PDA

View Full Version : What is going on?

mikesouthside
07-26-2006, 04:00 PM
I just don't know what to say anymore. I figured I'd just post and ask how everyone is doing? I know majority of you are like me and a win or a loss sets moods. How are you dealing with this? I have the feeling we will go on a run, but I wanna puke at the same time. I'm going nuts.

cleanwsox
07-26-2006, 04:04 PM
It's to the point of laughter. Can't get much worse than these past 2 weeks. Well, a sweep by the Royals or Orioles would make it worse.

MadetoOrta
07-26-2006, 04:06 PM
This team is listless and going through the motions. In my opinion, they've quit on Guillen. Guillen has to be the show. Ozzie needs to shut up and quit showing up his players. Bunting practice? Was there a freer swinger in Sox history than Guillen? He too was a lousy bunter. This team - like many professional sports teams before - has quit on their coach.

MarySwiss
07-26-2006, 04:07 PM
I feel as though I have about a 500-pound weight on my shoulders.

I just keep trying to focus on how terrific it's going to feel when it's not there anymore and how I will laugh about all this in late October while drinking all that champagne.

mccoydp
07-26-2006, 04:09 PM
How are you dealing with this?

Do like I did:

1. Focus on my marathon training plan for New York in November. Put in enough 40-50 mile weeks, and you won't have time to think about the Sox losing.
2. Dedicate more time to my Master's program.
3. Spend more time on my flowers and the yard.
4. Play with the dog and cats more.
5. Turn time with wife into better quality time.

Control what you can control, because the Sox are out of your control.

credefan24
07-26-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm going to play tennis tonight, and wack the heck out of that little yellow ball.

I sorta feel like this guy:

MsSoxVixen22
07-26-2006, 04:11 PM
I feel as though I have about a 500-pound weight on my shoulders.

I just keep trying to focus on how terrific it's going to feel when it's not there anymore and how I will laugh about all this in late October while drinking all that champagne.

Let's hope so! I love your optomism, Mary! I'm gonna be down the rest of the day. I think the Sox can turn it around but I remain cautiously optomistic. SOMEONE needs to get this team fired up!

spiffie
07-26-2006, 04:14 PM
I just don't know what to say anymore. I figured I'd just post and ask how everyone is doing? I know majority of you are like me and a win or a loss sets moods. How are you dealing with this? I have the feeling we will go on a run, but I wanna puke at the same time. I'm going nuts.
I'm fine. I have a very happy life. It sucks that the baseball team I support is having a bad patch, but there's not a whole lot I can do about that. So I hope they do better, and have to believe they will do so, and otherwise I just keep going on with my life.

PatK
07-26-2006, 04:20 PM
This must be what being a Cubs fan feels like.

russ99
07-26-2006, 04:20 PM
This team is listless and going through the motions. In my opinion, they've quit on Guillen. Guillen has to be the show. Ozzie needs to shut up and quit showing up his players. Bunting practice? Was there a freer swinger in Sox history than Guillen? He too was a lousy bunter. This team - like many professional sports teams before - has quit on their coach.

Wow. Awesome post. That didn't even cross my mind.

Could that really be it? :(:

Maybe Ozzie should quit fooling around with this beanball crap and the stupid press antics and re-connect with his team.

russ99
07-26-2006, 04:23 PM
This must be what being a Cubs fan feels like.

No. A being a cub fan is sort of like this, but also being oblivious to it all as long as the chicks, booze and Sammy-slams keep coming.

Sox fans care a lot more than that.

thomas35forever
07-26-2006, 04:23 PM
All I did was watch my Jimmy Fallon and Garfield DVDs. Maybe I'll go on a bike ride tonight. I'll probably listen to the Footloose tape I got out of the library yesterday since I plan on seeing it in Naperville this weekend. Everyone do something that will take your mind off these last two weeks, which I want back.

0o0o0
07-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Do like I did:

1. Focus on my marathon training plan for New York in November. Put in enough 40-50 mile weeks, and you won't have time to think about the Sox losing.

Awesome post! :thumbsup:

MadetoOrta
07-26-2006, 04:34 PM

Maybe Ozzie should quit fooling around with this beanball crap and the stupid press antics and re-connect with his team.

I hope to goodness I'm wrong but the "Ozzie Apologized to Garland" headline does make you wonder if they haven't turned on him. Guillen's spending more time on TV apologizing and explaining things away than shutting up and coaching. Have you ever heard of Joe Torre shooting his mouth off like this? If your players can't bunt, bench them or get rid of them. If your pitchers stink, put 'em in the bullpen. Do something except point your finger at the players. In the modern era where players make - in some cases - 9X more money than the coach, the coach had better be wary that he doesn't "lose his team."

Wordwoman
07-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Usually when there is an off day, I feel lost without my Sox. When Hawk mentioned the off day tomorrow, I felt relieved. I'll still be bummed about our downward trend, but hope springs eternal that Kenny will make some blockbuster trade that lights a fire under everybody.

TornLabrum
07-26-2006, 04:37 PM
I hope to goodness I'm wrong but the "Ozzie Apologized to Garland" headline does make you wonder if they haven't turned on him. Guillen's spending more time on TV apologizing and explaining things away than shutting up and coaching. Have you ever heard of Joe Torre shooting his mouth off like this? If your players can't bunt, bench them or get rid of them. If your pitchers stink, put 'em in the bullpen. Do something except point your finger at the players. In the modern era where players make - in some cases - 9X more money than the coach, the coach had better be wary that he doesn't "lose his team."
Did you actually read the article? The point was that they haven't turned on him.

EDIT: Oh, and I relieved my stress over the Sox by sending in my order for playoff tickets to the KC Cougars.

G-Ville Sox
07-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Like the earlier post mentioned...We cant control the White Sox.

To be honest, I have slowly started taking some emotion out of this season. During the first half, I would be so wound up on every pitch. When the Sox lose, it ruins my day (just like everyone else on this board). Once they lose I dont want to speak with anyone, and I do nothing but fight with my girlfriend.

So to rectify that, and keep my sanity, I have taken a little break. I have stopped watching every pitch of every game. I have checked in on the score about every 5-10 minutes. What that does...I know when they are losing, but I dont know when they gave up 2 out runs, or left the bases loaded. And thus far it has helped out since the start of the Twins series.

That said...its still only July 26th, there is still a lot of time, and we are playing pretty lousy. I find it hard to believe we are going to play .166 baseball the rest of the season. Keep in mind this time last season the Indians were around 15 games back and they made it pretty damn close in September, and we are a better team than Cleveland was last year. Detroit is going to hit a patch like we did last season at all. Bottom line, I am not losing the faith, but I am taking a more relaxed role for a bit.

If nothing else...the Chicago Bears reported to Training Camp today!

:gulp:

nebraskasox
07-26-2006, 04:40 PM

I know this is the same guy who led the team to the championship, but when the team underachieves, the manager has to share responsibility. The manager's job is to get them most from his players and manage the moves within the game. Ozzie right now doesn't seem to be getting the effort from his players. The in-game moves and frequent lineup changes seem about the same as last year. The difference is they are not working because the players are not executing.

Back to the original question - I'm trying to keep it in perspective since there are 62 more games. IF we can get hot, we should be OK. But I'm not a happy camper right now. I expected more from this team.

southside rocks
07-26-2006, 04:46 PM
You're wrong. :tongue:

Re-read the article.

Ozzie Guillen is not Joe Torre, and the White Sox are not owned by George Steinbrenner. For both those things, I am devoutly thankful.

Ozzie has never pointed fingers at his players during this. In Ozzie's own words, which I copy from Reifert's "Inside the White Sox" blog:

"People don't see how much these guys care and how much they want to win. I am the guy who goes into the clubhouse after a tough loss and turns the music on. When you are playing poorly, when a guy is struggling, that's when you need to put your arm around him and help him up. And when you are playing well, that's when you need to push them harder. That's my job."

The team has lost -- temporarily -- the ability to win, but Ozzie has not "lost his team." The idea is absurd. :rolleyes:

And as for "if your players can't bunt, bench them or get rid of them" -- huh???? Why not -- here's an idea -- teach them to bunt? It can be taught, it's not rocket science.

southside rocks
07-26-2006, 04:47 PM
EDIT: Oh, and I relieved my stress over the Sox by sending in my order for playoff tickets to the KC Cougars.

Lucky you. I turn for diversion to the Windy City Thunderbolts, and as quickly turn away again. :?:

mikesouthside
07-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Do like I did:

Sweet Lord...do you even have time for watching the Sox. You rock. Keep it going.

Scottzilla
07-26-2006, 04:49 PM
I've started smoking again after 6months. which is really bad since the only sox coverage i get is from this site and espn, tribune, etc.
The really sad thing is, theres alot of guys in here being harder on the team than the 'cubune'
I don't know if thats like we are family so it's ok to discuss it or if there's just some really negative people who are sox fans.

TornLabrum
07-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Lucky you. I turn for diversion to the Windy City Thunderbolts, and as quickly turn away again. :?:

Yeah, if it weren't for the Cougars, I'd only have the Sox and Jackhammers, and my wife would probably leave me for all the screaming and foul language.

MarySwiss
07-26-2006, 05:15 PM
I've started smoking again after 6months. which is really bad since the only sox coverage i get is from this site and espn, tribune, etc.
The really sad thing is, theres alot of guys in here being harder on the team than the 'cubune'
I don't know if thats like we are family so it's ok to discuss it or if there's just some really negative people who are sox fans.

Probably a little of both. And I don't usually nag people I don't know, but since you obviously want to quit smoking, I'll make an exception. Here goes.

QUIT SMOKING NOW! RIGHT NOW! DON'T MAKE ME COME OVER THERE!

Good luck. As an ex-smoker, I know it's not easy.:wink:

miker
07-26-2006, 05:16 PM
No. A being a cub fan is sort of like this, but also being oblivious to it all as long as the chicks, booze and Sammy-slams keep coming.

Sox fans care a lot more than that.
Maybe that's the problem. If supporting a winning team wasn't important to me, I wouldn't feel compelled to throw the remote at the TV everytime we pop-up with RISP or give up a two-out two-run hit to the opposition.

hold2dibber
07-26-2006, 05:22 PM

I disagree. I haven't seen evidence that they've quit on Ozzie. I think they want to win. They just aren't playing well. I remain cautiously optimistic that they'll turn it around - these are the same guys that were fantastic for the first 3 months of the season afterall - but I'm worried about the rotation (the bullpen seems solid to me now and the hitters are too good not to come out of their recent funk).

Timmy D's
07-26-2006, 06:14 PM

I smoked a pack and a half for 20 years, and quit over a 1,000 times(patches, gum, hypnosis). Nothing worked until I just promised myself NEVER again. I have been off the smokes for 4.5 years now. This lil verse helped me through some tough times. Someone sent it to me (I think it was originally for drugs, but honestly dont know it's origin or author), and I taped it to the inside of my wallet, figured I'd pass it along to ya.......

It boils down to choices and priorities. I had to admit that I was addicted. That means I can never have just one cigarette. Then I had to choose being a nonsmoker over being a smoker. I'm still addicted to cigarettes, just not as a smoker any more. The addiction will always be there. It will only take one and I'll be a smoker again, along with all the problems that go with smoking. I make a daily choice to be a non-smoker. Just for today I'm not going to smoke. Maybe tomorrow, but not today!! :wink:

Black 47
07-26-2006, 06:17 PM
I think they'll turn it around.

Jim Busby
07-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Every since they put change their Pitching Rotation, They have been lossing.
You don't change a winning hand.

soxjim
07-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Going about my normal routine. I'm shell shocked just like the team is.

wassagstdu
07-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Total BS. There is no quit in this team, and when they were winning Ozzie's "antics" were credited for keeping pressure off them. And what on earth does Ozzie's bunting ability have to do with anything? Maybe he wishes someone had given him bunting practice (stipulating that what you say is true, which I do not believe).

You don't like Ozzie. I do. I think he has proven himself as a manager (which by the way is what his position is called in baseball), and if you can't see that you must have missed 2005.