PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie being Ozzie -- apologizes to Garland

southside rocks
07-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Phil Arvia's column in the Daily Southtown today is worth a read, IMO.
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x26-ard1.htm

Something that I wonder if the Ozzie-bashers overlook: this is Guillen's third season as a major-league manager. He's learning on the job, and he's learning in the deep end of the pool with a great ballclub. (I've been at my job ten years and I'm very good at it, but I know that after only three years, I wasn't nearly as professional as I am now.) I think that Ozzie will only get better, as a manager, over the years to come, and I hope he spends those years with the White Sox.

SCarolina_Ron
07-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Nice column. It pretty much expresses how I'm feeling about Ozzie and where the Sox are at.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Ozzie seems to be the type of guy where when he does something wrong he knows it, admits it, apologizes and moves on.

It takes a big man to be able to do something like that.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
07-26-2006, 10:32 AM
One of the few level heads in the media. If you listen to the boobs on talk radio you'd think the team is falling apart and Ozzie is a huge distraction. They just have to have something to talk about, even if it's stupid. This is still a good team. Just because they've played .214 ball over the last 14 games does not mean they're a .214 team. But as I've said in several threads, they need to stop waiting for something to happen and start making something happen.

MsSoxVixen22
07-26-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't think Ozzie really needed to apologize but I'm sure Jon Garland appreciated it. I doubt Garland was mad at Ozzie. He might have been all *** at first but I'm sure it passed. Garland doesn't seem to be the type and I'm sure deep down he knows he ****ed up and didn't do what was asked of him. Bravo to Ozzie though! :gulp:

Jenks4Pres
07-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Ozzie is my homeboy. He brought a World Series to this city. Therefore he has a lifetime contract with the beloved White Sox!

flo-B-flo
07-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Ozzie is my homeboy. He brought a World Series to this city. Therefore he has a lifetime contract with the beloved White Sox! This is why he has to be a serial killer for me to give up on him. He is the perfect manager for this team. And I'm not surprised in the least that he apologized to Garland.

southside rocks
07-26-2006, 10:58 AM
This is why he has to be a serial killer for me to give up on him.
And even then, for me it would depend on who he'd killed. Half a dozen newspaper columnists and I wouldn't be too upset.

Seriously, I love that Ozzie gets it all out in the open with his players, his coaches, the management, the fans, everybody. When Scott Williamson, before he was traded, talked about how his manager played favorites and benched guys he didn't like, but never directly addressed any issues, I was glad that Ozzie will never be like that. IMO more players would appreciate having issues out in the open and then dealt with and gone, move on. Any manager who can do that, in business or in baseball, will be more effective than managers who can't. Sure, not everybody thinks it's the best way, but you're never going to win a popularity contest every day of the week when you manage anything.

35th&Shields
07-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Ozzie seems to be the type of guy where when he does something wrong he knows it, admits it, apologizes and moves on.

Lip
I don't know if it takes a "big man", I was always taught that what you do. It is good to see it in professional sports where it's always someone else's fault, though.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 12:41 PM
35th:

Many folks are taught this idea but few actually do it.

Lip

voodoochile
07-26-2006, 01:20 PM

Lip

I agree, Ozzie doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to carry a grudge. If people want to make nice he is willing and anyone who thinks someone that honest and open doesn't know how to admit they are wrong just doesn't understand human nature very well, IMO.

LuvSox
07-26-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't think Ozzie really needed to apologize

Yes he did. Ozzie acted like an *******. I love Oz just as much as the rest of you do, but he was wrong in his approach with Jon.

SluggersAway
07-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Ozzie is my homeboy. He brought a World Series to this city. Therefore he has a lifetime contract with the beloved White Sox!

This is why he may be a problem in the future, anyone with a license to kill is a danger to society. A manager without a leash and a life time job does not have his eye on the prize. Competition is a great incentive when it comes to producing results. Take a look at the american auto industry.

russ99
07-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Wow - I just saw Ozzie's postgame comments on the news - these guys really need a day off and then after that, a few wins in a row.

sox230
07-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Maybe Ozzie should stop focusing on beanballs, Amdy Van Slyke, and being the center of attention, and start to focus on his team and winning games.:angry: