PDA

View Full Version : Gourriel defects

rowand33
07-28-2006, 07:07 PM
from rotoworld:

According to Dominican newspaper El Nacional, Cuban players Yuliesky Gourriel and Eduardo Paret may have defected and asked for asylum in Columbia.
If Gourriel and Japanese right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka become available, it's going to be a very interesting offseason. Gourriel, who turned 22 in June, looked like Cuba's most talented player while hitting .273/.342/.515 in 33 at-bats in the WBC. Should he become a free agent, he'd likely be a regular at third or second for some team next year. The Yankees would surely be interested even though they're pretty well set at both positions. Paret, who was Cuba's shortstop in the tournament, would be less attractive to teams since he turns 34 in October. Jul. 28 - 6:14 pm et
Source: El Nacional (http://www.elnacional.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=59855)

this guy was amazing at the WBC. whoever gets him is really, really lucky.

getonbckthr
07-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Doesn't Iguchi's contract expire at the end of the season? Plus we have Jose who can convince him to come here.

Mr. White Sox
07-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Doesn't Iguchi's contract expire at the end of the season? Plus we have Jose who can convince him to come here.

We don't have a Boss that's going to give this kid $6,000,000 a year over four years, though.

DSpivack
07-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Is Paret any good?

JorgeFabregas
07-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Gourriel looked absolutely dangerous in the WBC. Had a lot of swagger.

rowand33
07-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Gourriel looked absolutely dangerous in the WBC. Had a lot of swagger.

Gourriel was amazing in the WBC. I couldn't stop talking about him.

If he came to the majors, I feel that he'd be ARod/Pujols like.

getonbckthr
07-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Gourriel was amazing in the WBC. I couldn't stop talking about him.

If he came to the majors, I feel that he'd be ARod/Pujols like.
If there is any truth to this KW and JR should throw some money at him take a chance.

Mr. White Sox
07-28-2006, 11:23 PM
You know who else looked like A-Rod/Pujols during the WBC?

Adrian Beltre.

Take WBC stats with a grain of salt.

SABRSox
07-29-2006, 12:23 AM

There's a club option, I believe. And why would we want to give up an elite 2B for an unproven Cuban player?

SABRSox
07-29-2006, 12:24 AM

Adrian Beltre.

Too bad the Mariners lack your foresight. :cool:

rowand33
07-29-2006, 12:26 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/060302wbccuba3b.html

"That kid is something special," said John Kazanas, an area scout for the White Sox who saw Gourriel in the 2004 Olympics, when Kazanas was the Greek teamís coach. "Heís got such quick wrists, itís like a knife through butter, and thereís no butter on the knife.

For me, heís a No. 1 guy, and heís a power hitter who fits the third base profile," said a scout with extensive international experience. "I think heís a championship-caliber third baseman in the big leagues. He doesnít have a weakness.

JorgeFabregas
07-29-2006, 01:13 AM
I did some research and came up with this:
http://www.plenglish.com/article.asp?ID=%7B4642681D-0A3A-41EF-80DF-6D783F667500%7D&language=EN
which indicates that he was back in Cuba after the Central American and Carribean games in Colombia. Of course, the source is his mother and she may be covering for him in some way. It's apparent that this is a leftist news source and it's funny that such a thing might affect their sports coverage, but it might. Doesn't mean that they're wrong, though.

getonbckthr
07-29-2006, 01:38 AM
There's a club option, I believe. And why would we want to give up an elite 2B for an unproven Cuban player?
Elite? I don't think so. Iguchi isn't exempt from blame because he has an inflated set of offensive stats from 2 big games, and because of the play he made at the beginning of the season. Not to mention Iguchi isn't exactly young either.

SABRSox
07-29-2006, 02:34 AM
Elite? I don't think so. Iguchi isn't exempt from blame because he has an inflated set of offensive stats from 2 big games, and because of the play he made at the beginning of the season. Not to mention Iguchi isn't exactly young either.
Not elite? You're crazy. I'll try to name 5 better 2B:

Chase Utley
Brian Roberts
Jose Lopez (maybe)
Rickie Weeks (eventually, not yet though)

If I stretch, I could make a case for Placido Polanco, but the point is I can't even name 5 that are better.

KRS1
07-29-2006, 02:48 AM
from rotoworld:

According to Dominican newspaper El Nacional, Cuban players Yuliesky Gourriel and Eduardo Paret may have defected and asked for asylum in Columbia.

Columbia, Missouri? Or Colombia, South America? :tongue:

Anyway, he looked very good from what I saw in the WBC, and I certainly wouldnt mind seeing if he could play SS or LF(no I dont want to replace Juan, just curious if he could play there because he looked to have a cannon for an arm and excellent range). There are tons of teams who could use him more than we could, but the few who can pay him better really dont need him(well the scrubs could use anybody, and the Cards could use an upgrade at 2b). Im sure it would be a tough transition to LF, as it seems to be for any 2-bagger nowadays, but he has everything going for him in the athleticism department, and is at an age where he can still pick it up and progress there. Time cures everything at the easiest position on the field(IMO), as far as getting reads and jumps on balls, you can even see Pablo looks a hundred times more steady/confident out there than he did three months ago.

I was surprised he didnt try and seek asylum during the WBC, but I guess the family safety issue would have been on his mind the whole way.

JorgeFabregas
07-29-2006, 02:56 AM
Uggla is a big omission from your list. Ray Durham is having a nice year.

KRS1
07-29-2006, 03:12 AM
Not elite? You're crazy. I'll try to name 5 better 2B:

Chase Utley
Brian Roberts
Jose Lopez (maybe)
Rickie Weeks (eventually, not yet though)

If I stretch, I could make a case for Placido Polanco, but the point is I can't even name 5 that are better.
Roberts is having a terrible year, and even with him coming off a bad elbow injury, I dont see him better than Gooch(right now). Lopez was downright terrible before this season, but he is young and looks to be the type that finally adjust after 1000 ABs, either way his current season is still the exception despite age. You had Weeks down right. Utley=stud, and is definitely better. Freddie Sanchez is a 3b/2b, and is tearing it up, but is the same as Lopez as far as consistency. Loretta's good, but I'll take Gooch easily. Cantu was looking to be a stud before this season. Kinsler is as good as advertised, but is too fresh to be considered elite, or better than Gooch. Uggla=see Lopez and Sanchez, Ill believe it when I see more of it. Giles is having a tough season, but I still think he is an elite player, yes better than Gooch. Brandon Phillps, yeah right. Biggio, all time great, but not anymore, still he's an elite second baseman(Id rather have Gooch). Orlando Hudson is a damn good player, tough call. Kent, see Biggio, easy call to take Gooch now. Josh Barfield looks very good even though hasnt played well at all at spacious PetCo, but it's too early to tell with him just like Lopez and Sanchez(Sanchez is practically a full time 3b, so I might as well stop mentioning him). Ray Durham, see Biggio/Kent.

So I went through everyone worth looking at, if I missed any feel free to critique, but even without overrating Gooch, I dont see many guys Id rather have over him. A lot of youngens who look ready to step into the next level, but until they do it for more than a season, I'll pass.

I missed Jose Vidro, who is definitely one of the best at his position, another tough call.

SABRSox
07-29-2006, 04:41 AM
KRS, I'd pretty much agree with that. Not Marcus Giles though, terrible defensively. While Iguchi may not be the most hyped out there, it is damn hard to find his combination of offense and defense. I'd take him over everybody, save Utley and maybe Weeks in a year or two.

KRS1
07-29-2006, 05:01 AM
KRS, I'd pretty much agree with that. Not Marcus Giles though, terrible defensively.

Well, I probably havent watched enough Braves baseball to be sure, but I havent seen terrible out of him defensively. His range factor and fielding%, and basically all other D stat categories are better than Tads, so based upon that he cant be a huge let down there. Again I really dont know about his D, what exactly does he do poorly there?

caulfield12
07-29-2006, 08:10 AM
Robinson Cano

Wigginton, Freel and DeRosa are also up there statistically, although they are not "pure" 2B and play all over the field.

Jose Vidro would get some votes as well...although he's had some injuries. Two or three years ago, the consensus was probably Vidro.

areilly
07-29-2006, 09:23 AM

Adrian Beltre.

You want misleading WBC stats? Our very own Javier Vazquez posted a tournament ERA of 2.25!