PDA

View Full Version : what's with all the baserunning blunders?

JermaineDye05
07-27-2006, 11:28 AM
since the allstar break we've seen many brain cramps on the basepaths theres 3 that stick out mostly in my mind, 2 from the new york series and 1 from the twinkie series (I dont count gooch's cause that was just aggressive baserunning and a close play). The ones I'm talking about are of course Thome not sliding into 2nd, and the two outs made at home with nobody out, Gooch in New York and PK yesterday. What is going on are these just simple brain cramps or is Joey actually telling them to run, each time this has happened it has cost us a run and an inning, I'm sick and tired of just giving the opposition an out. Whatever the problem is, Joey Cora or other coaches, or just simple brain cramps, this needs to stop

DaleJRFan
07-27-2006, 11:33 AM
You forgot Gload and Dye not tagging on a deep fly to the warning track in RF during the Red Sox series. That play was FUGLY.

jenn2080
07-27-2006, 11:36 AM
since the allstar break we've seen many brain cramps on the basepaths theres 3 that stick out mostly in my mind, 2 from the new york series and 1 from the twinkie series (I dont count gooch's cause that was just aggressive baserunning and a close play). The ones I'm talking about are of course Thome not sliding into 2nd, and the two outs made at home with nobody out, Gooch in New York and PK yesterday. What is going on are these just simple brain cramps or is Joey actually telling them to run, each time this has happened it has cost us a run and an inning, I'm sick and tired of just giving the opposition an out. Whatever the problem is, Joey Cora or other coaches, or just simple brain cramps, this needs to stop

Paulie also had another one around the same time as THome at 2nd. He looked scared to slide. Like he was going to break a nail or something:o:

JermaineDye05
07-27-2006, 11:37 AM
You forgot Gload and Dye not tagging on a deep fly to the warning track in RF during the Red Sox series. That play was FUGLY.

good point my bad, I was only thinking back after the allstar break, cant believe I forgot that ugly play

CaptainBallz
07-27-2006, 11:40 AM

Let's not forget Cora sending AJ..AJ!!!!... last Friday against Texas on a ball that was being thrown in while AJ was rounding third. He was out by no less than 7.2 miles. :angry:

So yeah, it's been a combination of Cora's perpetual motion arm and heads down base running. In Cora's amazing spinning arm's defense, he did hold Gload at third on a double which eventually lead to that sweet sac fly blunder vs. Boston... Geez, we're so frickin' lucky they won that game...

bluestar
07-27-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't know that yesterday's play was a baserunning blunder so much as it was a questionable managerial move. Konerko was running on contact. Joey didn't "send" Konerko based on the play. One can question whether a contact play should be invoked when Konerko is the runner, but I wouldn't call it a baserunning blunder.

When a team is slumping, everything gets magnified.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2006, 12:04 PM
They simply aren't playing Ozzie-Ball. I can't explain it.

Lip

wilburaga
07-27-2006, 12:11 PM
I don't know that yesterday's play was a baserunning blunder so much as it was a questionable managerial move. Konerko was running on contact. Joey didn't "send" Konerko based on the play. One can question whether a contact play should be invoked when Konerko is the runner, but I wouldn't call it a baserunning blunder.

When a team is slumping, everything gets magnified.

Just what I was thinking. First and third, nobody out, the runner on third goes on any ground ball to stay out of the double play. It was a tough play for the third baseman, he made it, they won, we lost, let's get back on track tomorrow.

W