PDA

View Full Version : BA on Kyle McCulloch

maurice
07-27-2006, 02:06 PM
McCulloch Shutting Them Down

The knock on Kyle McCulloch during his college career was his lack of dominance. While noted for his feel for pitching at Texas, McCulloch was rarely overpowering and considered a safe choice by the White Sox at No. 29 overall, as the kind of pitcher who profiles best in the middle of a rotation.

In the Rookie-level Pioneer League, the righthander is trying to change his profile. The former Longhorn didn't allow a run over five innings yesterday, walking none and striking out 10 in the process. It was McCulloch's second straight start with no runs allowed--he threw six shutout innings last Thursday.

"He mixed his pitches nicely," Great Falls pitching coach Curt Hasler told the Great Falls Tribune. "He's got a plus changeup and a plus breaking ball, along with pretty good command of a fastball. Whenever you put those things together, it usually spells success."

All of the four hits McCulloch allowed came in the first two innings. He retired the last 10 batters he faced, six via the strikeout. In five innings, McCulloch threw just 79 pitches.

"Early on my tempo was a little off and I was getting behind. I kind of had to battle that throughout the game," he said. "But once I got it, man, I felt real good. Felt like I was getting ahead and putting them away with all four of my pitches."

McCulloch's first professional win was earned by throwing strikes, a trait he was lauded for in college.

"He's good. He commanded all of his pitches real well," Missoula first baseman Shea McFeely told the Tribune. "He was able to locate where he wanted and have us chase pitches that were out of the (strike) zone."

His recent string of good starts come off a pair of forgettable outings in which McCulloch allowed 14 runs, 11 unearned, over two starts. The first rounder has not blamed his defense however, instead finding other ways to explain his lackluster outings.

"I was maybe pressing a little bit there, but then after you get in the swing of things it's just baseball," McCulloch told the newspaper. "You just have to try to get the job done."

Linky (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/news/262005.html)

Mr. White Sox
07-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Sounds promising. Is a promotion to Kanny not far off?

Randar68
07-27-2006, 02:49 PM

With Cortes being traded, there is an opening in Kanny.

Britt Burns
07-27-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm surprised he has lasted in GF this long already. The Sox are agressive about promoting their top prospects, especially pitchers.

Frater Perdurabo
07-27-2006, 02:53 PM

This looks good to me as well, but is he pitching at a level below that to which he was accustomed in the Big 12 Conference? I'm optimistic; let's hope he replicates these results at the higher levels.

California Sox
07-27-2006, 04:29 PM
It's nice but hard to say it matters much until he does it at AA or above. A guy with fastball command and a breaking ball he can throw for strikes is always going to dominate low-level hitters. Seems like a Broadway clone. Personally, I felt Lumsden>Broadway but organization must think otherwise.