PDA

View Full Version : Old Baseball Book ?

RichH55
02-17-2002, 11:50 PM
Does anyone have a used copy of "Ball Four" ? Just sort of wondering....always thought it would be a good read....beats Intro to Marketing

kermittheefrog
02-18-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Does anyone have a used copy of "Ball Four" ? Just sort of wondering....always thought it would be a good read....beats Intro to Marketing

It's hard to find used copies but it's pretty easy to find the reissue in paperback. It may be old but it's so incredibly popular that every bookstore still stocks it. The latest reissue was just put into paperback from the hardcover. Me, I got the hardcover for Christmas, just started reading and it's great.

RichH55
02-18-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

It's hard to find used copies but it's pretty easy to find the reissue in paperback. It may be old but it's so incredibly popular that every bookstore still stocks it. The latest reissue was just put into paperback from the hardcover. Me, I got the hardcover for Christmas, just started reading and it's great.

Let me know when you finish that badboy and we might change my nickname to mooch;) Though BTW I think I finally get to go to a Cubs-Sox game this year....such a deal

Soxheads
02-18-2002, 01:06 AM

Let me know when you finish that badboy and we might change my nickname to mooch;) Though BTW I think I finally get to go to a Cubs-Sox game this year....such a deal

I've got it too. Don't want to shell out the 13$ at B&N?

RichH55
02-18-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

I've got it too. Don't want to shell out the 13$ at B&N?

Poor College Student(sounds better than cheap)...though I did shell out the money for this years Baseball Prospectus...so go figure

FarWestChicago
02-18-2002, 01:19 AM

Poor College Student(sounds better than cheap)...though I did shell out the money for this years Baseball Prospectus...so go figure Don't they have a library in Chambana? :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-18-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Don't they have a library in Chambana? :smile:

Well of course they do! Unfortunately, it doubles as a Stuckey's during the day.

:)

Nellie_Fox
02-18-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Don't they have a library in Chambana? :smile:
Just for the heck of it, I just did a quick internet search on the U of I Champaign library, and they currently have three copies available; two in the main stacks and one in the undergraduate stacks. I have no idea what the difference is, but there you go.

RichH55
02-18-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Just for the heck of it, I just did a quick internet search on the U of I Champaign library, and they currently have three copies available; two in the main stacks and one in the undergraduate stacks. I have no idea what the difference is, but there you go.

You do know you have just done more library research in one day than I have in my 3 years here........Though on the stacks...the undergrad will give books to anyone, while the main stacks is more a status thing(who knows why)....though the library system here scares me...I did a report on the Burnham Plan of 1909 for Chicago and when I went to get the plan itself they asked if I wanted the original.....have they ever seen College kids? They don't trust us in any capacity but will give us original historic documents...is a Happy Medium too much to ask for??!?? End Diatribe here...and thanks for the research from everyone, especially Nellie

Nellie_Fox
02-18-2002, 11:27 AM
You do know you have just done more library research in one day than I have in my 3 years here...
That doesn't surprise me. Many of my students who are juniors or seniors will let slip some statement that reveals that they've never been in the library here. :D: It was my pleasure to be of assistance.

czalgosz
02-18-2002, 11:31 AM

That doesn't surprise me. Many of my students who are juniors or seniors will let slip some statement that reveals that they've never been in the library here. :D: It was my pleasure to be of assistance.

One time I was doing a research paper using the declassified government documents (mainly diplomatic papers from the 30s and 40s) that our library had in some side rooms. I was there for about 3-4 hours a day for about 3 weeks (it was a big paper) and I never saw another person come into those rooms once.

Cheryl
02-18-2002, 03:00 PM

As a librarian, I can't say I'm surprised. ut then we have so much stuff available through our website--full text text books, journals, materials professors put on reserve--students rarely need to come to the library anymore.

Nellie_Fox
02-18-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
As a librarian, I can't say I'm surprised. ut then we have so much stuff available through our website--full text text books, journals, materials professors put on reserve--students rarely need to come to the library anymore.
I wish that were the reason, but most of them don't know how to find the online resources either. They use Google to find web pages, but can't find a journal article to save their lives.

RichH55
02-18-2002, 03:04 PM

I wish that were the reason, but most of them don't know how to find the online resources either. They use Google to find web pages, but can't find a journal article to save their lives.

Hey I resemble that remark!

Cheryl
02-18-2002, 03:07 PM

Hey I resemble that remark!

Then go ask a librarian how to do it. You might never have to go to the library again.

Daver
02-18-2002, 05:35 PM
I went to college for an entire semester without even knowing where the library was.:redneck

Cheryl
02-19-2002, 05:17 PM
I can't say I spend a hell of a lot of time in the library as an undergrad either. I'm making up for that now.

If anyone else here hasn't read Ball Four, you really ought to. It's one of the best baseball books ever written.