PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade B Mac for Zito

Whitesox4ever
07-25-2006, 06:16 PM
From Ken Rosenthal

Zito remains with the A's, it won't be because A's GM Billy Beane was unwilling to trade him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5813260_36_2.jpgA's GM Billy Beane seems interested in trading pitcher Barry Zito. (Jacobsohn / Getty Images)Beane would move Zito without hesitation if the Mets offered Class AAA outfielder Lastings Milledge or the White Sox offered right-hander Brandon McCarthy in multi-player packages.

Daver
07-25-2006, 06:17 PM
You're kidding right?

Whitesox4ever
07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
You're kidding right?

Ken Rosenthal must have been smoking the pipe when he came up with this

StatHead21
07-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Brandon is the 3rd best starter on the Sox, why get another overrated starter?

Crede_Fan
07-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Brandon is going to be really really good. But 3rd best right now? Are you kidding me? Who's your 1 & 2?

pauliemyhero14
07-25-2006, 06:37 PM
i would love having barry zito but its not worth losing macarthy and only having zito for 2 months

Domeshot17
07-25-2006, 06:41 PM
If we got the 72 hour window with zito and he said he would come cheaper, 6 years 11-12 million, I would do it in a heartbeat. Brandon is not a sure thing. He has shown he has great talent and COULD be very good, but Zito is the man.

hold2dibber
07-25-2006, 06:48 PM
No I wouldn't and neither would KW.

bluestar
07-25-2006, 06:48 PM
If we got the 72 hour window with zito and he said he would come cheaper, 6 years 11-12 million, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Do you know who Zito's agent is? Why do you think Beane isn't interested in re-signing Zito?

hold2dibber
07-25-2006, 06:51 PM
If we got the 72 hour window with zito and he said he would come cheaper, 6 years 11-12 million, I would do it in a heartbeat. Brandon is not a sure thing. He has shown he has great talent and COULD be very good, but Zito is the man.

I'm not sure if you mean give Zito 6 years at 11-12 million per year (which would be absolutely insane - the guy isn't nearly that good and that's way above market (see KW's signing of Garland and Contreras in the off-season as a guide)) or if you mean give Zito 6 years for a total of 11-12 million (i.e., 2 million per year) (which Zito would never take in a million years) but either way, I respectfully think you're off your rocker! :redneck

oeo
Brandon is going to be really really good. But 3rd best right now? Are you kidding me? Who's your 1 & 2?

People around here judge these things over how they've played in the last few weeks, or so. There's really no reasoning behind it, besides that Buehrle and Garcia went through some struggles.

McCarthy is not the third best starter...in a big game I'd take Contreras, Garland, Buehrle, or Garcia over McCarthy. In a few years, he will probably be there, but definately not now.

Domeshot17
I know, Zitos agent is Boras, I said IF that would happen I would do the trade, implying that if that didnt happen, I wouldnt.

Edit: Contreras signed cheap.

Zito at 11 a year when AJ burnett is making that, Garland will make more than that next year, is a steal. This guy is a former cy young winner who can dominate a game. He had a bad season when he changed his mechanics, but has come back to form. I think everyone is allowed to have a bad year, PK for example

MrX
07-25-2006, 07:06 PM
You won't get the window. Borass won't negotiate until the winter meetings when he can get the dumb GMs with a lot of money to bid against themselves.

SABRSox
07-25-2006, 07:09 PM
This is pretty funny.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-25-2006, 07:11 PM
No. We have McCarthy under a control for a very long time. Zito would be a 2-month rental.

Daver
07-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Let's view this in realistic terms.

You want to trade a young pitcher, with enormous potential, for a pitcher, that while a proven winner, also has proven to have problems with both his mechanics and his attitude. He has also refused to accept coaching in the past, has been accused of not being dilligent in his preparation and offseason conditioning, and has been refferred to as someone that has interests outside his job that he would rather concentrate on.

I don't see Kenny jumping on a deal of that nature.

hold2dibber
07-25-2006, 07:21 PM
I know, Zitos agent is Boras, I said IF that would happen I would do the trade, implying that if that didnt happen, I wouldnt.

Edit: Contreras signed cheap.

Zito at 11 a year when AJ burnett is making that, Garland will make more than that next year, is a steal. This guy is a former cy young winner who can dominate a game. He had a bad season when he changed his mechanics, but has come back to form. I think everyone is allowed to have a bad year, PK for example

I went back and looked, and he has been better than I thought over his career. Still, assuming (despite Uncle Jerry's recent fiscal generosity) that the payroll does have its limit, I can't see signing Zito to a long-term, big $ deal unless the Sox can divest themselves of Vazquez. But you have a point - if the Sox could sign Zito to a long-term deal, it would be tough to pass him up, even if meant losing McCarthy. Contreras/Buehrle/Garland/Zito/Garcia is a filthy rotation (I'm in the camp that believes Buehrle and Garcia will bounce back).

Tragg
07-25-2006, 07:21 PM
Trade McCarthy to rent Zito? That would be a ridiculously awful move...the only thing I could think of sillier would be to trade him to rent Soriano :cool:

hold2dibber
07-25-2006, 07:23 PM

You want to trade a young pitcher, with enormous potential, for a pitcher, that while a proven winner, also has proven to have problems with both his mechanics and his attitude. He has also refused to accept coaching in the past, has been accused of not being dilligent in his preparation and offseason conditioning, and has been refferred to as someone that has interests outside his job that he would rather concentrate on.

I'm not saying I'd necessarily do it, but despite all of the other stuff, the fact remains, as you point out, that Zito is a proven winner. So the other "baggage" can't be all that bad.

The Immigrant
07-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Trade McCarthy to rent Zito? That would be a ridiculously awful move...the only thing I could think of sillier would be to trade him to rent Soriano :cool:

I disagree. Trading McCarthy and Anderson to rent Schmidt would be eminently and indisputably sillier. But I agree with you that this idea belongs near the top of the list of "Stupid Trade Proposals - Summer 2006."

Tragg
07-25-2006, 07:30 PM
I disagree. Trading McCarthy and Anderson to rent Schmidt would be eminently and indisputably sillier. But I agree with you that this idea belongs near the top of the list of "Stupid Trade Proposals - Summer 2006."

Good lord, don't get my blood-pressure going...you're right, that is sillier.

hold2dibber
07-25-2006, 07:32 PM
I disagree. Trading McCarthy and Anderson to rent Schmidt would be eminently and indisputably sillier.

Good Lord - did someone actually and seriously suggest that on here?

shes
07-25-2006, 07:38 PM

I don't, either, BUT Zito gives us a much better chance to win this year. Brandon has been decent, if inconsistent, coming out of the pen. Losing him for the rest of the year would not dent us irrecovably, especially with MacDougal coming over. Adding Zito for the stretch drive makes us much better in the area where we're having the most problems. You can question the man's attitude and commitment to his job, but I wouldn't be willing to bet that the guy won't try his damndest to put a ring on his finger. I think he's smart enough to know that this would be the best chance he would have to do so.

That said, you don't make the trade unless you can re-sign him immediately, which we won't be able to do. And KW said he's not moving Brandon, anyway, so it's really kind of pointless to talk about...

Brian26
07-25-2006, 09:02 PM
If we got the 72 hour window with zito and he said he would come cheaper, 6 years 11-12 million, I would do it in a heartbeat.

What planet are you living on? 6 years, 11-12 million?

Talent aside, it's a terrible move financially.

Brian26
07-25-2006, 09:05 PM

I find it amusing how quickly people here want to spend Jerry's money. At some point, even though he's loosened the purse strings lately, there has to be some fiscal responsibility. BMac is a cheap, talented option for the next five years. It would be insane to get rid of him for someone of arguably (potentially) the same talent for so much more money.

cbrownson13
07-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Do you know who Zito's agent is? Why do you think Beane isn't interested in re-signing Zito?

:borass:
"Not because of me. GMs LOVE me!"

thomas35forever
07-26-2006, 02:08 AM
:threadsucks

white sox bill
07-26-2006, 07:34 AM

Has Bmac even started this yr?!

NonetheLoaiza
07-26-2006, 08:16 AM
It would depend on who the "multiple players" in the deal are. When I first heard Soriano was "close to coming the Sox", I immediatly thought they might spin him off to the A's for Zito, but it all depends on who the other players in this deal are. I just don't understand getting rid of McCarthy for Zito straight up. The Sox would have to be getting someone else for it to make any sense, but I would rather them just keep McCarthy.

Beer Can Chicken
07-26-2006, 01:11 PM

It order to be a 3rd best starter it usually helps if you are an actual starter......

Maybe we can give him Vazquez for Zito? That way Mr. Moneyball can have Loaiza AND Vasquez.