PDA

View Full Version : Quotes Of The Day 7-26

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 08:29 PM
A.J. has it pegged right on the money to Mark Gonzales of the Tribune:

"This is just bad.This is bad right now. It seems like we get the chance [to drive in runs], we don't get them in. We get a good pitching performance, we don't hit. We get a bad pitching performance, we seem to hit, but it's not enough. Just bad for a couple of weeks now.

"We're at the point now where we have to win games. We've had it taken to us. I don't think we're being aggressive enough. We're sitting back and waiting for bad stuff to happen. That's not what we do. We need to be out there with a strut and confidence, and I don't see that."

Ozzie's is even better to the A.P.:

"I'm totally speechless right now..."

That's what happens when it's 'home run or nothing derby' and you don't have a lot of team speed and have forgotten how to execute fundamentals anymore.

What ever happened to 'Ozzie-Ball?'

Lip

StatHead21
07-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Ozzieball meaning hit HRs and play great defense? Thats what they did last year....They were a slow team that hit HRs last year and they are the same this year except they are centered around 3-4-5.

Their defense has been a big problem this year, the plays they made last year are not getting made this year.

Simple solution, get another guy that can upgrade the defense and help the offense a little. Pitching will come around, and the bullpen has been fixed.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Stathead:

Ozzie-Ball is also an idea, a philosophy.

'We're going to put the pressure on YOU. We're going to take the extra base, we're going to bunt, we're going to hit the other way to at least advance our runner.'

It was NOT all home run or nothing last season...not even close to it.

This year it's like 2003 all over again. A bad dream and it's been going on since the first week of play. It's just that the hitting was covering it up at the time.

Lip

StatHead21
07-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Yes that is a philosophy but HRs, defense and pitching was their reason for winning.

Just look at the playoffs, they didn't run or bunt much. Scotty Pods played like a #3 hitter.

vegyrex
07-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Maybe at the next team meeting Ozzie should read them the Grinder Rules.

They seem to have forgotten them. Especially Rule #1. :o:

samram
07-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Stathead:

Ozzie-Ball is also an idea, a philosophy.

'We're going to put the pressure on YOU. We're going to take the extra base, we're going to bunt, we're going to hit the other way to at least advance our runner.'

It was NOT all home run or nothing last season...not even close to it.

This year it's like 2003 all over again. A bad dream and it's been going on since the first week of play. It's just that the hitting was covering it up at the time.

Lip

Actually, it was very often home run or nothing last season... they were just better at taking advantage of the times they had runners on second and no one out than they are this year.

Chisox003
07-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Actually, it was very often home run or nothing last season... they were just better at taking advantage of the times they had runners on second and no one out than they are this year.
Not only clutch hitting, but how many 1 run games did we win last year? 40 something?

And how many of those were won because of speed, bunts, executing etc.

A lot. Last year's team did everything and anything well. It was unreal.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Samram:

The Sox were among the top teams in baseball last season in the number of sacrifice bunts and sacrifice flies.

In other words Ozzie-Ball...'we can beat you on a home run or we can beat you on a bunt...'

That's practically non exsistent this season (save for Ozuna game winning drag bunt...)

Lip

samram
07-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Samram:

The Sox were among the top teams in baseball last season in the number of sacrifice bunts and sacrifice flies.

Lip

I know they were, but when they weren't hitting homers, they didn't score a lot- the real difference was the pitching was far superior last year.

kwolf68
07-26-2006, 11:41 PM
We'll start looking better when we pitch better.

I believe Garland has our only two wins since the ASB...he pitched well and we blew out our opponent.

For the most part, the other guys (save Jose) have been terrible most often. Garcia's performance last weekend was strong, but he was doing it with what routinely was an 87mph fastball.

He matches up against Bedard Friday ... a 2nd straight gem by Garcia would, quite honestly, surprise the heck out of me. If we somehow can't beat Bedard (possible) then we need Garland to keep it up Sat and then win the Vazquez start just to beat the Os in the series.

Friday will say a lot about this squad. If we can get some action against a great pitcher like Bedard, maybe we can hit a streak. Still, I just don't think we have the stud pitching in the rotation anymore...in one year it seems to have gotten old and ordinary while Detroit and Minnesota are throwing filthy studs at you.

Domeshot17
07-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Last year teams feared ozzie ball, Terry Francona said it best in the playoffs

"this team can beat you so many ways, they can get you with the longball, but they can also ONE RUN YOU TO DEATH"

The big difference was the pitching though. It was something that should have been addressed earlier. I think right now, however, a hitter would be a better addition.

Lets say Zito comes in, pitches 12 games, wins 7.

You get a hitter, especially a soriano type, who can change games with his speed power , arm in the OF, a feared hitter, and he has a chance to change 30-40 games down the stretch.

And BTW, not only is pods not doing it with the bat anymore, BUT WHEN YOU ARENT HITTING, YOU SURE BETTER NOT GET LAZY IN THE OF

Im so sick of seeing the fastest guy on our team (maybe 2 next to pablo) jogging everywhere, to base hits, down the line, on double play balls. Hustle or get your mediocre ass off the field. Pablo may be a disaster defensively, but atleast he plays his butt off.

MrX
07-27-2006, 12:01 AM
If they scored 4 runs in a game last year they were almost guaranteed to win. If they score 4 runs this year, they're still trailing by 2 runs.

The crappiness of the pitching is just making the offense look that much worse.

"Smartball" went away last year when Pods got hurt and hasn't been back since. When he actually gets on base he puts no pressure on the defense. When was the last time he stole 3rd?

Iwritecode
07-27-2006, 12:18 AM
the real difference was the pitching was far superior last year.

We'll start looking better when we pitch better.

The big difference was the pitching though.

That's it. The offense has been non-existant lately but it's the pitching that has really been horrible all year long. The offense covered it up the first half.

Paulwny
07-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Samram:

In other words Ozzie-Ball...'we can beat you on a home run or we can beat you on a bunt...'

That's practically non exsistent this season (save for Ozuna game winning drag bunt...)

Lip

The sox lead the AL in sac hits(bunts) this year with 30, no idea how many they had at this time last year.

MadetoOrta
07-27-2006, 12:52 PM
What we did last year was score early and put pressure on the other team. Detroit is doing the same thing this year.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Paul:

One of the other posters had in a thread last week that said the Sox went 21 days without a successful sacrifice. (Vazquez - July 1st was the last one at that time)

Without going through the box scores I'd venture a guess that the majority of those league leading sacrificies this year were in the first two months of the season.

Now the manager and players seem to have gone away from that philosophy.

Lip

STRETCH!!!
07-27-2006, 01:05 PM
That's it. The offense has been non-existant lately but it's the pitching that has really been horrible all year long. The offense covered it up the first half.

To me the greatest difference between this year and last is the starting pitching. We talk about timely hitting, how about timely pitching and timely defnese. It seemed as if last year when we were leading 2-1 the pitching would hold the other team and not lose the lead by giving up 2 extra runs. They gave up the 2 extra runs when we were leading 5-1. If we needed a stellar defensive play to kill someone rally, we'd get it.

To be honest, during the past 3 games MN looked a lot like the 2005 Sox.

Can we get it back? We still have a thrid of the season to go. Perhaps MN will havea a great middle third and a lousy final third, and we will own the league during this final 50 games. I know it doesn't look bright now, but if Mark and Freddy could turn it around, who knows. Cleveland came out of nowhere last year. MN has come out of nowhere this year. Why not us?

As bad as the past two weeks have been, I really think the next two weeks are going to make or break us.

Paulwny
07-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Paul:

One of the other posters had in a thread last week that said the Sox went 21 days without a successful sacrifice. (Vazquez - July 1st was the last one at that time)

Without going through the box scores I'd venture a guess that the majority of those league leading sacrificies this year were in the first two months of the season.

Now the manager and players seem to have gone away from that philosophy.

Lip

Good Point !!! :redface:

Jurr
07-27-2006, 03:33 PM
What's funny about AJ is that this is the first time he's really spoken out about a problem. Maybe they're finally realizing something's just not right.

Two nights ago, AJ did an interview on sporting news radio right after the Twins game. He was giggly and light, and he even said something about "Man, hold up a moment. My concentration was taken away by some hot blonde on a scooter."

As far as the Sox struggles went, he said, "We're just in a little funk, and we're going to get out of it"

A day later, he comes out with this stuff.

In 2005, the Twins were the last of the Sox' worries. They had exorcised their demons against the Twins, and that was huge for them. Now, the Twins are back, swept the Sox, and are tied with them for the Wild Card. I think the team FINALLY realizes that it's time to quit laboring, doubting, and pressing. It's time to get that swagger back and play some ball.

DaleJRFan
07-27-2006, 03:36 PM

Gload put down two beauties just the other day...

SoxSpeed22
07-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Gload put down two beauties just the other day...Hence, led to scoring runs. The Sox played good fundamental baseball and threw in a home run in their last win. They have been doing that on occassion and couldn't get it done against the Twins. Owens might have to be called up to play left if Pods cannot get it done. He is an important part to the team and is not playing like it.

DaleJRFan
07-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Hence, led to scoring runs. The Sox played good fundamental baseball and threw in a home run in their last win. They have been doing that on occassion and couldn't get it done against the Twins. Owens might have to be called up to play left if Pods cannot get it done. He is an important part to the team and is not playing like it.

Owens is hitting 260 in AAA. How he would be an improvement over Pods is beyond me.

DaleJRFan
07-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Hence, led to scoring runs. The Sox played good fundamental baseball and threw in a home run in their last win. They have been doing that on occassion and couldn't get it done against the Twins. Owens might have to be called up to play left if Pods cannot get it done. He is an important part to the team and is not playing like it.

Speaking of which... remember all those posts about the Sox needing a righthanded batting forth outfielder?? Owens was traded for Alex Escobar, a righthanded hitting CF/OF. With the Nationals, he is batting 429 with 3 HR and 12 RBI in 42 ABs. BooHoo... :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
07-27-2006, 03:45 PM
The issue is larger than how many bunts and sac flies they have. The issue I see is that they're waiting for something to happen instead of making it happen. Execution has been very poor. I really think they got too used to their 3-4-5 hitters mashing the ball early in the year and got out of the habit. You don't just turn it on and off like a light switch. They have to get back to playing aggressive baseball.

INSox56
07-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Even Buster Olney had a good point today on Salsbury....The sox have ONE SB since the all star break. Can't steal what you can't get on....and when we do, we put zero running pressure on them.

SoxSpeed22
07-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Owens is hitting 260 in AAA. How he would be an improvement over Pods is beyond me.Owens is only worst-case scenario. The only reason that I considered him is because he actually has been putting pressure on opposing defenses and someone else said that Pods has been doggin it on the field. Pods average has been plummeting since the ASB. Going from .280 to .269, and he hasn't attempted a steal since the 19-inning game, he's had his chances despite the average. He's going to have to do what he did last year if this team is not going to be home-run dependent.

Edit: The same Alex Escobar who couldn't stay on the field when he was with Cleveland and Chicago?

Iwritecode
07-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Speaking of which... remember all those posts about the Sox needing a righthanded batting forth outfielder?? Owens was traded for Alex Escobar, a righthanded hitting CF/OF. With the Nationals, he is batting 429 with 3 HR and 12 RBI in 42 ABs. BooHoo... :rolleyes:

What's that translate into when you convert it to American League stats? He doesn't hit much and doesn't seem to have a lot of speed (going by his steal totals). No idea what his defense is like.

DaleJRFan
07-27-2006, 04:47 PM
What's that translate into when you convert it to American League stats? He doesn't hit much and doesn't seem to have a lot of speed (going by his steal totals). No idea what his defense is like.

Owens is only worst-case scenario. The only reason that I considered him is because he actually has been putting pressure on opposing defenses and someone else said that Pods has been doggin it on the field. Pods average has been plummeting since the ASB. Going from .280 to .269, and he hasn't attempted a steal since the 19-inning game, he's had his chances despite the average. He's going to have to do what he did last year if this team is not going to be home-run dependent.

Edit: The same Alex Escobar who couldn't stay on the field when he was with Cleveland and Chicago?

Both of you guys missed the joke there... please note my "BooHoo" in there. I was joking. Did you guys see the HR he hit off of the Scrubs? He had to hobble around the bases on one leg for cryin' out loud.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Lack of stealing goes directly to the point No. 2 made. It's an attitude..an understanding that you are going to put pressure on the other team and sooner or later they'll crack...throw the ball way, miss a cutoff throw, make a bad pitch, boot a grounder.

That's completely disappeared this season. Home Run or nothing.

Lip