PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting numbers

Iwritecode
07-26-2006, 02:13 PM
During this slide that began with the Series against the Red Sox, I've been wondering if the problem has been the offense or the pitching. It seems both have gotten worse.

In the last 14 games the pitching has given up 5.64 RPG. Just a little bit more than the 5.03 RPG they gave up in all the other games. The offense on the other hand has completely fallen off the face of the earth. They went from scoring 6.4 RPG to 3.64!

Compare that to all of last year when they scored 4.57 RPG but only gave up 3.98.

I just am amazed at how much worse the pitching has been this year and how much the offense bailed it out in the beginning of the season.

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 02:23 PM
During this slide that began with the Series against the Red Sox, I've been wondering if the problem has been the offense or the pitching. It seems both have gotten worse.

In the last 14 games the pitching has given up 5.64 RPG. Just a little bit more than the 5.03 RPG they gave up in all the other games. The offense on the other hand has completely fallen off the face of the earth. They went from scoring 6.4 RPG to 3.64!

Compare that to all of last year when they scored 4.57 RPG but only gave up 3.98.

I just am amazed at how much worse the pitching has been this year and how much the offense bailed it out in the beginning of the season.

I agree that the pitching is worse than last year, but it seems to me that the pitching has been improved over the last week/week and a half and that our offense has been letting us down.

I need to look at the numbers, but if the pitching has indeed improved, I think this is a major positive. Hitting goes in cycles and I am sure that it will pick up again shortly, and if the pithcing is there when that happens that is when every other team needs to watch out.

Edit: Meh...ok, Buehrle still needs some work.

Iwritecode
07-26-2006, 02:32 PM
I agree that the pitching is worse than last year, but it seems to me that the pitching has been improved over the last week/week and a half and that our offense has been letting us down.

I need to look at the numbers, but if the pitching has indeed improved, I think this is a major positive. Hitting goes in cycles and I am sure that it will pick up again shortly, and if the pithcing is there when that happens that is when every other team needs to watch out.

Improved compared to what? Since the break they've given up 6 runs or more 5 times. They've had a couple of games where they only give up a couple of runs but then the offense falls asleep.

In the first half it seemed like they could string together five or six starts where they didn't give up more than 4 or 5 runs.

roadrunner
07-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Our offense is similar to the 04 team. Sure we are in the league leaders in a number of categories but those stats are padded by a handful of games in which the offense exploded. Also, we seem to have padded stats against lousy pitching while good pitching has shut us down.

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Improved compared to what? Since the break they've given up 6 runs or more 5 times. They've had a couple of games where they only give up a couple of runs but then the offense falls asleep.

In the first half it seemed like they could string together five or six starts where they didn't give up more than 4 or 5 runs.

I stated that it seems to me that the pitching has improved in the last week or so since the start of the slump without looking at the numbers. Now that I have looked at the numbers, I am right:

Dates/////// 5 runs or less // more than 5 runs
July 1-16 // 3 times (25%) // 9 times (75%)
July 18-25 // 6 times (75%) // 2 times (25%)

Now do you get what I was saying?

Iwritecode
07-26-2006, 03:02 PM
I stated that it seems to me that the pitching has improved in the last week or so since the start of the slump without looking at the numbers. Now that I have looked at the numbers, I am right:

Dates/////// 5 runs or less // more than 5 runs
July 1-16 // 3 times (25%) // 9 times (75%)
July 18-25 // 6 times (75%) // 2 times (25%)

Now do you get what I was saying?

Sure. I just didn't know what time frame you were comparing the past week and a half to.

oscars gamble
07-26-2006, 03:05 PM
When is Coop going to start fixing it, like I have been told by so many?

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Sure. I just didn't know what time frame you were comparing the past week and a half to.

Ok. So, other than today, the pitching has been giving me some hope that it is coming around. I just want the hitting back!

Iwritecode
07-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Ok. So, other than today, the pitching has been giving me some hope that it is coming around. I just want the hitting back!

I'm about ready to go out and plaster some "missing" posters all over the place.

Missing - White Sox offense.
Last seen - Somewhere around the beginning of July

If found please return to 333 W 35th St, Chicago, IL

HITMEN OF 77
07-26-2006, 05:52 PM
We may have lost 2 of 3 to Boston, but IMO our slide started when the 9th inning when AJ fouled out against the Yankees a week or so back.