PDA

View Full Version : 2005 DVDs - a must watch these days...& a few thoughts

nysox35
07-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Well, this may turn into somewhat of a ramble, but here goes:
Earlier, I was following the game online while at work and towards the end, I literally felt myself feeling ill, as I'm sure many of you did. Most of us here are very passionate about the White Sox and this recent slide is really tough to take. It's similar to last year's late slide, but it's almost worse because of the expectations we all have for our team.

I own both the Sox Pride and World Series DVDs and decided I needed to break one of them out because I was really upset after today's loss. It was a great decision and watching it put me in a good mood. However, it also got me thinking about the current squad. A few random thoughts:

1. It has been said, but where has the fun gone? Last year, Ozzie had hilarious quips such as "AJ started crying like a baby. I told him, quit crying and hit the ball." (In response to the game winning HR over LA Dodgers). This year, Ozzie has berated 2 of our pitchers and called Jay Mariotti you know what.
I think part of it is because of the increased expectations and pressure, but last year it started with Ozzie. He truly was the heart and soul of this team. He needs to take over that role once again and keep this team loose.

2. Last year, each man, 1 through 25 knew his role. This year, things don't quite seem that way. Pods needs to focus on his OBP and being a threat on the bases. That will allow Iguchi to be the great #2 hitter he can be. These two things snowball into our power bats having lots of RBI opportunities.
I think that Ozzie going back to being a fun guy and an effective leader will play into this team strategy as well.

3. We all know this, but we need our pitching to improve. Thankfully Jon has picked it up in a big way and Jose has been pretty solid all year. Of the other 3, we need 1 if not 2 of these guys to really turn it on. I have faith in Mark long term, but there are 62 games left, the time is now.
Our bullpen is pretty solid these days, so we need our starters to do their job.

4. This is a minor point and it may just be that I've lost it. I think we should pick up Carl Everett after he clears waivers. Obviously I'm advocating this as a move for a bat for the bench (maybe replace Gload with Everett). It sure couldn't hurt to spice things up. We all have an opinion one way or another about Carl and I realize he said some things that we don't like, but I think his attitude could serve as a spark to this team.

Feel free to disagree with anything I've said. I don't claim to know it all. As many of you have been lately, I've just been very upset about this team's recent 3-12 slide and I just want it to end.

Let's start small. Let's get a win on Friday. We have Jon going and have an excellent chance on Saturday. Looking beyond that, let's just win the next two series and get on a bit of a roll.

Let's go White Sox! These are tough times, but the White Sox can and will excel once the going gets tough.

slobes
07-27-2006, 12:42 AM
1. You're right, all of the fun is completely gone. Part of it may be the fact that we finally did achieve that World Series. Even if we don't do as great this year, we'll always have 2005. Maybe the quest for the World Series has lost some of its er since we already achieved it.

2. I don't think Pods has been the same in any aspect since he got hurt last year.

3. I just read that book "Say It's So", and it makes me realize how spoiled we got with our pitching last year, especially in the playoffs. Though we can't expect 4 straight complete games from them, last year did show the potential that our pitchers have (except for Vasquez, which is a whole different story).

4. I don't think that big bats coming off the bench is really a problem for us right now. Even during this slump, I think that our bench is still one of the best in the bigs. If most of our starters can't even perform right now, I don't think the bench is much of a problem. Also, after all the stuff Carl said when he left Chicago, I don't think he would be much of a favorite here anymore.

CommanderPudge72
07-27-2006, 12:48 AM
In Game 2 of the WS Box, Joe Buck foreshadows Ozzies Spring move of moving Iguchi to the 6th spot in the order....UUUUUEEEEEUUUUU Spooky.

southside rocks
07-27-2006, 11:31 AM
4. This is a minor point and it may just be that I've lost it. I think we should pick up Carl Everett after he clears waivers. Obviously I'm advocating this as a move for a bat for the bench (maybe replace Gload with Everett). It sure couldn't hurt to spice things up. We all have an opinion one way or another about Carl and I realize he said some things that we don't like, but I think his attitude could serve as a spark to this team.

From today's Tribune story about Everett being cut from the Mariners:

"Everett's plight on the West Coast didn't garner much sympathy in the White Sox clubhouse. 'He's always been a team player,' one Sox player said sarcastically to the Tribune."

Um, I think it would hurt to spice things up with that particular spice, actually.

Ozzie is funny this year; he's had some great quips, like when AJ was voted onto the All-Star Team, and when that SI poll named AJ the player most people wanted to see punched, and Ozzie said 'yeah, all his teammates voted for him!'

Ozzie is doing a great job right now not getting down, and it will pay off when things turn back up. The fun that the 2005 team had really can't be replicated this year, IMO, just because they are the WS champions and they're not flying under anybody's radar any longer. Every single team brings their A game when they play the Sox now. Our expectations are much higher, too. It's a different year, different team, and they have to find the winning recipe for NOW. I still think they will.

russ99
07-27-2006, 11:38 AM
2. Last year, each man, 1 through 25 knew his role. This year, things don't quite seem that way. Pods needs to focus on his OBP and being a threat on the bases. That will allow Iguchi to be the great #2 hitter he can be. These two things snowball into our power bats having lots of RBI opportunities. I think that Ozzie going back to being a fun guy and an effective leader will play into this team strategy as well..

I think that has a lot to do with the lack of a regular lineup. Most other teams use the same 1-9 lineup from Monday through Saturday, and then give the bench a game on Sundays unless there's undisputable matchup reasons vs. a specific pitcher.

Ozzie's rotating the lineup way too much, but I think that it will pay off at the end of the season, when the Sox hitters are much less run down than players on other teams.

jenn2080
07-27-2006, 11:46 AM
me watching the Sox Pride video would be like watching a chick flick after a bad break up after a long term relationship. i am just not ready for it. that doesnt mean i lost hope cuz i havent i am just not ready to go that route yet. if we do bad in baltimore and kc i will sit on my couch with my ice cream and the remote and watch all dvds.

KMKsuburbannoise
07-27-2006, 11:46 AM
AS far as the fun, everything is a little tense now. The fun was there earlier in the season.

Everyone still knows their role, I just don't think we'rr getting the bounces we need.

Yes, our pitching seems to be the main problem.

And it probably couldn't hurt to pick up Crazy Carl.

Mr.1Dog
07-27-2006, 12:13 PM
I think that has a lot to do with the lack of a regular lineup. Most other teams use the same 1-9 lineup from Monday through Saturday, and then give the bench a game on Sundays unless there's undisputable matchup reasons vs. a specific pitcher.

Ozzie's rotating the lineup way too much, but I think that it will pay off at the end of the season, when the Sox hitters are much less run down than players on other teams.

Amen. I am sure it has been touched on a lot but how does a player keep his rhythm going when he is on the bench every other or every two days. Minus a few players, there needs to be a set line up each day to allow streaking hitters and fielders to develop a sense of normalcy, during day to day play along with building endurance over the course of the season.

Jurr
07-27-2006, 12:19 PM
A month ago, all was well and this team was dominating. The lineups were being changed, but players like Cintron and Ozuna were coming up with big hits to win games, as was everyone.

This team still has the stuff to get it done, all the way to the World Series. If we make the playoffs, we'd just pitch Contreras and Garland more, and Buehrle's going to come back around.

Once the bats get going again, they'll take pressure off of the pitchers, and better outings will ensue. Just give it time.

This is a trying time, and it's good for the souls of all Sox fans, especially the "newer" ones. It's never been easy to root for this team, and we're hit with another example.

At least this team gives you hope that it'll turn around and we'll be in the hunt.

MVP
07-27-2006, 12:25 PM
nysox35,
Everything that you said has been right on point. Particularly that this team is not having fun this year. Ozzie is not the same manager that he was last year. The expectations to win this year have gotten into the Sox players heads. I may be an optimist, but I think that losing the wild card lead could be a blessing in disguise for the Sox because hopefully it will get them back to playing the same type of take no prisoners baseball that they played last year.

"Fun is winning. Winning is fun."
Ozzie Guillen

Jurr
07-27-2006, 12:30 PM
nysox35,
Everything that you said has been right on point. Particularly that this team is not having fun this year. Ozzie is not the same manager that he was last year. The expectations to win this year have gotten into the Sox players heads. I may be an optimist, but I think that losing the wild card lead could be a blessing in disguise for the Sox because hopefully it will get them back to playing the same type of take no prisoners baseball that they played last year.

Ozzie Guillen
The Sox had a month and a half streak of NOT playing "take no prisoners" baseball last year. A lot of people forget the trouble that August and early September brought to the Sox. It looked strikingly similar to July of this year.

There was terrible pitching (Buehrle and Garland hardly won AT ALL), questionable defense, and listless hitting. Nobody felt good on the team. Everyone was pressing.

Bling! A light came on, and the Sox started to play good ball again. Clutch hitting, good pitching, and good bullpen work became the norms again.

I would happily trade a down July for a better August and September. Just be patient. This is not 2005. We don't know what's going to happen just the same as we didn't know if the Sox were going to pull out of their tailspin last year. The uncertainty is what makes this fun. Embrace it.

nysox35
07-27-2006, 12:33 PM
nysox35,

Ozzie Guillen

MVP, good to hear your and everyone else's views.
I heard someone else mention the fun element and it clicked for me after watching Sox Pride last night. Granted, it is easier to be fun when you're coming out of nowhere and you're winning, but I think this is a big thing that's been missing.

As far as losing our lead, I'm sure we'd all rather go wire to wire like last year. However, maybe it's the wakeup call we really needed. Maybe hearing some bad things about the team from the media (like in every year but this preseason) will motivate us to be the fighters 1 through 25 like last year.
I certainly hope so...