PDA

View Full Version : Think Positive Thread of the Day: A Bullpen of Fireballers

Frater Perdurabo
07-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Amid the storm and stress of the recent slump, one thing that has improved is the late-inning section of the bullpen, as within the last year KW has assembled a trio of reliable hard throwers.

Jenks clearly has solidified himself as a lockdown closer. But now he's got two legitimate set-up men.

Thornton has become the Sox most reliable set-up guy. The lanky lefty's 97 MPH fastball gets lefties and righties out. He's certainly been more reliable than Cotts and far more trustworthy than what we had last year with Marte.

With MacDougal, the Sox now have three late-inning guys who regularly bring fastballs over 95 MPH, but who also mix in other pitches they can throw for strikes.

When the playoffs arrive, Ozzie has the option (whether he chooses to exercise it or not is a different story) to have his starter go six innings, have Thornton pitch the seventh, MacDougal pitch the eighth, and Jenks close out the ninth.

Let's hear it for the re-vamped late-inning corps!

:supernana:

pdimas
07-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Amid the storm and stress of the recent slump, one thing that has improved is the late-inning section of the bullpen, as within the last year KW has assembled a trio of reliable hard throwers.

Jenks clearly has solidified himself as a lockdown closer. But now he's got two legitimate set-up men.

Thornton has become the Sox most reliable set-up guy. The lanky lefty's 97 MPH fastball gets lefties and righties out. He's certainly been more reliable than Cotts and far more trustworthy than what we had last year with Marte.

With MacDougal, the Sox now have three late-inning guys who regularly bring fastballs over 95 MPH, but who also mix in other pitches they can throw for strikes.

When the playoffs arrive, Ozzie has the option (whether he chooses to exercise it or not is a different story) to have his starter go six innings, have Thornton pitch the seventh, MacDougal pitch the eighth, and Jenks close out the ninth.

:supernana:

Yeah that is definitely one positive I took from last night. I am really starting to dig what im seeing from the bullpen.

rdwj
07-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Yeah that is definitely one positive I took from last night. I am really starting to dig what im seeing from the bullpen.

And the starters have been doing better of late. We just can't seem to score any runs! I just can't see that continuing

INSox56
07-26-2006, 09:40 AM
HereHere! :gulp:

credefan24
07-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Nice Thread! I'll drink to that!
:gulp:
LETS GO SOX, take this one from these goofballs from Minnesota.

soxfan13
07-26-2006, 09:53 AM
another bright side to last nites game the Sox did add .04 earned runs onto Santanas ERA :tongue:

miker
07-26-2006, 09:57 AM
another bright side to last nites game the Sox did add .04 earned runs onto Santanas ERA :tongue:
I appreciate the effort, but that really is a stretch for "good news."

soxfan13
07-26-2006, 10:23 AM
I appreciate the effort, but that really is a stretch for "good news."

Goes under the "no matter how bad it is there is always a bright side" LOL

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 10:28 AM
There's a story in one of the newspapers today I think it's David Haugh in the Tribune talking about MacDougle and his history.

I didn't know that a few years ago he was hit in the head by Carlos Beltran's bat and spent a very long time in the hospital.

He seems to have had some bizarre injuries in his career but he can throw hard.

Definately an improvement over the start of the year and the Boone Logan experiment.

Lip

Law11
07-26-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm actually seeing the light at this point.. How much worse could it get.
We have balt /KC next while detroit and Minn face off . Time is now to get well.

Ol' No. 2
07-26-2006, 10:35 AM

:supernana:An interesting angle on this that I thought of watching Thornton and MacDougal last night: Thornton looks like he's throwing 80 mph and brings it at 98. MacDougal looks like he's throwing 120 mph - arms and legs every which way. Following one with the other has to make it hard on the hitters to get a rhythm.

Twin Lover
07-26-2006, 10:36 AM
okay guys, this has been killing me for the past few days....

who do white sox fans cheer for in the playoffs?? twins or tigers???

feel free to elaborate.....thanks :tongue::bandance:

Ol' No. 2
07-26-2006, 10:37 AM

feel free to elaborate.....thanks :tongue::bandance:Same as last year: Twins on the front nine and Tigers on the back nine.

spiffie
07-26-2006, 10:38 AM

Why the **** do I root for a constantly disappointing team playing in a crappy stadium in the most boring "major city" in the world? :tongue::bandance:
Fixed it for ya there sport.

slavko
07-26-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm actually seeing the light at this point.. How much worse could it get.
We have balt /KC next while detroit and Minn face off . Time is now to get well.

That's not the kind of question I need right now. Closer? We may never need one.

flo-B-flo
07-26-2006, 10:39 AM

feel free to elaborate.....thanks :tongue::bandance: **** both of those mother****ers:angry:

Twin Lover
07-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Minnesota Twins....33-8

Chicago White Sox....... 3-11

Mod edit: You gone!

credefan24
07-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Gordon Bombay- 0

TheOldRoman
07-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Same as last year: Twins on the front nine and Tigers on the back nine.
:rolling:

Frater Perdurabo
07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
There's a story in one of the newspapers today I think it's David Haugh in the Tribune talking about MacDougle and his history.

I didn't know that a few years ago he was hit in the head by Carlos Beltran's bat and spent a very long time in the hospital.

He seems to have had some bizarre injuries in his career but he can throw hard.

Definately an improvement over the start of the year and the Boone Logan experiment.

Lip

Lip, are you going to give ANY credit to Thornton? I know you hate him since he's not a crusty veteran and all, but you have to acknowledge that he's among the better bullpen lefties in the AL, right?

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Frater:

And that has exactly what to do with my comment?

I said the bullpen is better now then it was at the start of the year when Logan and friends directly pissed away and lost five games by the end of May.

What more do you want? Blood???

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
07-26-2006, 12:55 PM
What more do you want? Blood???

Just for you specifically to give credit to Thornton, that's all. Blood is optional. :tongue:

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Frater:

For the most part he's performed well but than again Cliffy had an amazing 2005 season to didn't he?

Consistency is the mark of a pro...if he doesn't fall apart (like Cliffy) next year then the Sox got themselves a steal for an overpriced bench player.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
07-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Frater:

For the most part he's performed well but than again Cliffy had an amazing 2005 season to didn't he?

Consistency is the mark of a pro...if he doesn't fall apart (like Cliffy) next year then the Sox got themselves a steal for an overpriced bench player.

Lip

Fair enough.

Still, just the fact that they've gotten three-fifths of a good season (so far) out of a quality, 98 MPH throwing lefty set-up man for Borchard qualifies as a minor miracle.

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Thornton and MacDougal looked great last night. The bullpen is definitely starting to shape up.