podsednik? Yes. But to say he's better for this team is asinine. It wasn't a small ball team last year either. That's a big fallacy about the WS team. It was a pitching and home run team that got all the clutch hits that they needed. This year, the clutch hits haven't come as often.

Just because we have (and had) a speed burner and a great number 2 hitter doesn't make us a small ball team. But that being said, if you take away the speed element at the top of this lineup, it changes everything for the worse. Look at the best offense of the last 20 years (IMO), the 99 Indians. They had a little speed at the top of their order if I remember correctly...

Look at last year like no.2 pointed out:

Pods healthy, we rule
Pods goes down, we can't win
Pods comes back, we get it together and go on to win World Series

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Is Abreu a better player than Podsednik? Yes. But to say he's better for this team is asinine. It wasn't a small ball team last year either. That's a big phallacy about the WS team. It was a pitching and home run team that got all the clutch hits that they needed. This year, the clutch hits haven't come as often.

Just because we have (and had) a speed burner and a great number 2 hitter doesn't make us a small ball team. But that being said, if you take away the speed element at the top of this lineup, it changes everything for the worse. Look at the best offense of the last 20 years (IMO), the 99 Indians. They had a little speed at the top of their order if I remember correctly...

Look at last year like no.2 pointed out:

Pods healthy, we rule
Pods goes down, we can't win
Pods comes back, we get it together and go on to win World SeriesOh, my goodness. Freud would have a field day.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2006, 02:03 PM
We played smallball, we sacrificed a ton and ran a lot on the bases. And Abreu's speed is a lot more useful than Podsednik's, considering he has an 83% SB rate against Podsednik's 71% rate.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 02:05 PM
We played smallball, we sacrificed a ton and ran a lot on the bases. And Abreu's speed is a lot more useful than Podsednik's, considering he has an 83% SB rate against Podsednik's 71% rate.But a lot fewer attempts. Konerko has a 100% SB rate.

samram
07-29-2006, 02:11 PM
But a lot fewer attempts. Konerko has a 100% SB rate.
Yeah, but he hits 3rd in Philly, where the fourth hitter, Utley (maybe Howard or Burrell) isnt adjusting his at-bat to allow him to steal- that leads to fewer attempts. If he were to hit leadoff with the Sox, it could be a different story- the problem is he's been very reluctant to hit first in Philly, forcing them to leave Rollins and his bad OBP in the leadoff spot.

"wrong" sox fan
07-29-2006, 02:12 PM
I realize that KW is probably done dealing. But, if he were to make one more trade, I think this one is out there and feasible. It would make us the clear favorite to go all the way. Here it is:

This would give the White Sox the best bullpen in baseball - maybe in the history of baseball. 3 closers would allow the Sox to pull any of our starters after 5 without a problem. We would probably win 90%+ of all games that we led after 6.

Also, since we were the highest scoring team in baseball until recently, this would probably give us a lineup as good as any in the game.

The starting rotation would be atleast as good if not better - and also among the best.

We would end up taking on some big salary but hopefully by throwing in Haeger and maybe another lesser prospect we could get Philly to pay about 4 mil. per year of Abreu's contract - they pitched in what ? 22 mil. on Thome's ?

No way this trade would ever happen, why should Philly do it?

Sure the would love to get out of Bobby Arbue's contract but even though they know that his contract is hurting the team they also understand he is a player of value. They may dumb him a very low price if and only if they don't have to pay a dime in return.

lets break down the trade

Pods for Bobby:

Pods is of little value to a team with a lot of options in the outfield. This would clearly be a massive step back for them.

Garcia for Gordon:

Garcia's fast ball is lacking and he's pitched average. Gordon is a huge trading chip. No way they trade a guy who could net them a whole lot of younger (maybe better) talent for Garcia. Most teams need bull pen help, they know that and should a)hold on to him or b) trade him for 2 decent to very good prospects.

Fields & Heager for cash:

Fields is a very good prospect but he's still a while away, he is haivng a fine season in AA after an ok year last year. Haeger is having a good season but to until this season had never shown he had any command (and he's still walking a healthy bit of people this season) Do these past 123 innings make him that much more attractive, I don't know.

The whole point of trading away Bobby A. was to dump salary, Pods has little worth, Garcia is a risk and they could get talent of close to the same level as Haeger and Fields for Gordon alone. I don't see why they would do this.

batmanZoSo
07-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Oh, my goodness. Freud would have a field day.

Uh, it was a pun. :unsure:

Fixed.

oldcomiskey
07-29-2006, 02:47 PM

well two things wrong with it--one is Gordon has been here before and will be whining about wanting to close all the time. And while I love Abreu this team does not need another power hitter swinging for the fences

oldcomiskey
07-29-2006, 02:51 PM
All the way to what?
3rd place

ZombieRob
07-29-2006, 02:55 PM

Our bullpen is set, our lineup is stacked and balanced, we have 5 good starters. This is it. Perform.

yea ...the sox really showed all those real good teams (Tigers.Twins,Yankees.Red Sox,they have what it takes to go all the way.personally i think we need at least another arm in the rotation .The starters have shown me nothing that they can be consistant.Do you roll the dice and hope Buerhle breaks out of it or Vasquez Throw in Garcia as well before you cant make any deals beside a waiver trade that could get blocked and then your stuck?

ChiSox80
07-29-2006, 03:00 PM

Kenny: "I know you're trading Abreu because you don't want to pay his giant salary. How about giving him to me and paying his salary anyway?"

Gillick: :?:

Kenny: "Hello? Pat, are you there?"

Gillick: "Kenny...Are you drunk dialing me? Where are you? Is Ozzie there? How drunk are you crazy bastards? Man, I wish I were there."

batmanZoSo
07-29-2006, 03:09 PM
yea ...the sox really showed all those real good teams (Tigers.Twins,Yankees.Red Sox,they have what it takes to go all the way.personally i think we need at least another arm in the rotation .The starters have shown me nothing that they can be consistant.Do you roll the dice and hope Buerhle breaks out of it or Vasquez Throw in Garcia as well before you cant make any deals beside a waiver trade that could get blocked and then your stuck?

:rolleyes:

It's called a slump. The Sox could've been playing anyone the last few weeks and they would've stunk it up just as well.

Mohoney
07-29-2006, 03:11 PM
I would trade 2006 Mark Buehrle, cash, and a PTBNL for 2005 Mark Buehrle.

Tragg
07-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Gordon is a huge trading chip. . No he isn't...he's an aging relief pitcher, who's paid a fortune. Teams would view him as a rent...take him for the rest of this year, but figure out how they can get rid of him and that contract for next year. If you had a team that had a super chance at a WS but lacked a closer THEN you might see a haul for Gordon...but not like he'd have hauled 10 years ago.

"wrong" sox fan
07-29-2006, 03:40 PM
No he isn't...he's an aging relief pitcher, who's paid a fortune. Teams would view him as a rent...take him for the rest of this year, but figure out how they can get rid of him and that contract for next year. If you had a team that had a super chance at a WS but lacked a closer THEN you might see a haul for Gordon...but not like he'd have hauled 10 years ago.

he is an againg relief pitcher who happens to be in the first year of a two year contract, thus far he has a 2.25 ERA 25 saves and more ks then innings pitched, he's a huge chip.

The M's once traded Jose Cruz Jr., D. Lowe, and Jason Veritek for two crappy relievers...

Boston once traded Jeff Bagwell for a set up man

Team pay a lot for good arms out of the pen this time of year, while I don't agree with it, Gordon is a huge chip.

"wrong" sox fan
07-29-2006, 03:43 PM
I also said he could get talent around the level of the two prospects listed himself alone...

That is really not an unreasonable statement.

on a side note, ten years ago he was worhtless

White Sox Randy
07-29-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm sur that this trade won't happen but:

1. Philly WILL pay some of Abreu's contract when they trade him just like they paid us a huge amount to take Thome off their hands.

2. Abreu is a better fielder than Pods, he can steal bases as well as Pods, he leads the MAJORS in walks and his OBP is over .400. He has power but doesn't swing for the fences. He is only 2 years older than Pods. I wonder if some on this site only watch the White Sox.

3. Gordon likes KW and would be willing to be a set-up man for Jenks.

4. Abreu is from Venezuela and would love to play for Ozzie.

5. KW has clearly shown interest in Gordon this year. But, I do love MacDOUGAL and are bullpen is ok now. But, with the concern about our starters I would love another big reliever to help take the pressure off.

6. Garcia, Pods and Fields will all probably be traded in the offseason anyway. It's doubtful that we would keep them.