PDA

View Full Version : Dusty won't be fired

thomas35forever
07-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Just heard on Fox News that Jim Hendry made it clear that Dusty Baker will not be fired this season. Very well. The Cubs'll just alienate more fans.

"They say Chicago's a great city.
Why then aim for mediocrty?"

TornLabrum
07-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Just heard on Fox News that Jim Hendry made it clear that Dusty Baker will not be fired this season. Very well. The Cubs'll just alienate more fans.

Why then aim for mediocrty?"

Because 3 million people will come to see the Flubs whether they are mediocre or just plain lousy.

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 10:08 PM

Why then aim for mediocrty?"What would be the point in firing him now? To try to save the season? Unless they have a candidate in mind for next year who is available now, there's nothing to be gained by firing Dusty and making Speiers interim manager.

TornLabrum
07-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Steve Stone had an interesting stat the other day: The last Cubs manager allowed to manage through two complete losing seasons was Bob Scheffing in 1958-59. Dusty is in great company.

FedEx227
07-27-2006, 10:33 PM
If they fired him now they'd look like even bigger idiots.

All the excuses about D-Lee, about Prior, about Wood would be moot points, they'd be saying the manager is the fault.

By what they're doing they are again putting the blame on absolutely nobody and making the lost season nothing more than another excuse fest.

QCIASOXFAN
07-27-2006, 10:35 PM
I hope he gets an extension after the season.:smile:

Iwritecode
07-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Steve Stone had an interesting stat the other day: The last Cubs manager allowed to manage through two complete losing seasons was Bob Scheffing in 1958-59. Dusty is in great company.

I was LOL when they were trying to remember the last Cub manager to actually get another regular managing job after leaving the Cubs.

StatHead21
07-27-2006, 11:44 PM
:roflmao:

StillMissOzzie
07-28-2006, 01:37 AM
Then I suppose the other shoe will drop any day now where they announce that Derek Lee will be shut down for the rest of the year. I smell youth movement!

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
07-28-2006, 02:03 AM
I smell youth movement!Not with Dusty in charge! Young players are nothing but trouble. You need "veteran presence."

MagicNumber22
07-28-2006, 01:49 PM
In all honesty, I feel for Cubs fans. What is happening on the Northside is an absolute disgrace and it doesn't look like there is an end in sight. Baker is only a good manager when he has good players and right now he doesn't have that. He's not going to take that team anywhere. After seeing the way that the Cubs' fans treat their team, who would want that job anyway?

INSox56
07-28-2006, 02:07 PM
In all honesty, I feel for Cubs fans.
I feel a LITTLE for REAL cubs fans. Not cubs fans in general. But even then, how many of them would feel/have felt for us when we sucked bad bad bad. Dusty's not the big problem anyway, it's the monkey with the telephone up there playing GM

Pierzynski 12
07-28-2006, 02:15 PM
What a shock.:rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
07-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Not with Dusty in charge! Young players are nothing but trouble. You need "veteran presence."

That's why they need to get some of that aging cream they use on movie sets. Instant veteran looks!

:rolleyes:

CaptainBallz
07-28-2006, 02:45 PM
They all deserve each other...so, so much...:bandance:

Brewski
07-28-2006, 03:02 PM
You can't say they didn't use up plenty of column inches in the Sports Section of their house organ testing the waters of a Dusty firing with various and sundry stories about it by Shill Rogers, Fred Mitshill, Paul Shillivan and the like before they made their decision. Give them credit for thorough research.

SOXPHILE
07-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Good. Now they can get back into both the divisional and wild card race. My only hope now is they don't fire him after the season. Please, please please re-sign him to a nice, fat 20 year extension. Having that guy at the helm of that sputtering blue & red corporate jalopy is a riot. The finger pointing, blame game, confronting announcers, and all around comedic suckiness that is all things Cub will continue on and on. Good times.