PDA

View Full Version : Any HoFers on your sox?

"wrong" sox fan
07-27-2006, 12:37 PM
thread title pretty much sums up the queston: Any future hall of famers on the white sox?

Lets see starting with the offense:

Thome

The case for: .970 career OPS (18th in history), 450+ home runs, 1300 BBs, 4th best At bat per HR in history (!!!) OPS+ of 149 (39 in history) 1200 runs, 1200 RBIs. The guy has been one of the best sluggers in the game for the past decade with little fan fare. Baseball Reference lists his similar battes as Delgado, Juan Gone, Albert Belle and Manny Ramirez. Through the age of 34 his most similar comp was Jose Canseco.

The case for nay: Pretty much only the stupid crap points like he stikes out a lot and has never won any rings. It's pretty clear Thome belongs in the hall, the queston is where amonst the greatest hitters ever he belongs.

Chances of making the hall B+

Konerko

Case for, At the age of 30 he had 230 homers. He could maybe reach 500 if he stays healthy and does not regress.

Case against, While he's been a very good hitter he's never had an OPS above .910, though he should break that this season. He plays the wrong pos. since we've seen a heck of a lot of offensive power houses at first over the last 20 years.

Chances of making the hall D

Dye

Case for:
None really but boy oh boy what a season he is having. If Dye could have avoided injuries earlier in his career who knows. The White Sox are making out pretty well on the Dye contract.

If this thread creates any interest maybe we'll talk about the pitching.

kevingrt
07-27-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm just going to say Jon Garland is 26 and Joe Crede is 27. That is all I am going to say.

MVP
07-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Thome for sure. Buerhle maybe (not with the way he's pitching right now of course). I say Buerhle because he reminds me so much of guys like Glavine and Maddux- guys who didn't overpower hitters but still won a lot of games and had good ERAs. Buerhle seems to me to be the type of pitcher that can pitch for a long time and rack up a ton of wins in his career.

"wrong" sox fan
07-27-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm just going to say Jon Garland is 26 and Joe Crede is 27. That is all I am going to say.

I didn't bother talking about Crede and Garland due to age, though at this point niehter has done anything to make me think they'll be in the hall.

Crede who is having a very good season in 06 at the age of 27 has nevefr been a good offensive player his OPS+ sits at 93 comming into this season.

Garland has been very solid for all but one year of his career and very good in 05. Though at 25 it's pretty safe to say what you see in Garland is going to be mostly what you get with him, he's got a pretty long track record for a pitcher of his age, a good to very good starter.

A. Cavatica
07-27-2006, 12:54 PM

And it's a good thing you left it at that, because implying that the first few years of their careers resemble HOF careers would have been really stupid.

Minnie Me
07-27-2006, 12:54 PM
In my own hall of fame which resides in a cornfield in Iowa:

Joe Crede-best Sox RH hitting 3rd base (sorry beltin)
AJ-best LH catcher in sox history

That is all. (mags at peak value still better than dye this year)

"wrong" sox fan
07-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Thome for sure. Buerhle maybe (not with the way he's pitching right now of course). I say Buerhle because he reminds me so much of guys like Glavine and Maddux- guys who didn't overpower hitters but still won a lot of games and had good ERAs. Buerhle seems to me to be the type of pitcher that can pitch for a long time and rack up a ton of wins in his career.

What shocks me about Buerhle everytime I see him pitch is the fact that he's only 27. Over the past 5 years he's been one of the best pitchers in the AL. Great pitcher, like anyone at the age of 27 though he's going to need some luck and health in the future. I'd say that he's got a very real shot though.

downstairs
07-27-2006, 12:59 PM
How about Ozzie for manager?

UofCSoxFan
07-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Jose Contreras would have a shot if his stats/performance from Cuba were taken into consideration...which unfortunately probably will not. He came to the US to late in his career. However, if the Hall ever does something honoring International stars, Jose would definitely be in.

Also, what about Brandon McCarthy?

spiffie
07-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Considering the trades we've rejected involving him, he better be something close to it.

"wrong" sox fan
07-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Jose Contreras would have a shot if his stats/performance from Cuba were taken into consideration...which unfortunately probably will not. He came to the US to late in his career. However, if the Hall ever does something honoring International stars, Jose would definitely be in.

Contreras will have the same problem Tiant had, HOF talent, half of his career was in CUba though. Sadly he won't make it.

About McCarthy, I usually wait for pitchers to win 15 games before calling for the hall. He's a young pitcher with a great arm... I'd be happy to see him on my team but like with all young pitchers its tough to guess how his career will pan out.

Goose
07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Contreras will have the same problem Tiant had, HOF talent, half of his career was in CUba though. Sadly he won't make it.

About McCarthy, I usually wait for pitchers to win 15 games before calling for the hall. He's a young pitcher with a great arm... I'd be happy to see him on my team but like with all young pitchers its tough to guess how his career will pan out.

FYI, Wrong, you probably don't know it yet, but teal text indicates sarcasm.

Welcome!

Tekijawa
07-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Roger Bossard is a lock in my eyes... Throw in his Family and I think there should be no doubt about it with his contributions to baseball.

mwc44
07-27-2006, 01:41 PM
:harold "HEY!!! You know, I still have an outside chance!"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/Ph_123245.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ph_123245.jpg)"And if I were still here, the question would be answered before it could be asked."

qpropaganda
07-27-2006, 05:17 PM
:harold "HEY!!! You know, I still have an outside chance!"

harold should be in there...

caulfield12
07-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Thome and that's it.

Buehrle is going to be hard-pressed to get to 200 wins. That's assuming he returns to "normal."

Jenks has a shot I guess, if he pitches like he has for say 10 years. But I'm not counting on it...and Goose Gossage didn't even make the Hall of Fame.

Konerko, at best, is one of those Fred McGriff/Palmeiro types that quietly puts up great numbers but will fall just short. He hasn't consistently come close to winning a league MVP like Thomas did.

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Thome and that's it.

Buehrle is going to be hard-pressed to get to 200 wins. That's assuming he returns to "normal."

Jenks has a shot I guess, if he pitches like he has for say 10 years. But I'm not counting on it...and Goose Gossage didn't even make the Hall of Fame.

Konerko, at best, is one of those Fred McGriff/Palmeiro types that quietly puts up great numbers but will fall just short. He hasn't consistently come close to winning a league MVP like Thomas did.Buehrle has 94 after 5 1/2 years of starting. You expect him to retire at age 33?

JB98
07-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Thome is the only one, I would say.

caulfield12
07-27-2006, 07:00 PM
I don't know that I can confidently state Buehrle will win 200 games in his career any more than I can state Mark Mulder would do the same.

I probably would be a LITTLE more likely to go with Buehrle because of Mulder's injury, but neither looks to be a sure bet right now.

StatHead21
07-27-2006, 08:14 PM

I'll bet my life neither of them will make it, to make the hall you have to be great from start to finish.

Scottzilla
07-27-2006, 08:16 PM
I'll bet my life neither of them will make it, to make the hall you have to be great from start to finish.

i think theres more than a few players in the hall who had rough/ slow starts to there careers

35th&Shields
07-27-2006, 08:21 PM

Today was A-Rod's 31st birthday. He's a sure-fire HOFer. I don't think an additional 4 years puts Crede in that kind of category, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

35th&Shields
07-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Konerko, at best, is one of those Fred McGriff/Palmeiro types that quietly puts up great numbers but will fall just short.
Konerko won a World Series at a relatively young age. Championships matter. McGriff won a WS with the Braves (I think) but he also compiled his stats over 19 years. Palmeiro? He'll forever have the taint of steroids on him and he never won a championship.

fquaye149
07-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Today was A-Rod's 31st birthday. He's a sure-fire HOFer. I don't think an additional 4 years puts Crede in that kind of category, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

A-Rod is one of the greatest baseball players of all time. There's a difference between an A-Rod and borderline hall of famer (for instance: could Rolen be a hall of famer? Maybe, maybe not....but he's no A-Rod nevertheless)

fquaye149
07-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Konerko won a World Series at a relatively young age. Championships matter. McGriff won a WS with the Braves (I think) but he also compiled his stats over 19 years. Palmeiro? He'll forever have the taint of steroids on him and he never won a championship.

Are you saying Konerko has a chance to make the hall of fame?

Based on what he's done so far, not a chance...but it's always possible...he could start compiling some monster numbers here in his 30's...that's what it's going to take...about 5 or 6 straight years of 40-50 home runs, .300+BA

DSpivack
07-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Thome is the only player on this roster that'll make the HOF. Thomas the only one from last year.