PDA

View Full Version : A little perspective

downstairs
07-25-2006, 11:00 AM
The 2006 Detroit Tigers are tied for 25th in terms of record after 99 games. That's throughout ALL MLB HISTORY.

If this division race is lost (its not), its lost to one of the best records of all time. Thems the breaks.

However, we all knew this would be a race. Surprise. Its the Wild Card race, and we're friggin' winning.

It getting tiring hearing this junk about "all this losing". ALL THIS LOSING?!?! You mean the 39 games out of 98?!?

I'm getting sick of hearing about "problems." Problems?!?! We're defending world champions and would be in the playoffs if the season ended today (98 games).

If you want guaranteed wins go buy the White Sox 2005 playoffs DVDs and just watch them. We win 11/12 of those games. Easy watching.

BeviBall!
07-25-2006, 11:11 AM
The 2006 Detroit Tigers are tied for 25th in terms of record after 99 games. That's throughout ALL MLB HISTORY.

If this division race is lost (its not), its lost to one of the best records of all time. Thems the breaks.

However, we all knew this would be a race. Surprise. Its the Wild Card race, and we're friggin' winning.

It getting tiring hearing this junk about "all this losing". ALL THIS LOSING?!?! You mean the 39 games out of 98?!?

I'm getting sick of hearing about "problems." Problems?!?! We're defending world champions and would be in the playoffs if the season ended today (98 games).

If you want guaranteed wins go buy the White Sox 2005 playoffs DVDs and just watch them. We win 11/12 of those games. Easy watching.

We should start the game threads with this so people can get a sense that we still control our own destiny. We'll all be in a better mood once we rip off 3 or 4 in a row.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-25-2006, 11:14 AM
We should start the game threads with this so people can get a sense that we still control our own destiny. We'll all be in a better mood once we rip off 3 or 4 in a row.

Win 2 series, 2 out of 3 games and everyone begins to breathe again. It's coming, and it's only July 25. The Tigers are red hot, and kudos to them - but even they are due for a cold patch.

35th&Shields
07-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Win 2 series, 2 out of 3 games and everyone begins to breathe again. It's coming, and it's only July 25. The Tigers are red hot, and kudos to them - but even they are due for a cold patch.
The law of averages will come into play for Detroit just like it did for us last year. It's impossible to keep up the pace for a whole season especially when the Sox will get better (it can't get worse) and the Twins playing well. Detroit is due for some L's.

sox1970
07-25-2006, 11:32 AM

What you're not taking into consideration is that Twins have been playing great baseball for two months, and the Sox have not. Even when the Sox were winning in June, it was primarily offense. With the remaining schedule they have, they won't be able to bash their way to victory. What did we see first hand last year? Pitching wins. Which pitching staff would you rather have the rest of the season--Twins or White Sox? I'd take the Twins at this point, and in the end the better pitching staff will win the wildcard.

Procol Harum
07-25-2006, 11:33 AM

So you would think....but we've been saying that now since the end of May. And then there's the Yankees and stinkin' Twinks all red-hot as well.

Can't blame any Sox fans for feeling pretty frustrated--who could have imagined at the beginning of the season that this Tiger squad could actually be a game and a half BETTER than the Sox' record at this time last season when we were on pace to win 107 games? Or that the Twins could play .800 ball over a six weeks+ stretch--while missing some of their best people? But that's baseball, folks--ain't no easy ways to figure the game out-- ultimately, every season is its own entity.

credefan24
07-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Save Vasquez, the pitching is coming around. Garland, Jose and Freddy all pitched pretty well in their last outings. Buerhle, well, hopefully he'll come around. But it seems that the problem has shifted to timely hitting, which was always there for us.

I guess a silver lining is that the bunting is back. Sort of. Ah well, I'm just looking for something to cheer me up!

PaulDrake
07-25-2006, 11:37 AM

Those who speak of "problems" are only recognizing reality. It doesn't make them a dark cloud (ugh) or a wimp or disloyal. I wouldn't want to take this team right now into the playoffs. It'd be three and out. No I'm not throwing in the towel, but time is short to get it going again. Tonight and tomorrow would be a great place to start.

southside rocks
07-25-2006, 11:38 AM
I guess a silver lining is that the bunting is back. Sort of. Ah well, I'm just looking for something to cheer me up!

Brian Anderson is the silver lining. :D:

soxfanatlanta
07-25-2006, 11:41 AM

You have to add Garland to that short list; he is our best starter right now.

soxfan13
07-25-2006, 11:44 AM
You have to add Garland to that short list; he is our best starter right now.

Hes our stopper right now. Stopped the slide against NY and again against Detroit.

downstairs
07-25-2006, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't want to take this team right now into the playoffs. It'd be three and out.

Because of course 98 games can be any statistical indicator of how a team would do in 3 specific games against an unknown opponent.

:kukoo:

FedEx227
07-25-2006, 12:07 PM
You guys do know that the Twins are 2 games behind us?

I love this everything will be alright mentality... great, okay... how about we look at the standings. Our Wild Card lead is minimal, and the Minnesota Twins are playing fantastic baseball through the leadership of two amazing pitchers. They don't appear to be slowing down, nor do the Tigers... but I forgot everything is going to be alright, we'll reel off 4-5 wins in a row.

Why? Because we won a World Series last year! Great logic.

LongLiveFisk
07-25-2006, 12:08 PM

You mean he's the blond lining. :wink:

soxfanatlanta
07-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Because of course 98 games can be any statistical indicator of how a team would do in 3 specific games against an unknown opponent.

:kukoo:

Help me understand how it is not.

downstairs
07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
but I forgot everything is going to be alright, we'll reel off 4-5 wins in a row.

No, because we have the 3rd best record in all of Major League Baseball in 2006. That's why.

You don't get to pick and choose which games count. They all do. And when you total them all up, we're doing better than Minnesota, New York... actually every damn team except Boston and Detroit*.

*Who, as I mentioned, is having one of the best seasons IN ALL OF MAJOR LEAGUE HISTORY.

downstairs
07-25-2006, 12:14 PM
And, while I'm ranting...

Slumps happen in coin flipping too.

Call me when our "slump" puts us 5 games out of a playoff spot.

digdagdug23
07-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Save Vasquez

You save him, I am throwing him a cinder block.

EdHerman12
07-25-2006, 12:19 PM
It wouldn't be so bad if the Tigers were dropping a few games, but they are really taking it to teams and this has been going on since June. I mean come on they're the first team to score 5 runs in the 1st inning three straight games since some team from the 1800's! Yes anything can happen in the next several weeks, but with the Twins and Yankees on the Sox rear end every gut wrenching loss is worse than the next. I know a bunch of you guys remember '67....I was only 4 years old, but my late Father and my older brother remember the terrible feeling especially when they went and got swept by the last place KC A's.

I for one will not give up hope. Baseball has changed with the free agent system today. Gone are the dynasties like Oakland in the 70's, and the Yankees who expect to win the title every year. We have the horses to get back to the big dance, now it's time for the team to step up and play like Champions....maybe the White Sox can be that next dynasty....keep the faith everyone.

GO SOX!

credefan24
07-25-2006, 12:32 PM
You save him, I am throwing him a cinder block.

"Save Vasquez"= "except for Vasquez"

t_willystyle
07-25-2006, 12:35 PM
can you say underachieving...

but maybe they were just overachieving last year.

Or, maybe the twins and tigers are just better teams...period.

digdagdug23
07-25-2006, 12:39 PM
"Save Vasquez"= "except for Vasquez"
I know what it means, I just thought it funny that the choice of wording was 'save Vaszquez', because right now he isn't worth saving.

Geesh.

:rolleyes:

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-25-2006, 12:58 PM
But that's baseball, folks--ain't no easy ways to figure the game out-- ultimately, every season is its own entity.

Well said.

aryzner
07-25-2006, 12:59 PM
I do believe that the White Sox will turn it around soon but I also must say that if Detroit keeps up their winning like this all season long, they deserve a championship title. Nothing we can do about that, really.

credefan24
07-25-2006, 01:09 PM
In Mid July, and the Sox not in first,
Everyone's waiting for Detroit's bubble to burst.
The offense has lagged, the pitching in a slump,
Just when will Buerhle get over the hump?
Javy's fine until the fifth, but when it gets later,
Everyone just wait, for that sixthing inning tater.

Fans on this board, rightfully fret,
But have no fear, the season is not over yet.
The bats will come back, the pitchers rebound,
Just waiting to beat Detroit in the ground.

2005 is a long time away,
Oh how we WSIers, long for another championship day.
In August you'll see, this team's fighting grit,
With sac bunts, fly balls, and the opposite field hit.

For now I'll root, for the Pale Hose nine,
Just waiting for them to pounce, at just the right time.
A winning streak is coming, I can feel it near,
And that my friends, is what Detroit shall fear.

Lip Man 1
07-25-2006, 01:10 PM
"We've played ourselves into a race..." -- Bill Melton.

Coupled with the comments / inflections from both the lead Sox radio and TV announcers (all guys who have spent a lifetime in baseball) it's clear things are not right on the field (and perhaps in the locker room) on the South Side.

If they are upset, concerned and PO'd, 'downstairs' that's good enough for me.

Lip

hi im skot
07-25-2006, 01:15 PM

:supernana:

southside rocks
07-25-2006, 01:18 PM
"We've played ourselves into a race..." -- Bill Melton.

Coupled with the comments / inflections from both the lead Sox radio and TV announcers (all guys who have spent a lifetime in baseball) it's clear things are not right on the field (and perhaps in the locker room) on the South Side.

If they are upset, concerned and PO'd, 'downstairs' that's good enough for me.

Lip

It's hard not to get the sense that there is something wrong on the ballclub.

Here's what I propose, for the team: everyone take off the WS ring and put it away. Don't take it out again until November 1. Forget that you've been there before and act like you've never been there before. Because I think that this is where we're seeing how hard it is psychologically for a club to repeat.

I'm very willing to be wrong and I hope I am, and I am in no way writing off this team and this season. I just don't know why, since the end of June, they've been as flat as month-old club soda!

soxfanatlanta
07-25-2006, 01:23 PM

:worship:

Hitmen77
07-25-2006, 02:05 PM
And, while I'm ranting...

Slumps happen in coin flipping too.

Call me when our "slump" puts us 5 games out of a playoff spot.

Ok, we'll call you next week.

credefan24
07-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Bottom line, none of us know what is going to happen. I think we are all just guided by emotions and our intense desire to see this team repeat.
True, we all HOPE that they can pull out of this, but we all just do not know.

Hey, nothing wrong with a little passion. That's why we are fans, and that's why we like to go to site that unabashedly states that its "totally biased!"

C'mon you white sox!!!!

regionsox73
07-25-2006, 02:24 PM
:worship: You guys do know that the Twins are 2 games behind us?

I love this everything will be alright mentality... great, okay... how about we look at the standings. Our Wild Card lead is minimal, and the Minnesota Twins are playing fantastic baseball through the leadership of two amazing pitchers. They don't appear to be slowing down, nor do the Tigers... but I forgot everything is going to be alright, we'll reel off 4-5 wins in a row.

CLR01
07-25-2006, 02:27 PM

and if the Sox are not 5 games back of the wild card by next week we'll look for you come October.

Law11
07-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Bottom line, none of us know what is going to happen. I think we are all just guided by emotions and our intense desire to see this team repeat.
True, we all HOPE that they can pull out of this, but we all just do not know.

Hey, nothing wrong with a little passion. That's why we are fans, and that's why we like to go to site that unabashedly states that its "totally biased!"

C'mon you white sox!!!!

This is twice today Ive totally agreed with a post of yours.. Very well said.
about 1% of those here actually have given up. We are emotional people who bleed for our team. Sometime too the extreme. I liked the post that says get outside and forget it for a while.

Dont let it consume your every minute. This is a fan site for the most
intense sox fans in the world in my opinion. ANd when you add fuel to a heated issue it can get nuts. Remeber folks we are all here for one reason.

WE live and die with the sox. Dont beat up on each other over the same goal. If you get mad, get mad... get angry punch a wall, kick your dog.. (ok dont kick your dog) but get away from a computer if your so hot.. Ive learned to do this this year and its helped...

southside rocks
07-25-2006, 03:13 PM
(ok dont kick your dog) but get away from a computer if your so hot.. Ive learned to do this this year and its helped...

No no no, take your dog for a walk! I took my dogs for a walk during the 6th inning of the game last night and I'm glad I did, it spared me seeing what I did not want to see. :wink:

Hitmen77
07-25-2006, 03:22 PM
and if the Sox are not 5 games back of the wild card by next week we'll look for you come October.

Nah, I'm not a bandwagoner. Even if their 5 games back, I'm following this team to the end.

It should be an interesting ride from here on out. Like Melton said, we've played ourselves into a race. Please pass the Rolaids. :wink:

Law11
07-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Nah, I'm not a bandwagoner. Even if their 5 games back, I'm following this team to the end.

It should be an interesting ride from here on out. Like Melton said, we've played ourselves into a race. Please pass the Rolaids. :wink:

Mmm. chewy...

Hitmen77
07-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Mmm. chewy...http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4670&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1153855775 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4670&d=1153855775)

mmmm...mediciney....just what the doctor ordered.

That should tide me over until Vazquez's next start.:o:

downstairs
07-25-2006, 04:56 PM

You're saying we lose six and a half games to the Yanks in, at most, twelve days?

This is the same logic everyone used at the end of the season last year. We lost 15 games to Cleveland during an entire half season, and it was still nearly impossible that they would have ever caught up with us AND won. I remember personally posting stats as to how many games they'd have to win, and how many we'd have to lose... and it would have required Major League history for it to happen still.

Hitmen77
07-25-2006, 05:36 PM
You're saying we lose six and a half games to the Yanks in, at most, twelve days?

This is the same logic everyone used at the end of the season last year. We lost 15 games to Cleveland during an entire half season, and it was still nearly impossible that they would have ever caught up with us AND won. I remember personally posting stats as to how many games they'd have to win, and how many we'd have to lose... and it would have required Major League history for it to happen still.

In case you couldn't tell, I was just being sarcastic - just reflecting the frustration we all probably feel at this point. Yes, it was pretty ill-conceived. Tried to move on and recover with another post that clarified that I'm not just an October fan. Remarked about Rolaids. Had a nice assist there from Law11.

Ummm...was hoping we could just move on from there. Thanks for bringing it up again (not). Please, icksnay on my ostpay. :whistle:

CaptainBallz
07-25-2006, 06:11 PM

I said it before and I'll say it again here: If the Tigers keep their ridiculous pace for an entire season then, yeah, they deserve the division. If that's the case, there's NO WAY anybody could/should/ or would touch that. That's historic. But personally, I don't think they're a historic team. They're playing well and things are happening for them like it did for the Sox last year,but even that was marred by a second half that was less than stellar. But even the Sox "less-than-stellar" point didn't really kick in until Mid August as far as W-L goes. Everybody's writing every other team in for sure as they're writing the Sox off. I don't believe this is the end...

Lip Man 1
07-25-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm not writing the Sox off but in this stacked American League they simply can't go on like this for much longer. There are to many 'good' teams in the league to expect all of them to have a bad slump to give the Sox an opening.

The Sox have to make their opening by winning.

The wild card is certainly there for the taking, maybe (a long shot) the division itself, but another week, ten days or two weeks of this? Then it begins to get very dicey.

Lip

PaulDrake
07-25-2006, 07:58 PM
:kukoo: I'm not writing the Sox off but in this stacked American League they simply can't go on like this for much longer. There are to many 'good' teams in the league to expect all of them to have a bad slump to give the Sox an opening.

The Sox have to make their opening by winning.

The wild card is certainly there for the taking, maybe (a long shot) the division itself, but another week, ten days or two weeks of this? Then it begins to get very dicey.

Lip The situation is exactly as you put it. Well at least you didn't get called crazy for saying so. :kukoo: Not yet anyway.

TornLabrum
07-25-2006, 08:09 PM
In case you couldn't tell, I was just being sarcastic - just reflecting the frustration we all probably feel at this point. Yes, it was pretty ill-conceived. Tried to move on and recover with another post that clarified that I'm not just an October fan. Remarked about Rolaids. Had a nice assist there from Law11.

Ummm...was hoping we could just move on from there. Thanks for bringing it up again (not). Please, icksnay on my ostpay. :whistle:

A lot of confusion could have been avoided by using teal.

Hitmen77
07-25-2006, 08:15 PM
A lot of confusion could have been avoided by using teal.

Yeah, I realized that in hindsight. Consider me "Teal Policed".