PDA

View Full Version : A great quote from Reifert's blog

oeo
07-25-2006, 10:53 PM
I just thought I'd share this (in case some of you may have not read it), because a lot of you around here are really pissing your pants.

And again, take this or leave it (since it is just my opinion but it also is my blog so I am allowed to pontificate at times), but the easiest thing in the world is to be part of something, to be a fan, to be a player, to be an employee, to be a boss, to be (fill in the blank) when things are going well. Where are you when things get tough?

And the second-easiest thing in the world is to be the critic who constantly forecasts doom and gloom. You know why? Because eventually, that one time, that one day, that one year ... you will be right. Because that is life. Eventually, we all fail. And we probably fail more than we succeed, certainly that's true in baseball. So the safest play is to always expect the worst. You will be right more than you are wrong. If that's your raison d'etre, then be negative.

But regardless of where I work or what I do, I don't ever want to be that critic or necessarily surround myself with people who think that way, who have that world view. I don't want to live and think with that type of negativity. I would rather take the risk of being the optimist, understanding that I might be wrong much more than I am right in the end, but knowing that when I am right, even if it is just once, it will be glorious. And along the way, I can look at myself in the mirror with integrity.

And I think, to sound like Don Cooper a little bit here, those critics live for those moments when they can claim they were "right."

I think Reifert was right on the money. And even after another loss tonight (UGH!)...stick with it. You don't have to think everything will implode. If you're going to be around celebrating in October, take in the season for what is right now...don't just say this team will not make the playoffs so later you can say, "I told you so."

And please...stop pissing your pants.

BTW, those who do not know Scott Reifert's blog: http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/

Corlose 15
07-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Can you please stop the holier than thou attitude that has you believing that just because someone says the Sox are playing like crap means they're going to abandon the Sox?

I've been a Sox fan my whole life and this season won't change that but this team is absolute garbage right now and with how talented they are its completely unacceptable.

Lip Man 1
07-25-2006, 11:15 PM
I think the reality of things is starting to set in with OEO and it's disturbing to him. Can't say that I blame him.

Lip

paciorek1983
07-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Can you please stop the holier than thou attitude that has you believing that just because someone says the Sox are playing like crap means they're going to abandon the Sox?

I've been a Sox fan my whole life and this season won't change that but this team is absolute garbage right now and with how talented they are its completely unacceptable.

You're right. They are playing like crap, and it is unacceptable. I tho, am tired of watching it for now, what a waste of time it has been the last few weeks, putting an effor in to watching this junk.

I think I need to take a break from this team for about a week or so, I can't stand watching garbage anymore.

Sooner or later, they'll come out of it. I just hope that they can do it by more than just waiting to hit home runs.

rookie
07-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Thanks for sharing the newest blog. It was a good read. I usually check it out, but have forgotten to recently. I actually dislike being an optimist and have been trying to convert to the other side for several years now to no avail. Thanks Reifert for letting me know that I'm not completely crazy (or that if I am, then maybe it's a good kind of crazy).

bryPt
07-25-2006, 11:57 PM

damn straight. Have a :gulp: on me.

oeo
07-25-2006, 11:59 PM
I think the reality of things is starting to set in with OEO and it's disturbing to him. Can't say that I blame him.

Lip

The reality of what? That they're playing like ****? I know they're playing like ****, but I also know that they're better than this and will get themselves out of this. I'm not really sure what you mean by that comment.

And why the hell can't I post this? Everyone around here posts bull**** about how this sucks and that sucks, with nothing to back it up with the exception of a few weeks. The rest of you can piss your pants together, I'm done. I'll enjoy the rest of the season without this website; I hope you all enjoy the Sox proving you wrong on their way to another playoff run. Good day.

sox1970
07-26-2006, 12:03 AM
I'll enjoy the rest of the season without this website; I hope you all enjoy the Sox proving you wrong on their way to another playoff run. Good day.

He'll be back tomorrow.

DeadMoney
07-26-2006, 12:07 AM
The reality of what? That they're playing like ****? I know they're playing like ****, but I also know that they're better than this and will get themselves out of this. I'm not really sure what you mean by that comment.

And why the hell can't I post this? Everyone around here posts bull**** about how this sucks and that sucks, with nothing to back it up with the exception of a few weeks. The rest of you can piss your pants together, I'm done.

I'll agree with you...I posted this in the post-game thread, but think it belongs here also...

And for the dark clouds and naysayers, I have a simple message to you all:

As fans, coming off watching a World Series Championship, we owe it to stand behind our guys until they are down and out for good. It's ONLY July 25th folks, they won't be that for a VERY long time (and we all hope not in '06). Stand tall and bring this team back. I know it's frustrating, but we owe it to them to try. They gave us '05.

TheOldRoman
07-26-2006, 12:15 AM

And why the hell can't I post this? Everyone around here posts bull**** about how this sucks and that sucks, with nothing to back it up with the exception of a few weeks. The rest of you can piss your pants together, I'm done. I'll enjoy the rest of the season without this website; I hope you all enjoy the Sox proving you wrong on their way to another playoff run. Good day.
Lip is just pissed because Reifert was talking about him.:D:

CLR01
07-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Lip is just pissed because Reifert was talking about him.:D:

That's the first thing that came to my mind. I was looking all over for his name. :smile:

Rikirk
07-26-2006, 12:25 AM
I will say this...

The Sox may...or may not be playing up to their potential right now. But they are doing one troubling thing. Creating "L's" instead of "W's" Hopefully they will break out of this slump soon and get their collective act together. But whatever come what may, The sox are my team...I will not give up on them. If they are not destined to win it again, or make the playoffs this year, then so be it. But they will always be my favored team, and i stand behind them.

Dibbs
07-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Some people are in a fantasy world. We have serious problems this year.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 12:47 AM
Roman:

Naw, I communicate with Scott on a regular basis. He treated me very well when I was in Chicago in May. If Scott thinks I'm wrong about something he'll tell me directly he won't post it on his 'blog.'

OEO, no one is saying what you can or can't post that's for the mods to decide, I don't have that authority. I'm just struck by how strident you are when saying that everything is going to be great every time.

It may or may not, but you refuse to even recognize that there are issues and take exception with anyone who does.

I recognize that this team has talent and has done well in some things but also recognize their shortcomings. You seem to turn a blind eye towards them. And before you say 'that's a lie,' just yesterday I posted Williams' quote to give some perspective on things.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
07-26-2006, 01:02 AM

LipYou must have been really miserable last year.

It's Time
07-26-2006, 01:06 AM
If that entire post was not a Cubs fans life story, I don't know what is. So basically, he is saying that being an eternal optomist is better then being a realist?

This is the exact thing we chew out Cubs fans for and now we are supposed to be like that?

Interesting.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 01:08 AM
My, my, a little touchy tonight aren't we?

:D:

Sure No. 2... the first title that I ever experienced and I'm 'miserable...' That's a good one. Tell me another one please! LOL

:smile:

Lip

Ol' No. 2
07-26-2006, 01:48 AM
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919), "Man in the Arena" Speech given April 23, 1910

Scottiehaswheels
07-26-2006, 01:55 AM
If that entire post was not a Cubs fans life story, I don't know what is. So basically, he is saying that being an eternal optomist is better then being a realist?

This is the exact thing we chew out Cubs fans for and now we are supposed to be like that?

Interesting.

Optomistic sure! The talent on this team alone should be a huge proponent for optimism... In regards to the Cubs, have they ever had the accumulation of talent that this team has? I highly doubt that... We make fun of Cubs fans optimism with the crap teams they put on the field

Sox-o-matic
07-26-2006, 03:01 AM
So essentially Reifert is saying that there are many people who think the Sox won't make the playoffs or what? The way he writes it makes it seem like people are hanging over the rail ready to jump overboard, but I don't see that at all.

I see pessimism because the team has been playing like crap, and when the don't play like crap, like today for instance, things don't go their way. The bad call at first base goes to the Twins, and a two run homer becomes a three run homer, and the homer itself was a cheapie, a fly ball that the wind carried barely over the wall. There was also a disputable call at third which cost the Sox a chance at an RBI situaiton with a runner on third and only one out. A great catch by Cuddyer saves a run. All together, we still only lose the game by one freaking run, when if things had been going right we could have won by one.

I think Reifert is taking this a little too far. People can be optimistic about some things and pessimistic about others, and lots of us are pessimistic right now regarding their chances of getting out of a tight situation, getting that clutch hit, laying down a bunt, etc. It's understandable, perfectly natural, and totally different from thinking that the team is doomed and the season is over.

Also, you can't compare being a sports fan with an occupation or anything else in life over which you exert some control. There is nothing any of us can do except hope for the best.

HerzogVon
07-26-2006, 03:59 AM
I'll agree with you...I posted this in the post-game thread, but think it belongs here also...

As fans, coming off watching a World Series Championship, we owe it to stand behind our guys until they are down and out for good. It's ONLY July 25th folks, they won't be that for a VERY long time (and we all hope not in '06). Stand tall and bring this team back. I know it's frustrating, but we owe it to them to try. They gave us '05.

Yes, they gave us 2005, for which we should all be eternally grateful. So, what in the name of Rudolf Hess makes you think that 2006 will be a rerun? Because we're better than all the other teams and have somehow earned it? Please, wake up! How long do you have to follow the vagaries of baseball before you realize that things just don't work that way?

A thought: Everyone on this board has had the rare privilege of seeing the Chicago White Sox win a World Series. ( What the Old man would have given for such an opportunity! Sadly, neither he nor my mother lived to see it. ) Enjoy, and appreciate it for what it is; a possible once-in-a-lifetime experience.

As regards this season; it was over the day KW traded away Rowand and acquired Thome. No knock on big Jim. He's simply the wrong player for the wrong team at the wrong time. ( When you're managing The Three Stooges, you don't trade Curly for Shemp, even if Shemp can slap harder! ) Sometimes you just shouldn't mess with chemistry, either.

fquaye149
07-26-2006, 08:32 AM
I don't know what's worse: the people saying "Don't worry, we're going to be all right" or the people sticking their tongues out saying "I told you so! Remember 1960? Remember 1984? Remember 2001?"

The only people who are actually turning out to be right are the propellerheads who said our pitchers would revert to their pre-2005 numbers. Think about that.

Is everything going to be all right? I don't know. Only Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia and Javier Vazquez know that. Honestly, I doubt even they know it. If they don't snap out of their schnide we're in deep ****. Congratulations to all the geniuses who can see that we're playing badly. Do you want a medal? You were right all along...quit acting so smug about it--the rest of us were actually hoping the Sox would be good this year and continue to hope they will be good (oh wait, that's right...so are you...you're just being oh so sensible about things. Thank goodness for you).

And to the others so sure that things are going to work out because of our talent--well, nothing's for free. We haven't earned the right to pitch like **** and pass directly to the World Series trophy celebration. We're not going to make the playoffs if our starting pitchers don't pull their heads out of their ass. And that's a fact.

fquaye149
07-26-2006, 08:35 AM
As regards this season; it was over the day KW traded away Rowand and acquired Thome. No knock on big Jim. He's simply the wrong player for the wrong team at the wrong time. ( When you're managing The Three Stooges, you don't trade Curly for Shemp, even if Shemp can slap harder! ) Sometimes you just shouldn't mess with chemistry, either.
And by the way--this is the silliest thing I ever read. Unless of course I'm grossly mistaken and Aaron Rowand's absence is the reason for the pitching staff's ****ty performance. The only chemistry you could argue is lacking is due to El Duque's absence...and it seems like Contreras is pitching just fine.

Chemistry is not the answer. Chemistry would be nice (although I'd argue that the chemistry on this team is just fine) but pitching is the problem with this team. Period. If you can't see that, then I'm just confused as to what sport you're watching.

0o0o0
07-26-2006, 08:56 AM

Uhhh...no one said they were gonna stop going to games or anything. :?:

And I don't know what you mean by "bring this team back" and "we owe it to them to try." Try what? Are we not clapping loud enough? The only guys that can turn this around are the guys on the team.

southside rocks
07-26-2006, 09:04 AM
I don't know what's worse: the people saying "Don't worry, we're going to be all right" or the people sticking their tongues out saying "I told you so! Remember 1960? Remember 1984? Remember 2001?"

The only people who are actually turning out to be right are the propellerheads who said our pitchers would revert to their pre-2005 numbers. Think about that.

Is everything going to be all right? I don't know. Only Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia and Javier Vazquez know that. Honestly, I doubt even they know it. If they don't snap out of their schnide we're in deep ****. Congratulations to all the geniuses who can see that we're playing badly. Do you want a medal? You were right all along...quit acting so smug about it--the rest of us were actually hoping the Sox would be good this year and continue to hope they will be good (oh wait, that's right...so are you...you're just being oh so sensible about things. Thank goodness for you).

And to the others so sure that things are going to work out because of our talent--well, nothing's for free. We haven't earned the right to pitch like **** and pass directly to the World Series trophy celebration. We're not going to make the playoffs if our starting pitchers don't pull their heads out of their ass. And that's a fact.
Good post. I'll drink to this. Coffee, since it's 8 a.m.

I'm an optimist, but my optimism isn't of the "all will be well and they will get a ring again this year"; rather, it's of the "I know they can play MUCH better than this and I am confident that they will do so, starting any minute!" variety.

I don't know if they'll make the post-season. I don't really care; that won't define whether or not I as a fan enjoy the 2006 baseball season. The way they play baseball will, and right now they're not playing so that we fans are enjoying the season.

There is no such thing as a guaranteed repeat in baseball, but OTOH there is such a thing as a miracle, and until they're mathmatically eliminated, I'm gonna hope for one.

Dolanski
07-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Why is it whenever someone around here tries to be positive everyone jumps down his/her throat? It's total crap. This message board is SO NEGATIVE. Great, the team isn't playing well, no one disagrees with that. How about a positive attitude? How about is 162 game season and everyone stumbles? Could this be the start of something worse? Sure. But it could also be the start of something better, like a turnaround.

I just hate how negative and ridiculous people are here. I bet if the Sox won 162 games, there would be complaining that it wasn't enough. For Christ sake, we are the defending World Champs. Be happy. Generations of Sox fans haven't been able to say that. And all you people can do is complain.

tebman
07-26-2006, 12:39 PM
I don't know if they'll make the post-season. I don't really care; that won't define whether or not I as a fan enjoy the 2006 baseball season. The way they play baseball will, and right now they're not playing so that we fans are enjoying the season.
I'll second that. It's not losses per se that bother me, it's when losses happen because of substandard or uninspired play.

There are no guarantees, only effort/execution and probabilities. Last year was magical because the team's effort played right into the probabilities that they would win. Over the last month we've seen the reverse: the team's lack of effort/execution has played right into the Tigers' probabilities.

I don't have a silver-bullet answer, but wish to hell I did. It's a Zen-like thing, that confident focus on doing the right thing at the right moment that makes the difference. The Sox had it last year and the Tigers appear to have it so far this year. How to get it back? I have no idea.

Anybody know a Zen master? :tongue:

flo-B-flo
07-26-2006, 12:54 PM
The starters are almost 1 run higher in their ERA than last year. No matter, I don't give up until they are mathematically eliminated. Watching almost a lifetime of crappy baseball makes you immune to the stress brought on by underachievement. Hopefully, they break out of this funk soon.

soxfanatlanta
07-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Anybody know a Zen master? :tongue:

http://www.kepplerspeakers.com/speakers/pics/jackson-p.jpg

"Sorry - I've got problems of my own."

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 01:45 PM
No. 2:

How about these from Vince Lombardi?

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"

"Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing-the result."

"Winning is not a sometime thing: it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious."

See I know how to use the Internet as well!

:D:

Lip

nebraskasox
07-26-2006, 01:53 PM
One thing that can be said about Sox fans is that we are passionate and invest a lot of emotion into our team. This thread is just another example.

Personally, I think it's the nature of long time Sox fans, who have lived through a lot of heartbreak and disappointment, to be pessimistic. It doesn't make you less of a fan, just one who hopes for the best but braces for and maybe even expects the worst because we've seen it many times before.

But I also think that we are in a new era of White Sox baseball. The championship and this year's playoff race is ample evidence. This year's team has a good shot at back to back playoffs for the first time in team history. The last couple of weeks have been frustrating and depressing but, given where we stand and the talent level of this club, there is good reason to be optimistic about another playoff appearance.

Add fan passion into the mix and you get the range of emotions expressed in this and other current threads. It's not about being right or wrong, it's about the roller coaster ride of a long baseball season and the passion and diversity of our fan base.

Hopefully, we can all be respectful of the variety of fan emotions and our talented team snaps out of this funk soon so we can get back to enjoying the ride.

Tekijawa
07-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I would like to ask all of you who are ready to, or have already have given up on this team to not pick up your season ticket options for next year. I would like to move up a little closer to the field next year so I can get a better view of "Moe, Larry, and Schemp".

Thank you,
Teki

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-26-2006, 02:05 PM
I would like to ask all of you who are ready to, or have already have given up on this team to not pick up your season ticket options for next year. I would like to move up a little closer to the field next year so I can get a better view of "Moe, Larry, and Schemp".

Thank you,
Teki

Yeah, what he said. :D:

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Wow. You can tell who exactly Reifert was thinking about when he wrote his blog. Kudos to Scott! As for the people who don't get what he was saying, I'm not surprised.

Nobody is saying that everyone should be like "Yay! We're losing. Don't worry, we are still going to win it all!" However, there is no reason to say "This team is garbage. They suck. They aren't going anywhere this year." The unfortunate thing about the people saying the latter, they think they are "realists" and usually throw out the term "dark cloud" before anyone else even calls them that. You guys saying that are pessimists, the exact people that Reifert was writing about.

The reality is that the White Sox have one of the top 5 records in all of major league baseball. They are also 19 games over .500 and in the lead for the wildcard. The reality is that they have also been slumping since just before the all star break. The pitching was a major concern, but looks to be improving. Unfortunately, situational hitting has also become a problem. The biggest reality of all is that you are a fan and have very little, if any at all, control over the situation.

What can you, as a fan, do? Have hope. Have hope until it is really over. Of course you can criticize, but keep in mind "so and so sucks" is not criticism. Offer intelligent criticism. Contemplate and discuss what the team needs to do to get better, but realize that you have absolutely no control over it.

Now, since this is a rather long post, I imagine that those who really need to read it won't and will just continue to piss and moan because that is what they seem to do best.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Palehose:

In some ways I agree with you, saying so and so sucks adds nothing to the discussion. Tell me why he sucks. At least that's the basis for a discussion.

That's the philosophy I use in my post game call in show for Idaho State.

Lip

MarySwiss
07-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Wow. You can tell who exactly Reifert was thinking about when he wrote his blog. Kudos to Scott! As for the people who don't get what he was saying, I'm not surprised.

Nobody is saying that everyone should be like "Yay! We're losing. Don't worry, we are still going to win it all!" However, there is no reason to say "This team is garbage. They suck. They aren't going anywhere this year." The unfortunate thing about the people saying the latter, they think they are "realists" and usually throw out the term "dark cloud" before anyone else even calls them that. You guys saying that are pessimists, the exact people that Reifert was writing about.

The reality is that the White Sox have one of the top 5 records in all of major league baseball. They are also 19 games over .500 and in the lead for the wildcard. The reality is that they have also been slumping since just before the all star break. The pitching was a major concern, but looks to be improving. Unfortunately, situational hitting has also become a problem. The biggest reality of all is that you are a fan and have very little, if any at all, control over the situation.

What can you, as a fan, do? Have hope. Have hope until it is really over. Of course you can criticize, but keep in mind "so and so sucks" is not criticism. Offer intelligent criticism. Contemplate and discuss what the team needs to do to get better, but realize that you have absolutely no control over it.

Now, since this is a rather long post, I imagine that those who really need to read it won't and will just continue to piss and moan because that is what they seem to do best.

PH13, I don't know if I really needed to read it, but I did. And IMO, the"you are a fan..." line pretty much sums up the way I feel. I'm not pitching, hitting, or coaching this team, so all I can do is "root, root, root for the White Sox."

I have not stopped believing.

fquaye149
07-26-2006, 05:26 PM

Such fans are like those who have their heart broken at a young age and vow never to fully give their heart away again, lest it be broken again. They never know the same pain as those who put themselves out there fully, but they also never experience the same happiness...

I'm not saying it's a perfect analogy, and I'm not trying to take away from anyone's joy last year...but I'm just saying this behavior is a defense mechanism: expect the worse, don't even HOPE for the best, and then if the best happens you're pleasantly shocked

Palehose13
07-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Palehose:

In some ways I agree with you, saying so and so sucks adds nothing to the discussion. Tell me why he sucks. At least that's the basis for a discussion.

That's the philosophy I use in my post game call in show for Idaho State.

Lip

Lip, I agree with you. If you want to say someone sucks, at the very least say why you have come to that conclusion and possibly add what might be done to improve the situation. Otherwise all you are doing in participating in juvenile banter.

miker
07-26-2006, 06:23 PM
No. 2:

How about these from Vince Lombardi?

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"

"Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing-the result."

"Winning is not a sometime thing: it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious."
Vince would really be out of place in our current world of touchy-feely no-score kid's sport leagues and the rampant popularity of the "Wrigley Field experience."

digdagdug23
07-26-2006, 06:24 PM
I posted this at the blog site, but felt the need to reiterate my feelings here.

Even though I am to the point of being thoroughly dissappointed at times, I love this team more than other other team in the country. This includes my undying support for the Bulls, Bears, and any of my kids many high school and club sports teams. I look at it like this:

I have been a fan since life began for me, lo' those 40 years ago. Through it all, there have been so many lows, and quite a few of the ultimate highs, much the same as my life. This team has become a part of our family, and the love is unconditional.

I have 3 children, and do not always like the things that they do, and I, more often than not, disagree with the choices they make. But they are my children, and even though they sometimes do not use the best decision making skills, perform to the best of their abilities, exhibit their best 100% of the time, I love them the same. I may not always like you, but I will always love you, and certainly never turn my back on you.

I may not always like this team, but I will always love them. yes, it breaks my heart sometimes, but I still love them, and always be a true fan of my team, much as I am of my children.

I will be your biggest fan, your strongest supporter, and pick you up when you falter. My love does not hinge on the wins/loss column, and it is certainly not performance-based. through good and bad, thick and thin, you hold a place in my heart, which will never be replaced by another.

fquaye149
07-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Vince would really be out of place in our current world of touchy-feely no-score kid's sport leagues and the rampant popularity of the "Wrigley Field experience."

Oh come on. Winning's plenty important to every pro sports team not called the Cubs.

And I'm pretty sure most sports leagues keep score...at least they did when i played in them in the late '90's (at the height of the PC era). Sure T-ball leagues don't really keep score...but the ones that do, it's pretty silly. Do you really think it's that important to teach a bunch of 5 year olds who don't even possess the basic fundamental skills how to have the "killer instinct"?

cheezheadsoxfan
07-26-2006, 06:39 PM
I posted this at the blog site, but felt the need to reiterate my feelings here.

Even though I am to the point of being thoroughly dissappointed at times, I love this team more than other other team in the country. This includes my undying support for the Bulls, Bears, and any of my kids many high school and club sports teams. I look at it like this:

I have been a fan since life began for me, lo' those 40 years ago. Through it all, there have been so many lows, and quite a few of the ultimate highs, much the same as my life. This team has become a part of our family, and the love is unconditional.

I have 3 children, and do not always like the things that they do, and I, more often than not, disagree with the choices they make. But they are my children, and even though they sometimes do not use the best decision making skills, perform to the best of their abilities, exhibit their best 100% of the time, I love them the same. I may not always like you, but I will always love you, and certainly never turn my back on you.

I may not always like this team, but I will always love them. yes, it breaks my heart sometimes, but I still love them, and always be a true fan of my team, much as I am of my children.

I will be your biggest fan, your strongest supporter, and pick you up when you falter. My love does not hinge on the wins/loss column, and it is certainly not performance-based. through good and bad, thick and thin, you hold a place in my heart, which will never be replaced by another.

Thank you for putting into words what I'm not articulate enough to do. Those are my feelings exactly.

miker
07-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Oh come on. Winning's plenty important to every pro sports team not called the Cubs.

And I'm pretty sure most sports leagues keep score...at least they did when i played in them in the late '90's (at the height of the PC era). Sure T-ball leagues don't really keep score...but the ones that do, it's pretty silly. Do you really think it's that important to teach a bunch of 5 year olds who don't even possess the basic fundamental skills how to have the "killer instinct"?
Hey ease up man, I just said Vince would feel out of place!

fquaye149
07-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Hey ease up man, I just said Vince would feel out of place!

I'm just saying...I don't think the world's as touchy feely as you think....people still play to win at the levels where playing to win is actually important (sometimes at the high school level, even). in the real world, do you think corporations care if everyone's self-esteem is ok? do you think sports fans care if jon garland's self-esteem is all right? if they do, it's because they're worried it effects his performance. and if it effects his performance they call him a soft-head.

vince lombardi would not feel so out of place as you might think. i think sox fans would love to have vince lombardi as coach of their favorite football team. hell i think all sports fans would (as long as they're not cub fans)...

but this is definitely on topic:tongue: