PDA

View Full Version : Best Angel Ever

Viva Medias B's
07-26-2006, 09:15 AM
I know someone started a thread like this on the White Sox, but I thought it would be neat if we had a daily poll on the greatest player of each MLB team based on the Hometown Heroes contest. Which player from each team do WSIers believe is the greatest?

It will be a one day poll with a new team's one day poll conducted the following day. In the event there is a first place tie at the end of the day's voting, a runoff poll will be conducted between the tied players the following day.

Today's team is the Los Angeles/California/Anaheim/Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Angels.

kraut83
07-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Excellent thread idea Viva! THis should help get my mind off of the crap that is currently on the field.

1951Campbell
07-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Carew, hands down.

JimmyJoe
07-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Gabriel. Hands down the best Angel. Ever.

cleanwsox
07-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Why the hell is Jim Abbott on the ballot? 3 good years gets you in? Might as well have Vlad on there then as well.

TornLabrum
07-26-2006, 10:36 AM
What I want to know about the nominee selection process is this: Where the hell is Jim Fregosi? I'll have more to say as other polls are posted here.

Of those selected, I have to go with RRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD CaREEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW if only for the way Harry Caray said his name.

CRAW
07-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Forgive my ignorance, for I don't know much about the Angels or this hometown heros deal, but didn't Reggie Jackson and Nolan Ryan play for them??? Is there some stipulations that have to be met before making the ballot?

fquaye149
07-26-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm pretty sure the player who is your "hometown hero" would need to be associated primarily with your team...

So, Reggie Jackson would be an Angel THIRD behind a Yankee first and an A second

and Ryan is probably best known for being an Astro or a Ranger

CRAW
07-26-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm pretty sure the player who is your "hometown hero" would need to be associated primarily with your team...

So, Reggie Jackson would be an Angel THIRD behind a Yankee first and an A second

Ahh, I see. That makes sense, and in that case I'm going with Carew. Hands down.

SoxFanPrope
07-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Well this is certainly one sided. Which city is up next?

samram
07-26-2006, 11:38 AM
I went with Salmon. He's the all-time leader in HRs and was the leader in RBI until Garrett Anderson recently passed him. Carew's best days were with the Twins. It doesn't matter since Vlad will be the best Angel ever when he's done there.

soxfan26
07-26-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm saving my Carew vote for the greatest Twin ever.

As for the Angels...

1. Garrett Anderson
2. Tim Salmon
3. Brian Downing

TornLabrum
07-26-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm saving my Carew vote for the greatest Twin ever.

As for the Angels...

1. Garrett Anderson
2. Tim Salmon
3. Brian Downing

Since they included previous cities in which franchises were located (for example, Lefty Grove is on the Oakland ballot), I can't vote for Carew with Washington/Minnesota. For one thing, they left Walter Freakin' Johnson off the ballot. For another, Harmon Killebrew was a better player than Carew.

Law11
07-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Why the hell is Jim Abbott on the ballot? 3 good years gets you in? Might as well have Vlad on there then as well.

The list is not just for great play but great character as well.
Hence no corky on the cub list

areilly
07-26-2006, 12:38 PM
The list is not just for great play but great character as well.
Hence no corky on the cub list

Hence my vote for Abbott. I always thought a guy with one hand becoming a major-league pitcher was one of the toughest things I'd ever heard of someone doing.

batmanZoSo
07-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Pretty slim pickings. Carew by a long shot.

cbrownson13
07-26-2006, 01:08 PM
MLB umpire, Angel Hernandez

Nixey 02
07-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Had to write-in: Garret Anderson (edging out Salmon)

slobes
07-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Carew, no doubter.

ChiSox80
07-26-2006, 02:29 PM
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1728/0266bigsr9.jpg

"Who the hell is Rod Carew? I don't remember him throwing any no-hitters."

SouthSide_HitMen
07-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Nolan Ryan - no contest:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/ryanno01.shtml

Doug DeCinces is my second choice:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/decindo01.shtml

PennStater98r
07-26-2006, 03:25 PM
I voted for Carew, but where are the following players:

Nolan Ryan
Garret Anderson
Vlad Guererro
Chuck Finley

PKalltheway
07-26-2006, 03:38 PM
I voted Tim Salmon, because I think of Rod Carew with the Twins and not the Angels. Plus when I think of a "hometown hero," or a "greatest franchise player," I think of someone who spent their whole career with the team, or the bulk of their career with the team. Plus Salmon won the World Series with the Angels too. One question though. Where's Nolan Ryan? I understand people thinking of him being with the Astros or Rangers, but c'mon, he had four of his seven no-hitters with the Angels, all four of his 19 strikeout games with the Angels, and his only 20 win seasons with the Angels, and they were a terrible team when he had his 20 win seasons! I saw the official ballot and they had Chuck Finley on there instead of Ryan. What a joke.

fquaye149
07-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Nolan Ryan - no contest:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/ryanno01.shtml

Doug DeCinces is my second choice:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/decindo01.shtml

LOL! or as they called him in RBI Baseball: DCincs

SouthSide_HitMen
07-26-2006, 06:32 PM
LOL! or as they called him in RBI Baseball: DCincs

I love 3B (played for awhile until shifting to the OF) and he was always one of my favorites (in Baltimore and California).

Joe Crede is my favorite White Sox player (has been since he was brought up) and Vance Law was at one time my favorire White Sox player.

Nolan Ryan is hands down the best. Carew wound down his career there and was not as impressive as when he played for the Twins. DeCinces actually improved his power numbers in California - he was very good defensively until his last few seasons.

Doug was pretty good on Nintendo as well. :D:

SpartanSoxFan
07-26-2006, 06:44 PM
I have to believe that when all is said and done, Vlad Guererro will be the greatest Angel ever.

Mohoney
07-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Since they included previous cities in which franchises were located (for example, Lefty Grove is on the Oakland ballot), I can't vote for Carew with Washington/Minnesota. For one thing, they left Walter Freakin' Johnson off the ballot. For another, Harmon Killebrew was a better player than Carew.

Yup. I went with Killebrew for my Twin and Carew for my Angel.

Brian26
07-26-2006, 09:04 PM

I actually got a ballot at the park today and was looking through it. I'm pretty sure that no player is nominated for two teams.

Some interesting ones I remember:

Wade Boggs is nominated for the D-Rays, but not the Red Sox.

Gary Carter is nominated for the Nationals (former Expos).

Aubrey Huff (just traded to Houston) is nominated for the DRays.

Jim Abbott for the Angels was really surprising.

soxfan26
07-26-2006, 10:09 PM

I had a Twinkie fan at work set me straight on Killebrew shortly after I posted - then he rubbed it in all afternoon that Silva 'outdueled' Buehrle. :mad:

Jacob Nelson Fox
07-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Albie Pearson. 5 foot, 5 inches tall and 145 pounds who played nearly a decade in the Bigs.

Bo Belinsky. Managed to throw a no-hitter before partying himself out of the league with the hottest starlets in tinseltown. Career stats aren't much, but think about the stories he could tell :smile: (if he were still alive :(: )

Railsplitter
07-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Nolan Ryan first blossomed as a pitcher with the Angels. With Carew, the Twins pop into my mind as his team.

VenturaSoxFan23
07-27-2006, 12:51 PM

And Reggie tried to "kill...the queen". That's why he isn't on the ballot. :D:

I'd go with Doug DeCinces myself. For some reason, he was the first name that popped into my head even before I read the ballot.

Railsplitter
07-27-2006, 01:03 PM
And Reggie tried to "kill...the queen". That's why he isn't on the ballot. :D:
Don't be too hard on him. Remember, he was under hypnosis:wink: