PDA

View Full Version : Andy Van Slyke's comments

MVP
07-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Andy Van Slyke said that he probably "would've decked Ozzie Guillen right on the spot" if Guillen had gone off on him that way he did on Jon Garland during Sunday's game. Van Slyke said that some people may view Guillen's actions as being typical of a "latin"- not that he felt that way personally himself- but that he knows some people may view it that way. Now who can't shut up?

SoxFan78
07-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Andy Van Slyke said that he probably "would've decked Ozzie Guillen right on the spot" if Guillen had gone off on him that way he did on Jon Garland during Sunday's game. Van Slyke said that some people may view Guillen's actions as being typical of a "latin"- not that he felt that way personally himself- but that he knows some people may view it that way. Now who can't shut up?

Doubtful. Thats a safe thing to say when you have been out of the big leagues for years.

Im sure a manager has yelled at him, and he hasn't hit any of them.

Blah, blah, blah.

BeviBall!
07-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Do we even know what was said to Garland for sure? I like how Ozzie has the same set of rules for everyone on this team, one through twenty-five.

QCIASOXFAN
07-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I heard that bit also, why is he trying to act like a tough guy? I'm sure if his team sucked he would not have had the balls to say anything.

salty99
07-25-2006, 03:20 PM
I think what's also being missed here is that in the SOuthtown it was reported that Garland whispered something in Guillen's ear which casued him to go off even more.

soxinem1
07-25-2006, 03:20 PM
I heard that bit also, why is he trying to act like a tough guy? I'm sure if his team sucked he would not have had the balls to say anything.

Leyland was his Manager for years, and JL went toe to toe with Barry Bonds when he had a beef with him in the past. If JL would have went off on Van Slyke and he would have 'decked him', JL would have knocked him off the planet and the team.

CommanderPudge72
07-25-2006, 03:27 PM

I'd believe this from Rob Dibble...but Mandy Van Slyke....don't think so....hit his manager, ok, welcome to differnt Field of Dreams.

Guess he never had the opportunity to flex that attitude in the bigs...

Congratulations, Van Slyke..you're a postuering macho dweeb.

southside rocks
07-25-2006, 03:33 PM
I think what's also being missed here is that in the SOuthtown it was reported that Garland whispered something in Guillen's ear which casued him to go off even more.

Yeah, I saw that this morning.
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/251sd3.htm

Inquiring minds want to know!

AuroraSoxFan
07-25-2006, 03:33 PM
I always liked Van Slyke as a player. He sure had a hell of a glove. But he's just talking tough. I wouldn't put too much stock into what he said on some interview. I never recall him decking anyone. He's just trying to cause more distractions in our clubhouse and get Ozzie to rant and draw more scrutiny from everyone. And sadly, it will probably work.

QCIASOXFAN
07-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I saw that this morning.
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/251sd3.htm

Inquiring minds want to know!Wow, I did not know that part of the story. If only our pitchers could just drill the hitters.:rolleyes:

fquaye149
07-25-2006, 05:07 PM
When VanSlyke ran his fat, stupid mouth after the fact about Bonds, I figured Bonds had it coming and gave him a pass.

What the **** is his problem here?

a.) Van Slyke's not a pitcher

b.) Van Slyke's played for the ****ing Pittsburgh Pirates

why the hell should anyone care what he has to say about this situation.

southside rocks
07-25-2006, 05:54 PM
When VanSlyke ran his fat, stupid mouth after the fact about Bonds, I figured Bonds had it coming and gave him a pass.

What the **** is his problem here?

a.) Van Slyke's not a pitcher

b.) Van Slyke's played for the ****ing Pittsburgh Pirates

why the hell should anyone care what he has to say about this situation.
And why would the first-base coach for the Detroit Tigers even comment on this? I mean, he wouldn't be trying to mess with some White Sox minds and foment a little clubhouse dissent, would he? How on earth would that help his team?

Okay, so a clubhouse of 30-some individuals, all with huge egos, may not always sit around holding hands and singing "Kumbaya." I really don't think that means that Ozzie is "losing" his team. :?: Besides, didn't we hear this kind of garbage last summer, too?

Or maybe Van Slyke meant to say that Dmitri Young would knock Ozzie down if Ozzie ever went off on Dmitri. Now that I believe.

Domeshot17
07-25-2006, 05:59 PM
possible things Garland told Guillen

(1) I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to gieko

(2) Mariotti is coming back from vacation soon

(3) Sorry skip can you repeat that, I didnt understand a word

(4) Its cool dude, relax

(5) Can't do anything about it, I have a no trade clause!!

ShoelessJoeS
07-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Heard Ozzie's comeback on 670....

:ozzie
"That's why I manage and he coaches first base"

Classic Ozzie!

DaleJRFan
07-25-2006, 06:20 PM
If the Sox were 7.5 games up in their division, everyone would be commending Ozzie for bitching out Garland. Since the Sox are close to falling into third place and caught up in a big ol slump, everyone is taking their shots at Ozzie.

Van Slyke, just shut up.

The Immigrant
07-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Andy Van Slyke, who you crappin'?

fquaye149
07-25-2006, 07:00 PM
(4) Its cool dude, relax

LOL...that might not need to be teal

MarySwiss
07-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Heard Ozzie's comeback on 670....

:ozzie
"That's why I manage and he coaches first base"

Classic Ozzie!

Sweet!

infohawk
07-25-2006, 07:06 PM
Andy Van Slyke said that he probably "would've decked Ozzie Guillen right on the spot" if Guillen had gone off on him that way he did on Jon Garland during Sunday's game. Van Slyke said that some people may view Guillen's actions as being typical of a "latin"- not that he felt that way personally himself- but that he knows some people may view it that way. Now who can't shut up? You know what really ticks me off? The media generate so much of this "controversy" stuff. They get a quote from Van Slyke and then run to Ozzie for his reaction. But for the reporters, Ozzie may not be aware of half the stuff that is said. They then take Ozzie's comments and scrutinize if he "went to far" and is becoming a distraction to the club. Then they circle the wagons around their media brethren when their coverage is criticized. They're like little cockroaches hanging around the clubhouse trying to stir things up.

Blueprint1
07-25-2006, 07:09 PM
I feel much better now that I know what Andy Van Slyke thinks. Maybe he can tell us how to coke in the playoffs every year now.

southside rocks
07-25-2006, 10:16 PM
You know what really ticks me off? The media generate so much of this "controversy" stuff. They get a quote from Van Slyke and then run to Ozzie for his reaction. But for the reporters, Ozzie may not be aware of half the stuff that is said. They then take Ozzie's comments and scrutinize if he "went to far" and is a becoming a distraction to the club. Then they circle the wagons around their media brethren when their coverage is criticized. They're like little cockroaches hanging around the clubhouse trying to stir things up.

Exactly. I heard some little twit with a radio show on the Score this evening, when I was in the car, getting all wound up about the Van Slyke thing -- but he never ONCE said "who the bleep is this guy and why is he commenting about something that doesn't concern him or his club" -- no, it was all "oh, the fans are getting tired of Ozzie doing this, blah blah blah blah." If I could stand the idea of talking to a cockroach, I'd call his show, but I just turn off the radio...

fquaye149
07-25-2006, 10:18 PM
I feel much better now that I know what Andy Van Slyke thinks. Maybe he can tell us how to coke in the playoffs every year now.

it wasn't daryl strawberry who said these things...

HotelWhiteSox
07-25-2006, 10:25 PM
You know what really ticks me off? The media generate so much of this "controversy" stuff. They get a quote from Van Slyke and then run to Ozzie for his reaction. But for the reporters, Ozzie may not be aware of half the stuff that is said. They then take Ozzie's comments and scrutinize if he "went to far" and is a becoming a distraction to the club. Then they circle the wagons around their media brethren when their coverage is criticized. They're like little cockroaches hanging around the clubhouse trying to stir things up.

Nailed it on the head. Van Slyke didn't call up Sporting News Radio to vent about Ozzie, they obviously asked him about it, doesn't make him less than an idiot, but yeah, now the Chicago media is helping out in this little game of tag and now 'ooo another Ozzie controversey'.

Ol' No. 2
07-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Van Slyke: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah-blah, blah blah blah blah.

Me: Did you say something?

Is there a reason I'm missing why anyone would care what Andy Van Slyke has to say about this subject?

thomas35forever
07-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Dude, What's the Score?

Domeshot17
07-26-2006, 12:55 AM
dude, I think its fine!

Sox-o-matic
07-26-2006, 01:31 AM
If the Sox were 7.5 games up in their division, everyone would be commending Ozzie for bitching out Garland. Since the Sox are close to falling into third place and caught up in a big ol slump, everyone is taking their shots at Ozzie.

Van Slyke, just shut up.

Agreed, people are taking shots at Ozzie's style of management now because they can. They couldn't before because the Sox were kicking the crap out of every team they were put up against.

Still, I think many of us here, or at least me for sure, love the fact that we have a manager that will call out players for not doing their job. Garland's job there was to hit Kinsler and he didn't so Ozzie went off, and every single time I see Ozzie pull something like that I thank almighty god that Jerry Manuel is in our dugout no longer.

BTW, this is kind of off topic, but where in the bloody hell do Andy Van Slyke and the rest of these turds get their egos from? Not one ****ing player on that team knows one ****ing thing about winning. Not one. Ivan Rodriguez lucked into a one year deal with Florida at the right time after crying about Texas not shelling out a huge contract for him, and then after winning the World Series shows his true colors again and makes the lowly Tigers absurdly overpay for him because they were a dog**** organization. I mean seriously, besides a bunch of rookies and young players only used to getting their butts handed to them, who else is there? Kenny Rogers? Maggs? Please. Detroit has some spunk now, no doubt, but they are not as good as their record indicates and I refuse to believe otherwise. To me, the last few years of Detroit's organization is like a heavy weight title fight, where one guy beats the living hell out of some scrub for eight rounds, getting saved by the bell each time, and then stands up in round nine and comes out with a fury. I hope they all enjoy it over there, because as soon as the Sox get back on their feet they are going to knock that pathetic organization the **** down and back to earth. And if they end up making the playoffs, I hope to god someone out West wins with the crappiest record in the AL because I want to see the Sox do it in the postseason.