PDA

View Full Version : Singleton on Singleton

TornLabrum
07-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Bump34 emailed this article to me today. It includes Chris Singleton's self-analysis of his PBP this year. You have to give the guy credit for knowing his shortcomings. Here's a link:

http://www.callofthegame.com/news/index.php?itemid=1775

kevingrt
07-25-2006, 11:58 PM
That is pretty good of himself. Maybe that means improvement is in the future. I have actually come to somewhat enjoy him and Farmio in the booth together. They have developed some sort of chemistry and rye humor. They aren't bad and I can listen to them in the car or at work. They will be much better next season too I believe especially with more practice in Arizona.

Lip Man 1
07-25-2006, 11:59 PM
I give Chris props for honesty but the fact remains...why was someone that limited in professional experience hired in the third biggest market in the nation to work with a professional sports team?

Lip

The Dude
07-26-2006, 12:00 AM
I give Chris props for honesty but the fact remains...why was someone that limited in professional experience hired in the third biggest market in the nation to work with a professional sports team?

Lip

Especially after our previous team was voted best in the AL if I remember correctly.

tstrike2000
07-26-2006, 12:03 AM
I've heard Chris in interviews and he is as class of a guy as I've heard. Strong character, family values, and faith.

TornLabrum
07-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Especially after our previous team was voted best in the AL if I remember correctly.

And IIRC the second best radio broadcasting team in BASEBALL after Vin Scully. (BTW, that reminds me of the time JFK had a bunch of Nobel laureates, etc. at a White House gathering and he said something like, "This is the greatest gethering of brain power ever assembled...except when Jefferson sat alone.")

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Which means absolutely nothing regarding how he does his job does it?

Lip

NonetheLoaiza
07-26-2006, 07:22 AM
The strides he has made since Spring Training are clearly evident. He has gotten 1000 times better, and I don't mind listening to both of them. His analysis, IMO, is great, but his shortcoming was in his delivery and overall awkwardness. He is getting over that, and I think he sounds pretty good.

southside rocks
07-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Which means absolutely nothing regarding how he does his job does it?

Lip
I don't think everyone would agree. I would rather listen to Singleton, who is at times inept (he's a raw rookie, I tell myself), than some of the ultra-smooth talking heads that ESPN stocks. I like Singleton because of what I know about him and the way he conducts himself. He has class.

So is a radio broadcaster all about technical performance, or about personality as well? I think the latter. Maybe not true of TV broadcasters so much, but radio guys have a bigger job to do without the picture, and who they are does enter into the equation.

That's why I loathed Harry Caray from day one. Bloviating bag of bombastic bluster that he was. :tongue:

miker
07-26-2006, 09:46 AM

Lip
$

Iwritecode
07-26-2006, 10:27 AM

Lip

Because McDowell and Ventura weren't available?

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Southside:

My comment was based on TSStrike's comment about Chris having family values and is a nice guy.

Those are admirable but have nothing to do with his ability to perform his job does it?

Lip

russ99
07-26-2006, 10:33 AM
That's why I loathed Harry Caray from day one. Bloviating bag of bombastic bluster that he was. :tongue:

:o:

Even though the Cubs hijacked Caray's legend, (I know, the current ownership ran him out) I loved him as a Sox broadcaster when I was a kid. He totally related to the real fan, and wouldn't pretty things up just to market the team.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Iwrite:

Well Steve Lyons and Tommy John were and they both are extremely more polished then Chris. They also both knew baseball.

Ron Kittle was very interested and interviewed for the job. Ron isn't the smoothest guy on the air but he certainly is as good as Chris.

I can't explain it.

Lip

MsSoxVixen22
07-26-2006, 10:36 AM
I've heard Chris in interviews and his as class of a guy as I've heard. Strong character, family values, and faith.

Exactly! That's why I wish people would lay off him and let him find himself

JohnBasedowYoda
07-26-2006, 10:38 AM

Lip

Kittle was busy making benches out of bats

southside rocks
07-26-2006, 10:40 AM
:o:

Even though the Cubs hijacked Caray's legend, (I know, the current ownership ran him out) I loved him as a Sox broadcaster when I was a kid. He totally related to the real fan, and wouldn't pretty things up just to market the team.
Sorry! LOL! It was Harry's personality that grated on me. His acumen as a broadcaster of baseball games, I would never question.

And speaking of Sox broadcasters we have known and loved (or not) -- anybody know why Piersall's show on WMVP was canceled? I say a brief note in one of the papers that said it had been canceled "abruptly." Knowing Piersall, I'm thinking there's a story behind that.

russ99
07-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Iwrite:

Well Steve Lyons and Tommy John were and they both are extremely more polished then Chris. They also both knew baseball.

Ron Kittle was very interested and interviewed for the job. Ron isn't the smoothest guy on the air but he certainly is as good as Chris.

I can't explain it.

Lip

I think Chris has the potential to be a good broadcaster. We need to give him a break - we can't expect Rooney-quality.

I think the hiring had a lot to do with that he's a younger guy, he's recently played for the Sox and has connections with the Sox front office.

Didn't Steve Lyons upset Sox management a few years ago? Plus, he's overpolished and too hokey and ESPNy. (a word?)

With Singleton, we have a younger, less experienced guy with room to grow into an outstanding broadcaster in a few years.

Jenks4Pres
07-26-2006, 10:42 AM
There is nothing wrong with how Singleton calls the game... It's the radio announcers for god's sake!

russ99
07-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Sorry! LOL! It was Harry's personality that grated on me. His acumen as a broadcaster of baseball games, I would never question.

And speaking of Sox broadcasters we have known and loved (or not) -- anybody know why Piersall's show on WMVP was canceled? I say a brief note in one of the papers that said it had been canceled "abruptly." Knowing Piersall, I'm thinking there's a story behind that.

Interesting... I hope Jimmy get's a new show soon - he's one of a kind.

I can see your point about Harry - but to me listening to him was like hanging out with my drunk steelworker Uncle in the CF bleachers at Old Comskey! :D:

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Jenks:

But it's the fans who have to listen and I can tell you that if a person is shaky, stumbling, mumbling on the air... that makes it very difficult to spend three hours with.

When 'Sickening' Sid Garcia was working at WGN-TV it was brutal just having to listen to his sports for five minutes.

Lip

Iwritecode
07-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Iwrite:

I can't explain it.

Lip

I was just making light of the fact that the Sox most recent hirings have all been guys that played for the Sox sometime in the mid 90's. Baines, Raines, Cora, Ozzie and Singleton.

Ventura and McDowell fit the mold. :D:

Iwritecode
07-26-2006, 11:05 AM
There is nothing wrong with how Singleton calls the game... It's the radio announcers for god's sake!

I think the fact that he is the radio announcer makes it even more important on how he calls the game. Considering we can't see the action, a good announcer should be able to paint a picture in your mind of what's happening on the field.

Singleton isn't quite there yet.

Kittle'sNeighbor
07-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Chris obviously will only get better. Plus there is enough 'color' coming from Farmer for the both of them. I like Farmer more with Singleton because he is needed now where Rooney could have flown solo.

Someone said Sculley was better than R & F were. I used to drive from Evansville Indiana to Chicago alot a few years back. I would time my trip to be on the northside of Terre Haute at game time so I could hear Rooney and Farmer call the game. Made an otherwise horrible drive as enjoyable as possible. I'd say they are my favorite baseball broadcasters of all time.

I used to listen to Ernie Harwell & the Tigers on the radio out of Michigan, he would be next on my list. I catch Sculley out here in AZ / Cali alot, he comes in 3rd.

I'm 40 and kinda grew up in the era where TV overtook radio but baseball over the airwaves is still a perfect match. I refused to buy the Direct TV MLB pkg this year just to force myself to listen online with MLB Gameday. I'm glad I didThe only thing that compares was when Butkus called games on WGN[?] for the Bears. We would mute the TV and listen to #51.

After listening to Singleton, I'll say he's getting better and from the sounds of it knows he needs to improve and thats the first step in doing so.

PaulDrake
07-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Chris Singleton is the second worst baseball announcer I've ever heard. The worst is Ron Santo, but at least in a strange kind of way old Ron provides comic relief.

Scottzilla
07-26-2006, 03:35 PM
well i think the fact that they teased us with ventura and macdowel just makes it that much harder for chris to be embraced
I was actually ANGRY when I heard singleton got the job, just because he wasn't Robin.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Ventura and McDowell both told the Sox they were not interested in a full time position because they are spending time with their families. They don't want to be away from home for that lenght of time anymore.

Lip

SouthSide_HitMen
07-26-2006, 05:22 PM
They (Farmer and Singleton) do not bother me as much as they did in March and April. That said the broadcast should be better and maybe with time it will reach adequate status.

I like Singleton as a person and I do agree he has improved. The Sox should have hired someone experienced but they didn't and with the length of Singleton's contract and Wills' extension in Tampa things are not going to change anytime soon.

The best we can hope for is Chris and Farmer to continue to improve together (and hopefully the club will as well - I am much more upset with the content rather than the quality of the broadcasts this month).

I need a day off from White Sox baseball. :(:

miker
07-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Exactly! That's why I wish people would lay off him and let him find himself
Is he lost?

Jenks4Pres
07-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Lip,

I agree with you to a certain extent. The bad radio announcer can ruin the listening experience. However I think Singleton is well spoken and we still have Farmer, who btw is one of the best in the biz

kevingrt
07-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Chris Singleton is the second worst baseball announcer I've ever heard. The worst is Ron Santo, but at least in a strange kind of way old Ron provides comic relief.

Serious question, how many radio announcers have you listened to for an extended period of time? And when was the last time you listened to Farmer and Singleton?