PDA

View Full Version : Braves - Dodgers trade official

getonbckthr
07-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Betemit for Aybar and Baez. I know Atlanta feels they need RP but isn't Betemit supposed to be a can't miss future superstar who is performing well right now. I guess LA got their 3rd basemen.

DSpivack
07-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Didn't see a thread, just on baseball tonight

Atlanta 3B Wilson Betemit to Dodgers for RP Danys Baez and Minor Leaguer Willy Aybar

EDIT: Getonbckthr beat me by a minute! Please merge.

dcb56
07-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Didn't see a thread, just on baseball tonight

Atlanta 3B Wilson Betemit to Dodgers for RP Danys Baez and Minor Leaguer Willy Aybar

EDIT: Getonbckthr beat me by a minute! Please merge.

Thanks for posting, I was so distracted by Tino Martinez's hideous outfit that I missed the particulars of the trade.

Randar68
07-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Betemit for Aybar and Baez. I know Atlanta feels they need RP but isn't Betemit supposed to be a can't miss future superstar who is performing well right now. I guess LA got their 3rd basemen.

Betemit is too old to still be a "prospect". If Atlanta had dealt for all this bullpen help in February, they'd probably be leading their division (or at least the Wild Card) right now.

VivaOzzie
07-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks for posting, I was so distracted by Tino Martinez's hideous outfit that I missed the particulars of the trade.

I was too distracted by the way Tino Martinez was trying to talk. Please don't tell me that's who they fired Harold Reynolds for. Brutal!

DSpivack
07-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Betemit is too old to still be a "prospect". If Atlanta had dealt for all this bullpen help in February, they'd probably be leading their division (or at least the Wild Card) right now.

Still, they are certainly close enough to still be in it. Aybar is a decent 3B, too, no? Doesn't sound like a bad trade for Atlanta. Betemit was having a good season, but with Chipper and Renteria blocking him, not many places to play him (although 2B Marcus Giles hasn't done well this year). As for the Dodgers, seems they swap one decent utilityman/backup for another.

caulfield12
07-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Three years ago, Betemit was can't miss....now he's a serviceable major leaguer, but certainly not a budding superstar.

Domeshot17
07-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Three years ago, Betemit was can't miss....now he's a serviceable major leaguer, but certainly not a budding superstar.

funny how that works, 3 years ago he was a cant miss, I guess 3 years later he missed. I really like Aybar, great deal for the Braves

SABRSox
07-29-2006, 01:38 AM
I really like what Atlanta is doing. They might just sneak up and grab the Wild Card.

Tragg
07-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Atlanta might have gotten the better of it just trading Betemit for Aybar. Well, probably not, but not a huge difference there.

They've gotten two relievers relatively cheap...albeit veterans who aren't all that reliable.