PDA

View Full Version : Ticket buying question

soxtalker
07-26-2006, 01:04 AM
I've been to several games this year, though tonight was the first time in about a month. Earlier this year, I noticed that people were selling tickets (i.e., scalping) fairly openly in front of the gates. Some were individuals, but there were also those who had large numbers of tickets. Tonight it was different. Security was out in force, discouraging such transactions.

Just curious. Was this a change for this series (the earlier series were not sold out), or did something during the past month trigger the increased efforts to discourage scalping?

TornLabrum
07-26-2006, 01:14 AM
I've been to several games this year, though tonight was the first time in about a month. Earlier this year, I noticed that people were selling tickets (i.e., scalping) fairly openly in front of the gates. Some were individuals, but there were also those who had large numbers of tickets. Tonight it was different. Security was out in force, discouraging such transactions.

Just curious. Was this a change for this series (the earlier series were not sold out), or did something during the past month trigger the increased efforts to discourage scalping?

I saw something last night that I've never seen, and since I was directly behind the people, I didn't see the outcome.

There were a couple of people that had what appeared to be season tickets but the bar code reader didn't read the code. I don't know what happened because they were just standing beside the turnstyle waiting for a supervisor when I went through. Maybe there's a problem with counterfeit tickets being sold.

Scottiehaswheels
07-26-2006, 01:19 AM
I saw something last night that I've never seen, and since I was directly behind the people, I didn't see the outcome.

There were a couple of people that had what appeared to be season tickets but the bar code reader didn't read the code. I don't know what happened because they were just standing beside the turnstyle waiting for a supervisor when I went through. Maybe there's a problem with counterfeit tickets being sold.Another thing is maybe someone sold/forwarded those tix on the ticket exchange and the hard print ones weren't valid anymore?

DumpJerry
07-26-2006, 01:20 AM

There were a couple of people that had what appeared to be season tickets but the bar code reader didn't read the code. I don't know what happened because they were just standing beside the turnstyle waiting for a supervisor when I went through. Maybe there's a problem with counterfeit tickets being sold.
some of the scalpers sell used/stolen/lost tickets.

soxtalker
07-26-2006, 01:22 AM

That would make sense. Although it is a risk at any time (for the buyer), threre's probably a greater chance during a sold-out game.

TornLabrum
07-26-2006, 01:23 AM
All very likely possibilities, and if a lot of this has been going on lately (like more than what I saw last night), that could be why there's a crackdown.

peeonwrigley
07-26-2006, 01:39 AM
I think it is random when they do and do not crack down on scalping. Of course if they are going to do it, more likely it will happen at a sold out game. More $$$ made on fines.

It reminds me of bar raids in Champaign... done just infrequently enough to encourage under 21 students to drink in the bars. And when they did raid the bars, it was a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.

RealMenWearBlack
07-26-2006, 02:12 AM
I think it is random when they do and do not crack down on scalping. Of course if they are going to do it, more likely it will happen at a sold out game. More $$$ made on fines.

Wouldn't it make more sense to crack down when the game wasn't sold out in order to encourage people buying tickets at the gate to buy them from the ticket window?

ewokpelts
07-26-2006, 02:28 AM
there have been 30 sell outs this year...they've been cracking down all year

QCIASOXFAN
07-26-2006, 02:33 AM
It reminds me of bar raids in Champaign... done just infrequently enough to encourage under 21 students to drink in the bars. And when they did raid the bars, it was a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. I was a victim of bar raids.......twice.:(: Don't ask long story's.

doogiec
07-26-2006, 07:35 AM
I had to leave a game early a few weeks ago due to a family emergency (third inning)-

A couple of guys walked up to me outside the park, and asked me for my ticket stubs. After I declined, they offered me two bucks a piece for them, which I also declined.

Clearly some sort of counterfeiting or resale of already scanned tickets is taking place.

Buyer beware.

SoxFan78
07-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Its has to be really easy to go and sell used tickets. All somebody has to do is go into the park, have their buddy on the other side, pass it through the gates, and there you go.

Thats why I will never buy from a scalper these days. Way to easy to get ripped off.

soxtalker
07-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Wouldn't it make more sense to crack down when the game wasn't sold out in order to encourage people buying tickets at the gate to buy them from the ticket window?

An interesting question.

Earlier in the season (at games that were not sold out), I saw people with large numbers of tickets selling them near the ticket windows (e.g., once even working the lines). I guessed (don't know) those might be from (official or unofficial) ticket brokers who had season tickets and were trying to get something for the tickets to less popular games. Like you, my initial thought was that the Sox would clamp down, as they would take away from walk-up sales. But then it occurred to me that it might encourage more season ticket sales to look the other way.

I don't recall seeing anyone wandering around the ticket area with a fist full of tickets last night. If it was brokers who were dumping unused tickets at those earlier games, they probably would have no such need to do so at a game like last night.

ewokpelts
07-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Its has to be really easy to go and sell used tickets. All somebody has to do is go into the park, have their buddy on the other side, pass it through the gates, and there you go.

Thats why I will never buy from a scalper these days. Way to easy to get ripped off. try that with season tickets.......and you'll lose your tickets....

if you HAVE to buy from a scalper SOB, make sure it's a season ticket or a tm ticket that has an account number on it.....the print type is smaller, and it has a 6 digit number on the left side.....that way, if you're scammed, you can get the guilty parties screwed.....
if enough scalpers lose thier ticket plans, you'll see an end to this practice

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2006, 01:19 PM

I once had a my legitamate tickets read as "Stop" by the bar code scanner. I protested that I had just bought them at the box office that day, and after having to talk to about 4 different people I was actually led to the White Sox offices where I had to talk to an FBI agent to authenticate them. I was less than thrilled, but I got a mini-tour of the park. The also let me take the press elevator up to the stadium and I actually got to share an elevator with Rex Hudler former player and current Angels broadcaster, which was pretty cool.

Tekijawa
07-26-2006, 01:34 PM

I saw something similar on Sunday, it was a guy and a lady that had been stopped because their tickets wouldn't let them in, she was crying and the Security was calling over their radios for a supervisor. I wouldn't be supprised if something like that was going on.

SoxFan78
07-26-2006, 02:01 PM
try that with season tickets.......and you'll lose your tickets....

if you HAVE to buy from a scalper SOB, make sure it's a season ticket or a tm ticket that has an account number on it.....the print type is smaller, and it has a 6 digit number on the left side.....that way, if you're scammed, you can get the guilty parties screwed.....
if enough scalpers lose thier ticket plans, you'll see an end to this practice

Good point, I never thought of that. Most of the scalpers outside the ballpark are selling season tickets.

sbsox
07-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Before the Sunday Red Sox game we were stuck in traffic on Wentworth and we were watching a scalper asking people if they had any extra tickets. A guy (wearing a nice Fisk jersey) and his girlfirend approach the scalper, flash a badge, and quickly have him up against the fence. The scalper turns over his handfull of tickets to the cop, the cop takes two and hands the remaining ones back to the scalper. Scalper Justice??

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 09:47 PM
I saw a scalper get arrested July 4th on the east side of the bridge of 35th street, just across from the park (In front of Lot C). It was a man and a woman dressed in identical throw back jerseys. Yes, the scalper got cuffed and taken away.

nasox
07-26-2006, 10:21 PM
I had an extra ticket monday night I sold to some guy by the green line 35th street stop. He gave me face value.

WS in 05
07-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Went out of town one weekend and gave my ticket to a friend who was going with two other people who had different tickets.

Well I had forgotten that I had also posted my ticket on the exchange and they sold prior to game time...

little did he know that when he went to the gate and the lady tried to scan his ticket and it said invalid because it was no longer valid

Needless to say he was very pissed and had to buy another ticket

SouthSoxFan
07-26-2006, 10:24 PM
If people are really out there selling once used tickets, it would be easy enough to stop that. The gate agents could just punch or tear 'em when we go in. Although it occurs to me that the MLB teams might prefer it if buying on the street gained an even riskier reputation.