PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between a 2-seam fastball and a sinker?

whitesoxfan1986
07-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Is there a difference? if so please elaborate.

Brian26
07-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Essentially the same pitch.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-25-2006, 09:11 PM
I think there's a difference by the way you hold the ball on the stitches.

ND_Sox_Fan
07-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Is there a difference? if so please elaborate.

Two-seam fastball is held on the seams, sinker is held on the leather part of the ball. Fingers are slightly farther apart than the two-seamer, but not as far as the forkball.

Brian26
07-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Two-seam fastball is held on the seams, sinker is held on the leather part of the ball. Fingers are slightly farther apart than the two-seamer, but not as far as the forkball.

I'm pretty sure the sinker is held on the seams too.

ND_Sox_Fan
07-25-2006, 10:11 PM

That is another way to throw it. The two-seamer is held on the two seams at their narrowest distance apart. The other way to throw the skinker is to hold it on the two seams at their furthest distance apart; however, not across the seams like the 4-seamer.

ND_Sox_Fan
07-25-2006, 10:28 PM
That is another way to throw it. The two-seamer is held on the two seams at their narrowest distance apart. The other way to throw the skinker is to hold it on the two seams at their furthest distance apart; however, not across the seams like the 4-seamer.

Now that I think about it, this is more of a splitter than a sinker.

The sinker is just finger placement variations on the two-seamer. My brother throws it by moving his fingers inside of the horsehoe seams, and I have seen it with the fingers outside of the horsehoe seams at the "top".

StatHead21
07-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Both pitches can be held different ways, its basically the same pitch.

For some pitchers it sinks and runs in towards righties. (thrown by a righty)

For some pitchers it just runs towards righties. (thrown by a righty)

It just depends on the pitcher. Both pitches create ground balls, the sinker just creates more grounders.

For example Garland throws a sinker and Contreras throws a 2-seamer. Maddux throws a sinker, Zamrbrano throws a 2-seamer.

Luke
07-26-2006, 08:18 AM

I've seen them thrown both ways, with various levels of success. the sinker is a hard pitch to master, but those that do are deadly with it.

Ol' No. 2
07-26-2006, 10:46 AM
I was never a pitcher, but I'm pretty sure the difference isn't the grip, which is essentially the same, but the amount of pressure put on by the fingers as it's released. More downward pressure makes it sink, while less gives it more side-to-side movement.

ChiSox80
07-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Both pitches can be held different ways, its basically the same pitch.

For some pitchers it sinks and runs in towards righties. (thrown by a righty)

For some pitchers it just runs towards righties. (thrown by a righty)

It just depends on the pitcher. Both pitches create ground balls, the sinker just creates more grounders.

For example Garland throws a sinker and Contreras throws a 2-seamer. Maddux throws a sinker, Zamrbrano throws a 2-seamer.

Bingo was his name-o. You can have a 2-seamer that sinks, but you can't have a sinker that tails. Really, a very good sinking 2-seamer is a lot better than a really good sinker. It moves on two planes.