PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Lee Rejects Brewers Offer

DaleJRFan
07-28-2006, 12:47 AM
looks like he won't be a Brewer much longer....

All-Star left fielder Carlos Lee rejected a four-year, $48 million contract offer from the Brewers on Thursday, dramatically increasing the chances that he will be traded before Monday's non-waiver deadline, major-league sources tell FOXSports.com.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5822932

Mr. White Sox
07-28-2006, 12:51 AM
that's a pretty good deal considering he's getting older, but I could see some team giving him $52 over four years in the offseason.

MUsoxfan
07-28-2006, 01:05 AM
He's an ass. That's a great deal from a team that's doing good things. I wish him nothing but horrible luck if he doesn't sign with the Brewers. He's dead to me

palehozenychicty
07-28-2006, 01:15 AM
Mr. Carlos lee, the crowdbaiter. He'll get a contract similar to Konerko, but he's hardly worth it.

HITMEN OF 77
07-28-2006, 01:19 AM
He's an ass. That's a great deal from a team that's doing good things. I wish him nothing but horrible luck if he doesn't sign with the Brewers. He's dead to me

I couldn't have said it better myself.

getonbckthr
07-28-2006, 01:20 AM
Thats a horrible offer from Milwaukee. Thats 12 million a year for a guy driving in 100+ runs with 35-40 + hrs, steals some bases as well. Considering what the market will give him 12 million is a bad offer.

kittle42
07-28-2006, 02:09 AM
Thats a horrible offer from Milwaukee. Thats 12 million a year for a guy driving in 100+ runs with 35-40 + hrs, steals some bases as well. Considering what the market will give him 12 million is a bad offer.

Shh! The Brewers are the "good guys" so it would only be right of him to stay there without testing the market where he could undoubtedly get more.

MUsoxfan
07-28-2006, 02:15 AM

PK got 12 per year. Are you suggesting that Carlos is that much more of a superior player?

kevingrt
07-28-2006, 02:31 AM
PK got 12 per year. Are you suggesting that Carlos is that much more of a superior player?

I don't much understand that prior post either MUsoxfan.

StillMissOzzie
07-28-2006, 02:33 AM

I gotta agree with MUsoxfan on this one. PK got $12m/yr for 5 years, so I don't know where El Caballo gets off rejecting this offer. I read the story, but there's no indication whether he wants more $/year or another year on the deal. Good luck, C Lee, but sheesh...

Edit: Before reading this thread, I was thinking he MIGHT get 5 years/$55M, but now, who knows?

SMO
:rolleyes:

getonbckthr
07-28-2006, 02:40 AM
Why shouldn't try to get as much as he can? Also being in the same FA class as Soriano will drive his value because he can realistically ask for similar money to Soriano.

TheOldRoman
07-28-2006, 02:59 AM
Shh! The Brewers are the "good guys" so it would only be right of him to stay there without testing the market where he could undoubtedly get more. :rolleyes:
If he does get more, it will just enforce how much of a value Konerko was with this deal. Arguing that Lee deserves more than Konerko is a asinine. I wouldn't say he will "undoubtedly get more". If he does, it will only be because two dumb teams with money burning holes in their pockets get into bidding (ahem, Baltimore?) and grossly overpay for him.

SpartanSoxFan
07-28-2006, 03:00 AM
Why shouldn't try to get as much as he can? Also being in the same FA class as Soriano will drive his value because he can realistically ask for similar money to Soriano.

I'm sorry, but if you think Carlos Lee should command Alfonso Soriano type money on the FA market, you need to put down the :bong:

Soriano is a perrenial 40/40 threat. Carlos Lee has never come close to hitting 40 home runs in a season, let alone steal 40 bases. *****

ComiskeyBrewer
07-28-2006, 03:04 AM
I'm sorry, but if you think Carlos Lee should command Alfonso Soriano type money on the FA market, you need to put down the :bong:

Soriano is a perrenial 40/40 threat. Carlos Lee has never come close to hitting 40 home runs in a season, let alone steal 40 bases. *****

Carlos isn't worth more than 12M/yr. However he will probably make more this offseason. That's fine. I fully expect Doug Melvin to complete a deal within 24 hours. See ya later Carlos. BTW, here's the Journal Sentinal's take on it.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=477407

MrX
07-28-2006, 03:13 AM
How is that horrible?

Lee's never hit more than 32 home runs in a season and has only driven in over 100 runs twice. His career numbers are almost identical to Konerko.

getonbckthr
07-28-2006, 03:17 AM
I still gotta ask why shouldn't he try to get the most money he can? All Milwaukee did was give a base starting mark at 12 per.

Chisox003
07-28-2006, 03:31 AM
How is that horrible?

Lee's never hit more than 32 home runs in a season and has only driven in over 100 runs twice. His career numbers are almost identical to Konerko.
It's horrible from the viewpoint of Carlos Lee, who will get more than that this offseason.

Geton's not saying that 4/48 is necessarily a bad contract, but to Caballo who wants more and will get more, why would he take that? Would you take considerably less money just to look like a good guy?

Someone is going to make him a very very rich man this winter, and he knows it. Especially if he gets traded to a contender and makes a big impact (See: Beltran in 2004 with the Stros).

TornLabrum
07-28-2006, 09:11 AM
that's a pretty good deal considering he's getting older, but I could see some team giving him $52 over four years in the offseason.

Do you think Lee is really worth thirteen whole dollars a year? :D:

Madvora
07-28-2006, 09:51 AM
It might not be the offer. He could just be looking for a new team. He might accept the same offer somewhere else. Remember that Carlos was traded there, he didn't pick the Brewers.
This is his first shot at getting out there and seeing who wants him. Nothing strange about that at all.

07-28-2006, 10:14 AM
How is that horrible?

I agree it was a fair offer, but he had 99 RBI's in 2004, that about as close to 100 as you can get, and will hit in 100 this year, so basically, he will have 4 100 RBI's Seasons on his resume

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2006, 10:31 AM
I agree it was a fair offer, but he had 99 RBI's in 2004, that about as close to 100 as you can get, and will hit in 100 this year, so basically, he will have 4 100 RBI's Seasons on his resume100 RBI isn't all that much for a middle of the order hitter. Joe Crede will come close to 100 RBI this year hitting 7th. There are a lot of much cheaper players capable of 100 RBI in that spot. If some dopey GM offers him more than 4/48, it's their loss.

Chicken Dinner
07-28-2006, 10:49 AM
The sausage races must be wearing on him.

Pequod
07-28-2006, 11:17 AM
ESPN's website is reporting that Carlos Lee is going to the Rangers for Kevin Mench.

chaerulez
07-28-2006, 11:58 AM
It's a fair offer, but you can't fault Lee if he believes if can get more in the offseason (because there is a good chance at the very least he can get a longer deal).

Madvora
07-28-2006, 12:01 PM
It's a fair offer, but you can't fault Lee if he believes if can get more in the offseason (because there is a good chance at the very least he can get a longer deal).
Your late response to this thread probably confused a ton of people (including me.)

He's already been traded.
I though this one a new thread meaning that he rejected the trade!

ComiskeyBrewer
07-28-2006, 03:44 PM
I still gotta ask why shouldn't he try to get the most money he can? All Milwaukee did was give a base starting mark at 12 per.

He should, he just isn't really worth much more than that.

kevin57
07-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Don't be surprised if he looks for the Flubs to sign him. He's supposedly got a big chip on his shoulder concerning the Sox and getting back to Chicago and boosting the Flubs would--in his mind--be sweet revenge.

Tragg
07-29-2006, 01:55 PM
That would surprise me. He looks like a 4/40 or 3/33 guy to me. His career OBP isn't very good, despite hitting in the middle of the order.
I think Soriano is worth about the same. He's on a career year, but he's a poor defender with a low OBP.
We overpaid a little for Konerko, but sometime you have to do that and Konerko is our guy.