PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion

Lip Man 1
07-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Folks:

I have an idea...it may not be worth much but I'd like to try to help matters.

I know it's been a rough three weeks. It's been brutal on me and I don't get paid a dime by the White Sox. I can only imagine must it must be like for the folks who actually do work for the organization.

Here's my suggestion. Hell maybe it can even be used as a marketing / rallying cry.

I think part of the issue is the constant referencing 'how many games behind the Tigers are the Sox.' or 'how many games ahead/behind are the Sox in the wild card.'

Here's my idea. No one mentions the standings or the scoreboards for the rest of the season.

There is only one number that matters, it's the crux of my campaign. That number is 35

35 wins in the final sixty games (35-25) gives the White Sox 94 wins on the season. I don't know about you but I'll take my chances on getting into the postseason with that number of wins.

That's my idea.

35 wins... nothing else matters... not what the Tigers do, not what the Yankees do, not what the Twins or Blue Jays do. Who plays who doesn't matter, what the in - games scores are in the 5th inning doesn't matter. All that matters is what the White Sox do...day to day, night to night.

35 wins.

Lip

rowand33
07-27-2006, 10:10 PM
I'd aim for 95 wins.

these are the win totals for 2005 AL playoff teams:

Sox- 99, Yanks- 95, BoSox- 95, Angels- 95

so let's make that number 36.

caulfield12
07-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Interestingly enough, that 36-26 is also the ratio of over .500 to sub .500 teams we have on the schedule for the remainder of the season...so we have a double challenge, although one that's not insurmountable with our starting rotation pulling together and scratching and clawing offensively like we did last year for every single run. And we'll need it tomorrow night against Bedard.

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 10:15 PM
I see...avoid disappointment - aim low.

Screw that. The Sox have 62 games left. Win 'em all, starting with the next one.

BadBobbyJenks
07-27-2006, 10:17 PM

Screw that. The Sox have 62 games left. Win 'em all, starting with the next one.

"I found that if you have a goal, that you might not reach it. But if you don't have one, then you are never disappointed. And I gotta tell ya... it feels phenomenal"

TaylorStSox
07-27-2006, 10:20 PM
I'd say don't worry about magic numbers or standings. Take one game at a time. This team is good enough to catch up. They have to get back to basics, have fun and let the rest take care of itself. That's the way I'm treating the rest of the season.

iwcup
07-27-2006, 10:29 PM
sounds a little "major league" esque, but I' ll buy it..

35 wins... Starts tomorrow at Balto...

Brian26
07-27-2006, 10:37 PM
35 wins in the final sixty games (35-25) gives the White Sox 94 wins on the season. I don't know about you but I'll take my chances on getting into the postseason with that number of wins.

A lot of good teams have missed the playoffs with 94 wins, and this year would be a perfect example of that. There's no way in hell the wild card winner is going to have 94 wins or less.

Brian26
07-27-2006, 10:38 PM

There's no reason we shouldn't sweep Baltimore to start this road trip. We owned them here earlier this month. Let's get it done.

StatHead21
07-27-2006, 10:42 PM
I thought they'd win about 95 before the season started, its not to far fetched that they'll get 95.

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 10:47 PM
There's no reason we shouldn't sweep Baltimore to start this road trip. We owned them here earlier this month. Let's get it done.There's no reason they shouldn't have taken at least 2 of 3 from the Twinks, either. This team won 2/3 of its games the first two months of the season, and there's no reason they can't do at least that well the last two months. That would put them around 100. But they have to start playing better and soon.

Let's just win tomorrow and worry about the rest of the games later.

BadBobbyJenks
07-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Not going to lie I said 105 maybe while intoxicated bumped them up to 110...

Its about taking series at this point

Brian26
07-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Let's just win tomorrow and worry about the rest of the games later.

No problem. Some guy, Bedard, is pitching. We'll get him early.:D:

Save McCuddy's
07-27-2006, 10:52 PM
The toughest part of coming out of a slump is fixating on the future and how many wins you need to rack up by a certain date to right the ship. The Twins certainly aren't this hot because they decided 41 games ago that they'd better go 33-8 over the next stretch. Instead, this club has got to start focusing inning by inning -- kind of like they did last year. You've got to win at bat by at bat. That seems to give me more time to concentrate on my beer drinking.

Iwritecode
07-27-2006, 11:35 PM
A lot of good teams have missed the playoffs with 94 wins, and this year would be a perfect example of that. There's no way in hell the wild card winner is going to have 94 wins or less.

No team since 1995 has won 94 games or more and NOT made the playoffs. Since the introduction of the wild card, 94 seems to be the magic number.

PKalltheway
07-28-2006, 01:38 AM
No team since 1995 has won 94 games or more and NOT made the playoffs. Since the introduction of the wild card, 94 seems to be the magic number.
Oh how soon you forget. The 1999 Cincinnati Reds had 96 wins and still missed the playoffs.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/alltime/season?year=1999

sox1970
07-28-2006, 05:52 AM

Not this year, folks. 94 would get them tee times on October 2.

It's going to take 96-98 wins to win the wildcard this year because the AL dominated in interleague play.

If they go 38-24, I like our chances.

Baby Fisk
07-28-2006, 05:59 AM
We must stand for nothing less than the annihilation of our enemies. Win everything, spare no one. Loot their museums, trash their monuments, etc.

DumpJerry
07-28-2006, 06:14 AM
94 may not cut it this year in the AL. 94 wins the NL will get you a seat at the table since the second-best team after the Mets will have 80 wins.

I'm with Ol' No. 2-win 'em all. All we need to do (which is what you do any time of any season) is win your games. The Sox have no control over the outcomes of the other games other teams are playing. We have to assume that Minny and Detroit will not cool off, so we net get our A Game back today.

soxfanatlanta
07-28-2006, 06:24 AM
We must stand for nothing less than the annihilation of our enemies. Win everything, spare no one. Loot their museums, trash their monuments, etc.

You forgot about eating their hearts to make us stronger, and other fun stuff. :tongue:

Don't bother looking too far into the future; keep it simple. Let's win today.

nebraskasox
07-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Instead, this club has got to start focusing inning by inning -- kind of like they did last year. You've got to win at bat by at bat.

Sounds like a good definition of grinder ball.

35th&Shields
07-28-2006, 08:43 AM

I agree. The Yankees are currently in the lead with a record of 59-40, which is a .596 winning percentage. Over a 162 game regular season, that same winning percentage would result in 96.55 wins. This year it may take 96 or 97 wins to get in as the Wild Card in the AL.

drewcifer
07-28-2006, 09:09 AM
I don't see any excuse for less than 99, personally. This is for the most part, the same team as last year but BETTER.

$30M+ in payroll increase, much more offensive capacity - Same pitching with more seasoning. We should be able to at least match last season's record.

Anyway - I agree with alot of the other posters in that it's each game, each inning, each at bat that should be our guy's focus.

batmanZoSo
07-28-2006, 09:12 AM

:gulp:

Chicken Dinner
07-28-2006, 09:46 AM
No problem. Some guy, Bedard, is pitching. We'll get him early.:D:

Snapping Bedard's 7 game win streak (1 of them is against us) would be huge. Hope the boys slept good last night.

White Sox Randy
07-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Lip, I like your idea !

One problem, and this is what's been eating at me lately.

Every year we have the Yankees and the Red Sox to contend with. The National league has nothing like those two so it automatically becomes much easier to make the playoffs in the NL.

But, every year the White Sox have to hope that these 2 huge spending teams either screwed up and make some bad mistakes or they have a ton of injuries. Otherwise, it's hard to get in the playoffs ahead of one of them or beat them in the playoffs should we make it.

What's eating me and what sucks about this year, is that the Yanks and Red Sox are not that great and THIS YEAR we have a great chance because we have been so healthy and we have the best team "on paper" that we have ever had.

But, Detroit and Minny are ON FIRE ! This year, I believe that it will take more than 94, 95, 96 or 97 wins to win the wild card. I say 98 wins is what it will take.

That means, the Sox must go 39-23. That is a .629 percentage which should be doable. But, the pitching HAS to come back.

The starters have to begin shutting teams down to 3 runs or less on a pretty regular basis.

I believe that they can do it. Will they ?

CommanderPudge72
07-28-2006, 10:22 AM
I think it is a good plan to STOP THE INSANITY!!!!...sorry.

If we play at that pace, we should be in the hunt at the end and it is doable...

We "have played ouselves into a race." - Bill Melton

So, now we will need some breaks to make it, but we definitely can...we are that DAMN GOOD...just not right now.

At least it gives a target and stops people from exclaiming, "GOOD BYE CRUEL WORLD!!!" around here for a month or two (just in case this dosen't go our way...shhh).:o:

Iwritecode
07-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Oh how soon you forget. The 1999 Cincinnati Reds had 96 wins and still missed the playoffs.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/alltime/season?year=1999

OK, so it's happened once in 11 years. What makes this year so different?

The teams will cool down eventually. Even if they don't, they'll be beating up on each other the rest of the season anyway. I'm curious to know if it's even mathmatically possible for any of the teams to win 94 and not make the playoffs with this "balanced schedule" they have now.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Jim Thome to Joe Cowley of the Sun-Times (for what it may be worth):

"Veteran slugger Jim Thome -- who understands his 4-for-29 slump over the last eight games hasn't helped matters during the Sox' skid -- said Wednesday the club needs to stop worrying about what's going on with other teams.

"The main thing is start winning games,'' he said. "Worry about that, and then all that other stuff will take care of itself. You always want to set your goals high, but right now our goal should be to go out and win games and worry about us. Stop worrying about Minnesota, Detroit, this and that. We need to start concentrating on ourselves."

Like I said nothing else matters, not the standings, not who is playing whom...just what the Sox do day by day, night by night. If they rack up 35 more wins they have a great chance.

I'll take my chances with it.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Jim Thome to Joe Cowley of the Sun-Times (for what it may be worth):

"Veteran slugger Jim Thome -- who understands his 4-for-29 slump over the last eight games hasn't helped matters during the Sox' skid -- said Wednesday the club needs to stop worrying about what's going on with other teams.

"The main thing is start winning games,'' he said. "Worry about that, and then all that other stuff will take care of itself. You always want to set your goals high, but right now our goal should be to go out and win games and worry about us. Stop worrying about Minnesota, Detroit, this and that. We need to start concentrating on ourselves."

Like I said nothing else matters, not the standings, not who is playing whom...just what the Sox do day by day, night by night. If they rack up 35 more wins they have a great chance.

LipYou expect to lose some games, but you never plan to lose. You play them one at a time and you try to win them all. The target is 62-0.

Minnie Me
07-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Call for desperate measures.
The upsidedown lineup or the lineup out of a hat is always fun.

UPSIDE DOWN LINEUP
Anderson
Uribe
Crede
AJ
Dye
Konerko
Thome
Tadihto
Pods (Actually Pods batting last looks good)

Lineup Out Of A Hat
Thome
Konerko
Tadihito
Crede
Anderson
AJ
Pods
Uribe
Dye

BainesHOF
07-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Ninety-four wins will not be good enough to make the playoffs. We don't need to worry about a certain amount of wins or, right now, even catching Detroit. We have to right our ship, win as many games as possible and see where we stand when it's all done.

Does grinder baseball ring a bell?

slobes
07-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Lineup Out Of A Hat
Thome
Konerko
Tadihito
Crede
Anderson
AJ
Pods
Uribe
Dye

Have Thome start off the game with an infield hit, steal second, have Paulie bunt him over, and Tadahito picks up an RBI. I see nothing wrong with that :redneck

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Have Thome start off the game with an infield hit, steal second, have Paulie bunt him over, and Tadahito picks up an RBI. I see nothing wrong with that :redneck They'll certainly have the element of surprise on their side.

Mohoney
07-28-2006, 02:31 PM
With Interleague Play over, I think that things will even out a little for everybody, including us.

The records for all these teams look so good because of an AL dominance of Interleague Play. The AL won at a .611 clip. Only 2 NL teams were above .500 in Interleague (Mets and Rockies).

For those that think it's impossible for 94 wins to get the Wild Card, let's wait until the end of August to make that assessment.

PKalltheway
07-28-2006, 03:56 PM
OK, so it's happened once in 11 years. What makes this year so different?

The teams will cool down eventually. Even if they don't, they'll be beating up on each other the rest of the season anyway. I'm curious to know if it's even mathmatically possible for any of the teams to win 94 and not make the playoffs with this "balanced schedule" they have now.
You may be right. Is it mathematically possible? I think the Reds having 96 wins and still missing the playoffs could have a lot to do with the unbalanced schedule they still had back then. Anything could happen though...

miker
07-29-2006, 11:12 AM
"I found that if you have a goal, that you might not reach it. But if you don't have one, then you are never disappointed. And I gotta tell ya... it feels phenomenal"
"Follow your dreams, you can reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake. Beefcake!"

kevingrt
07-29-2006, 11:33 AM

Best plan I've heard yet.

whitesoxfan1986
07-29-2006, 11:41 AM
The way things are going in the AL it might take 100 wins to get in the playoffs outside of the AL West winner. I could see some team winning 95-99 games and NOT getting in the playoffs.

pudge
07-29-2006, 03:07 PM
If they rack up 35 more wins they have a great chance.

Lip

I wouldn't take my chances with that in this particular season. The "rule of thumb" has to be broken at some point, this would be exactly the year it could happen.

Having said that, anything *less* than 35, and there's no way in hell.