PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Bueherle in 2003?

07-27-2006, 02:12 PM
He was awful for a stretch in 2003....what was he like 2-9? He got boo'd, there were signs against him when he pitched....well he finshed 14-14, meaning he turned it around and I have faith he will turn it around again.

IlliniSox
07-27-2006, 02:14 PM
I do. Good call. I'm ready to see it.

jenn2080
07-27-2006, 02:16 PM
He was awful for a stretch in 2003....what was he like 2-9? he got Boo'd, there were signs against him when he pitched....well he finshed 14-14, meaning he turned it around and I have faith he will turn it around again.

good optimism. burls is one of my favorites and i would like nothing more then to seem him turn it around and i truely believe he will. last fri he didnt pitch bad all but one inning. he can do it

pasquasroachclip
07-27-2006, 02:19 PM
He lost 9 straight in 03, started 2-10. The problem is if it takes him 9 starts to get himself strightened out again, you might already be out of the playoff race by then.

Jurr
07-27-2006, 02:21 PM
I just posted about this. He moved his feet to the left side of the rubber, and POOF! Mark Buehrle was back.

07-27-2006, 02:22 PM
He lost 9 straight in 03, started 2-10. The problem is if it takes him 9 starts to get himself strightened out again, you might already be out of the playoff race by then.

Hopefully it won't take him 9 games, but the point of the my thread was he has been thru the crapper before and worked his way out of it....I don't think he is hurt, I don't think he's tired, I just think he is in another funk and he will be fine....hell he was 2-10 and finshed 14- 14 so he went 12-4 the rest of the way that year....he'll be OK

Jurr
07-27-2006, 02:28 PM
If you throw at bats and rely on your movement, you better have your good movement or you're in trouble. He's been there and he's gotten himself right. Give it time.

DaleJRFan
07-27-2006, 02:34 PM
If you throw at bats and rely on your movement, you better have your good movement or you're in trouble. He's been there and he's gotten himself right. Give it time.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_118120.jpg

"Who is Mark Buehrle?"

MadetoOrta
07-27-2006, 02:37 PM
It's ironic you posted the famous Maddux "Who's Mark Buehrle?" remark because they're such similar pitchers. Maddux too has had some streaks where you wonder if he'd ever get another batter out. He figured it out. I have confidence Mark will rebound and soon.

simbro
07-27-2006, 02:38 PM
bueherle is the one pitcher i do not worry about. he seems to hit some rough times every so often but always comes out of it and gets it going.

Jurr
07-27-2006, 02:38 PM
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_118120.jpg

"Who is Mark Buehrle?"
Great example of a guy that throws at bats. However, this human being is just a man amongst boys. Has been his whole career. Now that his arm is finally wearing down (age will do that to you), Maddux just can't do what he used to do.

This is another good point about Buehrle. Tiny changes in your arm, be it adding strength, losing or gaining flexibility, or having a tired shoulder, can all change your pitch movement slightly. When this happens, you better make adjustments, because that pitch is going to be fractions of an inch from where you want it. This fraction can easily be the difference from a chopper to short or a shot to the gap.

pasquasroachclip
07-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Looking back at his '03 slump, in that 12 game stretch (he had 3 nds), he got shelled a few times, but he also had 6 quality starts, fwiw. He's not even giving them that this time around.

Chicken Dinner
07-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Hopefully it won't take him 9 games, but the point of the my thread was he has been thru the crapper before and worked his way out of it....I don't think he is hurt, I don't think he's tired, I just think he is in another funk and he will be fine....hell he was 2-10 and finshed 14- 14 so he went 12-4 the rest of the way that year....he'll be OK

I'm starting to hate that word:

Main Entry: 3funk
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps from obsolete Dutch dialect (Flanders) fonck
1 a : a state of paralyzing fear b : a depressed state of mind
2 : one that funks : COWARD (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/coward)
3 : SLUMP (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/slump+)1 <an economic funk> <the team went into a funk>

Britt Burns
07-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Buehrle will be fine. Bank on it.

TDog
07-27-2006, 02:50 PM
That bad start at the time was attributed to contract negotiations falling through on the eve of the season. There also were some terrible breaks. He would have been out of a first inning against the A's, but for a dropped 2-out bases loaded pop up (Valentin, I think) and went on to lose. There was also some weird thing involving fog as I recall. Maybe that was in the same game.

35th&Shields
07-27-2006, 02:52 PM
I think that was after he turned down a contract extension in 2002 and everyone was saying he (and his agent) made a huge mistake and they should have taken the money earlier. You're right, he came around. Buehrle is no flash in the pan, he'll pull it together.

pasquasroachclip
07-27-2006, 02:57 PM
That bad start at the time was attributed to contract negotiations falling through on the eve of the season. There also were some terrible breaks. He would have been out of a first inning against the A's, but for a dropped 2-out bases loaded pop up (Valentin, I think) and went on to lose. There was also some weird thing involving fog as I recall. Maybe that was in the same game.

I remember that game-it was Jiminez that dropped the popup. It's funny about the contract negotiations, because on the radio this weekend (it was either Levine or Offman) they reported that the Sox and Buehrle had preliminary talks about an extention, right around the time this streak started.

07-27-2006, 02:59 PM

D'Angelo Jimenez droped the ball in Oak...the fog game was in Chicago....no excuse there, A's had to play in the fog too!

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 02:59 PM
I think that was after he turned down a contract extension in 2002 and everyone was saying he (and his agent) made a huge mistake and they should have taken the money earlier. You're right, he came around. Buehrle is no flash in the pan, he'll pull it together.I didn't buy the contract explanation at the time and I still don't. Pitching mechanics are so finely tuned that the slightest, almost invisible change has enormous effects. In 2003, just moving to the other side of the pitching rubber made the difference. Does anyone think Cooper and Buehrle haven't been watching film until their eyes are bloodshot? He clearly needs to tweak his mechanics, but just where isn't so easy to determine. Sometimes it's a matter of trial and error. They'll figure it out. I just hope it's soon.

TDog
07-27-2006, 03:34 PM
I didn't buy the contract explanation at the time and I still don't. Pitching mechanics are so finely tuned that the slightest, almost invisible change has enormous effects. In 2003, just moving to the other side of the pitching rubber made the difference. Does anyone think Cooper and Buehrle haven't been watching film until their eyes are bloodshot? He clearly needs to tweak his mechanics, but just where isn't so easy to determine. Sometimes it's a matter of trial and error. They'll figure it out. I just hope it's soon.

I didn't say I bought the contract negotiations excuse. The fact that Buehrle eventually recovered is what I took away from it. The fact that he hasn't worked it out yet doesn't mean he isn't working on it.

As for maligning Valentin, I apologize. I didn't see the game on television. He probably made other errors while Buehrle was pitching, though.

slavko
07-27-2006, 06:15 PM
I remember that game-it was Jiminez that dropped the popup. It's funny about the contract negotiations, because on the radio this weekend (it was either Levine or Offman) they reported that the Sox and Buehrle had preliminary talks about an extention, right around the time this streak started.

"Offman" is spelled Ofman. Learn it. (But don't take it personally, I'm only here to help.)

07-27-2006, 06:27 PM

We are 5 starts into it. Hopefully he can do it in 5 this time around! :smile:

StatHead21
07-27-2006, 07:12 PM
That was the best 2-9 a pitcher could possibly have....

batmanZoSo
07-27-2006, 07:16 PM
These last few starts were much worse than the 2003 Buehrle during that bad run he had. He wasn't exactly stellar, but he couldn't buy a damn break that year until he turned it around in the second half.

I do have faith that'll he'll get it together before it's all said and done just like the team as a whole. I'm growing more impatient with each every day, but I still have faith...

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 07:47 PM
These last few starts were much worse than the 2003 Buehrle during that bad run he had. He wasn't exactly stellar, but he couldn't buy a damn break that year until he turned it around in the second half.

I do have faith that'll he'll get it together before it's all said and done just like the team as a whole. I'm growing more impatient with each every day, but I still have faith...He had a few stinkeroos in that stretch in 2003.

HaroMaster87
07-27-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm glad I saw this thread...I was just gonna start one asking if anyone had an opinion on what is wrong with him right now. He is probably my favorite player and I got into a heated argument with a a Scrub fan today about him. I argued that he cant just suddenly suck after 5 years of being so good - it just doesnt happen like that...not at his age, unless he's hurt...

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm glad I saw this thread...I was just gonna start one asking if anyone had an opinion on what is wrong with him right now. He is probably my favorite player and I got into a heated argument with a a Scrub fan today about him. I argued that he cant just suddenly suck after 5 years of being so good - it just doesnt happen like that...not at his age, unless he's hurt...Or unless he got traded to the Cubs.:cool: