PDA

View Full Version : Why all of the Podsednik hate around here?

Thome25
07-27-2006, 08:32 AM
I know that Pods hasn't been playing up to his own standards this season but why all of the Podsednik hate around here lately?

I know he isn't as good defensively and has obviously lost a step on the basepaths but I'd take his defense in left field over the "Carlos Lee days" out there anyday of the week. Carlos used to look like he had the refridgerator AND the kitchen sink on his back out there.

Also, I think Pods deserves the benefit of the doubt because after all, he did win us game 2 of the World Series last year. Even in his current form, he is still better than most of the leadoff hitters we've had here in the not-so- distant past.

What do you think?

jdm2662
07-27-2006, 08:34 AM
I know that Pods hasn't been playing up to his own standards this season but why all of the Podsednik hate around here lately?

I know he isn't as good defensively and has obviously lost a step on the basepaths but I'd take his defense in left field over the "Carlos Lee days" out there anyday of the week. Carlos used to look like he had the refridgerator AND the kitchen sink on his back out there.

Also, I think Pods deserves the benefit of the doubt because after all, he did win us a game 2 of the World Series last year. Even in his current form, he is still better than most of the leadoff hitters we've had here in the not-so- distant past.

What do you think?

If we were doing that, we'd cut Pollite and Widger some slack as well. Pods hasn't been terrible overall this season, but it's pretty obvious he's a step slower. He's also hasn't exactly been great in LF. He also seems to have forgotten how to bunt. A lead-off hitter should know how to do that. I would not be surprised if Pods will not be back next season. He did very well last season, but he's not getting it done this year.

itsnotrequired
07-27-2006, 08:36 AM
If we were doing that, we'd cut Pollite and Widger some slack as well. Pods hasn't been terrible overall this season, but it's pretty obvious he's a step slower. He's also hasn't exactly been great in LF. He also seems to have forgotten how to bunt. A lead-off hitter should know how to do that. I would not be surprised if Pods will not be back next season. He did very well last season, but he's not getting it done this year.

The whole team is a "step slower". One stolen base since the All Star break...one, last in all the majors.

FedEx227
07-27-2006, 08:37 AM
He's flat out not getting on-base and not creating any runs this year. Thats the problem. He's been going in up and down slumps which as a leadoff hitter can be deadly to a team.

Thome25
07-27-2006, 08:42 AM

Sorry but last time I checked Widger didn't have a game winning hit in any of the world series games. Polittle also didn't make himself the reason why we won a game in the world series like say maybe striking out the side with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th.

Both of those scenarios would be the equivalent of Pods hitting the walkoff HR in game 2. Widger and Politte did neither. So that's bad argument right there.

With that said, Pods hasn't been nearly as bad as Widger or Politte this season.

zmz723
07-27-2006, 08:45 AM
The whole team is a "step slower". One stolen base since the All Star break...one, last in all the majors.
:o:
thats really bad

itsnotrequired
07-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Sorry but last time I checked Widger didn't have a game winning hit in any of the world series games. Polittle also didn't make himself the reason why we won a game in the world series like say maybe striking out the side with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th.

Both of those scenarios would be the equivalent of Pods hitting the walkoff HR in game 2. Widger and Politte did neither. So that's bad argument right there.

With that said, Pods hasn't been nearly as bad as Widger or Politte this season.

:rolleyes:

Politte pitched what, 31 consecutive scoreless innings of relief in 2005? Widger hit .241 as a $500,000 backup catcher and had a huge HR against the As to help break up the "West Coast Curse". But those guys had nothing to do with Pods even having a chance to hit that home run...

MsSoxVixen22
07-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Yes, Pods doesn't seem himself....as does the rest of the team. Remember last year when Pods was on the DL and the Sox went in a slump? Well, I think when Pods is BACK to being Pods (getting on base, laying the bunt down, stealing, etc.) it will be an ignitor for the Sox. Pods is the "sparkplug" of the team. When he gets on base it jumpstarts the lineup. JMHO, though. And I'm not placing the blame for the Sox playing ****ty, solely on Pods shoulders, not by any means.

itsnotrequired
07-27-2006, 08:48 AM
:o:
thats really bad

On the bright side, no one has been caught stealing either. That's the best rate in the majors.

:redneck

BeviBall!
07-27-2006, 08:49 AM
The fact he can't beat out infield hits drives me nuts and it baffles the scientific community. How can someone so fast, not beat out half the balls he's thrown out on?

jenn2080
07-27-2006, 08:52 AM

So should we use the Pods hit a walk off in game 2 forever?
Examples.
Pods has missed a few balls hit to Left. One particularly where he was doing ballarina twirls to even find the ball. Its ok he hit a HR in game 2 of the WS

Pods has struck out alot in the past few weeks. Its ok he hit a HR in game 2 of the WS.

Pods does not have an arm. Its ok he hit a HR in game 2 of the WS.

I mean seriously its like overlooking a drug addict because he is a nice guy and use to have a great life. But hey its ok if he is a drug addict. He use to have a great job and a great life. A bit off the top but you get my drift.

You answered your own questions in your original post why there is Pods hate. Pods is/was my favorite player and that has been slowly slipping.

kobo
07-27-2006, 08:53 AM

No offense, but who cares about last year? He is not getting the job done this year. And with the offensive trouble the Sox are having right now to have Pods not getting on base, not stealing bases, not providing that threat, that is causing a lot of people to become frustrated with him. Last year has nothing to do with this year. He needs to start getting on base and at least give the team a chance to score a run. The Sox need to get back to the get em on, get em over, get em in mentality that they had last year.

Thome25
07-27-2006, 08:53 AM

Politte pitched what, 31 consecutive scoreless innings of relief in 2005? Widger hit .241 as a $500,000 backup catcher and had a huge HR against the As to help break up the "West Coast Curse". But those guys had nothing to do with Pods even having a chance to hit that home run...

I'm basing my judgement of Pods on the World Series alone. NOT the entire 2005 season. I know that Widger and Politte had alot to do with the fact that we got to the World Series but, to me there is no bigger clutch hit in a season that a walkoff in the World Series. For that, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Pods hit was one of the biggest things to happen to this team in 88 years. That's bigger than whatever Widge and Politte did during the regular season.

Thome25
07-27-2006, 08:58 AM
So should we use the Pods hit a walk off in game 2 forever?
Examples.
Pods has missed a few balls hit to Left. One particularly where he was doing ballarina twirls to even find the ball. Its ok he hit a HR in game 2 of the WS

Pods has struck out alot in the past few weeks. Its ok he hit a HR in game 2 of the WS.

Pods does not have an arm. Its ok he hit a HR in game 2 of the WS.

I mean seriously its like overlooking a drug addict because he is a nice guy and use to have a great life. But hey its ok if he is a drug addict. He use to have a great job and a great life. A bit off the top but you get my drift.

You answered your own questions in your original post why there is Pods hate. Pods is/was my favorite player and that has been slowly slipping.

i'm not saying to use his hit to overlook every little thing. But as for his season overall goes, cut the guy some slack.

His hit was one of the biggest things to happen to this team in 88 years. It will go down in White Sox lore forever. We should be with Pods not against him.

It seems like we all forgot about last season all of a sudden and it's becoming "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately".

i'll agree Pods isn't himself, but he's still a better leadoff hitter than we've had in the past. Even playing the way he is now.

itsnotrequired
07-27-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm basing my judgement of Pods on the World Series alone. NOT the entire 2005 season. I know that Widger and Politte had alot to do with the fact that we got to the World Series but, to me there is no bigger clutch hit in a season that a walkoff in the World Series. For that, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Pods hit was one of the biggest things to happen to this team in 88 years. That's bigger than whatever Widge and Politte did during the regular season.

This line of thinking is extremely flawed. NO ONE on this team deserves any type of "pass" for what they did in 2005, World Series or otherwise. Pods HR was no doubt a very clutch, very important hit but again, the whole team contributed to him getting that hit. Say Politte had a few 2006-esque pitching performances and cost the Sox a couple games. Say Widger didn't get that HR against the As and the Sox drop that game. Now the Sox are in a position to not even make the playoffs. Pointing out one feat by one player and claiming that was the reason the Sox won it all is goofy but still not as goofy as "cutting the guy some slack" this season for 5 seconds worth of effort from last season.

samram
07-27-2006, 09:02 AM

So the justification for not criticizing the leadoff hitter is that he's not as bad as the backup catcher who the team got off a softball team or the flash in the pan middle reliever whose arm apparently fell off? Sorry, that doesn't fly. Pods is a player with a limited skill set and the one major skill he has isn't being utilized because 1) he's not in a position to use it (i.e. getting on base), and 2) that skill has diminished due to injury. All this adds up to Pods not being a very valuable player on this team.

CommanderPudge72
07-27-2006, 09:02 AM
I was never comfortable with his defense, even in those crazy days of good ol' 05...that is why I cringe when I hear this moving him to center biz....c'mon.

(I do an impression of Pods getting under a fly that usually gets a laugh, but the bad point, I thought I was being serious...badumbump)

I do like the way he can workout an opposing pitcher when he is on his game..."on his game" being important there.

jenn2080
07-27-2006, 09:06 AM
I was never comfortable with his defense, even in those crazy days of good ol' 05...that is why I cringe when I hear this moving him to center biz....c'mon.

(I do an impression of Pods getting under a fly that usually gets a laugh, but the bad point, I thought I was being serious...badumbump)

I do like the way he can workout an opposing pitcher when he is on his game..."on his game" being important there.

has anyone really saw that this year? Pods looks like my brothers little league outfielders trying to catch a ball....which way did it go which way did it go.

Thome25
07-27-2006, 09:07 AM
This line of thinking is extremely flawed. NO ONE on this team deserves any type of "pass" for what they did in 2005, World Series or otherwise. Pods HR was no doubt a very clutch, very important hit but again, the whole team contributed to him getting that hit. Say Politte had a few 2006-esque pitching performances and cost the Sox a couple games. Say Widger didn't get that HR against the As and the Sox drop that game. Now the Sox are in a position to not even make the playoffs. Pointing out one feat by one player and claiming that was the reason the Sox won it all is goofy but still not as goofy as "cutting the guy some slack" this season for 5 seconds worth of effort from last season.

Pods isn't terrible though. I'm not saying he's allowed to suck because of the hit but, he's not terrible like Widge and Polittle were this year.

He doesn't exactly stink this year. And he's still a good leadoff hitter. He's just not as good as last year. He also doesn't deserve to be kicked to the curb with a "see ya thanks for all the great memories in 2005" either.

He should have a special place in the hearts of the fans that's my point. "Cut him some slack" was probably the wrong wording to use.

GregoryEtc
07-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Also, I think Pods deserves the benefit of the doubt because after all, he did win us game 2 of the World Series last year.

Well in all fairness, it was actually a bad play by Pods that made his home run necessary. A good throw from Podsednik from left in the top of the 9th in Game 2 would have got Burke at the plate. I've watched that play dozens of times. It was a weak throw. Burke was the tying run. If he throws him out, we don't need his homer in the bottom half.

LauraJ14
07-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Lets compare some numbers:

2005/ 2006
games played 129/92
runs scored 80/66
Doubles 28/22
Triples 1/6
Hrs 0/3
RBI 25/37
BB 47/40
SO 75/64
SB 59/29
OBP .351/345
Slugging .349/.393
Avg .290/269

It looks like Scott is on pace to pass last years numbers in doubles, walks, runs scored, strikeouts and OBP.
He has surpassed already in Homers, triples and rbi's.
He has a ways to go for SB and average but overall statistically he is better this year.

Thome25
07-27-2006, 09:18 AM

2005/ 2006
games played 129/92
runs scored 80/66
Doubles 28/22
Triples 1/6
Hrs 0/3
RBI 25/37
BB 47/40
SO 75/64
SB 59/29
OBP .351/345
Slugging .349/.393
Avg .290/269

It looks like Scott is on pace to pass last years numbers in doubles, walks, runs scored, strikeouts and OBP.
He has a ways to go for SB and average but overall statistically he is better this year.

So it looks to me like his offensive numbers are BETTER than last year and people want him gone because he isn't bunting or beating out ground balls?

his defense is suspect but guess what? It has ALWAYS been suspect. Why are we surprised now?

WMG
07-27-2006, 09:19 AM
....because he can't steal on first movement anymore, and his arm is weaker than a grandma trying to do bicep curls to rehap her sore arm she received from dealing too much cribbage down at the american legion.

If this were the north side of town he would get a pass for at least two more years! Not on Kenny's watch!

Thome25
07-27-2006, 09:23 AM
....because he can't steal on first movement anymore, and his arm is weaker than a grandma trying to do bicep curls to rehap her sore arm she received from dealing too much cribbage down at the american legion.

If this were the north side of town he would get a pass for at least two more years! Not on Kenny's watch!

He's had a weak arm since we acquired him from the brewers. he hasn't been that great in the field since we got him.

He can't run on the basebaths anymore because he suffered injuries that he has probably never fully recovered from. Remember the hernia?

He is still a better than average leadoff man.

We're not talking about juan pierre here. We're talking about a better player.

CommanderPudge72
07-27-2006, 09:24 AM
has anyone really saw that this year? Pods looks like my brothers little league outfielders trying to catch a ball....which way did it go which way did it go.

It will happen from time to time, was looking good after he got out of his early funk and hit .300. For the most part, it is now on a spot basis...none in the last 2 weeks.

I always imagine Pods as the guy on the Gong Show that spins the plates on those wobbly poles when he plays a fly....(running from side to side looking up nervously, catching the plate on the end before it falls:o: )....usually that act comes after the dancing poodles....or bannanas:bandance:

lizard6king6
07-27-2006, 09:28 AM

2005/ 2006
games played 129/92
runs scored 80/66
Doubles 28/22
Triples 1/6
Hrs 0/3
RBI 25/37
BB 47/40
SO 75/64
SB 59/29
OBP .351/345
Slugging .349/.393
Avg .290/269

Im glad someone brought up these stats. The main reason I see all the blame is because we are LOSING!! Therfore losing makes people look for a scapegoat and Pods seems to be it for now. Its hard for me to look at these threads anymore because they are just so ridiculous. Im tired of losing too but lets not blame someone new every week (or Pods every week):rolleyes:

WMG
07-27-2006, 09:29 AM
He's had a weak arm since we acquied him from the brewers. he hasn't been that great in the field since we got him.

He can't run on the basebaths anymore because he suffered injuries that he has probably never fully recovered from. Remember the hernia?

He is still a better than average leadoff man.

We're not talking about juan pierre here. We're talking about a better player.

just because he has always been a sucky fielder doesn't mean that is acceptable.

he can't run the bases anymore because pitchers just hold the ball on him.

and he is an above average traditional leadoff man but average at best compared to all leadoff hitters in the mlb.

Pods is fine for me in left, but when the Soriano talk first started I couldn't believe it would be a good idea to go with a left to center combo of soriano and pods... I think our starter's era has to be up at least .5 just do to Pablo and WackMack moonlighting more than occassionally as starting outfielders.

Frater Perdurabo
07-27-2006, 09:36 AM
I think folks might be irritated because the changes in Pods' game this year are emblematic of how the team has changed since last season.

We all have rose-colored glasses about the 2005 team. For most Sox fans, Pods getting on base via bunt or infield hit, stealing second, stealing third (or advancing on an Iguchi sacrifice) was a repetitive, significant and symbolic characteristic of the 2005 team, even though that wasn't the way they played ball all the time (they still hit a ton of homers last year). They did play that ball early in the season (when Frank was injured and PK and JD were slumping horribly), when they needed a run late in the game, and in the memorable Game 4 of the World Series.

This year, it's obvious that Pods is a step slower than last year. He's had two pretty bad slumps, and is in the middle of a third one right now. Furthermore, although he is fast, he relied more on reading the pitcher, stretching his lead off first (or second) base, and timing his jumps perfectly, than he did on pure speed. He's nowhere near as fast or quick as Carl Crawford, Rickey Henderson or Vince Coleman.

Therefore, now that he has lost a step (partially due to his ongoing recovery from hernia surgery), and now that opposing teams have picked up on his tendencies (and adjust their defenses to take away the bunt/infield hit), and now with a disincentive to steal bases (if first base is open, the opposing team will just intentionally walk Thome), he seems to have changed his approach at the plate. Opposing pitchers don't want to walk him, so they throw him strikes. Consequently, after taking pitches (and frequently ending up with 0-2 counts) he's trying to drive the ball past the infield to get on base via a base hit. Since he never was a pure hitter, he's failing more often than last year.

Because the Sox offense started out so hot this year, they never had to rely on fundamental baseball to score a key run. Therefore, that's just not part of the team's skill set right now. To his credit, Ozzie is trying to get the team back to the "Ozzieball" mentality, but they have three months of "training" in the "Earl Weaver" approach to overcome.

As Pods goes, so goes the offense. Therefore, he gets a disproportionate share of the blame when things go sour.

Thome25
07-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Im glad someone brought up these stats. The main reason I see all the blame is because we are LOSING!! Therfore losing makes people look for a scapegoat and Pods seems to be it for now. Its hard for me to look at these threads anymore because they are just so ridiculous. Im tired of losing too but lets not blame someone new every week (or Pods every week):rolleyes:

My point exactly. Pods is the scapegoat because he is the easy target right now. He deserves better. He has and continues to give alot to this team.

It isn't his fault our pitchers give up all of those two out hits. Or the fact that they have been giving up so many runs that the basepaths look like a turnstyle.

Is it Pod's fault that our "big three" can't get a clutch two out hit WRISP? Stop making Pods the "whipping boy" on this team. He's better than that.

KMKsuburbannoise
07-27-2006, 09:39 AM
No need to hate on Pods. Yes he led our team's batting avergae last year but lets not forget it was only a 290. We are just not getting those lucky rolls, missed throws, dropped balls, and all around good luck like we did last year. We are still a good team though, just goin through hard times. Lets not forget last years late season slump.

MVP
07-27-2006, 09:46 AM

2005/ 2006
games played 129/92
runs scored 80/66
Doubles 28/22
Triples 1/6
Hrs 0/3
RBI 25/37
BB 47/40
SO 75/64
SB 59/29
OBP .351/345
Slugging .349/.393
Avg .290/269

This only proves that there are lies, damn lies and statistics. Looking at the statitics one would think that Pods is probably having a better season this year than he did last year. Nothing could be further from the truth. Scott had a great first half last year and since then he has been mediocore at best. Even if his numbers appear to be better, he has not done what he did for us in the first half last year, which was get on base, put pressure on the other team's defense and steal bases. We don't need Scott to hit homeruns. Three home runs from Scott don't do anything for us. We need him to do what he did in the first half last year.

russ99
07-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Therefore, now that he has lost a step (partially due to his ongoing recovery from hernia surgery), and now that opposing teams have picked up on his tendencies (and adjust their defenses to take away the bunt/infield hit), and now with a disincentive to steal bases (if first base is open, the opposing team will just intentionally walk Thome), he seems to have changed his approach at the plate. Opposing pitchers don't want to walk him, so they throw him strikes. Consequently, after taking pitches (and frequently ending up with 0-2 counts) he's trying to drive the ball past the infield to get on base via a base hit. Since he never was a pure hitter, he's failing more often than last year.

I think the most telling thing about the 2006 White Sox will be how they adjust as the rest of the league has obviously figured them out.

Maybe Pods needs to bunt more, but I think first-half 2005 Pods would have beaten the throw on that great drag bunt he had a few days ago. I think the two hernia surgeries and missing all of spring training put him way off his game, but I still believe his best baseball is ahead of him this year.

Thome25
07-27-2006, 09:56 AM
This only proves that there are lies, damn lies and statistics. Looking at the statitics one would think that Pods is probably having a better season this year than he did last year. Nothing could be further from the truth. Scott had a great first half last year and since then he has been mediocore at best. Even if his numbers appear to be better, he has not done what he did for us in the first half last year, which was get on base, put pressure on the other team's defense and steal bases. We don't need Scott to hit homeruns. Three home runs from Scott don't do anything for us. We need him to do what he did in the first half last year.

But we won the world series with Pods playing the way he did in the 2nd half of last year. Which by the way happens to be the way he's currently playing as well.

It wasn't a problem when we were cruising through the playoffs. But, all of a sudden it is now. You know why? Because we're losing and he's the scapegoat. And he shouldn't be, it isn't his fault.

jenn2080
07-27-2006, 09:59 AM
But we won the world series with Pods playing the way he did in the 2nd half of last year. Which by the way happens to be the way he's currently playing as well.

It wasn't a problem when we were cruising through the playoffs. But, all of a sudden it is now. You know why? Because we're losing and he's the scapegoat. And he shouldn't be, it isn't his fault.

no one is putting it all on Pods. vazquez...well he just blows. the 3 4 and 5 havent been doing much, hell half the line up hasnt been doing much. Brian Anderson is the only one who seemed to find his groove. The pitching other then Garland has been in a major suck fest.

JermaineDye05
07-27-2006, 09:59 AM
not only is he not running, not getting on base, and having brutal defense, but he is also making a lot of mental errors such as stealing BA's catches although Dye appears to do that too. We've also seen Pods do it with Mack and in the tiger series we noticed a little tension in the outfield with Pods, it may have just been in that game but this whole year I've had a strange feeling about Pods he just hasn't been the same since his injury, he may walk a lot but he sure does strike out looking a lot too.

chisoxmike
07-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Also, I think Pods deserves the benefit of the doubt because after all, he did win us game 2 of the World Series last year. Even in his current form, he is still better than most of the leadoff hitters we've had here in the not-so- distant past.

What do you think?

:rolling:

THAT WAS LAST YEAR! What has he done this year??? He's slower, below average in LF, and not getting on base.

Look, I'm a Podsednik fan, but he's not doing his job, plan and simple, after this season...he's good as gone. Sorry pal.

PaulDrake
07-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Where are all the saber stat heads? Historically Podsednik has been an above average fielder with a below average arm. This year he has been definitely sub par so far.

Thome25
07-27-2006, 10:06 AM
:rolling:

THAT WAS LAST YEAR! What has he done this year??? He's slower, below average in LF, and not getting on base.

Look, I'm a Podsednik fan, but he's not doing his job, plan and simple, after this season...he's good as gone. Sorry pal.

Hypothetically speaking, if Michael Jordan had a bad stretch after helping the Bulls win a championship do you think it would be acceptable for them to say "THAT WAS LAST YEAR!!" "SEE YA!!"

Pods had a big part in the Championship season last year. He even won one of the WS games for us. Give him some more time to pull outta this.

For all of those Widger and Politte comparisons, sorry but Pods' part in the championship was bigger than theirs.

jenn2080
07-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Hypothetically speaking, if Michael Jordan had a bad stretch after helping the Bulls win a championship do you think it would be acceptable for them to say "THAT WAS LAST YEAR!!" "SEE YA!!"

Pods had a big part in the Championship season last year. He even won one of the WS games for us. Give him some more time to pull outta this.

For all of those Widger and Politte comparisons, sorry but Pods' part in the championship was bigger than theirs.

You cant compare Pods to MJ. That is the funniest thing Ive ever heard. You can maybe compare him to Paxton but MJ...hold the Kool Aid please.

viagracat
07-27-2006, 10:12 AM
I too am a little concerned Pods has lost a step due to previous injury. He can take a LONG time to get down the line after he hits the ball, which is particularly noticeable as he's a lefty. Still, he has 29 SBs, and no one else is close to that number at this time. But yes, he has been hard to watch lately. Of course, so have a lot of other Sox players these days. :(:

Maybe it's time to put Ozuna in left every day for awhile and see what he can do. And although I've always liked Pods, if the right outfielder or pitcher became available for him, I'd go for it.

Thome25
07-27-2006, 10:16 AM
You cant compare Pods to MJ. That is the funniest thing Ive ever heard. You can maybe compare him to Paxton but MJ...hold the Kool Aid please.

You're missing the point I'm not saying Pods is the same caliber player in MLB that MJ was in the NBA

But, his hit in the WS is comparable to ANY of the game winning shots that MJ hit for the Bulls.

You don't just dump a player that does things like that.

Paulwny
07-27-2006, 10:23 AM
But, his hit in the WS is comparable to ANY of the game winning shots that MJ hit for the Bulls.

I guess we should have kept Blum, he was also a ws hero.
As someone else stated, ~ "thanks for yesterday, but what did you do for me today?"

Thome25
07-27-2006, 10:31 AM
I guess we should have kept Blum, he was also a ws hero.
As someone else stated, ~ "thanks for yesterday, but what did you do for me today?"

The Sox didn't dump Blum. he wanted to sign back with San Diego to be with his wife and kids. He probably would've been back too, if he wanted to.

jenn2080
07-27-2006, 10:33 AM
You're missing the point I'm not saying Pods is the same caliber player in MLB that MJ was in the NBA

you're missing the point. you dont keep a player just because of something like that. I mean sure I thank Pods everyday for that HR. I actually thank Blum too for his since he allowed me to get at least 3 hrs of sleep that night. The point is should we keep Pods just because he hit a game winning HR in game 2 even though he is not meeting the White Sox expectations? Absolutely not.

samram
07-27-2006, 10:34 AM
I think what those stats prove is that stats don't necessarily equal value.

Minnie Me
07-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Keep in mind that Ozzie is sitting Pods against tough lefties by substituting with Pablo Ozuna. I believe Pods had more AB's against lefties last year. Perhaps someone can confirm this.

"wrong" sox fan
07-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Pods. is simply not that good of a player. The white sox will have to move on sometime soon (by soon I mean over the next 2 seasons) while his bat is does not hurt the white sox that much due to Konerko, Thome and Dye (wh would have thought he'd be this good) Pods only gets on base at a .337 clip for his entire career, he also has little to no power and is below average in the OF. The guys whole game is based on speed and he's not young.

Kenny Williams is a bright guy, I'm sure he knows this and I'm sure many white sox fans will look back fondly at the Scott Podsednik era but in truth he's just not a very good ball player.

jdm2662
07-27-2006, 10:54 AM
If you want to use Paxson as an example, he hit the game winning shot in the 1993 finals. He was banged up and pretty much had nothing left in 1994. What happened? He didn't play that much, and was gone after that season. I hated seeing that, but it's the way of life. The purpose of playing sports is to win. You put your best players on the field. If one doesn't perform, you find a better replacement. I enjoyed the 2005 run as much as anyone did. I also know that championship teams don't grow on trees, so I maximized my enjoyment. Pods isn't doing the things he did last year to help the team win THIS year. Therefore, he is getting grief, and it's a sure bet he won't be back next year.

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2003/01/22/ba_davis04.jpg

"Just win baby!"

soxfanatlanta
07-27-2006, 10:56 AM
As Pods goes, so goes the offense. Therefore, he gets a disproportionate share of the blame when things go sour.

A very good point. Although I would add that because he is the catalyst of the offense, he should be the first person to examine when things are not going well. I would never dump all of the blame on one player, that would be foolish. But if you are Thome, and PK, and there is nobody on base, you are going to swing for the seats (what the heck - nothing to lose). He sets the table and mindset for this team's offense, for better or worse.

Pods is what he is: a streaky hitter. I would not be surprised if he was wearing a different uniform when his contract expires. But as long as he wears the pin stripes, I will cheer for him.

Chisox1500
07-27-2006, 11:00 AM
I'll tell you why all the hate. Pods sucks. He is a horrible outfielder. He has the worst outfield arm I have ever seen. (Even worse than Lance Johnson>) He is a streaky hitter with no power, and he doesn't steal bases anymore.

Without stolen bases he is less than useless. Corner outfielders without speed or power can be found in the independent league. Last year was fun but Pods needs to be gone asap.

Disagree? I know Kenny Williams doesn't or he wouldn't be degrading his defense in print or trying so hard to replace Pods.

jenn2080
07-27-2006, 11:03 AM
My point exactly. Pods is the scapegoat because he is the easy target right now. He deserves better. He has and continues to give alot to this team.

It isn't his fault our pitchers give up all of those two out hits. Or the fact that they have been giving up so many runs that the basepaths look like a turnstyle.

Is it Pod's fault that our "big three" can't get a clutch two out hit WRISP? Stop making Pods the "whipping boy" on this team. He's better than that.

You started a thread about Pods so sure it seems like he is the scape goat. Of course we arent going to talk about Iguchi in a Pods thread. He is not the only reason for the Sox slump. He is sharing that with 24 other people...give or take a few. If Pods was the "scapegoat" you would see alot more official Pods sucks threads. There has been plenty of pitcher hate going on too.

russ99
07-27-2006, 11:21 AM
The next time Scott steals 4 bases in a game. I'll remember to quote some of these posts. Talk about piling on a guy when he's down. :angry:

He did it earlier this year and there no reason he can't do it again. He's in a slump and doubting his abilities, just like the rest of the team.

MVP
07-27-2006, 11:42 AM

We did win the World Series last year with Podsednik and Podsednik did contribute in the postseason. That said however, we nearly lost a 15 and half game lead last year and almost found ourselves out of the playoffs based in part to Pods' injury and his declined production once he returned. Unfortunately, we have no huge lead this year. We have a deficit. I like Pods as player and he seems like a good guy. I do however believe that there is much room for an upgrade in leftfield at this time. We traded an All-Star for Pods, however Pods is not producing anywhere close to an All-Star this year. There's room for improvement at several positions on this team, LF just happens to be one of them.

"wrong" sox fan
07-27-2006, 11:44 AM
The next time Scott steals 4 bases in a game. I'll remember to quote some of these posts. Talk about piling on a guy when he's down. :angry:

He did it earlier this year and there no reason he can't do it again. He's in a slump and doubting his abilities, just like the rest of the team.

Even if he steals 25 bases in the second half he'll still not be a a good offensive player. The white sox have an awesome offense with a sub par lead off hitter. Podsednik is not a terrible player but it is very possible that he will be as he enters his 30s. Sure he was a big piece to 2005 but so was Bellhorn to Boston in 04 and Fulmer with the halos in 02.

CommanderPudge72
07-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Javy's gotta go!!!! What, oh, this is a POOODDDSSS thread...my bad.:o:

jenn2080
07-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Javy's gotta go!!!! What, oh, this is a POOODDDSSS thread...my bad.:o:

:hijacked: Javy does need to go. Maybe him and Pods can be a buy one get one free...Javy being the free one.

MikeLove
07-27-2006, 12:14 PM
I'll tell you why all the hate. Pods sucks. He is a horrible outfielder. He has the worst outfield arm I have ever seen. (Even worse than Lance Johnson>) He is a streaky hitter with no power, and he doesn't steal bases anymore.

Without stolen bases he is less than useless. Corner outfielders without speed or power can be found in the independent league. Last year was fun but Pods needs to be gone asap.

Disagree? I know Kenny Williams doesn't or he wouldn't be degrading his defense in print or trying so hard to replace Pods.

I completely agree with this except for the part about saying pods sucks. I don't think he sucks, but he is definitely starting the decline. It was said correctly that his whole game is speed and it's obvious. Look, everyone that has at least watched the majority of the sox games the last 2 years knows that pods value doesn't translate into statistics. Last year when he was going really good his stats still didn't even come close to indicating what he was doing for the team. So this year when he isn't going good I wouldnt expect it to translate into statistics either, it is something you can only really tell by watching everygame yourself.

The only thing that really reflects his performance is his stolen bases. He isn't stealing like last year and add that to the fact that hes been picked off or caught stealing a TON and it really detracts from his value.

I think it is pretty much time to accept something. We won the world series last year so no one would ever take back that pods move BUT...

we really did take an L with lee for podsednik. Lee is going to be an all-star for years to come and pods is not going to ever be better than he was last year. it was a great trade for getting podsednik when he could really really help the team for a year, but in the long run.......

I can't imagine our team being anything but better than it is right now if Lee was in left. We'd have no speed pretty much but hell let iguchi lead off and then you send the other 8 guys up there, 6 of them being able to hit 30hr or more in a season. small ball be damned, that would be a hell of a lineup

CommanderPudge72
07-27-2006, 12:21 PM
:hijacked: Javy does need to go. Maybe him and Pods can be a buy one get one free...Javy being the free one.

You're going to have to pay to unload that guy...book it.:whiner:

jenn2080
07-27-2006, 12:26 PM
You're going to have to pay to unload that guy...book it.:whiner:

we can start a collection by selling candy on the red line.

INSox56
07-27-2006, 03:16 PM
It's pretty evident that his hitting stats are up from last year, which would instinctually make you think that he's doing MUCH better than last year. However, I believe something people don't pay attention to is what he does when he's ON the basepaths. He's not generating any sort of attention or spark. He's just...well another guy on the bases. People complain that you don't want to risk running when thome's up at the plate and can drive in the runs. Well news flash, Thome doesn't always get home runs or doubles. And even IF that stolen base doesn't seem to mean anything, it still bothers the infield, bothers the pitcher, etc. Think of those shifting infielders and what they're thinking when the thome shift is on and pods is on second.......what do you do...cover third? Keep shifting Thome? That's one point.

Another is, by looking at his hitting stats, I believe that that's due to a change in his way of hitting! He hit zero triples last year...remember how he would hit last year? Little bloops...almost all the time. Little bloops to left over the IF. He's DRIVING the ball for hits this year (see: 3 home runs to zero last year). I believe that this is overinflating the perception of his overall performance because it seems like he's just becoming a hitter, not a leadoff guy who gets on however he can then screws up the defense's head by stealing.

MikeLove
07-27-2006, 04:09 PM
It's pretty evident that his hitting stats are up from last year, which would..........

Yes! great post, exactly the way i feel about the situation but you explained it very well

Scottzilla
07-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Maybe if pods is taking bigger hacks its taking him longer to get out of the box.
maybe ozzies hampering pods play by not wanting him to run with thome and paulie coming up.
so maybe a better jordan analogy is that everyone is sitting back and watching 3-4-5 swing rather than trying manufacture runs.

I like pods but even last year he was lacking as a leadoff hitter in terms of taking pitches and a decent on base percentage. I don't remember him being the greatest bunter either.

STRETCH!!!
07-27-2006, 04:40 PM
I read through all these posts. There is consensus that Pods (a) isn't terrible, (b) isn't the sole cause of our current woes, and (c) had a great half of season in 2005 and a great postseason.

I've always like Pods in terms of his hussle and demeanor. His skills are what they are, and the only thing I really hold against him is his inability to bunt.

As someone alluded to, he is going to be 31 next year. I don't think his best days are ahead of him. He's drifting toward being solidly mediocre for his position. I think his trade value is limited.

I'd like to see an upgrade next year. He was a key part of 2005, for certain. We may be able to win despite him in 2006. He won't help us that much in 2007 and beyond.

JB98
07-27-2006, 05:38 PM
WSI needs a scapegoat. Politte is gone and so is Widger.

SABRSox
07-27-2006, 05:41 PM
WSI needs a scapegoat. Politte is gone and so is Widger.

Who wants to take odds on the next scapegoat? My bet is on Joey Cora.

JB98
07-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Who wants to take odds on the next scapegoat? My bet is on Joey Cora.

That's not a bad bet, although my previous post was meant to suggest Pods is the new scapegoat. Scott is struggling without question, but so are a lot of guys. However, according to some, all this losing is Pods' fault because he is not Soriano.

Domeshot17
07-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Heres my problem with Pods

If you are struggling at the plate, dont be lazy in the OF. He doesnt hustle to balls and allows alot of runners to take an extra base. He thinks he has a gun and tries to throw out everyone, misses the cut off man, and again gives guys extra bases. He dives ALOT, and plenty of them are bad choices. I know just from playing baseball through college in the OF you are taught if the ball cant be caught, dont try and catch it. He doesnt know when to play a ball on a hop, how to take a route to it, he just dives, and Im sure he gets 100 times more coaching through the minors and pros then I ever did. He should know how to play the OF.

Second, His job is to get on base, be a tough out, steal bases, and put pressure on the opposing team. He doesnt do any of that anymore.

I dont know about you guys, but if I constantly failed at my job, and then got lazy instead of atleast working hard, I would be fired in a week.

Sorry but I dont cut anyone slack for last year. As soon as you do that, you can kiss this year goodbye, just ask the Red Sox.

CommanderPudge72
07-27-2006, 06:31 PM
we can start a collection by selling candy on the red line.

The smart*** in me is tempted to say that if we are having a candy drive for Javy, we have to stay away from the "Good & Plenty's" because nobody who watched the Sox would buy it...on either level.

How about we sell All-Day Suckers that only last till 2:00 pm?...very appropriate for Our Pal Javy.:wink:

goofymsfan
07-27-2006, 06:41 PM
A lot of people are alluding to the fact that Scotty hasn't stolen many bases this year. This year's Sox offense isn't based as much on the small ball tactics like it was last year. When the Sox picked up Thome it became clear that the long ball was going to be a big part of the Sox offense. Because of this, the strategy of stealing bases has become less important. Why risk getting thrown out at Second if you have PK and Thome coming up behind you to drive you in from first on a Homer. Whether this is true or not, that is what I've seen. Rather than working to get one run, it's been get on and let someone drive in 4 runs. They've gone away from what made them successful in 2005.

That's just the view from my little knothole.

Domeshot17
07-27-2006, 06:51 PM

you get wireless over by wrigley?

JB98
07-27-2006, 06:53 PM
A lot of people are alluding to the fact that Scotty hasn't stolen many bases this year. This year's Sox offense isn't based as much on the small ball tactics like it was last year. When the Sox picked up Thome it became clear that the long ball was going to be a big part of the Sox offense. Because of this, the strategy of stealing bases has become less important. Why risk getting thrown out at Second if you have PK and Thome coming up behind you to drive you in from first on a Homer. Whether this is true or not, that is what I've seen. Rather than working to get one run, it's been get on and let someone drive in 4 runs. They've gone away from what made them successful in 2005.

The offense wasn't based on small-ball tactics last year either. I think Pods has stopped running because he gets thrown out every time he goes.

TheKittle
07-27-2006, 07:11 PM

One player just doesn't win a game. To say Pods "won" Game 2 is getting carried away.

Pods would have never had the chance to "win" game 2 if, Iggy doesn't hit that HR in Game 2 of ALDS, El Duque doesn't pitch out of that jam in Game 3 of the ALDS, the four complete games in the ALCS. The PK HR's to get the pitches the lead before they took the mound.

Pods hasn't played as well as he did in 2005. His short career shows he has a good season followed by a decent/bad season.

BTW the TEAM won the game 2 of the WS. I didn't see Pods 1 and the Astros 0.

StatHead21
07-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Lack of hustle, lack of hitting, lack of defense, lack of just about everything.

He's doing a great job of helping the Tigers, Twins and Yankees by being absolutly worthless at the top of the line up.

Chisox003
07-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Lack of hustle, lack of hitting, lack of defense, lack of just about everything.

He's doing a great job of helping the Tigers, Twins and Yankees by being absolutly worthless at the top of the line up.
Why do you always seem like such a bitter ass hole?

Seriously man, give it up.

StatHead21
07-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Why do you always seem like such a bitter ass hole?

Seriously man, give it up.

Because I try to evaluate the team without looking at the jersey they are wearing, you should try it some time.

Podsednik hasn't been an asset to the team this season and that is a fact. Yeah he helped them win last year but this is a different year, if you want to hold on to the past and hope the heros of the 2005 team stay with the Sox forever go ahead and live in your fairy tale world.

Chisox003
07-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Because I try to evaluate the team without looking at the jersey they are wearing, you should try it some time.

Podsednik hasn't been an asset to the team this season and that is a fact. Yeah he helped them win last year but this is a different year, if you want to hold on to the past and hope the heros of the 2005 team stay with the Sox forever go ahead and live in your fairy tale world.
Ok, it's one thing to try and look at the team objectively, that I have no problem with. It's when post, after post after post by one person is constant negativity, which yours are 99% of the time. I'm not about to get in a **** flinging contest with you about it, but honestly, give up the whole image you seem to try and be building as WSI's hard ass.

It's ridiculous.

jenn2080
07-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Pods is not the scape goat of the whole team. The focus in this thread is Pods not anyone else hence Why all of the Podsednik hate around here? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1264506#post1264506) So obviously this thread is going to come out to be Pods as the scape goat.

Was Widger and Pollite scapgoats? Well not really. They were not doing well so it wasnt like we were ****ting on them for ****s and giggles. They didnt add any real value to the 2006 White Sox and in case anyone missed Pollite pitching he flat out sucked. Do we want to recall how many runs he gave up when he was pitching? I can see if we were complaining and started a 25 page thread about Iguchi or Dye in there random bad days at the plate but that is not the case.

CommanderPudge72
07-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Was Widger and Pollite scapgoats? Well not really. They were not doing well so it wasnt like we were ****ting on them for ****s and giggles. They didnt add any real value to the 2006 White Sox and in case anyone missed Pollite pitching he flat out sucked. Do we want to recall how many runs he gave up when he was pitching? I can see if we were complaining and started a 25 page thread about Iguchi or Dye in there random bad days at the plate but that is not the case.

Don't ask her, if you don't want to know...:D:

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 08:00 PM

That's just the view from my little knothole.You wouldn't think you'd have to point this out to people. Seems pretty obvious to anyone who's been watching.

samram
07-27-2006, 08:28 PM
The offense wasn't based on small-ball tactics last year either. I think Pods has stopped running because he gets thrown out every time he goes.

Thank you. I'm not sure why so many people are so intent on putting the small ball tag on last year's team or the big ball tag or whatever on this year's team and on earlier teams. The fact is when they didn't hit homers, they didn't score much, no matter what Pods did. Same as this year. Same as 2003 and 2004.

Grzegorz
07-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Maybe it's time to put Ozuna in left every day for awhile and see what he can do.

And the over/under on the number of gaffs he'd commit in the outfield would be???

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Thank you. I'm not sure why so many people are so intent on putting the small ball tag on last year's team or the big ball tag or whatever on this year's team and on earlier teams. The fact is when they didn't hit homers, they didn't score much, no matter what Pods did. Same as this year. Same as 2003 and 2004.Not true. I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of RBI off HR is far higher this year. How many times last year did you see them score a run in the first inning without the benefit of a hit? Walk, steal, bunt, sac fly. Even beyond the one run, it has a psychological effect on a team.

2005: Pods had 59 SB and 23 CS (72%)
2006: Pods had 29 SB and 12 CS (percentage plummetted to 71%)

The big difference is in the number of attempts: 82 in 129 games in 2005 vs 41 in 92 games in 2006. The reason the attempts are down should be pretty obvious. With Thome, Konerko and Dye hitting everything into orbit for the first two months, it's a bad risk to try to steal bases. Trouble is, once you stop playing that type of baseball you don't just flip a switch and turn it back on again.

CommanderPudge72
07-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Not true. I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of RBI off HR is far higher this year. How many times last year did you see them score a run in the first inning without the benefit of a hit? Walk, steal, bunt, sac fly. Even beyond the one run, it has a psychological effect on a team.

2005: Pods had 59 SB and 23 CS (72%)
2006: Pods had 29 SB and 12 CS (percentage plummetted to 71%)

The big difference is in the number of attempts: 82 in 129 games in 2005 vs 41 in 92 games in 2006. The reason the attempts are down should be pretty obvious. With Thome, Konerko and Dye hitting everything into orbit for the first two months, it's a bad risk to try to steal bases. Trouble is, once you stop playing that type of baseball you don't just flip a switch and turn it back on again.

Bingo...we have gone through these slumps before when we were a station to station club...we are playing like it now...we have the highest percentage in the league of scoring off the HR.

Our mentality has returned...don't risk running out of a situation, because Thome, Paulie, or Dye may hit a long one.

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Bingo...we have gone through these slumps before when we were a station to station club...we are playing like it now...we have the highest percentage in the league of scoring off the HR.

Our mentality has returned...don't risk running out of a situation, because Thome, Paulie, or Dye may hit a long one.You'd think with all the hullabaloo they made last year about getting away from that type of baseball and the obvious success it brought, they wouldn't be so easily seduced by it. The siren song of the long ball is powerfull stuff.

whitesoxfan14
07-27-2006, 09:10 PM
i have no problem with Pods. I own a pods jersey, i cheer for him when i 'm at the games. I will admitt there is something going on with him though. He does get on base sometimes, but maybe not as much as i'd like to see him on base. we'll see what happens though.

rowand33
07-27-2006, 09:16 PM
The Pods hate around here is because he isn't very good.

I like Pods, and I'd like to have him on the team still...

as a 4th outfielder.

I honestly don't think that he's a starter, let alone a leadoff man, anymore.

Pods is a speedy little leadoff guy who doesn't have his legs under him anymore. that isn't a good thing.

he isn't terribly good in the outfield and he's an average hitter at best.

the numbers Pods is giving us would be fine if he was batting 9th instead of leadoff, but there are numerous players that I would take over him at leadoff.

Soriano is one, so is Juan Pierre.

edit- others include:

David DeJesus
Ryan Freel

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 09:19 PM
i have no problem with Pods. I own a pods jersey, i cheer for him when i 'm at the games. I will admitt there is something going on with him though. He does get on base sometimes, but maybe not as much as i'd like to see him on base. we'll see what happens though.When a team is losing, people tend to look for simple reasons. It's almost never that simple. Pods' OBP is down an insignificant 0.006 from last year. He's also getting a lot more extra base hits. Only his BA is down, and for a leadoff hitter, OBP and XBH are a lot more important. He's also taking more pitches than last year (4.09 PIT/PA vs. 3.89 last year). His SB percentage is the same as last year. Essentially every reason you've seen here ranting about why it's Podsednik's fault the team isn't playing well is complete bunk.

JB98
07-27-2006, 09:23 PM
When a team is losing, people tend to look for simple reasons. It's almost never that simple. Pods' OBP is down an insignificant 0.006 from last year. He's also getting a lot more extra base hits. Only his BA is down, and for a leadoff hitter, OBP and XBH are a lot more important. He's also taking more pitches than last year (4.09 PIT/PA vs. 3.89 last year). His SB percentage is the same as last year. Essentially every reason you've seen here ranting about why it's Podsednik's fault the team isn't playing well is complete bunk.

In addition, Pods has 12 more RBIs now that he did all of last season.

rowand33
07-27-2006, 09:26 PM
In addition, Pods has 12 more RBIs now that he did all of last season.

last year, Juan Uribe batted 9th and had what? mid-70 RBI, right?

this year, Anderson bats 9th and he was an offensive dud for the better part of 3 months.

easy to bat in more runners when there are people on base.

Anybody that watched a sox game in the first half of 2005 knows that the Podsednik on the field now is a shell of what he was.

at this point, he's very, very average.

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 09:29 PM

this year, Anderson bats 9th and he was an offensive dud for the better part of 3 months.

Anybody that watched a sox game in the first half of 2005 knows that the Podsednik on the field now is a shell of what he was.

at this point, he's very, very average.By almost any measure, he's as good as he was last year. OBP, XBH, SB%, you name it. The only glaring difference is SB attempts, and we've dissected that enough times.

CommanderPudge72
07-27-2006, 09:33 PM

at this point, he's very, very average.

Andersen isn't the problem though...he has done well in the slump. When he was slumping, the RBI's were getting picked up elsewhere. We are way ahead in runs scored this year. We actually lead the league.

Pods, even when he is healthy and solid at the plate, is an adventure in the field....his approach on a ball is very tenuous...well, in fact, it makes me nervous...

rowand33
07-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Andersen isn't the problem though...he has done well in the slump. When he was slumping, the RBI's were getting picked up elsewhere. We are way ahead in runs scored this year. We actually lead the league.

Pods, even when he is healthy and solid at the plate, is an adventure in the field....his approach on a ball is very tenuous...well, in fact, it makes me nervous...

oh no, I'm not saying that Anderson is the problem. not at all.

I'm just saying that you can attribute Pods extra RBI to the fact that anderson wasn't picking those guys up for 2 and a half months and last year uribe was.

Anderson has been great lately. I am in no way complaining about him.

rowand33
07-27-2006, 09:43 PM
By almost any measure, he's as good as he was last year. OBP, XBH, SB%, you name it. The only glaring difference is SB attempts, and we've dissected that enough times.

you don't think that Pierre or Soriano would be an improvement?

I feel that that move would not only upgrade our leadoff spot, but Pods could become the 4th outfielder (unless he went to washington in the soriano deal). Pods can't be worse than Mack in center, and would provide additional speed off the bench.

DickAllen72
07-27-2006, 09:46 PM
By almost any measure, he's as good as he was last year. OBP, XBH, SB%, you name it. The only glaring difference is SB attempts, and we've dissected that enough times.

Yeah but his SB% took a dive the second half of last season. Pods needs to be "first half 2005 Pods" to be effective as an igniter for the Sox offense.

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 09:50 PM

I feel that that move would not only upgrade our leadoff spot, but Pods could become the 4th outfielder (unless he went to washington in the soriano deal). Pods can't be worse than Mack in center, and would provide additional speed off the bench.Pierre???? :rolling:

Excuse me while I get up off the floor and wipe the tears from my eyes.

Soriano would be great if you think the Sox have a shortage of players swinging from their heels. His Washington numbers are way over his career numbers, and facing AL Central pitching he'd be lucky to put up a .300 OBP. Oh, yeah, and he has FEWER SB than Podsednik. But boy, oh boy, wouldn't more solo HR be great right now?

TaylorStSox
07-27-2006, 09:52 PM
I hate to say "I told you so," but it's been obvious for a long time that Pods has lost a step. When he doesn't put pressure on oppossing pitchers, he's useless.

TaylorStSox
07-27-2006, 09:54 PM

His numbers may be similar, but he doesn't have the same impact on the game.

That's where the stats lie IMO. There isn't a stat for impact players. A guy like Torriiiiiii Hunter may not put up the best numbers, but he's constantly a part of game changing plays. On our team, Crede, Pierzynski and Uribe top that list.

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah but his SB% took a dive the second half of last season. Pods needs to be "first half 2005 Pods" to be effective as an igniter for the Sox offense.His first half SB% wasn't that much higher...in the high 70's IIRC. His SB% took a dive in the second half, but he had a lot fewer attempts, so it didn't bring the overall percentage down that much. The big difference is in the attempts. He's had a total of SIX in July.

CommanderPudge72
07-27-2006, 09:56 PM

I feel that that move would not only upgrade our leadoff spot, but Pods could become the 4th outfielder (unless he went to washington in the soriano deal). Pods can't be worse than Mack in center, and would provide additional speed off the bench.

Unh, I don't know about Pierre, his slump through half the season made Pods look like Lou Gehrig...Pierre would be better in the field...but the slumps..the slumps...you could be replacing one for the same.

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 09:58 PM

That's where the stats lie IMO. There isn't a stat for impact players. A guy like Torriiiiiii Hunter may not put up the best numbers, but he's constantly a part of game changing plays. On our team, Crede, Pierzynski and Uribe top that list.Once again, his impact is down because his SB attempts are way down. He's had SIX in July and has had only 41 so far this season. He had 82 last year.

rowand33
07-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Pierre???? :rolling:

Excuse me while I get up off the floor and wipe the tears from my eyes.

Soriano would be great if you think the Sox have a shortage of players swinging from their heels. His Washington numbers are way over his career numbers, and facing AL Central pitching he'd be lucky to put up a .300 OBP. Oh, yeah, and he has FEWER SB than Podsednik. But boy, oh boy, wouldn't more solo HR be great right now?

seriously, in what world is Juan Pierre a bad player?

he's had a great career as a leadoff man.

just because he plays for the Cubs doesn't mean that he's bad. I realize he struggled out of the gate, but he's been really good for a couple of months now. he's also better in the field than Pods is, and at this point in Pods career, Pierre is a better base stealer. Pierre is a good, hardworking player. And unlike some people I don't become blind to that just because he plays on the northside.

As for Soriano... you're right, a .360 OBP turns into a .300 OBP in the AL Central... :rolleyes:

and you're right, he only hits solo home runs. that's why he only has 32 hits on the year...

oh wait, he has 118.

Every leadoff man in the league doesn't need to hit 0 HR in a season to be good...

TaylorStSox
07-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Once again, his impact is down because his SB attempts are way down. He's had SIX in July and has had only 41 so far this season. He had 82 last year.

Agreed. They're down because he's too damn slow to swipe a bag everytime he gets on base. Opposing pitchers and catchers no longer fear Scott Podsednik. For that reason, he's basically useless IMO.

CommanderPudge72
07-27-2006, 10:00 PM

That's where the stats lie IMO. There isn't a stat for impact players. A guy like Torriiiiiii Hunter may not put up the best numbers, but he's constantly a part of game changing plays. On our team, Crede, Pierzynski and Uribe top that list.

IMO...Hunter uses his surroundings to his advantage...many highlights come playing off the baggie, you won't get that in any other park. If you look at his routes, he could end up on the DL for half the season in any other ball park with a solid wall.

DickAllen72
07-27-2006, 10:01 PM

Yeah, we all know that Pods is a much better hitter than Soriano.

Soriano has 25 steals and caught 8 times. Pods has 29 steals but has been caught 12 times. Soriano is faster and has a better SB% than Pods.

Soriano would put up an OBP at least the same as Pods (which isn't great), add more speed and steal more bases, and his power would only be a bonus.

But it's all academic, because the Sox supposedly pulled out of the talks for him.

TaylorStSox
07-27-2006, 10:01 PM
IMO...Hunter uses his surroundings to his advantage...many highlights come playing off the baggie, you won't get that in any other park. If you look at his routes, he could end up on the DL for half the season in any other ball park with a solid wall.

I'm not talking about the highlights. I'm talking about getting big hits, hitting big home runs and making great catches in close ball games. Hell, the guy demoralized us for a whole season by knocking the snot out of Burke.

CommanderPudge72
07-27-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm not talking about the highlights. I'm talking about getting big hits, hitting big home runs and making great catches in close ball games. Hell, the guy demoralized us for a whole season by knocking the snot out of Burke.

He didn't do that, we let him do that to us...big difference IMO

StatHead21
07-27-2006, 10:39 PM

Anderson isn't the problem, the problem is when the line up turns over and its Uribe-Anderson-Podsednik/Ozuna and sometimes Cintron, thats a big problem. Yes the Sox score a lot of runs but they don't score unless Thome-Dye-Konerko do their job and Crede/AJ and sometimes Gooch chip in.

MrX
07-27-2006, 10:50 PM
seriously, in what world is Juan Pierre a bad player?

he's had a great career as a leadoff man.

just because he plays for the Cubs doesn't mean that he's bad. I realize he struggled out of the gate, but he's been really good for a couple of months now. he's also better in the field than Pods is, and at this point in Pods career, Pierre is a better base stealer. Pierre is a good, hardworking player. And unlike some people I don't become blind to that just because he plays on the northside. I'm far from a Pods fan, but Pierre has been terrible the past 2 years. This year alone Pods is doubling Pierre in number of BB, Pods has one more double, and one less triple than Pierre in about 75 less at bats than Pierre.

Pierre's OBP his almost 20 points less than Pods as well.

JB98
07-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm far from a Pods fan, but Pierre has been terrible the past 2 years. This year alone Pods is doubling Pierre in number of BB, Pods has one more double, and one less triple than Pierre in about 75 less at bats than Pierre.

People here think the grass is always greener on the other side, and they need a scapegoat when the Sox are struggling. That's what I keep going back to in threads like this.

rowand33
07-27-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm far from a Pods fan, but Pierre has been terrible the past 2 years. This year alone Pods is doubling Pierre in number of BB, Pods has one more double, and one less triple than Pierre in about 75 less at bats than Pierre.

Pierre was terrible for a while this season, mind you. but for a good two months, he's been very, very good. in June and July combined he's hit .319.

His indivdual numbers those months are:
June: .283 AVG, .352 OBP, 9 SB 4 CS
July: .363 AVG, .392 OBP 12 SB 4 CS

Pods in those months:

June: .245 AVG, .318 OBP, 6 SB 4 CS
July: .288 AVG, .329 OBP, 5 SB 1 CS

Pierre is faster, better in the field, and a .300 career hitter.

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 10:58 PM

Pierre's OBP his almost 20 points less than Pods as well.And he's not even as good of a CF. No arm at all. He's not exposed as much playing in Wrigley, but it was a track meet when he played in Florida every time the ball was hit to CF.

rowand33
07-27-2006, 11:02 PM
And he's not even as good of a CF. No arm at all. He's not exposed as much playing in Wrigley, but it was a track meet when he played in Florida every time the ball was hit to CF.

nobody wants him to play in center field...

he's a better fielder than Pods.

I'm done arguing this. I'd rather have Pierre batting leadoff and Pods on the bench than Pods batting leadoff. I'm honestly amazed that people don't agree.

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Pierre was terrible for a while this season, mind you. but for a good two months, he's been very, very good. in June and July combined he's hit .319.

His indivdual numbers those months are:
June: .283 AVG, .352 OBP, 9 SB 4 CS
July: .363 AVG, .392 OBP 12 SB 4 CS

Pods in those months:

June: .245 AVG, .318 OBP, 6 SB 4 CS
July: .288 AVG, .329 OBP, 5 SB 1 CS

Pierre is faster, better in the field, and a .300 career hitter.If you want to pick and chose time periods you can make any player look better than any other player. His 2006 numbers are almost identical to his 2005 numbers. It's just laughable to suggest Pierre is a better leadoff hitter than Podsednik.

TaylorStSox
07-27-2006, 11:08 PM
If you want to pick and chose time periods you can make any player look better than any other player. His 2006 numbers are almost identical to his 2005 numbers. It's just laughable to suggest Pierre is a better leadoff hitter than Podsednik.

Barring one year, Pierre has been better for his entire career. I wouldn't put either in CF, but I do agree with Rowand. Juan Pierre is a better baseball player.

rowand33
07-27-2006, 11:09 PM
If you want to pick and chose time periods you can make any player look better than any other player. His 2006 numbers are almost identical to his 2005 numbers. It's just laughable to suggest Pierre is a better leadoff hitter than Podsednik.

ok, apparently I'm not done.

it's laughable to suggest that Pierre, a career .302 hitter that's been in the league for 6 full seasons, is better than a player that has had 2 good seasons, a career .277 average, and has had leg injuries!?

how does soriano=sosa? how is post-leg-trouble-Pods>Pierre? seriously, what color is the sky in your world?

this is just ridiculous.

StatHead21
07-27-2006, 11:40 PM
ok, apparently I'm not done.

it's laughable to suggest that Pierre, a career .302 hitter that's been in the league for 6 full seasons, is better than a player that has had 2 good seasons, a career .277 average, and has had leg injuries!?

how does soriano=sosa? how is post-leg-trouble-Pods>Pierre? seriously, what color is the sky in your world?

this is just ridiculous.
Pierre is far better but people don't see it because he plays on that garbage team from the north and Pods is a World Series hero.

MrX
07-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Frank Thomas is a career .305 hitter, that doesn't mean I'd want him on this team. Pierre's career OBP is only 6 points higher than Pods and his numbers over the past season and a half are terrible.

goofymsfan
07-28-2006, 07:00 AM

Our mentality has returned...don't risk running out of a situation, because Thome, Paulie, or Dye may hit a long one.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that sees this. I thought it was because I'm more of a casual Sox fan then a die-hard Sox fan that I was able to be a little more objective. I am a Mariners fan first, but fell in love with the Sox style of play last year because that is what I got used to seeing in Tacoma when Scotty played there. Is the long important in an offense, but it becomes more of a detriment when it becomes the sole focus of scoring.

HerzogVon
07-28-2006, 09:01 AM

Combine your post with that of Scottzila ( #63 ) and you have pretty much hit on the crux of the problem; namely, why should the 1 and 2 hitters bust their humps getting things started when they - and everyone else - can just sit back and wait for 3, 4 and 5 to whack HRs? Of course, that's not the way the game ought to be played. Unfortunately, that's exactly what's happening.

Sure, we hit a lot of HRs last year. The difference was, they came from all over. The team didn't just sit around waiting for the middle of the order to do the job. For one thing, during a key stretch we had Frank Thomas. Here's a guy who could slug, make contact AND draw walks. As for Thome...

I heard something on one of today's 6:00 sportscasts which I found most disturbing. Apparently, KW "consulted" with Konerko, Thome and Dye before deciding that no further changes need to be made. Say WHAT??!! It was bad enough when Paulie lobbied to get Thome here in the first place. Now, KW is taking advice from a triumvirate? What goes on here?!

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Frank Thomas is a career .305 hitter, that doesn't mean I'd want him on this team. Pierre's career OBP is only 6 points higher than Pods and his numbers over the past season and a half are terrible.The Pods hate is mostly coming from the same people who were bleating in 2004 over the Lee-Podsednik trade, insisting that the Sox had just thrown away any chance of competing in 2005. Some things never change.:rolleyes:

batmanZoSo
07-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Combine your post with that of Scottzila ( #63 ) and you have pretty much hit on the crux of the problem; namely, why should the 1 and 2 hitters bust their humps getting things started when they - and everyone else - can just sit back and wait for 3, 4 and 5 to whack HRs? Of course, that's not the way the game ought to be played. Unfortunately, that's exactly what's happening.

Sure, we hit a lot of HRs last year. The difference was, they came from all over. The team didn't just sit around waiting for the middle of the order to do the job. For one thing, during a key stretch we had Frank Thomas. Here's a guy who could slug, make contact AND draw walks. As for Thome...

I heard something on one of today's 6:00 sportscasts which I found most disturbing. Apparently, KW "consulted" with Konerko, Thome and Dye before deciding that no further changes need to be made. Say WHAT??!! It was bad enough when Paulie lobbied to get Thome here in the first place. Now, KW is taking advice from a triumvirate? What goes on here?!

There are no worthwhile options out there. This team is excellent, it's filled out and there's nothing else to do but play ball and win.

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2006, 09:40 AM
There are no worthwhile options out there. This team is excellent, it's filled out and there's nothing else to do but play ball and win.

Yep. Short of gutting the team and trying to completely re-load on the fly, there's really not much to do trade-wise, especially at the exhorbitant prices of this extreme seller's market.

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2006, 09:43 AM
I heard something on one of today's 6:00 sportscasts which I found most disturbing. Apparently, KW "consulted" with Konerko, Thome and Dye before deciding that no further changes need to be made. Say WHAT??!! It was bad enough when Paulie lobbied to get Thome here in the first place. Now, KW is taking advice from a triumvirate? What goes on here?!What's so terrible about a manager consulting with his subordinates???

Paulwny
07-28-2006, 09:52 AM
What's so terrible about a manager consulting with his subordinates???

I don't care who KW consults with, hes the GM. A possible problem could arise if a gm mentions a possible trade and asks for opinions. If a player is very friendly with a player to be traded he may try to talk a gm out of the trade.

tstrike2000
07-28-2006, 09:55 AM

The stellar pitching (namely Contreras) and defense kept us afloat the 2nd half of last year. In the playoffs, the stellar pitching, defense, and timely hitting came into play.

We're going back to our inconsistant offense we had last year at this time but with the pitching stuggling, as well. So Pods is not the only scapegoat. His numbers may be better in some areas, but as a leadoff guy it's hurting us in two big areas, batting average and stolen bases. His average is roughly 20 points lower and he's not stealing as many bases or beating out as many infield hits compared to last year, particularly the first half. With our starting pitching struggling, we need a boost at the leadoff spot and it's just not happening.

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2006, 09:56 AM
I don't care who KW consults with, hes the GM. A possible problem could arise if a gm mentions a possible trade and asks for opinions. If a player is very friendly with a player to be traded he may try to talk a gm out of the trade.I would certainly hope a GM is smart enough to factor that in. More information and more points of view are always better.

Paulwny
07-28-2006, 10:02 AM
I would certainly hope a GM is smart enough to factor that in. More information and more points of view are always better.

I'm sure KW knows the score, however teams pay scouts to evaluate players, players may not be the best judges of talent. It's kink of dead issue because I don't think KW would consult with players for opinions on trades.

samram
07-28-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm sure KW knows the score, however teams pay scouts to evaluate players, players may not be the best judges of talent. It's kink of dead issue because I don't think KW would consult with players for opinions on trades.

Didn't he do that before signing AJ? I'm sure KW's not the only GM who does this. I know that my boss will ask people below him about job candidates, even those coming in at the same level as the people he's asking, especially if they know the person. In a small community like MLB, it's probably helpful to get an opinion about how a new player would affect the team, on and off the field. It's probably also a good idea to tell the players that any acquisition made is not being made because he doesn't have confidence in the players that are already there.

Paulwny
07-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Didn't he do that before signing AJ? I'm sure KW's not the only GM who does this. I know that my boss will ask people below him about job candidates, even those coming in at the same level as the people he's asking, especially if they know the person. In a small community like MLB, it's probably helpful to get an opinion about how a new player would affect the team, on and off the field. It's probably also a good idea to tell the players that any acquisition made is not being made because he doesn't have confidence in the players that are already there.

AJ was a FA signing, trading of players from the team is different. Many bosses will ask opinions on future hirings , but very few will ask for opinions if they are about to fire an employee and replace him/her with a new arrival.

Ol' No. 2
07-28-2006, 10:21 AM
AJ was a FA signing, trading of players from the team is different. Many bosses will ask opinions on future hirings , but very few will ask for opinions if they are about to fire an employee and replace him/her with a new arrival.I didn't get the sense from the article that KW was asking about who on the roster to get rid of. I would expect it was more along the lines of what do they think need? That's one of the reasons you have team leaders. Their experience is valuable. Only very insecure managers don't seek advice from their subordinates, and especially the senior level people.

Paulwny
07-28-2006, 10:29 AM
I didn't get the sense from the article that KW was asking about who on the roster to get rid of. I would expect it was more along the lines of what do they think need? That's one of the reasons you have team leaders. Their experience is valuable. Only very insecure managers don't seek advice from their subordinates, and especially the senior level people.

Totally Agree,
I guess I didn't word my post correctly. I was answering to the question about consulting players. I brought up a possible problem IF a gm discusses players in a possible trade. In fact I did state in one of my posts that I didn't think KW would consult players about possible trades.

INSox56
07-28-2006, 12:01 PM
I personally think there is just too much stat mentioning. Stats are good, yes, but I think it should come down to game situations. Watching today's or any game lately, do you feel that Pods has done a good job in his role as a player? I think the answer is by far no. He puts ZERO pressure on anyone in their defense. That's half the advantage of the leadoff hitter. Creating more fastballs from pitchers who fear stolen bases. More balls from pitchouts, more throwing over, etc etc etc. It's the things that aren't measured in numbers that a leadoff hitter should posess that he has none of anymore. Just because 345 can dominate homers SOMETIMES doesn't mean they will all the time AND that pods doing what he did early last year by pressuring pitchers wouldn't make it even EASIER to hit home runs for those guys...

Corlose 15
07-28-2006, 02:56 PM
I think Pods is a player who could play a huge role in this team getting out of its offensive slump. They're trying to hit 5 run homers with every swing and I think a way for them to get out of that mindset is if Pods is on base and messing with the pitcher it'll help the batters focus because they have a job to do. If they're intent on moving the runner over and simply getting a single to knock him in it should get the offense going. Just my humble opinion.:redneck

DickAllen72
07-28-2006, 02:59 PM
I think Pods is a player who could play a huge role in this team getting out of its offensive slump. They're trying to hit 5 run homers with every swing and I think a way for them to get out of that mindset is if Pods is on base and messing with the pitcher it'll help the batters focus because they have a job to do. If they intent on moving the run over and simply getting a single to knock him in it should get the offense going. Just my humble opinion.:redneck

If Pods plays the way he did in the first half of 2005, for sure he will play a huge role in igniting this team. But that's a big "if".

Corlose 15
07-28-2006, 03:10 PM
If Pods plays the way he did in the first half of 2005, for sure he will play a huge role in igniting this team. But that's a big "if".

If he only plays the way he was playing in May it'll play a huge role.