PDA

View Full Version : Our Prospects vs. Our Line-up

beausox
02-17-2002, 07:06 PM
Someone made the comment awhile back that our minor league system is so talented, our AAA team might be able to beat our major league team in a game. This struck me as funny, it did happens to the Twins a couple years ago, and I got curious. Take a look at the line-ups and you make the decision.

C-Sandy Alomar Jr. vs. Miguel Oliva

1B-Paul Konerko vs. Eric Battersby

2B-Ray Durham vs. Willie Harris

SS-Royce Clayton vs. Jason Daellero

3B-Jose Valentin vs. Joe Crede

LF-Carlos Lee vs. Aaron Rowand

CF-Kenny Lofton vs. Joe Borchard

RF-Magglio Ordonez vs. Mario Valenzuela

DH-Frank Thomas vs. Tim Hummell

Someone should set that up liek that Sox player tourney. Olivo could possibly beat Alomar because of his defense. Borcahrd is a tough call vs. Lofton. I also know there are some people on these boards who really like Harris.

Chisox_cali
02-17-2002, 07:13 PM
Why is Hummel the DH?

Jerry_Manuel
02-17-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Why is Hummel the DH?

Because Harris has to play 2nd since LTP is in CF.

Dadawg_77
Why is Hummel the DH?

Okay then LTP becomes the DH is Hummel moves to 2nd. Hummel should be listed on this list and the only place to put him is DH, unless you moved him to 2nd and Harris to center, moving LTP to DH.

beausox
Two reasons, one, in the minor leagues they usualyl rotate players at DH (in the leagues the DH is used) to give them a break from fielding but still get their hacks. As a result, we don't have a set DH prospect.

The other reason being Hummell is not known for his defense. I already had Harris at second and Hummell has switched positions so many times, he may end up being a DH.

Soxheads
02-17-2002, 07:17 PM
Why is Hummel the DH?

Logjam with LTP and Wee Willie.

Daver
02-17-2002, 07:21 PM
Harris will be a better second baseman than Hummel.

Chisox_cali
02-17-2002, 07:32 PM
Man that Logjam is gonna be immense next year something's gotta give:

Competing for OF: LTP, Rowand, Harris, Lofton(?) Kenny does love the Vets
Spots Available: 1 or 2 depending on what happens with CLee

Competing for 2B: Harris, Hummel, Durham(?)

That's 6 guys competing for 2-3 spots

What I would do:
Hummel at Second
LTP in Right
Harris in Center

Trade Rowand, even though I really like him. Durham lost to Free Agency

Daver
02-17-2002, 07:36 PM
Man that Logjam is gonna be immense next year something's gotta give:

Competing for OF: LTP, Rowand, Harris, Lofton(?) Kenny does love the Vets
Spots Available: 1 or 2 depending on what happens with CLee

Competing for 2B: Harris, Hummel, Durham(?)

That's 6 guys competing for 2-3 spots

What I would do:
Hummel at Second
LTP in Right
Harris in Center

Trade Rowand, even though I really like him. Durham lost to Free Agency

That still leaves Mr Adventure,C.Lee,without a position.

Chisox_cali
02-17-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by daver

A package deal with Rowand perhaps?

Daver
02-17-2002, 07:43 PM

A package deal with Rowand perhaps?

I think that would require a three team trade,or a trade to an AL team,trading two outfielders may prove a little diffucult.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

Chisox_cali
02-17-2002, 07:52 PM

I think that would require a three team trade,or a trade to an AL team,trading two outfielders may prove a little diffucult.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

Whatever clears up the Log Jam

doctor30th
02-17-2002, 08:30 PM
I think if your going to list it to make more sense it should be:

C Alomar - Olivo
1B Konerko - Casey Rogowski
2B Durham - Hummel
3B Valentin - Crede
SS Clayton - Andy Gonzalez (or Geranimo Reyes, Daellero)
LF Lee - Rowand
CF Lofton - Harris
RF Ordonez - Mario Valenzuela
DH Thomas - Borchard

Vsahajpal
02-17-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
I think if your going to list it to make more sense it should be:

C Alomar - Olivo
1B Konerko - Casey Rogowski
2B Durham - Hummel
3B Valentin - Crede
SS Clayton - Andy Gonzalez (or Geranimo Reyes, Daellero)
LF Lee - Rowand
CF Lofton - Harris
RF Ordonez - Mario Valenzuela
DH Thomas - Borchard

That wouldn't make any sense considering Rogowski, Gonzalez, and Guillermo Reyes aren't at Triple A, as the first post said.

doctor30th
02-17-2002, 08:48 PM
Rowand isn't it AAA either, and Olivo is said to be put in AA again.

So neither really make senses. I just used our upper prospects instead.

doctor30th
02-17-2002, 08:52 PM
Ohh and I think Borchard and Hummel are both supposed to be in AA as well.

doctor30th
02-17-2002, 09:13 PM
If your just going to do AAA then it would be:

C Alomar -- Josh Paul
1B Konerko -- Rick Battersby (possibly Ryan Hankins)
2B Durham -- Willie Harris
3B Valentin -- Joe Crede
SS Clayton -- Jason Dellaero
LF C. Lee -- Darron Ingram
CF Lofton -- Chad Durham
RF Ordonez -- Mario Valenzuela
DH Thomas -- Jeff Inglin

Since Rowand will be in the ML, and Hummel, Borchard, and Olivo will all be in AA.

Daver
02-17-2002, 09:15 PM
If your just going to do AAA then it would be:

C Alomar -- Josh Paul
1B Konerko -- Rick Battersby (possibly Ryan Hankins)
2B Durham -- Willie Harris
3B Valentin -- Joe Crede
SS Clayton -- Jason Dellaero
LF C. Lee -- Darron Ingram
CF Lofton -- Chad Durham
RF Ordonez -- Mario Valenzuela
DH Thomas -- Jeff Inglin

Since Rowand will be in the ML, and Hummel, Borchard, and Olivo will all be in AA.

Although I feel Borchard should return to Birmingham,he is more likely to go to Charlotte this season.

doctor30th
02-17-2002, 09:19 PM
I agree he should get another stint in Birmingham, and I think that's there plan. I do have a 50/50 feeling they'll send him to AAA.

But you understand the point of my post.

Vsahajpal
02-17-2002, 09:38 PM
Hummel, Olivo, and Borchard won't repeat double A.

Daver
02-17-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Hummel, Olivo, and Borchard won't repeat double A.

Vic,the only reason I would like to see Borchard stay at Birmingham is because it is closer in size to Comiskey,and he needs to learn to work a large center feild.Charlotte is a band box worthy of little league baseball.

doctor30th
02-17-2002, 09:46 PM
yes Hummel and Olivo for sure will. Playing at Charlotte would inflate Their numbers, and they don't want that.

Vsahajpal
02-17-2002, 09:53 PM
yes Hummel and Olivo for sure will. Playing at Charlotte would inflate Their numbers, and they don't want that.

Do you have a source or are you just guessing here? You make it sound as if this has already been indicated by someone affiliated with the Sox

doctor30th
02-18-2002, 01:43 AM
If I had a link, I don't know where the hell it is. But its easily explained.

With Harris now on the team, they will want both hummel and him to get the most at Bats possible. Since Harris has had some major league experience they will send him to AAA so he can split time with Chad durham in CF and Justin Baughman at 2nd. This way he can get alot of ABs.

This would place Hummel in AA, since he has just recently switched to 2nd base on a full time basis, they will want him to play there the whole year, and also get a maximum number of ABs. Since between the two, he has no ML experience, he will be in AA.

Because they are still looking for Borchard to improve his patience at the plate and get more practice in CF they will have him go to AA. Here he will get the maximum number of AB's being able to play CF full time.

Olivo will also be in AA with Lee Evans. With Mark Dalesandro and the loser of the back up position (Most likely Paul) in AAA, AA is the best location for these two. They will get alot of AB's between the two of them (most likely using the other as a DH or 1B/3b/OF (which Evans did last year) when they are not catching).
The team will most likely want the more veteran Dalesandro and Paul on the AAA team to handle the pitchers. Unless Dalesandro gets cut, which I doubt because they like how he handles the young pitchers.

You can sorta tell their plans from their current minor league rosters. Where they have both Borchard and Hummel on the AA roster.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/minor_leagues/cws_team_roster.jsp?minor_id=SOUBIR&club_context=cws

Now I could be wrong, but I doubt it. When the season comes along, and they are in AA, just remember that I said it. If they are in AAA feel free to post Doctor30th was wrong. However, I don't think I will be.

rmusacch
02-18-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by beausox
Two reasons, one, in the minor leagues they usualyl rotate players at DH (in the leagues the DH is used) to give them a break from fielding but still get their hacks. As a result, we don't have a set DH prospect.

The other reason being Hummell is not known for his defense. I already had Harris at second and Hummell has switched positions so many times, he may end up being a DH.

I do not think that a team should groom a player to be a DH. I think it should just evolve. If the player is a hitter, he can be DH.

doctor30th
02-18-2002, 02:12 AM
Well unfortunately there are some people that just can't field a lick ad have to be groomed as DHs.

And on my High School and College team, they were the DHs. Our DH in college was so funny in the field, it would have you in tears.

Pete_SSAC
02-18-2002, 02:36 AM
Well unfortunately there are some people that just can't field a lick ad have to be groomed as DHs.

:caballo
"My ears are burning."

- Pete

RichH55
02-18-2002, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC

:caballo
"My ears are burning."

- Pete

Pete(or anyone else for that matter)

Who do you consider the top 3 defensive everyday LFs in the game right now? Just curious.....no one ever really seems to answer this question for me

RedPinStripes
02-18-2002, 03:59 AM

And you have a problem with this?

RedPinStripes
02-18-2002, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

Pete(or anyone else for that matter)

Who do you consider the top 3 defensive everyday LFs in the game right now? Just curious.....no one ever really seems to answer this question for me

There aren't many good ones for some reason.

FarWestChicago
02-18-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

There aren't many good ones for some reason. I believe Kermit has mentioned left field is where teams have long put guys who can hit but can't field. Why everybody thinks the Sox need to have a left fielder who could win a gold glove in center is beyond me. :smile:

FarmerAndy
02-18-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by beausox
it did happens to the Twins a couple years ago, and I got curious.

Did it really, or are you just thinking of the movie Major League 3?

Jerry_Manuel
02-18-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Why everybody thinks the Sox need to have a left fielder who could win a gold glove in center is beyond me.

I assume you mean win a gold glove in left. If not then, I'm lost.

czalgosz
02-18-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I assume you mean win a gold glove in left. If not then, I'm lost.

I think he meant that some people seem to think that we should have 3 centerfield-caliber defensive guys out there.

Shannon Stewart is a pretty good left-fielder defensively, and there are a bunch of guys who don't start that can play a very good left field, but mostly left is for guys who can hit but can't field. If you have a good defensive CF out there, it can easily make up for a bad defensive left-fielder. Which is why Borchard better turn out to be a very good defensive player, or else Lee should be traded or something, because if Borchard plays a stationary center to Lee's stationary left, it will be a long, long season in 2003.

RichH55
02-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I believe Kermit has mentioned left field is where teams have long put guys who can hit but can't field. Why everybody thinks the Sox need to have a left fielder who could win a gold glove in center is beyond me. :smile:
This is the point I've been trying to make myself....LF defense is not the championship question

FarWestChicago
02-18-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

I think he meant that some people seem to think that we should have 3 centerfield-caliber defensive guys out there.You are correct, Czal. :smile: