PDA

View Full Version : Still Angry PHG?

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2001, 09:59 PM
Just got done reading the game recap and you still seem pissed at Manuel. I can't say that I blame you but I would have thought that after cutting the grass in that heat that would have drained some of your energy, but no you were firing!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2001, 10:12 PM
I can't say that I blame you but I would have thought that after cutting the grass in that heat that would have drained some of your energy, but no you were firing!

Yeah, but now I'm smiling about it.

:)

It's still a bit early to say for sure, but I believe my own opinion of Manuel has been fundamentally changed by today's game. Whereas before I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, now I believe he's guilty until proven innocent. He has made too many controversial moves for me to think he really has a clue anymore.

I agree with Tragg's assessment from earlier today. Jerry doesn't have as much talent to work with as he should. I'm not calling for Jerry to be fired either. I just feel he has shown himself to be of very average skill managing the intricacies of this roster. He was much better off last year when the line up was essentially set and everyone knew their role by the third week in April.

The scary thing is, Jerry doesn't see it that way. He's made numerous comments suggesting he would juggle his line up like this all over again if given the chance. I don't hear any apologies coming from the general manager either. That's REALLY SCARY! He's the one who created this train wreck.

The most positive thing to come out of this season is the development of the young pitchers and a nice extended period to evaluate some of the top prospects before the season ends. At least we'll have an idea what the needs are for the 2002 season.

April is a long way away!

FarWestChicago
07-29-2001, 10:12 PM
The TBGR looked right on the money to me.

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2001, 10:34 PM
The TBGR looked right on the money to me.

I never said it wasn't just saying he was ripping anything that moved!:)

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2001, 10:35 PM
The most positive thing to come out of this season is the development of the young pitchers and a nice extended period to evaluate some of the top prospects before the season ends. At least we'll have an idea what the needs are for the 2002 season.

But do you think we will FILL those needs?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2001, 10:40 PM
But do you think we will FILL those needs?

84 years of experience says "not a chance!"

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2001, 10:45 PM
84 years of experience says "not a chance!"

So your saying that Durham will be our leadoff hitter next year.
Well lets hope with Frank back he gets back to his old self.

ode to veeck
07-29-2001, 11:10 PM
At least we'll have an idea what the needs are for the 2002 season.

The only problem is JM and KW won't.

Tragg
07-29-2001, 11:16 PM
"I agree with Tragg's assessment from earlier today. Jerry doesn't have as much talent to work with as he should"

Thank you, but as you and others have said, he doesn't use what he has wisely. No one makes manuel starting singleton; no one makes manuel refuse to use pinch hitters, e.g..

I'm like you - before today, I knew that manuel was an average on strategy, but i thought the good outweighed the bad. My scales are teetering the other way.

doublem23
07-30-2001, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I never said it wasn't just saying he was ripping anything that moved!

Can't blame him after today's game.

Mathew
07-30-2001, 03:04 AM
This team has a lot of players who would even be bad if they were on bad teams. Ex. Even the worst teams in the league have a first baseman who ban hit, we don't. Most teams have someone with speed on the bench or for that matter in the line up we don't. Hitting 25Hrs is no damn excuse for striking out 100+ times and hitting 5Hrs certainly isn't either! Even though I hate seeing the pitchers bat I like the fact that in the N.L. everyone has a role and depth is an advantage not a liability.(not that we have any useful depth) You can have everyone play without starting new people every day like 10 yr old little leaguers. That opportunity is afforded to A.L. teams but few espcially us have that kind of manager. My coach benched our worst players in little league when I was 12 and we won. I learnt then that was how to win. Jerry Manuel has yet to learn?

Bmr31
07-30-2001, 11:37 AM
phg you may not be ready to say it, but i am. Jerry needs to be fired. Hes AWFUL. He comes up with the dumbest lineups. Lets see you know youre likely going to be in a low scoring game, and you throw a butcher out there at 3b? What is his facination with liefer? Has he not realized that liefer sucks? Yeah, lets put him in at 3rd!

Jerry_Manuel
07-30-2001, 11:45 AM
Jerry needs to be fired

He won't be fired.

Paulwny
07-30-2001, 11:57 AM
Once Again, the Felipe Alou philosphy "play everyone, the players will love you".