PDA

View Full Version : Josh Out Field??

Save McCuddy's
07-27-2006, 11:46 PM
I was listening to Razor Shines giving a radio interview last weekend and he raved about Josh's athletic ability suggesting that he'd be able to play either corner outfield position as well as third. Any reason why we wouldn't get him some experience in the outfield in the event that we ultimately lock up Crede long term?

QCIASOXFAN
07-28-2006, 12:02 AM
We are in a playoff race......

soxfanatlanta
07-28-2006, 07:42 AM
If Fields continues to improve on his defense at 3rd, I would expect Crede to go bye-bye. It will be one, or two more years before we could really think about this seriously though.

How many more years do we have Joe before he can file for free agency?

Save McCuddy's
07-28-2006, 08:08 AM
We are in a playoff race......

The Knights are??

soxtalker
07-28-2006, 09:00 AM
If Fields continues to improve on his defense at 3rd, I would expect Crede to go bye-bye. It will be one, or two more years before we could really think about this seriously though.

Why do you think that KW would have to wait one or two more years before trading Crede? It sounds like Fields is pretty close to being ready for the big show. And Crede is playing at the top of his game. Sounds like the time for a decision is nearing rapidly. I'm not saying that KW will trade Crede, but I think that it is a good possibility. He's a great player and fan favorite, but his back problems present a significant risk.

Britt Burns
07-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Within the next year or two, KW will find a way to get Fields in the lineup, but I sure hope it isn't at the expense of Crede. He has made himself into the best all-around third baseman in the league, IMHO, and he is still probably our best clutch hitter.

Every scouting report you read about Fields says the same thing-ML average defense with room to improve, but he will never be Crede. Keep him at 3rd to maintain his trade value, and next year either trade him or groom him for a corner outfield spot.

veeter
07-28-2006, 11:08 AM
If Michael Cuddyer can make the transition to OF, I think Fields could. Trading Crede should be completely out of the question, unless KW feels there's no way to deal with Boras. I think the plan should be to try to lock Crede up now, long term. Let Fields compete for left field next year.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-28-2006, 01:09 PM
I have a bad feeling that the Fields-Crede thing will turn into the Rowand-Anderson thing.

Randar68
07-28-2006, 01:41 PM
I have a bad feeling that the Fields-Crede thing will turn into the Rowand-Anderson thing.

In what way?

Crede is 10 times the player Rowand was.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-28-2006, 02:06 PM

We have two more years of Crede, at least, and I think he should be one of the untouchables. He's great defensively and arguably the best clutch hitter on the team.

The Sox need to groom Fields at one of the corner outfield positions. I would like to see that this year. Heck, they've even tired Sweeney in left. To my way of thinking, Pods is gone after this year so let's look at Fields out there as well.

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
We have two more years of Crede, at least, and I think he should be one of the untouchables. He's great defensively and arguably the best clutch hitter on the team.

The Sox need to groom Fields at one of the corner outfield positions. I would like to see that this year. Heck, they've even tired Sweeney in left. To my way of thinking, Pods is gone after this year so let's look at Fields out there as well.Then who leads off??? Uribe??? I'm not convinced they're going to replace Podsednik at all, but just for the sake of argument, let's assume they do. They need a leadoff hitter and they have no one who is up to the task. They're probably going to trade one of the starters after the season to make room for McCarthy. Package a starting pitcher and a good prospect and you probably could land a pretty good young player who can lead off for you. Could be LF, could be SS. Fields has much more value in trade as a 3B than as a LF. If they do want to move him to LF next year there will be plenty of time in winter ball to get him some playing time there.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Then who leads off??? Uribe??? I'm not convinced they're going to replace Podsednik at all, but just for the sake of argument, let's assume they do. They need a leadoff hitter and they have no one who is up to the task. They're probably going to trade one of the starters after the season to make room for McCarthy. Package a starting pitcher and a good prospect and you probably could land a pretty good young player who can lead off for you. Could be LF, could be SS. Fields has much more value in trade as a 3B than as a LF. If they do want to move him to LF next year there will be plenty of time in winter ball to get him some playing time there.

Who wants to trade Fields? I surely don't. I'm a Sox fan and have eternal optimism that Fields is the real deal. Left field is not normally a position you look for a leadoff guy, anyway. If we don't have Pods next year, leadoff will likely have to come from the SS or 2nd base position.

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Who wants to trade Fields? I surely don't. I'm a Sox fan and have eternal optimism that Fields is the real deal. Left field is not normally a position you look for a leadoff guy, anyway. If we don't have Pods next year, leadoff will likely have to come from the SS or 2nd base position.The Sox have an option on Iguchi for $3.25M. It's a pretty safe bet he's not going anywhere. If you want to get a decent leadoff hitter, you're not going to get one for a bag of balls. Would you rather trade someone good and get a good player in return or trade crap and get crap back in return?

Hitmen77
07-28-2006, 04:10 PM

Let's see...we were able to trade Rowand for Jim Freakin' Thome because we had Anderson waiting in the wings.

Yeah, I have a bad feeling about this too.

caulfield12
07-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Find that player that can lead off, steal some bases and has a high OBP at SS is going to cost a pretty penny...

Your options are:
Renteria
Vizquel
Felipe Lopez (not a very good defender, to say the least...)
Orlando Cabrera
Furcal...too expensive
Jose Reyes...good luck getting him away from Minaya
Hanley Ramirez...see Reyes, but double difficulty trading for him
Jimmy Rollins...worth a look

Realistically, Renteria is no longer an igniter at the top of the order, Vizquel and Cabrera are much better 2 hitters...you're left with Felipe Lopez, who the Nats just traded for and would be a defensive downgrade on a team without strikeout pitchers (see Valentin, Jose) or Jimmy Rollins, who I'm not even sure the Phillies would be willing to part with. And then you're going to have to get that team to accept Uribe as their SS as well, so it's pretty complicated.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-28-2006, 05:07 PM
The Sox have an option on Iguchi for $3.25M. It's a pretty safe bet he's not going anywhere. If you want to get a decent leadoff hitter, you're not going to get one for a bag of balls. Would you rather trade someone good and get a good player in return or trade crap and get crap back in return?

There's a thing called free agency. I'm not sure where it is written that we have to trade Fields for a leadoff hitter. If Pods is not on the team next year, there's no guarantee Fields would even be on the team. This is not a discussion of Pods vs. Fields. I'm saying I don't want to trade Fields. You're saying Pods is not easy to replace. That's fine. But I don't think Pods is on the team next year.

Tragg
07-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Anderson's a better fielder; Rowand's putting up poor offensive numbers in Philly this year while Anderson's improving. Now Fields certainly has a much higher bar to overcome than did Anderson (besting Crede is a lot tougher than besting Rowand).

Save McCuddy's
07-28-2006, 10:01 PM
The Sox have an option on Iguchi for $3.25M. It's a pretty safe bet he's not going anywhere. If you want to get a decent leadoff hitter, you're not going to get one for a bag of balls. Would you rather trade someone good and get a good player in return or trade crap and get crap back in return?

IMO too much is made of having a prototypical leadoff hitter by too many pundits and gm's. For all the hoopla surrounding Johnny Damon, the BoSox won it while he had a .380 OBP with 19 out of 27 steals. This year they're brilliantly adapting with Youkilis checking in with a .400 OBP and 5 sb's. The '03 Marlins had a conventional stud with Pierre/Castillo in the role. In '02 the Angels got a .363 OBP and 21 out of 34 sb's from Eckstein who was let go for the steep fee of $2,333,333 to the Cards at the beginning of '05.

What exactly constitutes a leadoff hitter that you can win a championship with? There aren't enough of them out there that do what Pods did for 2/3rds of a season last year for every contender to have one. So what do you look for if you've just got to make do? The Twins are using Castillo who hasn't run with any authority since '02. In the AL Central, his typical .380 OBP is now .334 and he's got 13 steals. Likewise, Granderson has a pedestrian 7 swipes with a .369 OBP.

In a roundabout way, I'm suggesting that Pods can be replaced.

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2006, 11:27 PM
There's a thing called free agency. I'm not sure where it is written that we have to trade Fields for a leadoff hitter. If Pods is not on the team next year, there's no guarantee Fields would even be on the team. This is not a discussion of Pods vs. Fields. I'm saying I don't want to trade Fields. You're saying Pods is not easy to replace. That's fine. But I don't think Pods is on the team next year.Really? Free agency? Never heard of it.

So tell us, what free agent leadoff hitters are going to be available?

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2006, 11:30 PM
IMO too much is made of having a prototypical leadoff hitter by too many pundits and gm's. For all the hoopla surrounding Johnny Damon, the BoSox won it while he had a .380 OBP with 19 out of 27 steals. This year they're brilliantly adapting with Youkilis checking in with a .400 OBP and 5 sb's. The '03 Marlins had a conventional stud with Pierre/Castillo in the role. In '02 the Angels got a .363 OBP and 21 out of 34 sb's from Eckstein who was let go for the steep fee of $2,333,333 to the Cards at the beginning of '05.

What exactly constitutes a leadoff hitter that you can win a championship with? There aren't enough of them out there that do what Pods did for 2/3rds of a season last year for every contender to have one. So what do you look for if you've just got to make do? The Twins are using Castillo who hasn't run with any authority since '02. In the AL Central, his typical .380 OBP is now .334 and he's got 13 steals. Likewise, Granderson has a pedestrian 7 swipes with a .369 OBP.

In a roundabout way, I'm suggesting that Pods can be replaced.But why would you? "Making do" doesn't sound like an improvement. I thought that was the whole idea - to improve your team. So unless you have someone better, why would you replace him?

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Rule #1 for a leadoff hitter: Get on base. A cheap option would be David Dellucci. For his career he has shown solid patience and has decent power for a corner OF.

Save McCuddy's
07-29-2006, 10:45 AM
But why would you? "Making do" doesn't sound like an improvement. I thought that was the whole idea - to improve your team. So unless you have someone better, why would you replace him?

My point was not that we should replace him, but to refute the notion that he would be prohibitively difficult to replace.

Tragg
07-29-2006, 11:53 AM
So what do you look for if you've just got to make do? The Twins are using Castillo who hasn't run with any authority since '02. In the AL Central, his typical .380 OBP is now .334 and he's got 13 steals. Likewise, Granderson has a pedestrian 7 swipes with a .369 OBP.

In a roundabout way, I'm suggesting that Pods can be replaced. Did you see what we had for the 15+ years between Tim Raines and Pods? Zilch. Who could hit lead-off on this team right now, without Pods? You're right that they aren't paid much so you would think that they should be easy to find..but we went through 15+ years with clowns batting lead-off, so I suggest that they aren't so easy...the payroll market is based on power numbers.

The Twins haven't won anything with their .334 OBP at leadoff, and likely won't and will likely finish 3rd again.

You look for someone who can get on base and has run-the-bases speed; steals are secondary with Konerko and Thome.

EMachine10
07-29-2006, 12:59 PM
If we lose pods and make no outside additions, i think anderson has the best chance out of everyone to lead off. I am not saying that he is a great leadoff hitter (he is prolly more of a 5 hitter in the future) but as long as he continues to improve this year, he would be our best option. Iguchi has no speed and Uribe isn't all that fast either (not to mention a wild bat)

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 01:08 PM
But why would you? "Making do" doesn't sound like an improvement. I thought that was the whole idea - to improve your team. So unless you have someone better, why would you replace him?

My point was not that we should replace him, but to refute the notion that he would be prohibitively difficult to replace.Anyone can be replaced. We can replace Konerko with Gload. Replacing someone without a significant downgrade...that's not so easy.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2006, 01:30 PM
If we lose pods and make no outside additions, i think anderson has the best chance out of everyone to lead off. I am not saying that he is a great leadoff hitter (he is prolly more of a 5 hitter in the future) but as long as he continues to improve this year, he would be our best option. Iguchi has no speed and Uribe isn't all that fast either (not to mention a wild bat)
Elite speed is unnecessary. We just need a guy who can get on base.

BigPapaPump
07-29-2006, 01:39 PM
What would be the problem with Fields being the new lead off guy next year. So far this year he has proved to be a good on base guy, high average, and can steal some bases.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2006, 01:42 PM
For whatever reason a lot of people would sacrifice patience and the ability to get on base for speed. The Red Sox have not been hurt by putting Youkilis in the leadoff spot. The one guy who would appease everyone as a leadoff hitter would be Abreu. Steals a lot of bags, is an OBP fiend, and does not have power wasted in the leadoff spot.

Tragg
07-29-2006, 01:54 PM
What would be the problem with Fields being the new lead off guy next year. So far this year he has proved to be a good on base guy, high average, and can steal some bases.
If he can do that in the majors, nothing...but that's a risk and a lot of pressure to put on a rookie - et tu Corey Patterson.

Anderson's OBP has remained steady while his BA has risen...somewhat of a concern.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Elite speed is unnecessary. We just need a guy who can get on base.I couldn't disagree more. It may not be an absolute requirement, but it makes your game a hell of a lot better. Putting pressure on the defense makes the following hitters that much better. It gets runners into scoring position, because no matter how high the next hitters' SLG is, most of their hits are still singles. If you need three singles to score a run, you're not going to score many.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2006, 02:41 PM
I couldn't disagree more. It may not be an absolute requirement, but it makes your game a hell of a lot better. Putting pressure on the defense makes the following hitters that much better. It gets runners into scoring position, because no matter how high the next hitters' SLG is, most of their hits are still singles. If you need three singles to score a run, you're not going to score many.
Agree to disagree. IMO, a leadoff hitter needs to get on base. The Red Sox have not been hurt by having an OBP machine at the top.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Agree to disagree. IMO, a leadoff hitter needs to get on base. The Red Sox have not been hurt by having an OBP machine at the top.What planet were you on last year? Getting on base is obviously a prerequisite. You can't steal if you can't get on. But the ability to steal bases in addition puts more runs on the board. I don't see how it's even open to debate. That's not to say you can't win if you don't have it, but speed at the top unquestionably makes your team that much better.

Craig Grebeck
07-29-2006, 02:54 PM
What planet were you on last year? Getting on base is obviously a prerequisite. You can't steal if you can't get on. But the ability to steal bases in addition puts more runs on the board. I don't see how it's even open to debate. That's not to say you can't win if you don't have it, but speed at the top unquestionably makes your team that much better.
I'm saying that a batter with a .400 OBP and decent steal rate is better than Pods this year. 12 out of 41 times Pods has run us into outs. My point is that having a higher OBP is more important than having a lower one and stealing bases.

All I'm saying is .385 OBP>.350 OBP with speed.

Ol' No. 2
07-29-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm saying that a batter with a .400 OBP and decent steal rate is better than Pods this year. 12 out of 41 times Pods has run us into outs. My point is that having a higher OBP is more important than having a lower one and stealing bases.

All I'm saying is .385 OBP>.350 OBP with speed.I'd disagree with that for sure. You're looking at 3.5% difference in getting on base. That's about twice in a month. The ability to steal bases far outweighs that. He may have run into outs 12 times, but that's also 29 times he'd gotten into scoring position where it takes only a single to get him in. Unless you prefer waiting around for a home run. That's worked so well in the past.

Edit: And that's not to mention the ancillary benefits of having a running game.

CallMeNuts
07-29-2006, 03:48 PM
I predict:

After this season is over, the Sox will offer Crede a very respectable multi-year contract. If he accepts it, then Fields will either become an outfielder, or get traded.

But unfortunately, with Boras as his agent, he will likely turn down the offer. In this case, the Sox will trade Crede. Fields will stay at third. And the Sox will be able to tell the fans that they tried to keep Crede.

And whichever way this plays out, the Sox will end up better off. Either Fields or Crede should yield an outstanding player in return. The Sox are in the catbirds seat on this one.

jabrch
07-29-2006, 07:59 PM

All I'm saying is .385 OBP>.350 OBP with speed.

All things being equal - if the difference is .385 and no speed, or .350 and Pods speed, you are high to take .385. Over the course of a season, and 600 PA, that's the equivalent of about 20 bases. Pods speed is worth well WELL MORE THAN 20 BASES.

Craig Grebeck
07-30-2006, 12:27 AM
All things being equal - if the difference is .385 and no speed, or .350 and Pods speed, you are high to take .385. Over the course of a season, and 600 PA, that's the equivalent of about 20 bases. Pods speed is worth well WELL MORE THAN 20 BASES.
Pods has now failed in almost half of his stolen base attempts. That is abysmal.

Save McCuddy's
07-30-2006, 02:10 AM
Old No. 2 -

For a poster with a generous output of salient baseball discussion, you sometimes appear to take on an obsession for being "right" or having the last word. This thread began as a simple question/musing: "Should the organization be testing/preparing Josh Fields defensively as a corner outfielder for future consideration". That's it.

Our # 1 offensive prospect happens to play the same position as a key player on our squad who is on the verge of commanding something in the neighborhood of 3 yrs $20 mil. Shouldn't we be contemplating the possibilty that Fields might be fill at a different position if and when the time comes.

And so it goes, the discussion evolves into a debate on the value of Scott Podsednik and the possibility of a change in LF. Please don't demean that debate by suggesting that Gload for Konerko is comparable on any level to Podsednik being replaced by anyone living or dead. As an example of the replaceability of leadoff hitters, I cited the Boston Red Sox and their shift from Damon to Youkilis and the relative effectiveness of that transition as Kevin reaches base 40% of the time yet steals only 1.2 bases per month.

One step further, as this in some ways comes down to a theoretical choice between Pods and Crede. Crede plain and simple gives us more edge on the competition. Both play a marginally insignificant position defensively. Crede happens to play his at a very high level while Podsednik is an abysmal version of average in Left. Left, where offense grows on trees. Either way, I expect the squad to explore each of the possible scenarios before it is forced to act.

Craig Grebeck
07-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Pods is an offensive wasteland. He's been caught on almost half of his steal attempts and is well below league average in EVERY offensive category.

caulfield12
07-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Okay 29/42 or 43 is not half.

Craig Grebeck
07-30-2006, 01:12 PM
My fault, I meant 1/3. Which is horrible.

Ol' No. 2
07-30-2006, 01:20 PM
My fault, I meant 1/3. Which is horrible.Says who?

Ol' No. 2
07-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Old No. 2 -

For a poster with a generous output of salient baseball discussion, you sometimes appear to take on an obsession for being "right" or having the last word. This thread began as a simple question/musing: "Should the organization be testing/preparing Josh Fields defensively as a corner outfielder for future consideration". That's it.

Our # 1 offensive prospect happens to play the same position as a key player on our squad who is on the verge of commanding something in the neighborhood of 3 yrs $20 mil. Shouldn't we be contemplating the possibilty that Fields might be fill at a different position if and when the time comes.

And so it goes, the discussion evolves into a debate on the value of Scott Podsednik and the possibility of a change in LF. Please don't demean that debate by suggesting that Gload for Konerko is comparable on any level to Podsednik being replaced by anyone living or dead. As an example of the replaceability of leadoff hitters, I cited the Boston Red Sox and their shift from Damon to Youkilis and the relative effectiveness of that transition as Kevin reaches base 40% of the time yet steals only 1.2 bases per month.

One step further, as this in some ways comes down to a theoretical choice between Pods and Crede. Crede plain and simple gives us more edge on the competition. Both play a marginally insignificant position defensively. Crede happens to play his at a very high level while Podsednik is an abysmal version of average in Left. Left, where offense grows on trees. Either way, I expect the squad to explore each of the possible scenarios before it is forced to act.*** are you talking about? Put Fields in LF and who leads off? Please tell me.

Craig Grebeck
07-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Says who?
You get 3 outs in one inning. When a player reaches base, he has avoided making an out. When a player makes an out on the basepaths, it is INEXCUSABLE. A good percentage for guys who make A LOT of attempts like Pods is 75-80%. He's hovering around 66%. He has no value to this team.

Save McCuddy's
07-30-2006, 03:29 PM
*** are you talking about? Put Fields in LF and who leads off? Please tell me.

Take a deep breath. Why the furiousity? This post is a query into whether you feel that Fields should be seeing time at positions other than 3rd base for the balance of this season -- ie, corner outfield. There was no malicious insinuation sent Scotty's way.

But, if you want an answer, I'd take a shot with Fields. His AAA numbers to date this year would do me just fine in the leadoff spot. I'm not suggesting that he can reproduce them in the majors, but you did ask. If it wasn't to be Fields, then presumably someone else will be playing left, and if it's someone with a .375 or better OBP then I'm fine with whoever that is.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2006, 11:05 AM
You get 3 outs in one inning. When a player reaches base, he has avoided making an out. When a player makes an out on the basepaths, it is INEXCUSABLE. A good percentage for guys who make A LOT of attempts like Pods is 75-80%. He's hovering around 66%. He has no value to this team.Where did you get those numbers, from a dartboard? Don't bother answering. I already know the answer - it's from a discredited BP screed.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2006, 11:06 AM
Take a deep breath. Why the furiousity? This post is a query into whether you feel that Fields should be seeing time at positions other than 3rd base for the balance of this season -- ie, corner outfield. There was no malicious insinuation sent Scotty's way.

But, if you want an answer, I'd take a shot with Fields. His AAA numbers to date this year would do me just fine in the leadoff spot. I'm not suggesting that he can reproduce them in the majors, but you did ask. If it wasn't to be Fields, then presumably someone else will be playing left, and if it's someone with a .375 or better OBP then I'm fine with whoever that is.There's no way you could put Fields as a leadoff hitter at the major leagues. Not only is he NOT suited to leadoff, you wouldn't do that to a rookie, even if he was.

Craig Grebeck
07-31-2006, 12:14 PM
Where did you get those numbers, from a dartboard? Don't bother answering. I already know the answer - it's from a discredited BP screed.
Your endless defense of Pods and his baserunning is growing tiresome. What is a good percentage for a basestealer? A team built like ours does not need to run around that much because our 3-6 is as productive as anyone in baseball. If we can find a cheap corner outfielder with good OBP next season, he'd be an improvement over Pods (Dellucci, Murton, Roberts). I would love to have Dave Roberts in left.

caulfield12
07-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Love and Dave Roberts do not go in the same sentence...

Craig Grebeck
07-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Love and Dave Roberts do not go in the same sentence...
Look at his stats this year. He is tearing it up in Petco. He'd be a nice one year plug.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Your endless defense of Pods and his baserunning is growing tiresome. What is a good percentage for a basestealer? A team built like ours does not need to run around that much because our 3-6 is as productive as anyone in baseball. If we can find a cheap corner outfielder with good OBP next season, he'd be an improvement over Pods (Dellucci, Murton, Roberts). I would love to have Dave Roberts in left.Actually, it's you FOBB that are tiresome with your endless bleating about Mr. Wonderful (aka Billy Beane) and his magic presciption for putting together teams that are good, but never win anything. BTW, how's Jeremy Brown doing these days?:tongue:

Craig Grebeck
07-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Actually, it's you FOBB that are tiresome with your endless bleating about Mr. Wonderful (aka Billy Beane) and his magic presciption for putting together teams that are good, but never win anything. BTW, how's Jeremy Brown doing these days?:tongue:
I have not once mentioned Billy Beane, not once. Anytime OBP is brought up people resort to name calling and petty insults. It's an important stat and is vital to scoring runs. Once again, would the Red Sox be better served to have Coco Crisp leadoff instead of Youkilis?

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2006, 01:29 PM
I have not once mentioned Billy Beane, not once. Anytime OBP is brought up people resort to name calling and petty insults. It's an important stat and is vital to scoring runs. Once again, would the Red Sox be better served to have Coco Crisp leadoff instead of Youkilis?No, but they'd be a lot better off with Podsednik. There's more to being a leadoff hitter than OBP.