PDA

View Full Version : Noooooooooooooo!

Chisox_cali
02-18-2002, 02:43 AM
From CS.com:

No Wrigley: White Sox head groundskeeper Roger Bossard has been tending to the practice fields at the White Sox complex in Tucson for the last few weeks, but he plans to head back to Chicago in mid-March to begin the planting for the new Comiskey Park batter's eye in center field.

Though an ivy-covered wall will be part of the new look :whiner: , Bossard insisted it won't copy the look of Wrigley Field. Last year Bossard presented Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf with five designs to choose from, and Reinsdorf selected one that will feature 260 bushes shaped like baseballs lining the two-tiered batter's eye. The balls will grow to around 31/2 feet in circumference over the course of the season.

Bossard will oversee the work. The top section of the batter's eye will be a semi-transparent green screen that will allow fans roaming the concourse to see the game without affecting the batter's view. The "greening of Comiskey" is part of the multiphase renovation plan intended to make Comiskey a more fan-friendly ballpark. The Sox are still seeking a corporation to buy naming rights to the park.

I sure hope the "greening of Comiskey" includes the seats

The Whole Article (http://chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,175536,00.html)

Pete_SSAC
02-18-2002, 02:47 AM
<scared>Now, it all depends will this wall will be...</scared>

- Pete

RedPinStripes
02-18-2002, 04:10 AM
Plan on the flubby trolls trying to give us **** about the "greening" of Comiskey. They're always fun for a day or 2, then it gets boring.

doublem23
02-18-2002, 07:17 AM
Dammit. I'm never gonna hear the end of this one.

RedPinStripes
02-18-2002, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Dammit. I'm never gonna hear the end of this one.
Ouch! You're on the north side too.

Jerry_Manuel
02-18-2002, 10:13 AM
Oops, sorry I didn't see you posted this, Cali.

duke of dorwood
02-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Just in-we traded Carlos Lee and Aaron Rowand for Edward Scissorhands and a clipper to be named later.

cheeses_h_rice
02-18-2002, 12:22 PM
Maybe this ivy wall will just serve as a convenient spot for Sox fans to relieve themselves?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-18-2002, 01:06 PM
Personally, I hate the idea of any kind of shrubbery adorning the Sox's playing field. Old Comiskey has been compared to a filthy warehouse and New Comiskey a sterile hospital ward precisely because they had no cutesy-pie nonsense like Wrigley or any of the retro-look monstrosities like Camden, Coors, or Anaheim.

If it was my choice, the batter's eye would be pile of authentic Old Comiskey bricks, painted dark green with about 300 coats of paint. Fans could break off peeling chips and take them home for souvenirs, like the one I have on my bookshelf from the old ballpark. You can see at least 3 different shades of green by studying the edge of that paint chip. It's like an archaeological dig!

Perhaps the brick wall could be topped off with about a dozen public address horn speakers--or perhaps a series of Old Comiskey arched windows for fans to peer through. It would be a great place to stick the Veeckian showerhead, too.

:smile:

If they want to beautify Comiskey, add some greenery along the God-forsaken concrete pedestrian concourse. Right now, it's nothing but acres of Portland cement as far as the eye can see. I feel like I'm passing through an unfinished job site whenever I walk around the outfield at Comiskey.

As for the playing field, the Sox need to make a more obvious effort to tip the cap to their roots at Old Comiskey. The batter's eye is an obvious place to do it.

RedPinStripes
02-18-2002, 01:50 PM
Bring back Jimmy Persol? and put him in CF like the old days . Jeeeezz. He and Hawk would Kill eachother.

Foulke You
02-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Dark Green padding to replace the blue and some friggin retired numbers on the wall a la Old Comiskey would've done just fine for me! Ivy on Comiskey's walls?! Sacrilege!

:reinsy
Don't you foolish Sox fans know that ivy seed is a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing my blue wall? I get seed by the gross for the price of one day's beer vendor salary and I get to ape the hated Cubs' Wrigley Field in the process! It's all about the fiscal responsibility that I must shoulder...sigh!

:nellie
Not that you'd be able to tell but I have just rolled over in my grave!

kermittheefrog
02-18-2002, 02:42 PM
As much as I love the color blue and I do, I've dyed my hair blue. The Comiskey Park blue just isn't right, it makes you think hospital rather than ballpark. I know Yankee Stadium and Skydome and a few other parks are blue but Comsikey's blue is jsut off. I think they should either make it a lighter blue or just make the damn park green.

FarWestChicago
02-18-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
As much as I love the color blue and I do, I've dyed my hair blue. The Comiskey Park blue just isn't right, it makes you think hospital rather than ballpark.I would say that settles it. When a guy with blue hair doesn't like the Comiskey blue, it's gotta go!! :smile:

awesomefan
02-19-2002, 12:53 AM
I like the sky blue color of Comiskey.
I guess they could jazz up the vast areas of concrete in the outfield concourse.
I just really enjoy the fresh air & sunshine...I usually try to go to day games.
Sounds like alot of the new renovations will make things more appealing to people.
It's good for all the ballparks to not have the same color...sounds too boring.
The Cardinals RED is pretty cool.
I just really enjoy the diversity & would love to go to all the ballparks someday like most any big baseball fan.
That swimming pool at the BOB has got to be awesome & to think Mark Grace hit the first ball into the pool for a homerun & he was a Cubbie then...hehehehe...now Mark is a D-Back with a World Series Ring...hehehehe.
I'm lookin' forward to some of the White Sox hittin' a ball into McCovey Cove at Pac Bell Park when they play the Giants on March 31. I doubt if anyone will care about the color of the seats that day.
I just flat out love baseball & all the history & stories.
Blue is a cool color...at least it's not Orange or Pink...OMG...Pink!!!!
If the White Sox are there, that's what really counts to me.