PDA

View Full Version : Kurkjian is sorry!

Whitesox4ever
07-27-2006, 10:12 PM
When a source told him the Sox were on the verge of landing Soriano from Washington, Kurkjian filed a television report that ESPN.com picked up.

"I think what [the report] did was establish that the Sox were indeed seriously interested, which I don't think had been out there," Kurkjian said. "But clearly my source took it too far, and I did too."

Kurkjian, who no longer believes the deal will be completed, fears his source might have been using him in an effort to boost Soriano's value.

For example, say the Tigers and Sox are interested in Soriano. If the Tigers believe the Sox are close to landing him, they might improve their offer. That would benefit both the Nationals and the Sox.

"It's a really, really bad feeling to think that someone you're dealing with is telling you something just to force another team to do something," Kurkjian said. "But it happens every day."

TornLabrum
07-27-2006, 10:17 PM
When a source told him the Sox were on the verge of landing Soriano from Washington, Kurkjian filed a television report that ESPN.com picked up.

"I think what [the report] did was establish that the Sox were indeed seriously interested, which I don't think had been out there," Kurkjian said. "But clearly my source took it too far, and I did too."

Kurkjian, who no longer believes the deal will be completed, fears his source might have been using him in an effort to boost Soriano's value.

For example, say the Tigers and Sox are interested in Soriano. If the Tigers believe the Sox are close to landing him, they might improve their offer. That would benefit both the Nationals and the Sox.

"It's a really, really bad feeling to think that someone you're dealing with is telling you something just to force another team to do something," Kurkjian said. "But it happens every day."

So Bruce went too far this time....

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 10:17 PM
And Kurkjian has been around long enough to know better.

ode to veeck
07-27-2006, 10:22 PM
good thing the Sox weren't willing to give up Brandan McCarthy. We'll need another starter next year.

lumpyspun
07-27-2006, 10:24 PM
good thing the Sox weren't willing to give up Brandan McCarthy. We'll need another starter next year.

next year?

Save McCuddy's
07-27-2006, 10:33 PM
I thought from the moment I heard the rumor that it was deliberately leaked by our marketing team. KW has made it a point to garner media attention for our club in his quest to grab a share of the spotlight with our A clown neighbors on the north side. Combine that with the fact that we need to be Yankeesque and attempt to block our financially less advantaged friends in Minny and Detroit whenever pivotal acquisitions are available. I'm hoping that I'm right, but either way I tip my hat to the organization for making us a nationally recognized squad.

TornLabrum
07-27-2006, 10:36 PM
I thought from the moment I heard the rumor that it was deliberately leaked by our marketing team. KW has made it a point to garner media attention for our club in his quest to grab a share of the spotlight with our A clown neighbors on the north side. Combine that with the fact that we need to be Yankeesque and attempt to block our financially less advantaged friends in Minny and Detroit whenever pivotal acquisitions are available. I'm hoping that I'm right, but either way I tip my hat to the organization for making us a nationally recognized squad.

That wouldn't be marketing. It had to be somebody under KW if not KW himself. My only question is whether Levineline was complicit in this or if he's just plain stupid.

Save McCuddy's
07-27-2006, 10:41 PM
That wouldn't be marketing. It had to be somebody under KW if not KW himself. My only question is whether Levineline was complicit in this or if he's just plain stupid.

I guess I meant "quasi" marketing team, not actually Brooks Boyer. Teams often jokey around with false press leaks and smoke screens at this time of year and particularily at the winter meetings just to see which rabbits pop out of the ground.

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 10:42 PM
That wouldn't be marketing. It had to be somebody under KW if not KW himself. My only question is whether Levineline was complicit in this or if he's just plain stupid.More likely this came from the Gnats. A little window dressing to pump up the price.

RadioheadRocks
07-27-2006, 11:10 PM
ESPN is a virtual bastion of credibility; needless to say this revelation pretty much sums up what I thought of the announcement when it was first made, FWIW.

Ishmookie
07-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Timmy got me excited when he was talking about soriano, although based on espn's reputation I shouldnt have cared. I remember last year, Bruce Levine's "source" said we were getting Ken Griffey Jr. and we all know how that played out. I expected this to all be just some rumor and maybe boost his trade value so it would be harder for the team who never loses aka detroit to get him.

Ditka311
07-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Timmy got me excited when he was talking about soriano, although based on espn's reputation I shouldnt have cared. I remember last year, Bruce Levine's "source" said we were getting Ken Griffey Jr. and we all know how that played out. I expected this to all be just some rumor and maybe boost his trade value so it would be harder for the team who never loses aka detroit to get him.

I bet Griffey wishes now he was on the Sox. He would have some bling to show off.

Come on fellas, get it back!

DaleJRFan
07-28-2006, 12:01 AM
I like Tim Kurkjian, too bad he got hosed by Levine. Maybe he won't take him seriously next time.

JorgeFabregas
07-28-2006, 12:06 AM
Why the assumption that it was someone on the Sox' side? Why not the Nationals? Not that it couldn't or wouldn't be, but it's not clear to me from the article.

getonbckthr
07-28-2006, 12:24 AM
I can't blame Kurkjian. He was doing what anyone with the report he was given would have down, report before one of your peers does. His source simply betrayed the trust to boost the price of Soriano.

SpartanSoxFan
07-28-2006, 01:32 AM
Maybe Bruce "Levineline" should stick to covering the Flubbs and all of their (mis)adventures exclusively. Then we won't even be talking about this.

35th&Shields
07-28-2006, 07:18 AM
I can't blame Kurkjian. He was doing what anyone with the report he was given would have down, report before one of your peers does. His source simply betrayed the trust to boost the price of Soriano.

I'll blame him. That's lousy reporting. A good reporter isn't one that is "first to the story." A good reporter is one who reports their assignments accurately and that includes checking out their sources for accuracy.

Save McCuddy's
07-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Is it me, or does Levine look particularily creepy with that pasty grey goatee? You'd think he was hoping to make manager at Reckless Records.

Medford Bobby
07-28-2006, 08:16 AM
:smile: Thank You former ESPN guy Jim Bowden................:o:

Soxfest
07-28-2006, 06:02 PM
TK is usually pretty good so I will let him slide on this deal!

Gavin
07-28-2006, 06:17 PM
He was mistaken to blow the call on the Soriano possibility but if anything the result was nothing but good for the Sox...