PDA

View Full Version : Rampant Booing

JohnBasedowYoda
07-26-2006, 03:33 PM
All the booing at the park is making me mad. I'm fine with venting and crying here at WSI but support needs to be given at USCF. Didn anyone notice all the booing during todays traveshamockery? I had the radio on and it was loud and clear alll day man. Ughhhh I know this is brutal but yelling at Cotts isn't going to help.

If you feel the need to boo, go get a funnel cake

Erik The Red
07-26-2006, 03:36 PM
The way the Sox are playing, they deserve it. They're professional ballplayers, if they don't want to hear the booing they should march their asses out there and play the way they're capable of playing.

MVP
I don't like to boo myself, but at this point the fans have a right to boo and express their displeasure. As long as it doesn't go past booing, I'm okay with it.

JohnBasedowYoda
You missed the point, I don't want to hear booing :tongue:

But I was hearing it right away in the 1st inning, that's just getting nuts

North Sox Sider
07-26-2006, 03:37 PM
I diont have any problem with the booing. I think the team needs to know that the fans are very frustrated watching this garbage on the field lately. I have no problem with fans booing. We pay a lot of money to see a quality play on the field. I know the players are frustated too but at the end of the day they get paid a lot of money to play this game. Fans do have a right to boo and let there frustration be heard.

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 03:38 PM
All the booing at the park is making me mad. I'm fine with venting and crying here at WSI but support needs to be given at USCF. Didn anyone notice all the booing during todays traveshamockery? I had the radio on and it was loud and clear alll day man. Ughhhh I know this is brutal but yelling at Cotts isn't going to help.

I agree with you, JBY. I'm not saying that we have to be cheering for them constantly. IMO, sometimes silence in a packed stadium can be more devastating than booing.

getonbckthr
07-26-2006, 03:39 PM
When team expectations are high, and they are set by the team and the fans, and failure to meet those expectations aren't met, there is a reason to boo. Just like when the team is playing well and we cheer its because they are giving a reason to cheer.

Xx i am error xX
07-26-2006, 03:45 PM
:(:

slobes
07-26-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm not a fan of the booing either. Geez back in March, I never woulda guessed that we would be having this discussion about the Sox.

Dice
07-26-2006, 03:48 PM
I think they deserve the booing. There is no doubt about it. Sox fans will not continue to sit around and watch them play like this. They're better than this and we as Sox fans deserve better.

Grinder rule number #49:
"When north side style ball is played at the Cell...it's time to boo"

WSox8404
**** that. When you have a team that is supposed to go far again and they are playing with their heads completely up their asses the fans there have every right in the world to boo. We used to get on Cub fans for not caring and simply showing up and watching the **** on the field. Now we aren't supposed to boo either? Pshhh.

PatK
The Sox could turn that into rampant cheering.

SoxFan78
07-26-2006, 03:49 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOO
BOOOOOOOOOOO
BOOOOOOOOOOO

I feel better now

MVP

I wish the Sox didn't want to hear booing as much as you. Maybe that would make them play a little better.

JohnBasedowYoda
I agree with you, JBY. I'm not saying that we have to be cheering for them constantly. IMO, sometimes silence in a packed stadium can be more devastating than booing.

Wow, been years since we agreed:smile:

The only time I can remember booing is when I directed it towards Chris Singleton or Ray-ray Durham

Chicken Dinner
07-26-2006, 03:51 PM
If they weren't booing they'd be swearing. Booing is more socially accepted and a way fans express there displeasure at underachieving millionares.

The Dude
07-26-2006, 03:54 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself Yoda! As bad as I feel and as most of us here feel, I still can't bring myself to boo because it can't help the team. Booing only makes a player/team feel worse and doesnt help their psyche. Of course if you pay for a ticket, you have the right to boo.

The only way I would boo one of my players if he continually dogged it on plays ala Manny & Aramis Ramirez.

AuroraSoxFan
07-26-2006, 03:59 PM
They should be glad people are there to boo. Unless they wanna go back to the days of playing in front of 18-22 thousand they better listen to those boos and start playing some ball.

NoShoesJoe
07-26-2006, 04:04 PM
If they weren't booing they'd be swearing. Booing is more socially accepted and a way fans express there displeasure at underachieving millionares.

Really! We BUY our tickets. We BUY the merchandise. We ARE customers. If we are not SATISFIED customers we have a RIGHT to show our DISPLEASURE. BOO away, I say. It's a part of sports, always has been. And it's your God given right to do so.

sox102
07-26-2006, 04:06 PM
You pay to see the team so you earned the right to boo. THey make millions of dollars and don't play like it lately. Boo to your hearts content! :mad: :mad:

MadetoOrta
07-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Booing is nothing. Imagine if they were a European soccer team-they'd have trouble getting out of the parking lot. Boo louder and louder. Bring up Fields and Sweeney. Maybe just maybe it can light a fire under someone's *&^

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 04:11 PM
My feelings are clear on this. The fans have the right to boo if they feel the team is playing poorly.

I could see not doing it if this is youth league, high school or even college but these are professional athletes getting paid millions of dollars to perform.

They know the stakes when they become professionals.

Sox fans expect better they have demanded it for decades. This is nothing new.

And again if you think it's bad in Chicago try playing in New York or Philly.

Fans boo because fans give a damn.

Lip

whitesoxfan14
07-26-2006, 04:13 PM
well it's weird to know they're booing....it's odd to think that we won the world series last year, and now we're being booed. If someone really good comes in to help the team out, then maybe those boos will become cheers and chants again

NoShoesJoe
07-26-2006, 04:16 PM
well it's weird to know they're booing....it's odd to think that we won the world series last year, and now we're being booed. If someone really good comes in to help the team out, then maybe those boos will become cheers and chants again

D'uh. It's not like we don't love them. It's like a marriage. Sick of getting ragged on.

CaptainBallz
07-26-2006, 04:23 PM
It's going to happen. Trust me, I can't wait for it to stop only because that will mean that this team is playing like the world ****ing class team that we KNOW they are. But really, there's other issues at hand here...

chisoxmike
07-26-2006, 04:25 PM
I haven't gotten to the booing...yet!

But, Sox fans have every ****ing right to boo the **** out of this pathetic effort this team has given the past few weeks. We expect them to play better than this, and they're not. This is a much better team that has not shown up this month and we have every right to boo.

Buehrle ran his ****ing mouth off in Spring Training say something to the effect how can you go wrong with our 1-5??? Well, Mark..you can.

The Sox are really playing like **** right row and derserved to be booed.
Does that make you less of a fan...I say no.

southside rocks
07-26-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm not a fan of the booing either. Geez back in March, I never woulda guessed that we would be having this discussion about the Sox.
Same here. I will never boo the Sox, but many people will -- and booing is the result of prolonged periods of bad play. I don't like to hear it, but the only thing that can stop it is the team playing better.

And there are about 1100 calories in a funnel cake, by the way. :o:

QCIASOXFAN
07-26-2006, 04:27 PM
I would have cared if the fans were booing our squad a week ago but now they deserve it. They have been stinking the place up.

Cat Thief
Boy, what a difference 8 months can make. I remember people around here telling stories about how they cried when the Sox won it all. How that Championship was for their father or mother who had passed away and never seen a World Series. Hell, I have a whole book of dedications at home.

I agree it is your right to boo as a paying fan. But, maybe some of that energy should go into the Lets Go White Sox chant or something else more constructive. The crowds lately have been lame. It was louder last year a lot of the time with 18,000 there. I know, tell me there has been nothing to cheer about. Maybe during a couple of the last 11 sellouts people should have got off of their ass in the first inning and cheered. Things might be a little different. A slight chance I know, but still a chance.

I guess my point is many people have really short ****ing memories around here. I don't like my team being booed in my park. If they sucked all year, then that would be a different story. What really pisses me off is the *******s booing who probably weren't at a game before Sept. 2005 and there is a lot of them there.

We might as well just litter the field too.

Wordwoman
Lots of athletes are head cases. Cliff Politte is a good example. The harder he tried, the worse he pitched. Do you really think that booing-------something that is definitely your right to do-------will help turn around a struggling player? Another example of that is A Rod. Has the booing in NY helped him earn his salary or helped him live up to his potential?

Mots09
07-26-2006, 04:29 PM

These players make millions. People who support them are probably just making ends meat and they have the right to voice thier opinion whichever way they want to as long as it doesn't turn physical.

Fact of the matter is if players don't like the boos then find a different profession.

thomas35forever
07-26-2006, 04:30 PM
I don't want our fans to boo, but if they're going to play like trash, then they need to know what others think of trash. I'm not saying they deserve it, but fans have a right to let their players know what they think of the team. The boos better be cheers when they get back from their road trip.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Cat:

It may not be fair but in professional sports it comes with the territory...what have you done lately?

If the crowds have been lame perhaps better play would 'energize' them.

Lip

Dan Mega
07-26-2006, 04:37 PM
2 seats at USCF at face value + ticketmaster fees + any other charges = can get expensive. 2 tickets in the outfield can run you almost $90 now. Add in beer/food/souveneir/train or parking ticket purchases and you have quite an expensive night.

People will boo if they don't see the Sox winning while dropping that kind of cash. This isn't freaking Wrigley field.

Mots09
07-26-2006, 04:38 PM
People will boo if they don't see the Sox winning while dropping that kind of cash. This isn't freaking Wrigley field.

Can't say it any better

chisoxmike
07-26-2006, 04:42 PM

Exactly...it isn't cheep going to game these days. I dont expect the team to win every game, nor do I expect them to play championship callaber ball everynight,but, constant ****ty play like they have been when THEY ARN'T A ****TY TEAM will get the deserved boos from the fans.

CaptainBallz
07-26-2006, 04:53 PM
We might as well just litter the field too.

So, I can look to you to start the wave when they're down by five and playing like a sack of loaded diapers? Because that's really gotten their juices flowing lately. :rolleyes:

I get really ticked when people don't participate in chants during very chant-worthy times of the game. I'm going to start bringin it up ALL the time until the slump is over...

JB98
07-26-2006, 04:55 PM
I don't mind the booing as much as I mind stupid jackasses starting the wave when the game is tied 1-1 in the seventh. I saw it Saturday night against Texas, and again last night. Ridiculous and embarrassing. Watch the damn game.

Cat Thief
07-26-2006, 05:02 PM

So, I can look to you to start the wave when they're down by five and playing like a sack of loaded diapers? Because that's really gotten their juices flowing lately. :rolleyes:

I get really ticked when people don't participate in chants during very chant-worthy times of the game. I'm going to start bringin it up ALL the time until the slump is over...

Start the wave? ***?

I'll tell you what, go boo and cry how much it costs to see a team that is 59-41.

StatHead21
07-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Yeah ok, lets all become Cub fans so we can cheer for a losing team.

They deserve every bit of it and they know they do and they can handle it.

Nothing worse than paying 20-40$ to see them play like garbage

miker
07-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Well, it does seem ridiculous to high-five your buddy's when Mark gives up yet another dinger...

Chisox003
07-26-2006, 05:31 PM
A couple of bad games, I say ANY booing is absolutely ridiculous.

After 3 weeks of bad games, I don't think it really matters. It's ugly right now.

Law11
07-26-2006, 05:33 PM
They're not booing..
They are saying..
Boo-urns...

Honestly..
The last time I booed at an event was the Bear/Panther game last year.
That game was worthy of more than booing..

alohafri
07-26-2006, 05:38 PM

The only time I can remember booing is when I directed it towards Chris Singleton or Ray-ray Durham

That could not even compare to the booing done by Steff and Mrs. Aloha towards Royce "The Choice"!

BeviBall!
07-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Save the booing for John Rocker or E-Rod. People that boo their own team are spineless.

miker
07-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Save the booing for John Rocker or E-Rod. People that boo their own team are spineless.
And your personally approved device for showing displeasure with one's own team would be...?

BainesHOF
07-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Of course you have a right to boo, but if you boo just because you're not seeing things go right at a given moment I think you come across as a petulant child, and one who really doesn't understand the game and the difficulties involved in succeeding at it.

I think it's appropriate to boo a player when he doesn't hustle, commits a mental blunder or says stupid, ignorant things in the media. Also a manager when he repeatedly makes questionable moves.

In general I believe you should support your team and players as long as they're giving an honest effort. If you don't, what kind of fan are you? A bandwagoner?

The instant gratification expectations in our society are pathetic.

Rdubb4
07-26-2006, 06:20 PM
The White Sox deserve a standing ovation after every pitch, no matter what the score. How is it spineless to boo subpar effort? I think it is spineless to sit around and take it without doing anything. If the multi-millionaires get their precious psyches damaged, than oh well. Baseball is a tough game.

nasox
07-26-2006, 06:25 PM
If you don't want to pay $40 a ticket to see a team, then ****ing don't. Don't boo them, just don't ****ing go see them. More concourse space for me.

Troupis
07-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Booing :angry: is much less embarrasing to do in public than crying :whiner: .

Only Thome, Dye and Soriano are out of my boo house.:redface:

100 Year Itch
07-26-2006, 06:27 PM
It is bad timing to lose so many games in the midst of a home sellout streak.

White Sox popularity was peaking at the ASB, attendence was spiking and the team laid a egg.
:puking:

Hawkeroo1980
07-26-2006, 06:29 PM

people boo for a reason.....just remember that.

Consistantly giving up 2-3 runs in the first couple innings is worth a boo fest once in a while

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 06:29 PM
And your personally approved device for showing displeasure with one's own team would be...?

Silence. IMO, booing riles up the other team, which is the exact opposite of what you want to do.

Have you ever been on stage in front of a lot of people? I have and the worst is when the crowd gives you absolutely no reaction.

Chicken Dinner
07-26-2006, 06:36 PM
The "MVP" chant is always an option.

Rdubb4
07-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Silence. IMO, booing riles up the other team, which is the exact opposite of what you want to do.

Have you ever been on stage in front of a lot of people? I have and the worst is when the crowd gives you absolutely no reaction.

Silence could mean anything. It could mean that everyones too drunk and doesnt even care how the team on the field performs, or the players could be psychic and read the collective mind of the crowd to sense the collective displeasure.

soxjim
07-26-2006, 06:39 PM
For the most part I don't boo. Today at work I was asked to clean up my language or turn the game off. I turned the game off.:angry:

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Silence could mean anything. It could mean that everyones too drunk and doesnt even care how the team on the field performs, or the players could be psychic and read the collective mind of the crowd to sense the collective displeasure.

Hmmm...US Cellular field with over 30K (Hell even over 20K) can be very loud. Earlier in the season many of the players commented about how great it was to have big crowds and all that support in April and May. They know that we aren't like the Wrigley Field crowd (get drunk and don't care). I think if the place is packed but quiet (so quiet you may even be able to hear Asian hot dog lady), they'll get the message. However, I don't expect that to ever happen. Too many people at the game take pleasure in exhibiting boorish behavior and will continue to disrespect the players.

jenn2080
07-26-2006, 06:43 PM

or Marte ;-)

I agree I am not liking this booing. Sure we are all frustrated beyond our wildest dreams, but what is booing going to do?

Rdubb4
07-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Hmmm...US Cellular field with over 30K (Hell even over 20K) can be very loud. Earlier in the season many of the players commented about how great it was to have big crowds and all that support in April and May. They know that we aren't like the Wrigley Field crowd (get drunk and don't care). I think if the place is packed but quiet (so quiet you may even be able to hear Asian hot dog lady), they'll get the message. However, I don't expect that to ever happen. Too many people at the game take pleasure in exhibiting boorish behavior and will continue to disrespect the players.

How is booing disrespecting the players? The players laid an egg this soldout homestand, are they disrespecting the fans? Like someone earlier said, go to a European sporting event and if the home team plays like the Sox have the past 2 weeks, booing would be the most pleasant sound you would hear.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

whitesoxwilkes
07-26-2006, 06:45 PM

Agreed. The opposite of really liking someone/something in my eyes is indifference.

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 06:51 PM
How is booing disrespecting the players? The players laid an egg this soldout homestand, are they disrespecting the fans? Like someone earlier said, go to a European sporting event and if the home team plays like the Sox have the past 2 weeks, booing would be the most pleasant sound you would hear.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I know that we are never going to agree on this, but IMO, by booing you are giving the players the message that you are fair-weathered. That you are only there for them when they win. It's easy as hell to stand by a team when they are winning, but it takes guts to stand by a team when they ar taking it on the chin. IMO, by booing you are taking the easy way out and "washing your hands of it". I'm going to stand by my team. I'm not going to clap when they play ****ty, but I'm not booing them either.

Heffalump
07-26-2006, 07:14 PM
I know that we are never going to agree on this, but IMO, by booing you are giving the players the message that you are fair-weathered. That you are only there for them when they win. It's easy as hell to stand by a team when they are winning, but it takes guts to stand by a team when they ar taking it on the chin. IMO, by booing you are taking the easy way out and "washing your hands of it". I'm going to stand by my team. I'm not going to clap when they play ****ty, but I'm not booing them either.

I gotta agree with this. Last year, during the big swoon down from our 15 game lead, I was one of those VERY dark clouds that going nuts, but now I see the truth. Its not like the Sox aren't trying to win, its just that they don;t have ANYTHING clicking right now! Booing is only adding more pressure on top of that. I was at today's game, and I just sat there in disgust - both at the Sox performance and the fan's booing at the end.

They will pull out of this and compete for BOTH the division and the wild card. Remember, there are two full months left in the season and this team is too good to keep losing like this.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 07:17 PM
"Save the booing for John Rocker or E-Rod. People that boo their own team are spineless."

Or it could be that folks who don't boo when the team is playing like crap and look lifeless are 'sheep' no?

Lip

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 07:23 PM
"Save the booing for John Rocker or E-Rod. People that boo their own team are spineless."

Or it could be that folks who don't boo when the team is playing like crap and look lifeless are 'sheep' no?

Lip
Lifeless, maybe. Sheep, no.

Paulwny
07-26-2006, 07:25 PM
" ."

Lip

or cub fans

Chicken Dinner
07-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Just because you have an arguement with your spouse, doesn't mean you don't care or don't respect them.

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 07:27 PM
or cub fans

Have you forgotten that cub fans boo their players quite often? I would think that you guys wouldn't want to be like them and start booing when things go south. Look at how much good all their booing earlier in the season helped them.

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Just because you have an arguement with your spouse, doesn't mean you don't care or don't respect them.

I don't boo my girlfriend when that happens. I don't talk to her and she gets the message real quick.

Paulwny
07-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Have you forgotten that cub fans boo their players quite often? I would think that you guys wouldn't want to be like them and start booing when things go south. Look at how much good all their booing earlier in the season helped them.

I believe the booing by cub fans came into vogue this year, it was "lovable losers " in previous years.

Kwrubac
07-26-2006, 07:36 PM
All the booing at the park is making me mad. I'm fine with venting and crying here at WSI but support needs to be given at USCF. Didn anyone notice all the booing during todays traveshamockery?

BURGAFLICKIL!!! Yea i'm not a fan of booing either, but the frustration is just overwhelming lately....

BeviBall!
07-26-2006, 07:41 PM

I get over it.

BeviBall!
07-26-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm going to stand by my team. I'm not going to clap when they play ****ty, but I'm not booing them either.

There it is. Booing is the ultimate sign of fair-weatheredness and it makes you look like a clown.

soxfanatlanta
07-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Silence. <snip>Have you ever been on stage in front of a lot of people? I have and the worst is when the crowd gives you absolutely no reaction.

Kinda reminds me of the scene in Blood Sport when everybody turned their backs on Chong Li

http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/bloodsportchunglii.jpg

Personally, I won't boo the home team. But collectively trying to get a sellout crowd to all sit there in absolute silence would be pretty tough, eh? I'd love to treat poor play with silence, but I am too busy trying not to yell "mother****er"! So I compromise and yell AAARRRRGHHHH!

And then medicate with churros.

But people have the right to boo. I don't like it, but like other posters have written, they paid good coin to get in.

vegyrex
07-26-2006, 08:00 PM
I'll never boo a Sox team.

But I'm not really upset by the fans who are booing.

These last couple of weeks have been brutal.

Chicago already has a losing team, it doesn't need another.

LETS GO WHITE SOX!!!

Martinigirl
07-26-2006, 08:30 PM
I was at the game and I was annoyed by all the booing, but I guess I understood it. On the other hand, when people were booing Buerhle, all I could think was that no one is more disgusted with his pitching than he is.

I don't think I could ever boo players that I truly believe are trying. It is one thing if people are phoning it in, and don't seem to give a **** when they are losing, but the Sox players really do seem to care and are as upset, if not more, than the fans.

wassagstdu
07-26-2006, 09:07 PM
I know that we are never going to agree on this, but IMO, by booing you are giving the players the message that you are fair-weathered. That you are only there for them when they win. It's easy as hell to stand by a team when they are winning, but it takes guts to stand by a team when they are taking it on the chin. IMO, by booing you are taking the easy way out and "washing your hands of it". I'm going to stand by my team. I'm not going to clap when they play ****ty, but I'm not booing them either.

Right!

If you say you support the team and yet you boo them, that means to me that you think you care more about their winning than they do -- or that you think you could do better. Maybe there are some good players on this board, but I seriously doubt that the Sox care less about winning than any of us do. The thing to do is show them you are pulling for them to straighten it out and you are not going to turn on them because you believe they will straighten it out.

Bobbo35
07-26-2006, 09:16 PM
There is no way there should be booing. The players know what they playing like crap. That is for the north side.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-26-2006, 09:32 PM
There is no way there should be booing. The players know what they playing like crap. That is for the north side.

I agree! What's next, throwing garbage on the field? :mad:

kitekrazy
07-26-2006, 09:43 PM
When team expectations are high, and they are set by the team and the fans, and failure to meet those expectations aren't met, there is a reason to boo. Just like when the team is playing well and we cheer its because they are giving a reason to cheer.

Plus they are professional ball players. Not little kids or the Cubs. When you suck you just have to agree with it and try to make good plays.

It's part of the game.

viagracat
07-26-2006, 10:02 PM
I very rarely boo the Sox; I just don't see what good it does. However, all the preaching in the world here is not going to change things; the masses are going to do so when things don't go well. It happens in every ball park. Trying to educate people on the negative aspects of booing is kind of like hoping winter won't come this year.

areilly
07-26-2006, 10:14 PM
If you're not going to give it to them when they're tanking beyond decent and normal levels of crappiness, then don't you dare applaud them when they play like the team we all know (or at least hope) they are.

We as fans have the right (some will say duty) to express satisfaction or displeasure with what's happening on the field. This is how we fit into the sports equation. These guys are representing my city and are getting my money; I'd like them to know when they're letting me down on either fronts, just as I'd like them to know when they're making me proud of the t-shirt I'm wearing.

I seem to recall this very team's advertising company declaring "there is nothing lovable about losing." Stop the coddling already and let's get the winning on.

I don't mind a team that loses but I do object to watching guys who look like losers out there. There's a difference.

BainesHOF
07-26-2006, 10:22 PM
I hope the people who are booing now get booed and hear all kinds of stupid garbage yelled at them tomorrow at their jobs.

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 10:23 PM
If you're not going to give it to them when they're tanking beyond decent and normal levels of crappiness, then don't you dare applaud them when they play like the team we all know (or at least hope) they are.

What? How in the world does this make any sense in your world?

We as fans have the right (some will say duty) to express satisfaction or displeasure with what's happening on the field. This is how we fit into the sports equation. These guys are representing my city and are getting my money; I'd like them to know when they're letting me down on either fronts, just as I'd like them to know when they're making me proud of the t-shirt I'm wearing.

I seem to recall this very team's advertising company declaring "there is nothing lovable about losing." Stop the coddling already and let's get the winning on.

I don't mind a team that loses but I do object to watching guys who look like losers out there. There's a difference.

Coddling? I don't see how not booing is coddling them. Geez, you're acting like we walk up to each player after they make a ****ty play or at bat and give them ice cream.

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 10:25 PM
I hope the people who are booing now get booed and hear all kinds of stupid garbage yelled at them tomorrow at their jobs.
Yeah, I was thinking that earlier too. Good point. I bet most of these guys who do boo wouldn't be able to take the boos like our team has.

McCuddy
07-26-2006, 10:25 PM

The day I get eight mil for my gig, I'll take the booing.

I was at the game today - section 152. What I heard more than booing? Riding Podsednik for lollygagging his way over to a ball that ended up a double. Not booing - cries of "Let's see some hustle." And, I think they were right.

BainesHOF
07-26-2006, 10:29 PM
People with class treat others how they'd like to be treated. What somebody makes is irrelevant.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Baines:

If I could get paid what these guys get paid, I'd put up with the booing at my job.

Lip

kitekrazy
07-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Do you have a job? If so, work at a lousy performance level for a few days and see if you get booed. There have been times I would prefer that over what bosses do.

Besides it's just fans venting their frustrations.

Save McCuddy's
07-26-2006, 10:34 PM
I don't mind the booing as much as I mind stupid jackasses starting the wave when the game is tied 1-1 in the seventh. I saw it Saturday night against Texas, and again last night. Ridiculous and embarrassing. Watch the damn game.

Amen. If you can't watch the game, your booing rights may be revoked.

FarWestChicago
07-26-2006, 10:47 PM
People with class treat others how they'd like to be treated. What somebody makes is irrelevant.This is true. However, those who have no class are not aware of it and are convinced they are in the right.

FarWestChicago
07-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Baines:

If I could get paid what these guys get paid, I'd put up with the booing at my job.

LipMaybe if you stuck to writing, which you are good at, instead of trolling message boards you could make more of a fraction of what the players make. :D:

TDog
07-27-2006, 06:36 AM
When I was taking my little brother to games, he booed the Sox once. I taught im the proper time to boo. Blatantly bad calls that go against the Sox should be booed. Knockdown pitches, intentional walks. Giving up a home run or striking out with men on base are different.

I have always seen booing at the ballpark, though. In the 2000 postseason (all of 2 games at home) a lot of people booed Frank Thomas before it was all over. There was someone who wrote a poem about about the sounds of Old Comiskey Park, one of them being shouts of "Thigpen, you suck." Billy Koch could inspire boos before throwing a pitch before his time was through. But the silence was more effective in expressing disgust. Once when he came in and game up a home run, there was disgust ot be sure, but my section in left field was pretty much silent except for one man who simply said "un-friggin' believable." That felt worse than booing.

It was like they the people in the park didn't even respect Koch enough to boo him.

spiffie
07-27-2006, 09:45 AM
My boss doesn't have to boo me. She can and would fire me if I did my job with a failure rate of 75% like the Sox have had lately. I think the booing has gotten out of hand from time to time, but I can't say I don't understand it. Booing is the fruit of frustration, and love. I can't be indifferent to the things I love, that's when I've lost all feeling for them. Though I have been rather silent at the games lately because it hurts too much to yell.

I saw the wave being attempted on Monday when we were down 6-2. I was in shock.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-27-2006, 10:27 AM

These players make millions. People who support them are probably just making ends meat and they have the right to voice thier opinion whichever way they want to as long as it doesn't turn physical.

Fact of the matter is if players don't like the boos then find a different profession.

I really don't care how this makes the players feel or not. I was more interested in if it actually makes you feel good inside or not. Do you feel better plopping $40 for a game to stand there and "Boooooooooo"?:rolleyes:

CaptainBallz
07-27-2006, 10:43 AM
I really don't care how this makes the players feel or not. I was more interested in if it actually makes you feel good inside or not. Do you feel better plopping $40 for a game to stand there and "Boooooooooo"?:rolleyes:

It usually occurs at a point in the game where nothing short of a miracle could make people feel better inside. That's when it happens.

Listen, there's thousands of years of sports fanhood at work that isn't going to "shamed away" here at WSI. If you don't feel like participating, that's fine. But I'm willing to bet that those that are so against it will either be swearing to themselves, grumbling to whoever they're with, or leaving their seats to "walk it off". They'll know darn well why there's booing going on. Nobody does it because they're getting a kick out of it.

Chisox1500
07-27-2006, 10:54 AM
How many of us have jobs that people pay money to watch? The argument of how would you like it if people booed you at work is absurd. The players are paid millions of dollars to entertain crowds.

If they fail miserably, fans have the right to show their displeasure. Just like fans can give curtain calls when pleased.

Since when did WHITE SOX fans become such uncaring and unrealistic lemmings? This team was known to have smart and tough fans. Now we are debating booing?

If these players don't want to be booed don't blow an 11 game lead and fall into third place. If they don't want to be booed go somewhere that the fans just go out to the ballpark for food, sun and drink.

Paulwny
07-27-2006, 11:14 AM
How many of us have jobs that people pay money to watch? The argument of how would you like it if people booed you at work is absurd. The players are paid millions of dollars to entertain crowds.

If they fail miserably, fans have the right to show their displeasure. Just like fans can give curtain calls when pleased.

Since when did WHITE SOX fans become such uncaring and unrealistic lemmings? This team was known to have smart and tough fans. Now we are debating booing?

If these players don't want to be booed don't blow an 11 game lead and fall into third place. If they don't want to be booed go somewhere that the fans just go out to the ballpark for food, sun and drink.

THANK YOU,
If a player doesn't live up to expectations he/she should expect to be booed. Although havivg decent numbers, A-Rod is perceived by yankmee fans as being non-clutch. For > $20 mil/yr they demand a clutch performance.
If a player/performer can't handle being booed he/she chose the wrong profession.

BeviBall!
07-27-2006, 11:31 AM
But I'm willing to bet that those that are so against it will either be swearing to themselves, grumbling to whoever they're with, or leaving their seats to "walk it off".

That's what I do and that's a world of difference from booing.