PDA

View Full Version : New Plan for Mr. Buehrle

kevingrt
07-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Interesting article by Sox beat write Mark Gonzales in the Trib today about Buehrle getting the hook in the 5th or 6th. I like the idea have someone in the bullpen waiting instead of not being ready and 2 minutes later it's a big crooked number on the board.

After the jump... http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060728soxbits,1,1835323.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Any comments...

Mohoney
07-29-2006, 01:48 PM
If Buehrle, Garcia, and Vazquez are ALL going to have the short leash, then we're probably going to have to go with 12 pitchers, unless this bullpen can gut it out until September help arrives.

Tragg
07-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Is innings really the problem with MB.

Freddie didn't pitch that bad last night, or so it appeared from the box scores.

Mohoney
07-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Is innings really the problem with MB.

Freddie didn't pitch that bad last night, or so it appeared from the box scores.

Freddie did his job. A little bit of bad defense let him down, too.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 02:07 PM
This strategy works best in hindsight. You just go back in time and pull a pitcher right before he got into trouble. The problem is, it's not always apparent AT THE TIME that he's getting into trouble. Unless you expect perfect games all the time, you can't just pull a pitcher because someone got a hit off him. Look at Javy Vazquez on Monday. He was cruising into the 6th, then gave up a hit to Punto. Are you going to pull a pitcher who looks like he's cruising after just one hit? Not likely. Next he struck out Mauer...things are looking good. Next batter is Cuddyer, who slams a pretty good pitch into the seats. Oops. Why didn't Ozzie pull him BEFORE he got into trouble?

patbooyah
07-29-2006, 02:12 PM
This strategy works best in hindsight. You just go back in time and pull a pitcher right before he got into trouble. The problem is, it's not always apparent AT THE TIME that he's getting into trouble. Unless you expect perfect games all the time, you can't just pull a pitcher because someone got a hit off him. Look at Javy Vazquez on Monday. He was cruising into the 6th, then gave up a hit to Punto. Are you going to pull a pitcher who looks like he's cruising after just one hit? Not likely. Next he struck out Mauer...things are looking good. Next batter is Cuddyer, who slams a pretty good pitch into the seats. Oops. Why didn't Ozzie pull him BEFORE he got into trouble?

you make a good point, but hopefully under his new plan ozzie would pull vazquez after that inning, preventing him from allowing men to reach 2nd and 3rd with no outs.

i think the main thing they will be looking for is how well the pitcher is throwing overall. they might ask AJ: "Is his stuff moving? Is he hitting his spots?" etc etc. I hope.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 02:20 PM
you make a good point, but hopefully under his new plan ozzie would pull vazquez after that inning, preventing him from allowing men to reach 2nd and 3rd with no outs.

i think the main thing they will be looking for is how well the pitcher is throwing overall. they might ask AJ: "Is his stuff moving? Is he hitting his spots?" etc etc. I hope.Exactly. Judging just by results can be misleading because even good pitches get hit sometimes. This is not to say you ignore results altogether, but you have to consider the whole picture. The pitches that Cuddyer and Morneau hit out were good pitches. But I would not have sent Vazquez out for the 7th that day. I'm sure Ozzie was looking at the way he'd been pitching and was trying to give him an opportunity to get on track, but you have to win games. He'd done his job at that point. I'd give Vazquez 6 innings and only send him out for the 7th if they have a lead and he got out of the 6th strong. That wasn't the case on Monday.

kwolf68
07-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Why would Mark be called out, but nary a word about Vazquez, who has NOT EARNED a long leash.

If anyone should be on a short leash it is Vazquez. Buehrle earned his respect (long leash) by virtue of hanging a flag in our yard.

I keep running Buehrle out there as has been the case for the past 5 years...I run him and don't worry with him until he fails (and he has a lot lately). I surely don't "mention" his failures in the media...while being totally silent on a proven meltdown artist.

Buehrle's present struggles are an anomaly and one would think he will turn it around. Vazquez is just doing what he has always done. Whatever...

samram
07-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Why would Mark be called out, but nary a word about Vazquez, who has NOT EARNED a long leash.

If anyone should be on a short leash it is Vazquez. Buehrle earned his respect (long leash) by virtue of hanging a flag in our yard.

I keep running Buehrle out there as has been the case for the past 5 years...I run him and don't worry with him until he fails (and he has a lot lately). I surely don't "mention" his failures in the media...while being totally silent on a proven meltdown artist.

Buehrle's present struggles are an anomaly and one would think he will turn it around. Vazquez is just doing what he has always done. Whatever...

I think Ozzie already said Javy's coming out after five.