PDA

View Full Version : Righty/Lefty Lefty/Righty thing

Chicken Dinner
07-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Anyone else sick of Ozzies obssession with the righty/lefty lefty/righty match-ups. Last night he substituted 3 pinch hitters (cold off the bench) so he could have the lefty/righty thing. No pinch hitters did anything. We've seen Thornton throw bb's and Ozzie pulls him for a righty/lefty matchup.

He needs to throw that part of the textbook away and leave pitchers and hitters in if their having a decent day. Bringing cold hitters into the game just because of a matchup isn't always a wise decision. This is the AL.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 11:49 AM
I am.

There's only one Tony LaRussa and Ozzie isn't him.

Lip

MadetoOrta
07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm sick of the LaRussa book too.

AuroraSoxFan
07-26-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm a bit fed up with that too. Especially in Anderson's case. Sorry, but if he's gonna have a REAL major league career than YES he will have to face righty pitchers at some point in his life. The way they shield him from that is only slowing his development.

And last night it was pretty foolish to put in 3 guys fresh off the bench just to get that matchup.

Law11
07-26-2006, 12:10 PM
YES. Its as ridiculous as the ever changing lineup..

slobes
07-26-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm definitely tired of it. I have faith that BA can hit righties, and that AJ and Scottie can get some good swings in against lefties. He's taken guys out before when they have a couple of hits or have hit the ball really hard that game already. I think part of it is that he's fretting (though he'll never admit it) over this little slide the team is having. He may be over-analyzing some things because of it.

Patrick134
07-26-2006, 12:38 PM
When the team as a whole is slumping, every decision looks bad. Relax.

jenn2080
07-26-2006, 12:50 PM
the whole righty lefty match up thing is WEAK. i dont like it.

tebman
07-26-2006, 12:56 PM
When the team as a whole is slumping, every decision looks bad. Relax.
That's true. But even when the Sox were winning consistently, Ozzie was locked in to the righty-lefty matchup. I'm not a slavish stathead, but I'd sure like to see the BA/OPS numbers to justify the righty-lefty obsession, as compared to numbers for individual hitters against individual pitchers regardless of the R/L matchup. I'd really be surprised if the difference is that significant.

jongarlandlover
07-26-2006, 01:01 PM
I am totally sick of it. Bringing 3 guys off the bench was not a good idea last night, it was just frustrating.

Oh, and he really have to bench lefties almost every time we face a lefty? There's a lot of lefties in the Central, Ozzie's going to have to realize that.

Jjav829
07-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Righties are hitting .145 off of Nathan. Lefties are hitting .232. That's a pretty big difference. Add in that Uribe is a career 0-7 with 3 K against Nathan, Anderson is a career 0-2 with 1 K, Cintron was 3-4 with 1 RBI before facing Nathan yesterday and Pierzynski was 1-1 before yesterday and this move was a no-brainer.

tebman
07-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Righties are hitting .145 off of Nathan. Lefties are hitting .232. That's a pretty big difference. Add in that Uribe is a career 0-7 with 3 K against Nathan, Anderson is a career 0-2 with 1 K, Cintron was 3-4 with 1 RBI before facing Nathan yesterday and Pierzynski was 1-1 before yesterday and this move was a no-brainer.
Thanks for the numbers, Jjav. I'm not one to second-guess Ozzie, but it looked to me like a reflexive move to always try to get the R/L matchup in place. Those numbers regarding yesterday's game show that the history bears it out as a good call.

stl_sox_fan
07-26-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm a bit fed up with that too. Especially in Anderson's case. Sorry, but if he's gonna have a REAL major league career than YES he will have to face righty pitchers at some point in his life. The way they shield him from that is only slowing his development.

And last night it was pretty foolish to put in 3 guys fresh off the bench just to get that matchup.

I'm in agreeance here. Sitting BA against lefties because he doesn't them hit well is a managing mistake. Let him learn. I'll take 1 K versus Johan as a sign of progress.

The whole lineup du jour gets to me. I'm curisous if anyone else knows of another team that switches rosters as much as Ozzie does. Sometimes it's okay to
http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/Set_it_and_forget_it_2_small.jpg

soxfan13
07-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Fire Ozzie and bring in Don Zimmer who managed on his gut instinct and never looked at match-ups!!!

PorkChopExpress
07-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Yes, I am sick of it, but I only say that because it has not been working lately. :D: It worked last year, our bench guys were warm all year, and our regulars had regular days off. One thing I want to see, though, is Anderson in CF against righties much more often. Today is Mackowiak and I think this might be a mistake. Prove me wrong Mack.

Chicken Dinner
07-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Cintron was 3 for 4 in 2003 interleague play and AJ got 1 hit in 1 at bat against Nathane last year. Are those really numbers that mean anything?

CommanderPudge72
07-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Yeah, we are wayyyy over doing it...its not even making sense...

1. Left handers have a better average this year over rightees with Santana

2. We put Mack in the line-up in the leagues largest center field.

That dosen't make much sense...either on the match-up, or providing your team with the best possible line-up.

IMO...of course.

Jjav829
07-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Cintron was 3 for 4 in 2003 interleague play and AJ got 1 hit in 1 at bat against Nathane last year. Are those really numbers that mean anything?

Yes, they mean that those players have at least managed to get a hit off Nathan, something Uribe hasn't done in 7 at-bats. And when you factor in that Nathan is much harder on righties than lefties, it's clearly the right move.

QCIASOXFAN
07-26-2006, 01:38 PM
I think I said it yesterday, the only thing Ozzie likes more than staggering the lineup is leaving his starters in to long to show them confidence.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-26-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm sick of the LaRussa book too.

Trust me, it is only a matter of time until everyone on Earth is sick of LaRussa. :cool: