PDA

View Full Version : Buster Olney: Coco offered to White Sox, KW says "nty" (Rejected)

Mr. White Sox
07-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Olney on Baseball Tonight:

Supposedly the Red Sox offered Coco Crisp for "A White Sox Major League Pitcher", and it was turned down.

All speculative, but I wonder who the Red Sox wanted? Garland? McCarthy?

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 12:56 AM

Supposedly the Red Sox offered Coco Crisp for "A White Sox Major League Pitcher", and it was turned down.

All speculative, but I wonder who the Red Sox wanted? Garland? McCarthy?David Riske?

Mr. White Sox
07-29-2006, 12:57 AM
David Riske?

No, but they did offer Javier Lopez back for Riske.
Theo reportedly yelled "Yo Kenny I made a booboo, take Javy back! Or wait, we'll do a Javy for Javy trade! You pick one of my Javy's, and I'll take one of yours!"

MrX
07-29-2006, 01:14 AM
The BA haters are going to go through the roof when they read that.

I anxiously await them making Coco Crisp out to be the next Willie Mays

JermaineDye05
07-29-2006, 01:16 AM
Coco would have been a nice addition to the bench but if the red sox asked for a ML pitcher, hell even a minor league pitcher, no way

DaleJRFan
07-29-2006, 01:17 AM
Coco Crisp in a Sox uni is awfully tempting, but for a "major league pitcher"??? Give me a break. Unless they mean Augustin Montero, I am grad KW told them to get bent.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 01:21 AM
Methinks Buster has been hitting the acid again. Who would play CF for the Red Sox if they traded Crisp? Wily Mo? I doubt very much that Theo would put all his eggs in that basket. They may be desperate for starting pitching, but when you're in first place and trying to hang on, you don't create a hole to fill another one. There are other teams who would give them a starting pitcher for just prospects.

Domeshot17
07-29-2006, 01:25 AM
my guess is with Coco playing well but not really factoring as a key to their O, they would put Stern back in the Center Fied. The Pitching is more important then losing an a good, yet not relied upon bat.

TDog
07-29-2006, 01:28 AM
Coco Crisp in a Sox uni is awfully tempting, but for a "major league pitcher"??? Give me a break. Unless they mean Augustin Montero, I am grad KW told them to get bent.

Like the White Sox need a player in uniform who doesn't have enough respect to wear it properly.

Farmer would go nuts.

MrX
07-29-2006, 01:32 AM
my guess is with Coco playing well but not really factoring as a key to their O, they would put Stern back in the Center Fied. The Pitching is more important then losing an a good, yet not relied upon bat.

:weewillie
"Don't forget me"

Domeshot17
07-29-2006, 01:37 AM
"Don't forget me"

IIRC You got DFA a week ago.

MrX
07-29-2006, 01:43 AM
IIRC You got DFA a week ago.
:weewillie:
"I'm in Pawtucket waiting for Theo to call me up"

getonbckthr
07-29-2006, 01:54 AM
Hey Bafia Call me sweetheart!!!

Chisox003
07-29-2006, 01:56 AM
In all seriousness....where would he play?

CF he'd take away more defensively than Mack does

No thanks, not what we need. Good ballplayer though.

Domeshot17
07-29-2006, 01:58 AM
Crisp is a great defender. He reads balls very well and has great recovery speed. Mack doesnt do either, if we could get him for pods and vaz, I would do it in a heart beat.

Erik The Red
07-29-2006, 02:02 AM
Crisp is a great defender. He reads balls very well and has great recovery speed. Mack doesnt do either, if we could get him for pods and vaz, I would do it in a heart beat.
:bong:

Step away, slowly.

Chisox003
07-29-2006, 02:06 AM
He also throws like his arm is made of cheese.

Tragg
07-29-2006, 02:07 AM

All speculative, but I wonder who the Red Sox wanted? Garland? McCarthy? And we rightly laughed them out of the room - trade Garland or McCarthy for crisp ....please. Crisp isn't hitting a lick this year either. That would be like a rent, because he doesn't do anything for us long term. Anderson's our CF, Crisp isnt' near a good enough hitter to hit lead-off and if he can't do that, he certainly would be an offensive liability at any OF corner position.
He'd be a nice 4th outfielder....Boston gave a top prospect for him...with the year he's having, he's worth a medium prospect - no way should Boston get anything close to what they paid for him.

Trade pods (our lead off hitter) and Vaz for a 4th outfielder quality player and leaving us without a lead-off hitter? Come on.

Domeshot17
07-29-2006, 02:20 AM
I didnt realize Crisp was having that big of a step down from last year. I just remember him as one of those guys who you hated to be playing against because he would always find a way to get you.

Domeshot17
07-29-2006, 02:20 AM
EDIT: Laptop/Internet is being stupid. duplicate post, feel free to delete

The Dude
07-29-2006, 08:01 AM
:bong:

Step away, slowly.

Damn, I actually had to read what nonsense he said cause ya quoted him! Damn! Damn! Damn!:angry:

Coco is a good player but wouldn't fill any needs.

caulfield12
07-29-2006, 08:13 AM
White Sox 44-14 when Pods gets a hit...

Pretty indicative statistic.

WMG
07-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Ozzie would love to platoon coco, pods and anderson.... give JD a dayoff every 10 and you would see pods and anderson just as much as you do now. I think he would be a fantastic addition.

If it were for Freddy and maybe javier I would do it.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2006, 09:50 AM
He's OPSing .721...NO THANK YOU

caulfield12
07-29-2006, 10:28 AM
I know he got ONE hit to break out of his 1 for 19 slide, but I think Pods actually needs to play more often...it's not going to help if we add Crisp, because nobody would get consistent at-bats

Tragg
07-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Ozzie would love to platoon coco, pods and anderson.... give JD a dayoff every 10 and you would see pods and anderson just as much as you do now. I think he would be a fantastic addition.

If it were for Freddy and maybe javier I would do it. A starting pitcher for a 4th/platoon outfielder who's having a terrible year, and who doesn't fit into long-term plans? Rob M hits okay and if his D is that bad, we probably could get a better outfielder FOR a utility guy like Rob M.

We should keep Javy anyway...selling low and buying high is no way to prosperity.

caulfield12
07-29-2006, 11:03 AM
Tell that to Billy Beane, he's getting hit in the worst way with the Loiaza signing...and now he has to watch the Angels and Rangers make moves as well. Does he move Zito?

You have to think the Angels are the prohibitive favorites, although the Colon issue raises some question marks if he doesn't come back.

Rangers, as usual, are one starting pitcher away from being competitive.

Jjav829
07-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Methinks Buster has been hitting the acid again. Who would play CF for the Red Sox if they traded Crisp? Wily Mo? I doubt very much that Theo would put all his eggs in that basket. They may be desperate for starting pitching, but when you're in first place and trying to hang on, you don't create a hole to fill another one. There are other teams who would give them a starting pitcher for just prospects.

The Boston Herland backs up Olney's report.

In order to add another starter to the rotation for the remainder of this season and possibly beyond, the Red Sox (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox.bg) are making two-thirds of their starting outfield - center fielder Coco Crisp (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Coco+Crisp&mode=all&sorting=pubdate) and right fielder Trot Nixon (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?keyword=Trot+Nixon&searchSite=recent) - available to other teams while also making it clear that young pitchers Jonathan Papelbon (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Jonathan+Papelbon&mode=all&sorting=pubdate), Jon Lester (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Jon+Lester&mode=all&sorting=pubdate), Craig Hansen (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?keyword=Craig+Hansen&searchSite=recent) and Manny Delcarmen (http://www.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Manny+Delcarmen&mode=score&sorting=pubdate) are not going anywhere.

And this may very well be the same trade Olney reported:

A major league source yesterday said the Red Sox had recently made a concrete offer that included Crisp to another team for a starter.

Link (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=150444)

Tragg
07-29-2006, 11:37 AM
The Boston Herland backs up Olney's report.

Well, that makes sense. Keep all the pitching they have, and try to get more by trading two nothing-special outfielders. Doubt anyone bites on that, but no harm in trying.

peeonwrigley
07-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Well, that makes sense. Keep all the pitching they have, and try to get more by trading two nothing-special outfielders. Doubt anyone bites on that, but no harm in trying.

Maybe they thought KW was ready to put McCarthy into the rotation. I'm assuming they wanted Freddy or Garland, in which case I assume Kenny laughed, then said "wait, you're serious?"

A. Cavatica
07-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Could the Red Sox be interested in Vazquez? They were in the past, and statistical analysis makes Vaz look better than he is. As an East Coast team, Vaz would be interested in Boston.

Boston is down on Crisp and would probably move him for relatively little. Other players the Red Sox want to dump: Clement, Foulke.

patbooyah
07-29-2006, 03:35 PM
http://rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
According to the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes, the White Sox turned down Boston's offer of Coco Crisp for Mark Buehrle.
Buehrle is struggling, but the White Sox are too confident he'll turn it around to give him up for a center field upgrade. We also doubt they'd trade Brandon McCarthy for Crisp. Javier Vazquez, Jon Garland or Freddy Garcia maybe, but the Red Sox probably only have limited interest in that bunch. Jul. 29 - 3:20 pm et

White Sox Randy
07-29-2006, 03:36 PM
The only starter or starting pitcher on the White Sox that I would consider trading for Crisp would be Pods.

Crede_Fan
07-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Buehrle for Crisp, are they nuts!:rolleyes:

patbooyah
07-29-2006, 03:43 PM

i know. that's almost as crazy as the sox trading mccarthy and fields for two months of soriano.

what are these teams thinking?

whitesoxfan
07-29-2006, 03:47 PM
That has to be the biggest joke of a "trade" that I have heard.

caulfield12
07-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Even funnier that Garland's name would be included, and that they would think it was somehow a bad trade to get Garland for Crisp, lol.

CLR01
07-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Kenny is lucky he didn't end up giving Boston McCarthy, Jenks and Contreras. I hear Theo is well schooled in Billy Beane mind control.

MarySwiss
07-29-2006, 04:09 PM
If Boston does make a trade to pick up another pitcher, I hope it's someone from the NL. I would love to see Coco Crispy and Trot Nixon out of the AL.

BeviBall!
07-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Theo can't be that stupid, can he? That is LaMar like.

CLR01
07-29-2006, 04:17 PM
According to the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes, the White Sox turned down Boston's offer of Coco Crisp for Mark Buehrle.
Buehrle is struggling, but the White Sox are too confident he'll turn it around to give him up for a center field upgrade. We also doubt they'd trade Brandon McCarthy for Crisp. Javier Vazquez, Jon Garland or Freddy Garcia maybe, but the Red Sox probably only have limited interest in that bunch. Jul. 29 - 3:20 pm ethttp://rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif

:rolling:

Theo you poor soul. I guess when you hear the tools at ESPN kissing your ass everyday you start to believe the hype and think you can do anything.

Tragg
07-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Could the Red Sox be interested in Vazquez? They were in the past, and statistical analysis makes Vaz look better than he is. .

Then why did we give up so much for him? Face it, he isn't pitching any worse this year than he did for the last 2, overall.
Anyway, we don't need Crisp, and I wouldn't trade Vasquez with his market value at such low ebb. I still say switch he and McCarthy and see how he does in the pen.

A. Cavatica
07-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Buehrle for Crisp is ridiculous.

Buehrle for Crisp and Lester, doubtful.

Mr. White Sox
07-29-2006, 04:23 PM
:rolling:

Theo you poor soul. I guess when you hear the tools at ESPN kissing your ass everyday you start to believe the hype and think you can do anything.

:KW:
"Wait, so I'm allowed to not get ripped off? Cool, because I almost pulled the trigger on that."

I can't believe they wanted BUEHRLE. That is absurd.

ChiSox80
07-29-2006, 04:36 PM
I just love GM phone conversations.

Theo: Kenny. Give me Buehrle. I want me some Buehrle.

Kenny: Offer away, kiddo.

Theo: Coco Crisp.

Kenny: We could probably work something out there. Like...A full box? What's the toy in the bottom of it?

Theo: Um. The player, man.

Kenny: I know. You're a retard or something, Theo.

Theo: Awww, man! You totally psyched me out! You ****!

Mr. White Sox
07-29-2006, 04:40 PM
funnyish, but you should edit that. A certain word in particular.

ChiSox80
07-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Anything that gets through a language filter is not worth changing.

CLR01
07-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Anything that gets through a language filter is not worth changing.

Umm wrong. You had a chance...see you in a few days.

Brian26
07-29-2006, 09:15 PM

That's absolutely insane. Talk about having a completely inflated value of self-worth....

How about if they trade us Beckett for Cintron?

Ziggy S
07-29-2006, 09:45 PM
How about if they trade us Beckett for Cintron?-Brian 26

I've got a great idea. How about we deal Ozuna and Vazquez for Lester?

JermaineDye05
07-29-2006, 10:11 PM
LMAO Coco Crisp for MB, per BBTN, wow they had to be asking in teal

buehrle4cy05
07-29-2006, 10:13 PM
LMAO Coco Crisp for MB, per BBTN, wow they had to be asking in teal

That might be the most ridiculous trade proposal of the year.

MarkyBear
07-29-2006, 10:14 PM
I suppose it's safe to say KW wasn't Coo-Coo for CoCo then!? :tongue:

ShoelessJoeS
07-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Just heard them talk about this on BBTN....what the hell was Theo even thinking? I hope that was a joke.

TomParrish79
07-29-2006, 10:45 PM
i mean thats just arrogance on Boston's part to think that we would trade Buehrle for Coco Crisp...even with Buehrle's recent slump he is still 10 times more valuable than Crisp

beckett21
07-29-2006, 10:52 PM
How about if they trade us Beckett for Cintron?

I think that some folks around here would think that the Sox were getting the raw end of that deal. :redneck

(Not me of course :D:)

zmz723
07-29-2006, 11:59 PM
I've got a great idea. How about we deal Ozuna and Vazquez for Lester?
:tealtutor:

NonetheLoaiza
07-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Just heard them talk about this on BBTN....what the hell was Theo even thinking? I hope that was a joke.

It reminds me of a fantasy baseball trade. Mark isn't doing well lately, so let's try and get him, because the White Sox will be more willing to trade him now. Then Mark will be good again, and Boston will win ERA, WHIP, and Wins next week.

35th&Shields
07-30-2006, 03:16 PM
According to the Chicago Tribune the Boston Globe reported that the Red Sox offered center fielder Coco Crisp to the White Sox for Mark Buehrle last week, but the White Sox turned the deal down.

I'm glad the White Sox didn't make that trade. Buehrle's going to get it together and we're going to need him in October.

cbotnyse
07-30-2006, 03:21 PM
:KW
":tsk: :whatever:"

WSox597
07-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Boston gets credit for guts, anyway. KW would have to be brain-dead to take that deal. And he's not brain-dead.

ESPN would've loved that one, wouldn't they?

Xx i am error xX
07-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Even though the words "we're done dealing" have come out of our GM's mouth, reports like this still make me uneasy. I can't wait for Monday to be over. This trade would be ridiculous, and I hate Crisp, even if he is a good ball player. The amount of back-pedaling I'd have to do on all of the Crisp trash-talking I've done over the years would be ridiculous...... Thank you for turning this down, Kenny.

whitesoxfan
07-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Even though the words "we're done dealing" have come out of our GM's mouth, reports like this still make me uneasy. I can't wait for Monday to be over. This trade would be ridiculous, and I hate Crisp, even if he is a good ball player. The amount of back-pedaling I'd have to do on all of the Crisp trash-talking I've done over the years would be ridiculous...... Thank you for turning this down, Kenny.

These last few years, with so many teams still in postseason races, the worrying isn't really done until August 31st when the waiver deadline occurs.

kwolf68
07-30-2006, 05:15 PM
The only way a team could get Buehrle would be to offer us one major leaguer ready player and TWO top prospects above A ball.

Then and only then could we consider trading one of the most solid lefties in the game. He's in a funk now, but everyone knows he'll get it together...