PDA

View Full Version : Brewers/Phillies Deal

getonbckthr
07-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Brewers get 3B David Bell for Pitcher Wilfrido Laureano.

DSpivack
07-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Why would anybody want David Bell?

SABRSox
07-28-2006, 11:22 PM

The Miller Park DJ found an original 8-track of Anita Ward's "Ring My Bell" at some flea market, and he just had to have David Bell so he could play it.

Someone failed to tell him that Miller Park isn't set up for 8-track though.

Seriously, this is the only possible explination.

soxfanreggie
07-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Definitely got a chuckle out of it...only a chuckle though.

buehrle4cy05
07-29-2006, 12:30 AM
Let me get this straight...the Brewers, who just traded their franchise player, now trade for a washed up third baseman for the playoff drive? This moves makes no sense.

FedEx227
07-29-2006, 02:35 AM
Let me get this straight...the Brewers, who just traded their franchise player, now trade for a washed up third baseman for the playoff drive? This moves makes no sense.

Long story short, there is no playoff drive.

This deal makes no sense, they just recently traded for Graf, they already have Cirillo there. The only logical thing to do is to add another old washed up veteran. Ugh. The Brewers can't even give up right.

fquaye149
07-29-2006, 07:30 AM

oh gmamfb. a player has to be willing to sign a contract with a team in order to be considered its "franchise player".

that said, I don't really understand this move unless it's part of the predicted "next move" of the Carlos Lee trade.

Tragg
07-29-2006, 08:57 AM
The Brewers and Padres are having a race as to which can amass more mediocre third-basemen.

I'm not sure how much that Lee deal really helped the Brewers. Mench is a solid player, but nothing great; he's the type of player you'd live with if you had top hitters around him, and if you didn't, you'll constantly look to upgrade. I'd have gone after young pitching.

PaleHoseRon
07-29-2006, 11:28 AM

Brewers lost:

J.J. Hardy (starting ss) Out for year
Rickie Weeks (starting 2b) On DL with wrist injury maybe for year
Corey Koskie (starting 3b) On DL with dizziness

Added:

Tony Graffanino (2b)
David Bell (3b)

Still have:

Bill Hall (ss/2b/3b/of

This was mainly a depth chart move.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-29-2006, 02:55 PM
I read somewhere that they acquired him to help add defense. But after looking at his stats, he's got to be the worst defensive 3B out there.