PDA

View Full Version : What they're saying about Lumsden deal

caulfield12
07-27-2006, 07:40 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/whitesox/2006-07-27-standing-pat_x.htm

caulfield12
07-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Praising Dayton
One National League scout praised Royals general manager Dayton Moore for the Mike MacDougal trade that brought pitching prospects Tyler Lumsden and Daniel Cortes to the Royals.
“(Lumsden) is the real deal,” the scout said. “Should have a nice major-league career. Polished.”

from kcstar.com

MadetoOrta
07-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Bruce Tanner was a sure thing too. Gimme a break.

Mr. White Sox
07-27-2006, 08:23 PM
I'd take a great RHP setup guy with superb stuff locked up thru 2009 who can help us now over a "sure thing" AA LHP who isn't even going to be ready for at least a year.

DMarte708
07-27-2006, 08:42 PM
I'd take a great RHP setup guy with superb stuff locked up thru 2009 who can help us now over a "sure thing" AA LHP who isn't even going to be ready for at least a year.I honestly believe Williams will regret this move. Personally, from the onset I didn't like it.

It's one thing to trade your organizations top pitching prospect for Scott Shields, or another reliable reliever with a history of success. It's quite another to trade Lumsden for Mike Fricken' MacDougal. How often will he be on the DL between now and 2010?

Ready for at least a year isn't exactly a bad thing. If Buehlre and Garcia both depart following next season, wouldn't it have been beneficial if Lumsden were available to fill in eithers spot? Or atleast compete for the position? We're not exactly stocked with SP pitching prospects.

And above every other point, we traded Lumsden WITHIN OUR DIVISION. Do we really want to opportunity to have the trade stuffed down our throats for 7 years?

caulfield12
07-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Lumsden, 23, was the 34th overall pick in the 2004 draft after completing his junior season at Clemson. He initially drew comparisons to Houston’s Andy Pettitte but didn’t pitch last season while recovering from elbow surgery.

“He had some elbow chips that needed to be cleaned up,” Moore said. “That’s not a concern. We’re very comfortable (that everything is OK).

Lumsden will be assigned initially to Class AA Wichita.
“That’s a nice pickup for the Royals,” a scout from a third team said. “Everybody thinks Lumsden is the real deal.”

Cortes, 19, was a seventh-round pick in 2005. He is 3-9 with a 4.10 ERA in 20 starts at Class A Kannapolis and will be assigned to Class A Burlington.
“He’s not a project,” Moore said. “He’s a 6-5, 200-pound right-handed pitcher with a great working arm. He’s pitching in Low-A, but he’s a guy who projects out to be a starting pitcher in the majors. He’s probably three years away or so.”

www.kcstar.com (http://www.kcstar.com)

caulfield12
07-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I think he will regret it if Buehrle never returns to form again and they have to replace another starter.

We knew that Vazquez or Garcia would be gone in the offseason and that we'd get some prospects back in return, although with their contracts and recent performance, I think we'd be hard-pressed to get the equivalent of Gio Gonzalez or Lumsden back.

There's always the possibility we can make Thornton a starter if he could learn another pitcher in the AFL or Winter Ball. He seems to have that easy, repeatable motion you look for in a starter...and it only took Liriano 18 months to master the best slider in the game.

However, Tracey, Broadway, Haeger, Liotta, McCullough...none of them would seem to project higher than a 4th starter.

If you look at the Tigers and Twins, they both have aces in the pipeline in Miller (if he signs, they're waiting on the Royals and Hochevar) and Garza with the Twins. So we're definitely a little vulnerable there.

Save McCuddy's
07-27-2006, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to annoint Lumsden. 72 K and 40 BB in 124 IP is by no means the type of line that says top of th rotation starter.

At 21, McCarthy was rushed up to Birmingham to finish the season and dominated with 29 K's in 26 IP with 6 BB's. He followed that up last year in Charlotte with 130 k's and 32 BB's in 119 IP between stints at the major league level. If Lumsden was pitching at that level, I'd lament losing him for a shot at an injury plagued fireballer. This is a heady move by KW. Lumsden's kind can be had again this year or any other year in the first few rounds of the draft. Right now, we need set up help and if MacDougal can stay healthy, we can be a 6 inning start type of team.

caulfield12
07-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Does anyone know why the White Sox passed on Matt Garza and took Broadway last year?

Remember Matt Guerrier? (although Lumsden throws much harder and is LHP)

Guerrier, 23, won 18 games last season and was named Chicago's No. 4 prospect after the 2001 season, according to Baseball America.
Littlefield isn't predicting that Guerrier will become the next Greg Maddux.
But he thinks Guerrier's pitching style is comparable to the four-time Cy Young winner.

"He's not a hard-throwing guy who's going to light up the radar gun," Littlefield said. "But he's had extremely good control."

Location appears to be Guerrier's strong suit. Drafted in the 10th round in 1999 out of Kent State University, Guerrier has walked 88 batters in 267 career innings.
It's one reason he has carved a 26-8 record and 2.80 earned run average in three minor-league seasons.
After saving 38 games in his first two seasons, Guerrier moved into a starting role last year and was a combined 18-4 with a 3.30 ERA in 27 starts at Class AA Birmingham and Class AAA Charlotte. "When someone wins a lot of games in the minor leagues, it's hard to put a finger on whether it's because he's pitching well or gets a lot of run support," Littlefield said. "But this guy throws strikes, he's smart, he uses four pitches, and he moves the ball in and out. He's got a good idea of what he's trying to do on the mound."
from pittsburghlive.com

veeter
07-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Has Kenny ever traded any pitchers, or players for that matter, that have panned out? Frankie Francisco, maybe, but he throws chairs at people. I regret the move when Lumsden does ANYTHING in the bigs. But I'm not holding my breath.

White Sox Randy
07-28-2006, 11:19 AM
I disagree. Lumsden may become a pretty decent starting pitcher in 3 or 4 years. So what?

MacDougal can be a dominating closer. We could have 2 Bobby Jenks in our bullpen RIGHT NOW.

I have always been a fan of Macdougal's. This guy has GREAT stuff. If he can stay healthy and with Cooper's help, we can have the best bullpen in baseball. I'm serious. This was a great move.

Plus, he has a lot of experience closing and has done a good job in that role. If Jenks were to go down, we are ready with a true back up.

caulfield12
07-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Josh Rupe, at one point, was thought to be a contender for the 5th starter's role in Texas but has missed most of this season

That's pretty much it, along with Gio and Lumsden...Haigwood overachieved and we were able to "sell high" like we did with Jeremy Reed/Olivo and the M's for Garcia.

Then there's Chris Young. I don't imagine Lumsden will be an All-Star, but he will be a solid pitcher for them.

The only deals that would have killed the White Sox were ones that didn't go through with Contreras (Burnett), McCarthy (Griffey) and Garland (Erstad) from our big league staff. I don't know what the supposed Manny Ramirez deal was that was close to being approved, would be interested to see.

kwolf68
07-30-2006, 05:42 PM
The problem as I see it is while pitchers like Cortes, Lumsden, Gio, Haigwood, LaMura, etc...most often won't pan out, we have really thinned down our pitching depth in the minors.

Right now, we have very little in the way of elite prospects to compete with Verlander, Bonderman, Santana, and Liriano.

Meanwhile, our starting pitching looks old and ordinary, especially when you compare it to the Twins and Tigers. I'd like to see some exciting new blood injected into our system/staff...Thornton was a brilliant pickup, as was Jenks. I'd like to see us snag a guy like that who starts.

California Sox
07-30-2006, 09:23 PM
You think our pitching is thin, check out our position players. Guys like Broadway, McCulloch, Russell, Harrell, hell, even Phillips have a shot of playing in the majors. Beyond Fields and Sweeney we might not have another major league regular in our system until you get to Carter at Great Falls.

Mr. White Sox
07-30-2006, 09:58 PM
You think our pitching is thin, check out our position players. Guys like Broadway, McCulloch, Russell, Harrell, hell, even Phillips have a shot of playing in the majors. Beyond Fields and Sweeney we might not have another major league regular in our system until you get to Carter at Great Falls.

Everyone who showed promise last year (Owens, Valido, Getz) has regressed enough to force the organization to look elsewhere. I don't think we'll see Owens as a starting OF, but from what I've heard about Valido's D he may be good enough to be a super utility guy or even a starting SS if he can get his bat going.

On the flip side, both Sweeney and Fields have improved a lot this year.

the gooch
07-31-2006, 09:28 AM
i believe rogowski will be a major leaguer somewhere too.

White Sox Randy
07-31-2006, 10:30 AM
i believe rogowski will be a major leaguer somewhere too.

I think that Rogowski can only hope to have Ross Gload's career.

Fungo
08-04-2006, 01:44 PM
From Baseball Americas Quick hits today...
• As Royals fans celebrated the signing of righthander Luke Hochevar, there was some potential bad news on the Kansas City front Thursday, as lefthander Tyler Lumsden was hit by a line drive off the bat off Tulsa second baseman Christian Colonel during the first inning of his organizational debut at Double-A Wichita. Lumsden, who came over to the Royals in the Mike MacDougal deal last week, allowed a hit, walked one and struck out one before exiting the game with an undisclosed injury. He is listed as day-to-day. Lumsden went 9-4, 2.69 in 124 innings at Double-A Birmingham prior to the trade.

Hope its nothing serious.

Britt Burns
08-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Man, tough break. Hope Tyler bounces back quickly.